Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Knock

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Knock » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:52 pm

l000needles wrote:What is a TFA applicant?

Teach for America.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:58 pm

tkgrrett wrote:It just occurred to me that if this is all chronological, and they are doing de facto holds, at some point there will be a moment when they go back to the front of the line and we all lose our minds. :shock:

I don't want this place to turn into the CLS thread hysteria....except for maybe the lolcats...

l000needles

Postby l000needles » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:08 am

Knock wrote:

Teach for America.

Do a lot of people that apply to law school do this?

neonx

Postby neonx » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:08 am

l000needles wrote:
Knock wrote:

Teach for America.

More like a good number of TFA alums apply to law school.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:09 am

l000needles wrote:
Knock wrote:

Teach for America.

Nope, i'm sure it's a tiny minority of applicants.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:21 am

Everyone set your alarm clocks early so you'll be awake when Dean Deal calls tomorrow!!!

neonx

Postby neonx » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:26 am

cardinals1989 wrote:Everyone set your alarm clocks early so you'll be awake when Dean Deal calls tomorrow!!!

I hate you. Not really. Always getting my hopes up.

l000needles

Postby l000needles » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:27 am

cardinals1989 wrote:Everyone set your alarm clocks early so you'll be awake when Dean Deal calls tomorrow!!!

I'd rather be woken up by her call. Talk to her in an incoherent, half asleep state and then wonder until the email comes in whether that was real or just a dream. Lol.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:27 am

neonx wrote:

I hate you. Not really. Always getting my hopes up.

:cry: :) :D :mrgreen:

Hope is all that I have at this point.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:28 am

l000needles wrote:

I'd rather be woken up by her call. Talk to her in an incoherent, half asleep state and then wonder until the email comes in whether that was real or just a dream. Lol.

Hahaha :lol:.

SLS2011

Postby SLS2011 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:38 am

r6_philly wrote:
neonx wrote:
lynnford wrote:I got my rejection letter today too. DLS on Friday.

I'm shocked; your numbers are so impressive! Sorry for your loss.

I really wish to get in so I can ask them "What do you look for in an applicant?" :)

I know 5 guys (2 friends; 2 co-workers; 1 is a friend of a friend) who went to SLS. Here is a quick profile of these guys just to give you some ideas.

One of them got four engineering degrees simultaneously! and had 3-4 years of engineering experience.
One of them invented couple of stuff and built a company.
Two of them (my friends) used to work for the prestigious consulting firm Mckinsey & Co for two years. In addition, they each had about 2-3 years of experience in the finance filed working for well known financial firms.
One of them (friend of a friend) left a 6-figure salary to go to law school (after 11 years of professional engineering experience in the IP field).

The common denominator among these people is that you can confidently tell, from a quick glance at their resume, that they are going to make it big (they already have!). This is what Stanford is interested in.

For those who are in undergrad, beside a solid LSAT and GPA, they need to show that they have potential and know what they want to do. Loooots of ECs and "why Stanford essay" is important for these people.

The puzzle approach that Dean Deal talks about matches this picture. They put together a class where the experience of the people above matches with the goals and ambitions of the undergrads with no experience. Now, if you are a undergrad with no experience and did not specify what do you what to do, they cannot tell how you can benefit from sitting next to the guy with four engineering degrees. In contrast, if you specifically said that you are very very interested in IP law, for example, then they know what to do with you.

From now, they start putting the puzzle together. So, pray that you are one of the pieces.

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:41 am

I know 5 guys (2 friends; 2 co-workers; 1 is a friend of a friend) who went to SLS. Here is a quick profile of these guys just to give you some ideas.

One of them got four engineering degrees simultaneously! and had 3-4 years of engineering experience.
Two of them (my friends) used to work for the prestigious consulting firm Mckinsey & Co for two years. In addition, they each had about 2-3 years of experience in the finance filed working for well known financial firms.
One of them (friend of a friend) left a 6-figure salary to go to law school (after 11 years of professional engineering experience in the IP field).

The common denominator among these people is that you can confidently tell, from a quick glance at their resume, that they are going to make it big (they already have!). This is what Stanford is interested in.

For those who are in undergrad, beside a solid LSAT and GPA, they need to show that they have potential and know what they want to do. Loooots of ECs and "why Stanford essay" is important for these people.

The puzzle approach that Dean Deal talks about matches this picture. They put together a class where the experience of the people above matches with the goals and ambitions of the undergrads with no experience. Now, if you are a undergrad with no experience and did not specify what do you what to do, they cannot tell how you can benefit from sitting next to the guy with four engineering degrees. In contrast, if you specifically said that you are very very interested in IP law, for example, then they know what to do with you.

From now, they start putting the puzzle together. So, pray that you are one of the pieces.

:cry: but this thread is supposed to be safe and happy and optimistic! :cry:

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:43 am

gatorgirl4life wrote:

SLS2011

Postby SLS2011 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:45 am

gatorgirl4life wrote:

I'm sorry. I didn't want to cause pain. I thought knowing the kind of people who "made it" helps.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:47 am

SLS2011 wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:

I'm sorry. I didn't want to cause pain. I thought knowing the kind of people who "made it" helps.

Haha, no worries, it was definitely interesting.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:47 am

Knock wrote:
Haha, no worries, it was definitely interesting terrifying.

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:50 am

Oh no, it was definitely informative! Most of us don't know anyone in real life at top schools, so it's helpful to have someone inform us of what it really takes to be granted admission. It's just that...sometimes the truth hurts. haha

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:52 am

SLS2011 wrote:I know 5 guys (2 friends; 2 co-workers; 1 is a friend of a friend) who went to SLS. Here is a quick profile of these guys just to give you some ideas.

Yeah my limited experience with Stanford acceptees reflects exactly this. This is why im not optimistic about getting in.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:53 am

The fact that I have not been DLS'ed yet is the only thing keeping these new posts from shattering all hope I may have had.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:56 am

cardinals1989 wrote:The fact that I have not been DLS'ed yet is the only thing keeping these new posts from shattering all hope I may have had.

SLS2011

Postby SLS2011 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:01 am

cardinals1989 wrote:The fact that I have not been DLS'ed yet is the only thing keeping these new posts from shattering all hope I may have had.

I hope my post helps those who want to send a LOCI. If you have not, help them figure out how you fit in (very briefly of course!).

Sometimes, it is not the case that one applicant was not good enough. He/she did not "fit the picture". So, there is definitely an element of luck in this process (i.e. having other applicants that together with you form the picture).

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:07 am

SLS2011 wrote:

I hope my post helps those who want to send a LOCI. If you have not, help them figure out how you fit in (very briefly of course!).

Sometimes, it is not the case that one applicant was not good enough. He/she did not "fit the picture". So, there is definitely an element of luck in this process (i.e. having other applicants that together with you form the picture).

I have already sent in my Love-note of Continued Infatuation. All I have left is to wait.

But yeah, you are definitely right on your analysis. And it makes me die a little on the inside.

SLS2011

Postby SLS2011 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:21 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
SLS2011 wrote:

I have already sent in my Love-note of Continued Infatuation. All I have left is to wait.

But yeah, you are definitely right on your analysis. And it makes me die a little on the inside.

But, if you get in then you know how good you are. Right?

Listen, I know a lot of lawyers from top schools. Believe me when I tell you this. If you graduate from Columbia, NYU or Berkeley, your office in the firm will be next to the guys from Stanford/Yale. Not much difference! Same salary, same kind of work, same chances. If you are in top 10, you're set.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:53 am

SLS2011 wrote:

:shock:
Last edited by The Stig on Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:01 am

Knock wrote:
SLS2011 wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:

Haha, no worries, it was definitely interesting.

I know a couple of people at or have graduated from SLS...one Berk grad and one UCLA - both I assume had great grads and LSAT scores - one worked on political campaigns but wasn't writing speeches for the President at 22 or anything...one got in in April, one got in off the waitlist...point being - some people get in who weren't doing neurosurgery while still in their cribs - we all have a chance if our apps are solid and luck is on our side :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”