Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Knock

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Knock » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:06 am

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if I should send in a 3rd LOR from my boss. It's not the greatest LOR, since he's not a professor and doesn't really ever write LORs. He gave me a copy, and i'm afraid it might be "damning with faint praise." What do you guys think I should do? I never got to look at my academic LORs, so I can't really compare them in strength.

HopefulFish

Postby HopefulFish » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:14 am

Knock wrote:I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if I should send in a 3rd LOR from my boss. It's not the greatest LOR, since he's not a professor and doesn't really ever write LORs. He gave me a copy, and i'm afraid it might be "damning with faint praise." What do you guys think I should do? I never got to look at my academic LORs, so I can't really compare them in strength.

Honestly, if the LOR is good and adds to the strength of your app then definitely do it. But if it's just another filler, don't. I think the admissions knows most things we send at this point is bs anyway. I think sending in 1 LOCI right about now if you applied waaaaay before (Oct like me) would be appropriate and advised. Don't annoy them with petty information.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:16 am

HopefulFish wrote:
Knock wrote:I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if I should send in a 3rd LOR from my boss. It's not the greatest LOR, since he's not a professor and doesn't really ever write LORs. He gave me a copy, and i'm afraid it might be "damning with faint praise." What do you guys think I should do? I never got to look at my academic LORs, so I can't really compare them in strength.

Honestly, if the LOR is good and adds to the strength of your app, then definitely do it. But if it's just another filler, don't. I think the admissions knows most things we send at this point is bs anyway. I think sending in 1 LOCI right about now if you applied waaaaay before (Oct like me) would be appropriate and advised. Don't annoy them with petty information.

I'm not sure if the LOR really adds strength to my app. It is definitely a different side of me, as I assume my other two letters were academically focused, while this one is from the perspective of my boss.

HopefulFish

Postby HopefulFish » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:16 am

Of all people, I thought I'd get the "Decision Letter Sent" update aka "Rejection Letter" by now. However, I'm still "Submitted for Review." I'd be heartbroken if my status changed by tomorrow morning =( What a cruel joke to play on a desperate Stanfordee.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:17 am

HopefulFish wrote:Of all people, I thought I'd get the "Decision Letter Sent" update aka "Rejection Letter" by now. However, I'm still "Submitted for Review." I'd be heartbroken if my status changed by tomorrow morning =( What a cruel joke to play on a desperate Stanfordee.

Ha. It could happen to anyone of us at any time. I for one, appreciate every moment I am still "submitted for review" :P.

HopefulFish

Postby HopefulFish » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:19 am

Knock wrote:
HopefulFish wrote:

Honestly, if the LOR is good and adds to the strength of your app, then definitely do it. But if it's just another filler, don't. I think the admissions knows most things we send at this point is bs anyway. I think sending in 1 LOCI right about now if you applied waaaaay before (Oct like me) would be appropriate and advised. Don't annoy them with petty information.

I'm not sure if the LOR really adds strength to my app. It is definitely a different side of me, as I assume my other two letters were academically focused, while this one is from the perspective of my boss.

From personally speaking to some head adcoms (Ed Tom, Rob Schwartz, and others) they mentioned to me over and over again that they don't care if the rec letter comes from the president or Ghandi reincarnated. Dean Deal also stresses the importance of using great discretion in sending in additional information post-app. LOR must be from someone who knows your academic abilities and personal attributes. We are after all applying to a professional/academic institution. So if your LOR reflects this thought and not just some nice things about how nice you are, then go for it!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:23 am

HopefulFish wrote:
From personally speaking to some head adcoms (Ed Tom, Rob Schwartz, and others) they mentioned to me over and over again that they don't care if the rec letter comes from the president or Ghandi reincarnated. Dean Deal also stresses the importance of using great discretion in sending in additional information post-app. LOR must be from someone who knows your academic abilities and personal attributes. We are after all applying to a professional/academic institution. So if your LOR reflects this thought and not just some nice things about how nice you are, then go for it!

You are right, it is a"professional" school, so if the LOR reflects nice "professional" qualities, then it's fine coming from a boss. Your academic prowess is only a measure of how well you can do in SLS, and hopefully leading on to a successful "professional" career. So a LOR describing nice "professional" qualities (without mentioning academic abilities) is not as useless as you claim. - a professional.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:58 am

LSAC finally notified me my transcript update was received. Yay for more waiting on schools now..

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:01 am

cardinals1989 wrote:LSAC finally notified me my transcript update was received. Yay for more waiting on schools now..

Good luck! I wonder how long it will take before the schools get through the massive pile of updates these couple of weeks. I wonder if people get dinged before their updates even get read...

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:50 am

Um just checked my status and it is BLANK. Thinking they are updating it I guess?

Roarrr

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:52 am

thecilent wrote:Um just checked my status and it is BLANK. Thinking they are updating it I guess?

Roarrr

Does it say DLS above the status box?

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:53 am

but it's not even 8 am there?

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:55 am

Oh woops. Yeah it is above the bio box. Weird that they would put it on the other side like that.

Well it wasn't like I had much hope at this point anyway. Good luck to everyone elsee

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:01 pm

Anyone know if they are going DLS in order of receipt?

I submitted and went complete in late October and still have a UR status. There are only 2 rejects that have posted on LSN, one September submission and one without a date.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:01 pm

rs2004 wrote:but it's not even 8 am there?

Dean Deal is known to work very early in the morning.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:03 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:

Does Dean Deal do the status updates as well? lol

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:04 pm

rs2004 wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:

Actually probably since it's an integrated system, once a decision is reached, your status should update.

ETA it should be as simple as checking off a check box or clicking a button. That's how I make them in my web apps.

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:05 pm

rs2004 wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:

Dean Deal does all. She's like the Chuck Norris of admissions.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:15 pm

thecilent wrote:Oh woops. Yeah it is above the bio box. Weird that they would put it on the other side like that.

Well it wasn't like I had much hope at this point anyway. Good luck to everyone elsee

So sorry client.

Now, every time someone says their status updated, I rush to check mine and pray I don't see DLS.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:17 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
thecilent wrote:Oh woops. Yeah it is above the bio box. Weird that they would put it on the other side like that.

So sorry client cilent.

Now, every time someone says their status updated, I rush to check mine and pray I don't see DLS.

sorry :( and fixed it.

I am officially terrified of this checker. I was tempted to delete it from my bookmarks and the email.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:23 pm

r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:

So sorry client cilent.

sorry :( and fixed it.

I am officially terrified of this checker. I was tempted to delete it from my bookmarks and the email.

:oops: and +1

Raramuri415

Postby Raramuri415 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Question: did anyone who got DLS also send in an LOCI or addendum recently? I am seriously worried that I might get dinged before they even read mine.

LilMonsterAnnie

Postby LilMonsterAnnie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:45 pm

Dean Deal does all. She's like the Chuck Norris of admissions.

classic
who doesn't love a little Chuck Deal

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:28 pm

Guess my DLS had been there for a while: just got the snail-mail rejection. (Late September app)

Okay officially checking out / heartbroken.

Bye S thread.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:29 pm

thecilent wrote:Guess my DLS had been there for a while: just got the snail-mail rejection. (Late September app)

Okay officially checking out / heartbroken.

Bye S thread.

Damn, we lost a good man today :(.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”