Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
whathojeeves
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby whathojeeves » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:06 am

bdubs wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:Crap. DLS.


Sorry if you answered this a on another page, but what were your dates?


Can't remember exactly but submitted Oct and was UR from then til today.
Last edited by whathojeeves on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby bdubs » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:08 am

whathojeeves wrote:
bdubs wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:Crap. DLS.


Sorry if you answered this a on another page, but what were your dates?


Can't remember exactly but submitted late Oct and was UR from then til today.


Thanks. The suspense is killing me here, not that I expect to get in...

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:10 am

Knock wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:
I'll PM you with my options. Sadly I don't think we have a lot of overlap so far, but if we do I definitely owe you a TLS drink. There may be a cat-themed umbrella in it.


I'm interested in knowing what other ASWs you're looking at as well!


I am going to Michigan (1st), UVA (1st), Penn, and Berkeley right now. If the NY schools come through, I will go to those. Hit me up if you guys wanna plan a meet up.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Knock » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:17 am

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:
I'll PM you with my options. Sadly I don't think we have a lot of overlap so far, but if we do I definitely owe you a TLS drink. There may be a cat-themed umbrella in it.


I'm interested in knowing what other ASWs you're looking at as well!


I am going to Michigan (1st), UVA (1st), Penn, and Berkeley right now. If the NY schools come through, I will go to those. Hit me up if you guys wanna plan a meet up.


I need to figure out my gameplan. Berkeley for sure, maybe Michigan, maybe Chicago, maybe NYU.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Dany » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:20 am

Knock wrote:maybe Chicago, maybe NYU.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:25 am

eskimo wrote:
Knock wrote:maybe Chicago, maybe NYU.

:evil: :evil: :evil:


I would <3 Chicago back if I got any... over NYU definitely.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Dany » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:28 am

Why do I even post ITT? When S gets to Novembers I'm the first DLS. Sigh. :lol:

Also, r6 - you have great taste.

User avatar
alive
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby alive » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:34 am

Hi! Hope everyone is holding up! And sorry for those of you who got DLS. I'm expecting the same, but in any case I'm getting extraordinarily anxious, and so to kill some time after work today I decided to do some back of the envelope Excel charting to compare this cycle to last year's, so far. Unfortunately, the only data I could easily get was through LSN, and as we all know there are limitations with this data (there are far fewer participants this year so far than there were last year, for example) so take this analysis with a grain of salt. Just thought I'd share, rather than keeping it all to myself. Any suggestions on how to improve would be appreciated. Then again, knowing how amazing the Stanford crowd is here on TLS I wouldn't be surprised if someone did a way better, more useful analysis than this buried back a few pages!

Anyway, check it out:
--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Knock » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:36 am

alive wrote:Hi! Hope everyone is holding up! And sorry for those of you who got DLS. I'm expecting the same, but in any case I'm getting extraordinarily anxious, and so to kill some time after work today I decided to do some back of the envelope Excel charting to compare this cycle to last year's, so far. Unfortunately, the only data I could easily get was through LSN, and as we all know there are limitations with this data (there are far fewer participants this year so far than there were last year, for example) so take this analysis with a grain of salt. Just thought I'd share, rather than keeping it all to myself. Any suggestions on how to improve would be appreciated. Then again, knowing how amazing the Stanford crowd is here on TLS I wouldn't be surprised if someone did a way better, more useful analysis than this buried back a few pages!

Anyway, check it out:
--ImageRemoved--


Awesome post. I think I love you.

So you think there have just been less acceptance posted on LSN, or are acceptances down compared to this point last cycle?

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23647
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby chup » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:41 am

Knock wrote:Awesome post.

+1

Regarding this:

Knock wrote:So you think there have just been less acceptance posted on LSN, or are acceptances down compared to this point last cycle?


This may have something to do with it, if it's true.

User avatar
alive
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby alive » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:52 am

Knock wrote:
So you think there have just been less acceptance posted on LSN, or are acceptances down compared to this point last cycle?


You know, I don't know the answer to this. There have been far fewer LSN participants (453 in 2010 vs 211 in 2011). There are only 13 2010 LSN submission dates that are clearly marked as being submitted in after 1/27/10 (though many are just blank), so if the trend from last year is transferable to this year, there probably aren't too many more new additions to the list this year. Then again, I don't know if many people add their info to LSN later but mark their submission date as earlier (likely not). Or LSN this year could just be less representative of the application pool generally.

Or maybe total number of applications truly is just down that much this year, as chup points out.
Last edited by alive on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:54 am

chup wrote:This may have something to do with it, if it's true.


I have been saying the same thing over and over again since September and no one quotes me :x

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Knock » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:55 am

r6_philly wrote:
chup wrote:This may have something to do with it, if it's true.


I have been saying the same thing over and over again since September and no one quotes me :x


I hope your right R6. I will keep holding out hope :).

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:59 am

Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
chup wrote:This may have something to do with it, if it's true.


I have been saying the same thing over and over again since September and no one quotes me :x


I hope your right R6. I will keep holding out hope :).


I think applicants are down 15 or more %. That translates to 300+ less people with 170+. Those of us who have both 170+ and 3.9+ will be less plentiful. Wait til the pool shakes out, I think we will get more attention across the T14 after they count/sort all the applications after 2/1.

Another 2 weeks until our status upgrades a notch, whooot! :mrgreen: (take it 50% serious please)

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:13 am

I'm sooo insanely lucky that I just missed this whole DLS period.
I keep watching this thread though, because I'm crossing my fingers for you guys all the time!! Come on. Let Knock and Philly in!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:15 am

s0ph1e2007 wrote:I'm sooo insanely lucky that I just missed this whole DLS period.
I keep watching this thread though, because I'm crossing my fingers for you guys all the time!! Come on. Let Knock and Philly in!


Thanks! I am dreaming about palm trees while crushed until this foot of snow.

ExpectLess
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby ExpectLess » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:30 am

r6_philly wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:I'm sooo insanely lucky that I just missed this whole DLS period.
I keep watching this thread though, because I'm crossing my fingers for you guys all the time!! Come on. Let Knock and Philly in!


Thanks! I am dreaming about palm trees while crushed until this foot of snow.


I sometimes lament the fact that the colonists got things rolling in exclusively cold places, causing most of the really old/established schools to be located there as well. Why, oh why, weren't they marooned on the beaches of Florida?

The roundabout point of my late night rant: don't make me go somewhere cold, Stanford! :P

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:32 am

r6_philly wrote:
chup wrote:This may have something to do with it, if it's true.


I have been saying the same thing over and over again since September and no one quotes me :x

:lol: My condolences r6.

Also:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:I'm sooo insanely lucky that I just missed this whole DLS period.
I keep watching this thread though, because I'm crossing my fingers for you guys all the time!! Come on. Let Knock and Philly in!

:cry:

lucylove
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby lucylove » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:05 am

UGHHH!! I just got so anxious/nervous when someone said they got DLS.... but nothing new for me so far! Come on Stanford, you are my dream school! All I want is a phone call....

User avatar
Lovely Ludwig Van
Posts: 370
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:20 am

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
chup wrote:This may have something to do with it, if it's true.


I have been saying the same thing over and over again since September and no one quotes me :x


I hope your right R6. I will keep holding out hope :).


I think applicants are down 15 or more %. That translates to 300+ less people with 170+. Those of us who have both 170+ and 3.9+ will be less plentiful. Wait til the pool shakes out, I think we will get more attention across the T14 after they count/sort all the applications after 2/1.

Another 2 weeks until our status upgrades a notch, whooot! :mrgreen: (take it 50% serious please)


Correct me if I'm wrong, but would it make sense to argue that most of these 'drop-out' applicants are those with lower LSAT scores as opposed to higher ones, thus not necessarily leading to a substantial decrease in 170+ kids applying? My thinking is that of those who are not applying this year who were applying last year, a much heavier proportion would be concentrated around the 140-160 score band (i.e. those who have heard about the dangers of attending a TTT) as opposed to those who have been gunning for T14 all along. What do people think? I sure as hell hope that there really are 300 fewer 170+ applicants floating around this cycle, it would probably end up doing me a looottttt of favors.

HopefulFish
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby HopefulFish » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:17 am

This is my desperation speaking, but has there ever been an acceptance without a phone call? I have a DSL (aka rejection) on the way =(

Submitted for Review since mid October ----> DSL/Reject 1/26

masson
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:26 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby masson » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:06 am

just received my ding after I withdrew my application, weird.

HopefulFish
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby HopefulFish » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:22 am

masson wrote:just received my ding after I withdrew my application, weird.


Like any school, milk the selectivity as much as they can at any cost. Why not? You/me are just POS applicants.

User avatar
dot
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:13 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby dot » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:59 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
piilehua wrote:i hope she posts on her blog soooooooon.


Admit me and I will contribute to that blog and Twitter and Facebook regularly :mrgreen:


"Dean Deal, I am writing this Letter of Continued Interest to inform you of one particular qualification I neglected to mention in my original application. My obsessive and sometimes scary use of the internet provides me with ample abilities to manage, update, and otherwise maintain all SLS social networking sites. If admitted, I will be able to assist you with all of these tasks. For these reasons and more, I believe SLS to be the perfect school for me."

Sincerely,

____________________

(I will leave the signature blank so that we three can each submit a copy.)


Does Stanford have students on its application review committee? Admissions is a strange dream job of mine (not really, but, well yea, sort of)

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby bdubs » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:04 am

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I think applicants are down 15 or more %. That translates to 300+ less people with 170+. Those of us who have both 170+ and 3.9+ will be less plentiful. Wait til the pool shakes out, I think we will get more attention across the T14 after they count/sort all the applications after 2/1.

Another 2 weeks until our status upgrades a notch, whooot! :mrgreen: (take it 50% serious please)


Correct me if I'm wrong, but would it make sense to argue that most of these 'drop-out' applicants are those with lower LSAT scores as opposed to higher ones, thus not necessarily leading to a substantial decrease in 170+ kids applying? My thinking is that of those who are not applying this year who were applying last year, a much heavier proportion would be concentrated around the 140-160 score band (i.e. those who have heard about the dangers of attending a TTT) as opposed to those who have been gunning for T14 all along. What do people think? I sure as hell hope that there really are 300 fewer 170+ applicants floating around this cycle, it would probably end up doing me a looottttt of favors.


I think the number of *highly qualified* applicants to Stanford will not be down 15%, but it will be down some. Remember that people are considering different outside options now. Someone with a 3.9+ and the ability to score a 170+ *might* have ample opportunity to earn a great salary right out of undergrad this year, whereas last year those firms cut their hiring by 50%. Some fraction of them who didn't have their hearts set on law will either wait a few years or drop out of the race entirely. How many? No one knows. LSAC doesn't even bother reporting that (they don't want to seem elitist).

Edited to clarify that total applications might not be down
Last edited by bdubs on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”