Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gotti

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby Gotti » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:10 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Gotti wrote:Dude living in LA has made bay area traffic look luxurious.

I also added above: I ride motorcycles, CA is the only state you can legally split lanes, so commuting will never be a problem save for rainy days - then I will just take my time.

Pleasanton is nice. Lots of old rich white people

jman77

Postby jman77 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:52 pm

I'll be submitting an update regarding a promotion I got last week (thanks to whoever posted that link to Dean Deal's blog). After 2 consecutive losing days, I am not feeling so great about the remainder of the cycle, but I'm gonna do what I can to try and bounce back.

There have been on rejections yet, have there?

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:02 pm

jman77 wrote:I'll be submitting an update regarding a promotion I got last week (thanks to whoever posted that link to Dean Deal's blog). After 2 consecutive losing days, I am not feeling so great about the remainder of the cycle, but I'm gonna do what I can to try and bounce back.

There have been on rejections yet, have there?

There have been no rejections reported here or LSN as far as I know. I think the waitlists and rejections will start in real earnest later this month or in February.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:04 pm

Commuting to Stanford from Danville or Pleasanton? - good luck with that. I think San Jose would be a much better choice. Not so far away and you can find some cheap housing (cheap for the Bay Area). If by some miracle I get into Stanford, I think I would probably live in San Jose with my mother-in-law during the week and go home to the East Bay on the weekends. It would be kind of awkward but worth it to avoid the commute.

lalady

Postby lalady » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:19 pm

hey philly,

i may be one of your future berk classmates....bay area native almost my whole life. check out orinda if you end up at boalt. very family friendly and beautiful, and it has its own bart station/is a really quick drive through the tunnel compared to towns farther east like danville and pleasant hill. also, the orinda school district (K-8) is #1 in the state, and the high school district is also #1.

r6_philly wrote:
Spykuh wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I am going to live in San Jose or a little bit north on 680 if I get in. Munger looks soooo nice though.

that's so far! the commute will not be pleasant in the morning

edit: north on 680 i mean, depending on where you live in san jose that won't be bad at all

I am used to commutes up to 1 hour. If I can find what I want out of San Jose great, if not we did like the Pleasanton and Danville areas. Need room to roam the kids and dog.

ETA: if I end up at Berkeley I will probably live in Pleasant Hill to Martinez.

BTW I ride motorcycles so commutes are a bit easier no matter how packed the roads are.

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Spykuh wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I am going to live in San Jose or a little bit north on 680 if I get in. Munger looks soooo nice though.

that's so far! the commute will not be pleasant in the morning

edit: north on 680 i mean, depending on where you live in san jose that won't be bad at all

I am used to commutes up to 1 hour. If I can find what I want out of San Jose great, if not we did like the Pleasanton and Danville areas. Need room to roam the kids and dog.

ETA: if I end up at Berkeley I will probably live in Pleasant Hill to Martinez.

BTW I ride motorcycles so commutes are a bit easier no matter how packed the roads are.

Having commuted across the Bay and up and down it and sideways through it, I can promise you that Danville/Pleasanton to Palo Alto in any sort of traffic at all will take you at least 1.5-2 hours. Even on a bike. Think about Willow Glen or Campbell, or some bits of North San Jose instead.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:24 pm

whathojeeves wrote:Having commuted across the Bay and up and down it and sideways through it, I can promise you that Danville/Pleasanton to Palo Alto in any sort of traffic at all will take you at least 1.5-2 hours. Even on a bike. Think about Willow Glen or Campbell, or some bits of North San Jose instead.

35 miles in 1 hour is plenty on a bike even in Manhattan/NYC. But I am aiming for San Jose to cut it down to about 20 miles. I think I was considering Danville/Pleasanton for Berkeley mostly.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:30 pm

lalady wrote:hey philly,

i may be one of your future berk classmates....bay area native almost my whole life. check out orinda if you end up at boalt. very family friendly and beautiful, and it has its own bart station/is a really quick drive through the tunnel compared to towns farther east like danville and pleasant hill. also, the orinda school district (K-8) is #1 in the state, and the high school district is also #1.

Thanks! This was suggested, I will look into it. We were just getting a feel of the areas. I will do more serious looking at ASW.

MartianManhunter

Postby MartianManhunter » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:Having commuted across the Bay and up and down it and sideways through it, I can promise you that Danville/Pleasanton to Palo Alto in any sort of traffic at all will take you at least 1.5-2 hours. Even on a bike. Think about Willow Glen or Campbell, or some bits of North San Jose instead.

35 miles in 1 hour is plenty on a bike even in Manhattan/NYC. But I am aiming for San Jose to cut it down to about 20 miles. I think I was considering Danville/Pleasanton for Berkeley mostly.

I live 5 miles away in Mountain View and it's a half hour commute in traffic. You will have classes at 8:30 am multiple times a week. You will be sad if you live in San Jose and have to drive 1.5+ hours to get to school on time. Don't do it to yourself. I've done the one-way commute for 2 hours between DC and MD for work, but it's definitely a drag come law school.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:53 pm

MartianManhunter wrote:I live 5 miles away in Mountain View and it's a half hour commute in traffic. You will have classes at 8:30 am multiple times a week. You will be sad if you live in San Jose and have to drive 1.5+ hours to get to school on time. Don't do it to yourself. I've done the one-way commute for 2 hours between DC and MD for work, but it's definitely a drag come law school.

Can't afford anything closer because I need 4 BRs. I am not in at SLS yet so this is a bit premature. I commuted daily on bikes for a few years, I am confident I can make 10 miles in 20-25 minutes even if the roads are turned into parking lots because there is no traffic when you are on a bike.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:00 pm

r6_philly wrote:
MartianManhunter wrote:I live 5 miles away in Mountain View and it's a half hour commute in traffic. You will have classes at 8:30 am multiple times a week. You will be sad if you live in San Jose and have to drive 1.5+ hours to get to school on time. Don't do it to yourself. I've done the one-way commute for 2 hours between DC and MD for work, but it's definitely a drag come law school.

Can't afford anything closer because I need 4 BRs. I am not in at SLS yet so this is a bit premature. I commuted daily on bikes for a few years, I am confident I can make 10 miles in 20-25 minutes even if the roads are turned into parking lots because there is no traffic when you are on a bike.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

CosmoLaw

Postby CosmoLaw » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:11 pm

Any known acceptances today???

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:18 pm

CosmoLaw wrote:Any known acceptances today???

If someone gets in they will post.

Anyways, I was thinking the other day. Chicago and SLS are the 2 smallest T14 class sizes (190 and 170 respectively). A ton of people got Chicago acceptances, far more than i've heard from the SLS thread or LSN for S. I realize that SLS probably has a much higher yield % than Chicago, but I can't help but feel that there are quite a few SLS seats still open. So stay patient and stay optimistic :).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I want to know what you are laughing at :P

CosmoLaw

Postby CosmoLaw » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:36 pm

Knock Post subject: Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:18 pm

Anyways, I was thinking the other day. Chicago and SLS are the 2 smallest T14 class sizes (190 and 170 respectively). A ton of people got Chicago acceptances, far more than i've heard from the SLS thread or LSN for S. I realize that SLS probably has a much higher yield % than Chicago, but I can't help but feel that there are quite a few SLS seats still open. So stay patient and stay optimistic .

-It's difficult when you're a borderline candidate. But I get what you're saying.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:37 pm

One of the disadvantages of commuting from the East Bay is the toll bridge. It seriously takes an hour and half to commute to Stanford from San Jose? I may have to rethink my plan. I considered telling my husband that we are going to rent in Palo Alto and he will just have to suck it up and deal with commuting to San Francisco, but I would rather not have to rent out our place if we can avoid it. Of course, I am probably fretting about this for nothing because the chances of me getting in with a 3.62 GPA are .0000000000001%.

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:39 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Bay Area traffic at rush hour is just truly terrible - I've commuted across London, from Brooklyn to Manhattan, through various 3rd world cities, and San Francisco to Palo Alto is the worst so far. But Berkeley to/from Pleasanton isn't too bad, and I definitely need to 2nd lalady's suggestion of Orinda! Super super nice.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:39 pm

CosmoLaw wrote:Knock Post subject: Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:18 pm

Anyways, I was thinking the other day. Chicago and SLS are the 2 smallest T14 class sizes (190 and 170 respectively). A ton of people got Chicago acceptances, far more than i've heard from the SLS thread or LSN for S. I realize that SLS probably has a much higher yield % than Chicago, but I can't help but feel that there are quite a few SLS seats still open. So stay patient and stay optimistic .

-It's difficult when you're a borderline candidate. But I get what you're saying.

Haha, most people who apply to SLS are borderline candidates :P. Myself and a lot of people in this thread included.

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:40 pm

sarahh wrote:One of the disadvantages of commuting from the East Bay is the toll bridge. It seriously takes an hour and half to commute to Stanford from San Jose? I may have to rethink my plan. I considered telling my husband that we are going to rent in Palo Alto and he will just have to suck it up and deal with commuting to San Francisco, but I would rather not have to rent out our place if we can avoid it. Of course, I am probably fretting about this for nothing because the chances of me getting in with a 3.62 GPA are .0000000000001%.

You could always try Redwood City -- if you cut through Atherton to get to Stanford it isn't too far, and it's a bit closer to the city either by car or caltrains.

NikaneOkie

Postby NikaneOkie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:46 pm

I know for a fact that my friend got in today, and she's definitely going.
So happy for her!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:48 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:I know for a fact that my friend got in today, and she's definitely going.
So happy for her!

One less seat! It's getting cutthroat in here!

:mrgreen: congrats to her!

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:52 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:I know for a fact that my friend got in today, and she's definitely going.
So happy for her!

Do you by chance know her stats?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:55 pm

IIRC, the total number of acceptances to Stanford is around 350-360. Their yield is somewhere in high forties I believe.

Im getting really upset that LSAC doesnt have my transcript yet. I think the new gpa might push me across the 3.7 line.

NikaneOkie

Postby NikaneOkie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:06 pm

daisyduke wrote:
So happy for her!

Do you by chance know her stats?

I'm not quite sure, because she's super modest, but I think she has about a 3.8 top ivy, 176
Last edited by NikaneOkie on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:10 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Im getting really upset that LSAC doesnt have my transcript yet. I think the new gpa might push me across the 3.7 line.

that'd be awesome good luck

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”