Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bedefan

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby bedefan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:24 pm

Word to the wise. Do check back if you email SLS a LOCI or similar to the main admissions email and they don't write you back. I sent one in about a week and a half ago, never got a response. Just called today and they had never received it. It wasn't even just overlooked + buried in their inbox. They had just flat out never received it! Lost on the internets! (gasp!) So the very nice admissions officer had me re-send it and promptly wrote me back saying my LOCI had now been added to my file.

A similar thing happened to me with Yale re: my dean's cert. They called me once telling me they had never received the dean's cert, so I contacted my UG to have them send it again. I got nervous 3 weeks later and called Yale to see if they'd received it yet--answer was no! I contacted my UG again and got the same secretary, she remembered me and also remembered forgetting to re-send the dean's cert! (head spins) Bless her heart, she was having a busy fall.

I guess the moral is, if you're in doubt, just abandon your nervousness and follow up. I would've been sunk at my two top choices if I hadn't been paranoid about documents not being delivered...

Not that I've heard anything from my two top choices (YS)! And not that Michigan and Harvard don't sound great to me! I'm going to be pumped to go to any of these schools. But still...

bedefan

Postby bedefan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:28 pm

crandall7 wrote:Hey guys, so I have a question and I'm pretty new so I realize this question will throw all of you back to October or November. I sent in my application and law school report right on the deadline to Stanford. Then, I recieved an email stating that my application was recieved and that they would let me know the completion status of my application at a latter date.

Well, I have still yet to recieve any confirmation. I haven't recieved an email to an online status checker and have no way to know that all of my stuff is in place (and with Stanford, there is alot of stuff). I just want to make sure my work is done, but although I've emailed the office a couple times, I have yet to recieve a response.

When you guys went through this process months ago, did it take a while to get your status checker link? I realize that the Admissions Office is swamped with applications and I'm okay with waiting - I just want to make sure that something isn't wrong with the transmission of my application.

For what it's worth, I talked to a friend who is also applying to Stanford and he said they took about two weeks to get him his status checker link. I just wanted to confirm or disconfirm this with you guys. Thanks!

Took 2 days back in October, then another week for it to be submitted for review. That was me.

They just got slammed with apps like yours--despite my previous post, I'd say give 'em some time. You got the email saying it was received... Did you double-check what you sent on LSAC? If it looks good, and you have the email saying it was received, you're probably fine. I'd wait till the end of this week to call them. Maybe even Monday next week? What do others think?

Or you could give them a quick call and ask if you should be worried. That's probably best--you'll get the right answer, and it'll take less time for them and for you.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:31 pm

crandall7 wrote:Hey guys, so I have a question and I'm pretty new so I realize this question will throw all of you back to October or November. I sent in my application and law school report right on the deadline to Stanford. Then, I recieved an email stating that my application was recieved and that they would let me know the completion status of my application at a latter date.

Well, I have still yet to recieve any confirmation. I haven't recieved an email to an online status checker and have no way to know that all of my stuff is in place (and with Stanford, there is alot of stuff). I just want to make sure my work is done, but although I've emailed the office a couple times, I have yet to recieve a response.

When you guys went through this process months ago, did it take a while to get your status checker link? I realize that the Admissions Office is swamped with applications and I'm okay with waiting - I just want to make sure that something isn't wrong with the transmission of my application.

For what it's worth, I talked to a friend who is also applying to Stanford and he said they took about two weeks to get him his status checker link. I just wanted to confirm or disconfirm this with you guys. Thanks!

I submitted towards the end of November, and my status checker arrived a week and a half after the "received" email. So yours is probably taking a little while because their application volume has picked up a lot. With that being said, it might not be a bad idea to email after 7-10 days just to check.

crandall7

Postby crandall7 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:44 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. I realize they just got hit by a huge round of applications so I understand not everything will be done quickly. I'll wait on it and check in about a week or so.

somewhere

Postby somewhere » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:08 pm

Apologies if this has already been hashed out, but:

LOCIs emailed to what address?

Addressed to whom?

arism87

Postby arism87 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Well, despite warning my dad that a Stanford rejection was in the mail and to please not bother mentioning it when it comes, he just called to inform that indeed, I have been officially rejected. Lol, thanks Dad! :)

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:41 pm

arism87 wrote:Well, despite warning my dad that a Stanford rejection was in the mail and to please not bother mentioning it when it comes, he just called to inform that indeed, I have been officially rejected. Lol, thanks Dad! :)

Salt in the wound! Sorry to hear that you went DLS without a call.

neonx

Postby neonx » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:45 pm

arism87 wrote:Well, despite warning my dad that a Stanford rejection was in the mail and to please not bother mentioning it when it comes, he just called to inform that indeed, I have been officially rejected. Lol, thanks Dad! :)

I think this story be exactly the same for me.

Sorry for your loss, arism87 =(. At least you have so many wonderful choices this cycle!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:47 pm

neonx wrote:

I think this story be exactly the same for me.

Sorry for your loss, arism87 =(. At least you have so many wonderful choices this cycle!

You went DLS?

Sorry arism87, that's what Dads are for

arism87

Postby arism87 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:48 pm

Thanks guys- damn the support in this thread is strong!

At any rate, I wasn't expecting to get in, I've come to terms with it :)

(Although in retrospect, I got into every single school where I had a fee waiver- and not one without. Coulda saved some money there..!)

and r6 yeah DLS Friday or Saturday

lynnford

Postby lynnford » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:52 pm

I got my rejection letter today too. DLS on Friday.

neonx

Postby neonx » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:58 pm

lynnford wrote:I got my rejection letter today too. DLS on Friday.

I'm shocked; your numbers are so impressive! Sorry for your loss.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:59 pm

neonx wrote:

I really wish to get in so I can ask them "What do you look for in an applicant?" :)

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:00 pm

r6_philly wrote:
neonx wrote:

I really wish to get in so I can ask them "What do you look for in an applicant?" :)

+1. After all this, I want to find out about this mysterious process.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:05 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I really wish to get in so I can ask them "What do you look for in an applicant?" :)

Speculation here, but I would guess they follow a business school model. Trying to put together a well balanced class leads to what looks like a randomness in admissions, but it really just means that maybe they have too many TFA applicants and only really want one or two (to use arism as an example). I would guess that a lot of the people who go remain have something "different" about their app that stands out.

neonx

Postby neonx » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:09 pm

bdubs wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I really wish to get in so I can ask them "What do you look for in an applicant?" :)

Speculation here, but I would guess they follow a business school model. Trying to put together a well balanced class leads to what looks like a randomness in admissions, but it really just means that maybe they have too many TFA applicants and only really want one or two (to use arism as an example). I would guess that a lot of the people who go remain have something "different" about their app that stands out.

How many applicants does Stanford accept? 400?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:09 pm

bdubs wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:

I keep telling myself this, and I keep not getting accepted. I am a very special snowflake after all!

In all seriousness, I have no idea where I would fit in. I really would love to know what they think when they read my file.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:12 pm

bdubs wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:

:(

lol

Edit: I CAN BE DIFFERENT! I... MARCHED IN THE RAVENS BAND THIS SEASON. THAT'S DIFFERENT, RIGHT? and totally relevant to success in law school.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:18 pm

neonx wrote:How many applicants does Stanford accept? 400?

373 according to USNWR

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:20 pm

arism87 wrote:
bdubs wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:

:(

lol

Edit: I CAN BE DIFFERENT! I... MARCHED IN THE RAVENS BAND THIS SEASON. THAT'S DIFFERENT, RIGHT? and totally relevant to success in law school.

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest your app wasn't unique! When each app only gets a 3-5 minute read though i bet they throw people into buckets like that.

Also, your application "theme" probably gets you put in a bucket. If you have a different ambition or career goal than most applicants, you might stand out.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:26 pm

bdubs wrote:
Sorry, didn't mean to suggest your app wasn't unique! When each app only gets a 3-5 minute read though i bet they throw people into buckets like that.

Also, your application "theme" probably gets you put in a bucket. If you have a different ambition or career goal than most applicants, you might stand out.

I'm kidding, not offended at all- there is a VERY clear theme to my app, it's probs NOT unique- like you suggested, others with similar goals have higher numbers and it's a small class :)

l000needles

Postby l000needles » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:40 pm

Whew. Still safe, but not feeling that strong with a 12/3 UR date and the timeline around mid-November.

pride09

Postby pride09 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:44 pm

bdubs wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:

Gulp...really hope that's not the case!

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:46 pm

It just occurred to me that if this is all chronological, and they are doing de facto holds, at some point there will be a moment when they go back to the front of the line and we all lose our minds. :shock:

l000needles

Postby l000needles » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:51 pm

What is a TFA applicant?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”