Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
glitched

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby glitched » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:57 am

neonx wrote:This thread has taken a sad turn. =(

just from your profile, i really want to meet you lol

this whole forum will probably take a sad turn within the next few months. but the hope was fun while it lasted :)

plurilingue

Postby plurilingue » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:25 am

Last edited by plurilingue on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:37 am

plurilingue wrote:I'm sure everyone will have great options when it's all over.

This is a very Stanford-thread-appropriate comment. :D

dot

Postby dot » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:18 am

SLS2011 wrote:Question: do people get an e-mail when they become DLS?

No. It doesn't update in the Status but in red text above the whole table.

tkgrrett wrote:But back to the Stanford programming... is this the final decision that most of us are waiting on?

Columbia, Harvard, Yale (expect to hear in that order in the coming weeks/months)

Also NYU$$$

88rabbits

Postby 88rabbits » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:03 am

tkgrrett wrote:But back to the Stanford programming... is this the final decision that most of us are waiting on?

Columbia, Harvard, Yale (expect to hear in that order in the coming weeks/months)

Also NYU$$$

Chicago, Columbia, Harvard, Stanford, BU...

Got waitlisted at Georgetown over the weekend (withdraw time!) which made me lose confidence over the Stanford and Harvard Apps. I keep wondering if I did something wrong on the Apps. But then again got accepted into NYU really quickly so... sigh...

Would like some $$$ from NYU too. NYC is ridiculously expensive...

Good Luck with everyone's decisions... Hope this is a news-filled week! (Something, Please let there be something!!!)

jcn4

Postby jcn4 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:47 am

Still waiting on pretty much everything except CCNB, despite applying in early Nov. I'd be really discouraged if I hadn't gotten positive news from those four. I really can't figure out why Michigan, Penn, etc. are taking so much time with me.

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:48 am

I'm waiting on basically everything! But it's my fault for applying after the December LSAT scores came back. I've only heard back from 2 schools (Berkeley and UArizona)...9 more to go. I think I'm in this for the long haul.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:51 am

Looks like we have new fans in the club!

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 am

I'm 12/2 Submitted for Review... Should I wait for the DLS "chronology" to guillotine/spare my app before sending a LOCI?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:44 am

Blindc1rca wrote:I'm 12/2 Submitted for Review... Should I wait for the DLS "chronology" to guillotine/spare my app before sending a LOCI?

I'd wait until it swings past.

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:49 am

r6_philly wrote:
Blindc1rca wrote:I'm 12/2 Submitted for Review... Should I wait for the DLS "chronology" to guillotine/spare my app before sending a LOCI?

I'd wait until it swings past.

:D for imagery

/\ :arrow: :x *:'.,

LegallyBrunette3

Postby LegallyBrunette3 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Any news today? It seems quiet...

cam3

Postby cam3 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:31 pm

Hey all--new to TLS but regularly stalk this thread.

I'm wondering...I went under review on 10/22 and have heard nothing. Should I be sending an LOCI? What does this ridiculously long wait period mean?

Many thanks and good luck to everyone :)

GinaTheresa

Postby GinaTheresa » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:33 pm

cam3 wrote:Hey all--new to TLS but regularly stalk this thread.

I'm wondering...I went under review on 10/22 and have heard nothing. Should I be sending an LOCI? What does this ridiculously long wait period mean?

+1 Complete early December and no word. Is this Stanford's way of waitlisting people?

Weirdlog

Postby Weirdlog » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:34 pm

It looks like you're in the same boat as a lot of us--you weren't good enough to be a quick auto-admit, but you survived the first round of rejections, too.

Basically a de facto "hold."

As far as a LOCI, you can write one if you want--many others on this thread have done so. I'm not going to write one unless/until I actually get waitlisted but to each his own.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:37 pm

GinaTheresa wrote:

+1 Complete early December and no word. Is this Stanford's way of waitlisting people?

Stanford does not waitlist until end of March/early April. Check out Dean Deal's blog http://blogs.law.stanford.edu/admissions/ for more info on LOCI's. Short answer: they certainly welcome them right now, but only do it if you have something truly substantive to say. If you send a bunch of fluff, the LOCI might become a negative. However, a good update can be worthwhile.

On the subject of her blog, Dean Deal has said she starts reading Truman apps in the middle of February. Those days are going to be long and hard when she is gone and there is little hope of acceptances :( .

jcn4

Postby jcn4 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:41 pm

GinaTheresa wrote:

The speculation here is that if someone with a UR date later than yours gets a ding, you've been held. They apparently haven't gotten to the December UR dates yet, so you are probably a while from getting any new info on your status.

Vuvuzela!!!

Postby Vuvuzela!!! » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:45 pm

Latest DLS date I've seen is 11/19

GinaTheresa

Postby GinaTheresa » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Ok thanks. I'm not sure if TLS is making me even more anxious about my applications - but at the same time it's reassuring to hear from other people in the same boat.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:15 pm

Just to fill out some of why there's a long wait...

For a top law school, Stanford accepts exceedingly few people (less than half as many as Harvard) because it's so small. They don't have very many spaces, and they're ranked very high (so people who are accepted have a high probability of attending). Thus, they are reluctant to give many acceptances out until they see the whole applicant pool, and the app deadline was about a week ago, so they're just beginning to organize the full set of apps. Now that they have a fairly complete picture, they'll start sending out lots of decisions, because they know exactly who they have applying, etc.

So whether you applied in October or January doesn't really matter unless you're exactly what Stanford was looking for and they were willing to give up a space before they even knew who else might be applying for it. Admissions is only sort of rolling at Stanford anyway.

I gather this sort of thing is the reason for the black-box approach that Stanford and Yale take (both top-ranked and very small).

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:39 pm

tomwatts wrote:Just to fill out some of why there's a long wait...

For a top law school, Stanford accepts exceedingly few people (less than half as many as Harvard) because it's so small. They don't have very many spaces, and they're ranked very high (so people who are accepted have a high probability of attending). Thus, they are reluctant to give many acceptances out until they see the whole applicant pool, and the app deadline was about a week ago, so they're just beginning to organize the full set of apps. Now that they have a fairly complete picture, they'll start sending out lots of decisions, because they know exactly who they have applying, etc.

So whether you applied in October or January doesn't really matter unless you're exactly what Stanford was looking for and they were willing to give up a space before they even knew who else might be applying for it. Admissions is only sort of rolling at Stanford anyway.

I gather this sort of thing is the reason for the black-box approach that Stanford and Yale take (both top-ranked and very small).

This was also my thought on the situation. For YLS and SLS, unless you have special softs, you probably need near perfect numbers to get in. And then all the people with the special softs are the ones who get in with the lower numbers... so that ultimately the median for SLS is around 170. Just my impression from some LSN stalking...

Mailbox101

Postby Mailbox101 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:00 pm

Does anybody know how to update Stanford with LOCI/resume, etc? I heard that e-mail is best. Do we just e-mail the LOCI/resume via attachment or what is the proper way to go about this?

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:04 pm

Mailbox101 wrote:Does anybody know how to update Stanford with LOCI/resume, etc? I heard that e-mail is best. Do we just e-mail the LOCI/resume via attachment or what is the proper way to go about this?

I emailed the admissions office with a LOCI attached.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:05 pm

Mailbox101 wrote:Does anybody know how to update Stanford with LOCI/resume, etc? I heard that e-mail is best. Do we just e-mail the LOCI/resume via attachment or what is the proper way to go about this?

Email is best. I think attachments seem more professional (and easier to add to your file), but that is just a personal opinion.

crandall7

Postby crandall7 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:17 pm

Hey guys, so I have a question and I'm pretty new so I realize this question will throw all of you back to October or November. I sent in my application and law school report right on the deadline to Stanford. Then, I recieved an email stating that my application was recieved and that they would let me know the completion status of my application at a latter date.

Well, I have still yet to recieve any confirmation. I haven't recieved an email to an online status checker and have no way to know that all of my stuff is in place (and with Stanford, there is alot of stuff). I just want to make sure my work is done, but although I've emailed the office a couple times, I have yet to recieve a response.

When you guys went through this process months ago, did it take a while to get your status checker link? I realize that the Admissions Office is swamped with applications and I'm okay with waiting - I just want to make sure that something isn't wrong with the transmission of my application.

For what it's worth, I talked to a friend who is also applying to Stanford and he said they took about two weeks to get him his status checker link. I just wanted to confirm or disconfirm this with you guys. Thanks!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”