Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
s0ph1e2007

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:09 pm

Knock wrote:
HopefulFish wrote:got the official R letter today. Good luck to you all. I'm officially checking myself out of this thread =)

Sorry man :cry:. Best of luck to you on the rest of your cycle!

every time I see knock post on this thread, when I'm checking out the boards real quickly, I have to check to see if he got in.
alas, not yet.
soon though! soon!

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:09 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
Knock wrote:
HopefulFish wrote:got the official R letter today. Good luck to you all. I'm officially checking myself out of this thread =)

Sorry man :cry:. Best of luck to you on the rest of your cycle!

every time I see knock post on this thread, when I'm checking out the boards real quickly, I have to check to see if he got in.
alas, not yet.
soon though! soon!

Haha <3. If I somehow get in...the whole world will know :P.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:19 pm

Knock wrote:

I think your love for SLS can only be rivaled by eskimo's love for UChi.... or maybe dulcatis's love of spreadsheets :D

l000needles

Postby l000needles » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:21 pm

Sorry to hear that hopefulfish. Good luck with the rest of your cycle.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:31 pm

The Stig wrote:
Knock wrote:

I think your love for SLS can only be rivaled by eskimo's love for UChi.... or maybe dulcatis's love of spreadsheets :D

:lol: :lol:

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:44 pm

The Stig wrote:
Knock wrote:

hahahahahahaha trueeee.

tgir

Postby tgir » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:11 pm

The Stig wrote:
Knock wrote:

Haha, so true.

Postby 4102011 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:04 pm

The Stig wrote:
Knock wrote:

:oops:

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:06 pm

dulcatis wrote:
The Stig wrote:
Knock wrote:

:oops:

for the record, I never said that any of those loves were bad :D

texaskk

Postby texaskk » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:12 am

Bump... As I wait in desperation for news from CLS, the fact that I'm still alive by status checker at Stanford gives me hope

aredhello

Postby aredhello » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:34 am

I know that this topic has been covered to a certain degree, but I'm still debating on whether or not it would be useful to send in a LOCI. Have been UR since 11/18 with an LSAT above median but a 25% < GPA < 50%. Otherwise a solid PI-focused application with a MA and significant PI-related softs including 3+ years of PI WE, but certainly a bit of a reach.

I don't have anything particularly useful to update SLS on, although I did NOT incorporate a Why SLS into my original PS.

I'm wondering if writing a LOCI along the lines of a Why SLS and an affirmation of my interest in attending SLS if admitted would be at all worthwhile given that I wouldn't be doing much for their stats nor would they be competing for my matriculation with HY (and 50/50 chance with CCN). Seems like those types of LOCIs would only be useful at a school like UVA or Penn that are more likely to compete for students with my numbers who are typically shut out of HYS/CCN...but then I don't know what else I'd write a LOCI on if I've been doing the same thing since I applied.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Given how long I've been UR for, would like to submit before they WL me or outright ding me...

coveyellow

Postby coveyellow » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:45 am

In my uninformed and unreliable opinion, if you didn't send in targeted LORs or a targeted PS, then it might be a good idea to send in a LOCI that explains why Stanford is a top choice even if you don't really have any new info to add to your application.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:22 pm

coveyellow wrote:In my uninformed and unreliable opinion, if you didn't send in targeted LORs or a targeted PS, then it might be a good idea to send in a LOCI that explains why Stanford is a top choice even if you don't really have any new info to add to your application.

In my mostly uninformed opinion, I agree.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:28 pm

tomwatts wrote:
coveyellow wrote:In my uninformed and unreliable opinion, if you didn't send in targeted LORs or a targeted PS, then it might be a good idea to send in a LOCI that explains why Stanford is a top choice even if you don't really have any new info to add to your application.

+2

But I am still in limbo so my opinion has to be uninformed.

CosmoLaw

Postby CosmoLaw » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:46 pm

r6_philly wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

+3

aredhello

Postby aredhello » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:51 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses. Will get to work on that now...

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:52 pm

aredhello wrote:I know that this topic has been covered to a certain degree, but I'm still debating on whether or not it would be useful to send in a LOCI. Have been UR since 11/18 with an LSAT above median but a 25% < GPA < 50%. Otherwise a solid PI-focused application with a MA and significant PI-related softs including 3+ years of PI WE, but certainly a bit of a reach.

I don't have anything particularly useful to update SLS on, although I did NOT incorporate a Why SLS into my original PS.

I'm wondering if writing a LOCI along the lines of a Why SLS and an affirmation of my interest in attending SLS if admitted would be at all worthwhile given that I wouldn't be doing much for their stats nor would they be competing for my matriculation with HY (and 50/50 chance with CCN). Seems like those types of LOCIs would only be useful at a school like UVA or Penn that are more likely to compete for students with my numbers who are typically shut out of HYS/CCN...but then I don't know what else I'd write a LOCI on if I've been doing the same thing since I applied.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Given how long I've been UR for, would like to submit before they WL me or outright ding me...

Submitted for review here 10/18 with similar numbers but way worse softs. I'm working on a LOCI/update for SLS. Not happy with what I have written so far though, i'll probably do some revising, and hopefully have it finished in the next few days.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:48 pm

Y'all finally guilted me into writing an LOCI for Stanford.. and I hate you for it, bc the research I just did made me want to get in even more.

Anyway, 2 questions if you don't mind:
1. How/to whom should I send this?
2. What should the language be like? I know what I want the content to be, but I'm not sure, for example, how to begin? I assume it should be no more than a page?

Ok, technically that was more than 2 questions.. :oops:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:54 pm

arism87 wrote:Y'all finally guilted me into writing an LOCI for Stanford.. and I hate you for it, bc the research I just did made me want to get in even more.

2. What should the language be like? I know what I want the content to be, but I'm not sure, for example, how to begin? I assume it should be no more than a page?

I wrote it like a letter - since it's a letter. Address it to the Admissions Committee I suppose.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:Y'all finally guilted me into writing an LOCI for Stanford.. and I hate you for it, bc the research I just did made me want to get in even more.

I wrote it like a letter - since it's a letter. Address it to the Admissions Committee I suppose.

Thanks- Can you email?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:07 pm

arism87 wrote:
Thanks- Can you email?

Yes email to the admissions office and they will get you a confirmation within a week.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:
Thanks- Can you email?

Yes email to the admissions office and they will get you a confirmation within a week.

Is it appropriate to add why you feel that YOU would be an asset, or is it better to stick to why Stanford is best for you?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:12 pm

arism87 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:
Thanks- Can you email?

Is it appropriate to add why you feel that YOU would be an asset, or is it better to stick to why Stanford is best for you?

Personally, I think the first part is more valuable than the second part. :wink:

ETA: if a solid case can be made, of course.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:15 pm

arism87 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:
Thanks- Can you email?

I've read a few excellent LOCIs of either type. Personally, my LOCI as it stands right now is mainly an update on my application and then explaining why SLS is my top choice. I didn't personalize my PS, and only submitted 1 targeted LOR, so I think this would probably be more effective than trying to sell myself some more. I'm hoping my fall grade update and additional LOR will help with the selling myself part of my application, along with my other application materials.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:16 pm

r6_philly wrote:ETA: if a solid case can be made, of course.

Aw, have some faith!

Although if they're gonna stick to 3.9+ through the whole cycle, nothing I can say is gonna help! lol

Thanks for all the advice

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”