Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:27 pm

Knock wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Most things school related in Philly are closed today because it is a huge day of service for us. I am slightly ashamed I had to come to work instead of out volunteering.


I don't have today off, but upon realizing most schools were closed I at first thought it would mean a day's break from checking status checkers and TLS every 10 minutes. Then I realized I was only kidding myself. What else am I really going to do at work?


Give yourself a day off :).


BLASPHEMY.

User avatar
whathojeeves
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby whathojeeves » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:55 pm

Knock wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Most things school related in Philly are closed today because it is a huge day of service for us. I am slightly ashamed I had to come to work instead of out volunteering.


I don't have today off, but upon realizing most schools were closed I at first thought it would mean a day's break from checking status checkers and TLS every 10 minutes. Then I realized I was only kidding myself. What else am I really going to do at work?


Give yourself a day off :).


The TLS Dean Signal rests for no man (or national holiday).

Casey2889
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Casey2889 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:15 pm

hey guys, i went complete 1/7/11 when my December LSAT came in....when do most late-ish applicants get a decision? do you think it's unreasonable to expect a decision before 3/13?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:17 pm

Casey2889 wrote:hey guys, i went complete 1/7/11 when my December LSAT came in....when do most late-ish applicants get a decision? do you think it's unreasonable to expect a decision before 3/13?


Not related but when did Columbia become top Ivy? :P

dc1s
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:54 am

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby dc1s » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:19 pm

Casey2889 wrote:hey guys, i went complete 1/7/11 when my December LSAT came in....when do most late-ish applicants get a decision? do you think it's unreasonable to expect a decision before 3/13?


I know of early apps (early November) that did not receive a decision (acceptance) until late April. I do not think it is unreasonable to expect a decision before 3/13, but do not be shocked (or overly worried) if you do not receive one.

Casey2889
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Casey2889 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:37 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Casey2889 wrote:hey guys, i went complete 1/7/11 when my December LSAT came in....when do most late-ish applicants get a decision? do you think it's unreasonable to expect a decision before 3/13?


Not related but when did Columbia become top Ivy? :P


haha...you laugh now, but just wait. (warning: shameless defense of UG forthcoming)

we've spent 40+ years recovering from a combination of poor administrative decisions that alienated an earlier generation of deep-pocketed alums (see: 1968 protests) and graduates (see: atrocious endowment growth 1970-1990) on top of NYC going to hell in the early 1970s (which sent a decade of top tier applicants choosing princeton over us). we were once considered on par with H and Y and we're moving up again (#4 USNWR, above stanford). our admit rate will be ~6.5% this year, even lower if you exclude the engineering school. anyways, from what i've heard from visiting admissions officers and at OCI, employers/prof schools look at Columbia as an elite school on par with "HYP"....that said, point taken.

User avatar
$1.99
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:49 am

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby $1.99 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:22 am

wow...before i found this website i had no idea there was a population of ppl who distinguished one from one another. for me there was just three leagues. Great schools, mediocre schools, and online schools. but what do you know, there is actually a difference in attending princeton and attending columbia. those one rank spots make a huge difference eh?

actually i will concede schools like cornell and brown get a bad rep as wannabe elite schools.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Knock » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:12 pm

This can't be on the second page! Bump.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Knock wrote:This can't be on the second page! Bump.


That's cuz everyone bailed.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Knock wrote:This can't be on the second page! Bump.

Well, now we see how you got so many pages, knock.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Knock » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:15 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Knock wrote:This can't be on the second page! Bump.

Well, now we see how you got so many pages, knock.


Ya caught me.

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:17 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:This can't be on the second page! Bump.


That's cuz everyone bailed.


Pretenders!!!

User avatar
aesis
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:26 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby aesis » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:23 pm

edit: i guess this question is better suited to admissions forum

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:30 pm

Sprry if this has already been asked, but does anybody know Stanford's usual decision "path" on its status checker? Is it like Gtown where some people (myself included) are accepted without ever going past complete, or is do the actively keep you informed?

FWIW, I am sitting at:

Your file has been submitted for review. (12/xx/2010)

Thank you!

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:31 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:Sprry if this has already been asked, but does anybody know Stanford's usual decision "path" on its status checker? Is it like Gtown where some people (myself included) are accepted without ever going past complete, or is do the actively keep you informed?

FWIW, I am sitting at:

Your file has been submitted for review. (12/xx/2010)

Thank you!

You're at the final step from what I have heard. Now you either get in or you don't. They'll call you.

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:57 pm

CastleRock wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:Sprry if this has already been asked, but does anybody know Stanford's usual decision "path" on its status checker? Is it like Gtown where some people (myself included) are accepted without ever going past complete, or is do the actively keep you informed?

FWIW, I am sitting at:

Your file has been submitted for review. (12/xx/2010)

Thank you!

You're at the final step from what I have heard. Now you either get in or you don't. They'll call you.


Thank you. Anybody else?

And any thought on still being S4R from early December?

Thanks!

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:59 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:Sprry if this has already been asked, but does anybody know Stanford's usual decision "path" on its status checker? Is it like Gtown where some people (myself included) are accepted without ever going past complete, or is do the actively keep you informed?

FWIW, I am sitting at:

Your file has been submitted for review. (12/xx/2010)

Thank you!

You're at the final step from what I have heard. Now you either get in or you don't. They'll call you.


Thank you. Anybody else?

And any thought on still being S4R from early December?

Thanks!


SLS does most of their admitting towards the end of the cycle, so not getting in at this point means you're not an autoadmit, but it doesn't mean you are SOL.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:03 pm

CastleRock wrote:
SLS does most of their admitting towards the end of the cycle, so not getting in at this point means you're not an autoadmit, but it doesn't mean you are SOL.


I can't thank you enough for this.

User avatar
gbpackerbacker
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:18 pm

Thanks!

User avatar
NikaneOkie
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby NikaneOkie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:25 pm

Should I tell them before admissions that I'm doing TFA, if I decide for sure in the next few days that's what I'm doing?
Will it...

Help?
Hurt?
be the right thing to do, but hurt?

User avatar
The Stig
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby The Stig » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:31 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:Should I tell them before admissions that I'm doing TFA, if I decide for sure in the next few days that's what I'm doing?
Will it...

Help?
Hurt?
be the right thing to do, but hurt?


I feel like the benefit from having TFA on your resume comes from the experience aka you might have a stronger application if you apply the fall before you really enter law school? you might as well include it, but it might lead to a waitlist because they know you won't be joining the class this fall... just my $.02

User avatar
Lovely Ludwig Van
Posts: 370
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:41 pm

Also "SR 12/xx/10" here. It's certainly nice to hear that they do most of their accepting towards later dates, very comforting.

Out of curiosity, how many people here submitted targeted LOR's? If so, how many? I get the feeling that they are going to play a huge deal for borderline candidates. I'm thinking of sending another one in to see if it can tip the scales in my favor.

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:50 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Also "SR 12/xx/10" here. It's certainly nice to hear that they do most of their accepting towards later dates, very comforting.

Out of curiosity, how many people here submitted targeted LOR's? If so, how many? I get the feeling that they are going to play a huge deal for borderline candidates. I'm thinking of sending another one in to see if it can tip the scales in my favor.


Just to echo everyone else, the Submitted for Review is the last thing before decision. Acceptances are by phone call, and waitlists/denies are by snail mail only, in a smaller white envelope. It is also credited that submitted dates with long review periods are not necessarily bad.

I submitted two targeted LORs. I also submitted some other non-targeted ones.

ETA: Just in case anyone was curious, in last year's thread there were several acceptances today and Friday this week last year. Actually a fairly large amount (around 6 or 7) for Stanford. Also, a week from this Friday is when the first snail mailed rejection was received.

HopefulFish
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby HopefulFish » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:45 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Also "SR 12/xx/10" here. It's certainly nice to hear that they do most of their accepting towards later dates, very comforting.

Out of curiosity, how many people here submitted targeted LOR's? If so, how many? I get the feeling that they are going to play a huge deal for borderline candidates. I'm thinking of sending another one in to see if it can tip the scales in my favor.


Just to echo everyone else, the Submitted for Review is the last thing before decision. Acceptances are by phone call, and waitlists/denies are by snail mail only, in a smaller white envelope. It is also credited that submitted dates with long review periods are not necessarily bad.

I submitted two targeted LORs. I also submitted some other non-targeted ones.

ETA: Just in case anyone was curious, in last year's thread there were several acceptances today and Friday this week last year. Actually a fairly large amount (around 6 or 7) for Stanford. Also, a week from this Friday is when the first snail mailed rejection was received.


I'll expect a nice snail mail rejection next Friday then. :(

hjag
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby hjag » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:07 pm

CastleRock wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:Sprry if this has already been asked, but does anybody know Stanford's usual decision "path" on its status checker? Is it like Gtown where some people (myself included) are accepted without ever going past complete, or is do the actively keep you informed?

FWIW, I am sitting at:

Your file has been submitted for review. (12/xx/2010)

Thank you!

You're at the final step from what I have heard. Now you either get in or you don't. They'll call you.


Thank you. Anybody else?

And any thought on still being S4R from early December?

Thanks!


SLS does most of their admitting towards the end of the cycle, so not getting in at this point means you're not an autoadmit, but it doesn't mean you are SOL.


Will people who applied in Jan. still be penalized then? I know YLS is only semi-rolling, so late applicants don't tend to be penalized much if at all. Are you implying that this is similar for SLS admissions?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”