Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thecilent

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby thecilent » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:26 pm

Thanks for the help man. I feel like I've given up on stanford already, so haven't done any research after submitting. Thanks for the links

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:40 pm

thecilent wrote:Thanks for the help man. I feel like I've given up on stanford already, so haven't done any research after submitting. Thanks for the links

Not a problem. I feel like after all the shameless feeding off of TLS I have done, I should try to help with what little I know, haha.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:52 pm

Haha It's what makes being on tls so advantageous

CosmoLaw

Postby CosmoLaw » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:38 pm

"I went complete in December and heard back last week."- Dot

I'm officially worried... may I ask what your stats are?

dot

Postby dot » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:45 pm

CosmoLaw wrote:"I went complete in December and heard back last week."- Dot

I'm officially worried... may I ask what your stats are?

Don't be too worried, dude; it's not all by the numbers and it's not fully rolling. A friend of mine at Yale now said he got his Stanford acceptance in April last year. Plus there will be more acceptances coming in the next few weeks of January and you should take it as a good sign that December completes (as well as earlier ones) are in the mix of the stack.

CosmoLaw

Postby CosmoLaw » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:20 pm

I know... technically worry accomplishes nothing... but the nail-biting is inevitable in this harrowing process... I really hope I get in

tgir

Postby tgir » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:25 am

Just visited Stanford, including an overnight in Munger. I'll try to post pictures soon once I get everything downloaded from my camera. If anyone is interested in pictures of the interior of Munger, just PM me (I feel a little weird about posting pictures of someone's dorm room on the internet).

I sat in on Property and Evidence. Property was meh, but Evidence was taught really well--it was 3 hours long but actually tolerable! I personally am not going to judge schools one way or the other based on a small snapshot of classes, but feel free to ask about the class experience if you want to know more.

Obviously this is all very subjective, but my overall impressions:

Stanford's campus and location: The Disney analogies are apt, and this is coming from someone who grew up 30 minutes from Disney World. Alternatively, you might say that it feels like a country club of sorts, except filled with young, smart people. The architecture is pleasant even if for no other reason than its simplicity and uniformity. BIKES! Oh my God, bikes are everywhere, as are convenient places to lock them up, and the entire Bay Area seems incredibly bike-friendly. And this is important because the campus is massive. I had read about how big it was, but it really didn't strike me until I actually walked the perimeter. It took me about 80-90 minutes to get from the law school to downtown San Francisco via BART, so I would say that the barrier is far from insurmountable--but I also got the feeling that the distance was definitely enough to impose a psychological barrier to actually enjoying the city. I personally think of it this way: if you start in the middle of Harvard's or Columbia's campus and walk 5-10 minutes in any given direction, you will find yourself in a new, distinct neighborhood primarily populated by non-students (an escape); at Stanford, 10 minutes later you'll still be very much at Stanford. So, as others have said, you really have to make formal plans to go into the city--and in case anyone is wondering, Palo Alto is NOT a city by any meaningful definition. That said, a 10-minute walk at Stanford could take you to any of dozens of beautiful grassy areas to just sit and enjoy the serenity of nature, which Harvard and Columbia can't provide. Perhaps the other main advantage of the location was that it felt like it would be really easy to maintain a solid academic schedule mixed with a solid intra-school social life without the distractions of a big city to scatter yours and other people's thoughts.

The law school's facilities and faculty/staff: Like the Disney analogies, the high school analogies are shockingly accurate--at least with regard to the building. It was actually a lot bigger than I had imagined, but the flow of people through and around the building definitely felt like high school. The exteriors, as most of you already know, are uninspiring, but the interiors are all very clean and professional and sufficient for the needs of the school. Also, the new building is looking great and should be finished very soon from what everyone said. The people in the admissions office are awesome. I had emailed with Dean Deal about my visit but never set up an exact time to meet with her; I decided I would stop by her office, and she immediately dropped everything and chatted with me for 20 minutes--nice lady. Also, the Associate Director of Admissions, Piyada Nonzee, is insanely nice.

The student body: I don't really have any group to compare them to, as Stanford is the first school I've visited, but the students were all very nice. I didn't meet a single person who rubbed me the wrong way, and while some were more sociable than others, the average level of social intelligence was quite high. Most everyone introduced to me seemed genuinely interested in hearing about my background, and they were willing to discuss the pros and cons of Stanford maturely. I also went to a bar review last Thursday night, which was well-attended (after a certain hour, haha). Palo Alto didn't seem to have much nightlife, but I basically felt that Stanford students take the initiative to create nightlife for themselves in Palo Alto at least once a week, which is nice.

Like I said, if anyone has questions, ask away or PM.
Last edited by tgir on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:34 am

I drove around the bay in about 80 minutes FWIW (from Stanford to SF to Berkeley down to San Jose and back to Stanford). The bay area seems (to me) incredibly condensed and small. You other assessments are right on though, especially about the bikes...

tgir

Postby tgir » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:42 am

r6_philly wrote:I drove around the bay in about 80 minutes FWIW (from Stanford to SF to Berkeley down to San Jose and back to Stanford). The bay area seems (to me) incredibly condensed and small. You other assessments are right on though, especially about the bikes...

Ah, yes. To clarify: I meant by BART. I didn't have a car.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:48 am

Tagged. My next freakout thread.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:51 am

tgir wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I drove around the bay in about 80 minutes FWIW (from Stanford to SF to Berkeley down to San Jose and back to Stanford). The bay area seems (to me) incredibly condensed and small. You other assessments are right on though, especially about the bikes...

Why did it take so long? Had to take a bus to Bart? I feel that as convenient as BART is, if you are not planning to live your life by the stations you need a car since the bay area is spread apart. I commute 45 minutes each way for about 10 miles in Philly, so I think the bay area would be such an upgrade. I also ride motorcycles, which will be even more convenient.

So how likely will you attend?

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:54 am

tgir wrote:Just visited Stanford, including an overnight in Munger. I'll try to post pictures soon once I get everything downloaded from my camera. If anyone is interested in pictures of the interior of Munger, just PM me (I feel a little weird about posting pictures of someone's dorm room on the internet).

I sat in on Property and Evidence. Property was meh, but Evidence was taught really well--it was 3 hours long but actually tolerable! I personally am not going to judge schools one way or the other based on a small snapshot of classes, but feel free to ask about the class experience if you want to know more.

Stanford's campus and location: The Disney analogies are apt, and this is coming from someone who grew up 30 minutes from Disney World. Alternatively, you might say that it feels like a country club of sorts, except filled with young, smart people. The architecture is pleasant even if for no other reason than its simplicity and uniformity. BIKES! Oh my God, bikes are everywhere, as are convenient places to lock them up, and the entire Bay Area seems incredibly bike-friendly. And this is important because the campus is massive. I had read about how big it was, but it really didn't strike me until I actually walked the perimeter. It took me about 80-90 minutes to get from the law school to downtown San Francisco via BART, so I would say that the barrier is far from insurmountable--but I also got the feeling that the distance was definitely enough to impose a psychological barrier to actually enjoying the city. I personally think of it this way: if you start in the middle of Harvard's or Columbia's campus and walk 5-10 minutes in any given direction, you will find yourself in a new, distinct neighborhood primarily populated by non-students (an escape); at Stanford, 10 minutes later you'll still be very much at Stanford. So, as others have said, you really have to make formal plans to go into the city--and in case anyone is wondering, Palo Alto is NOT a city by any meaningful definition. That said, a 10-minute walk at Stanford could take you to any of dozens of beautiful grassy areas to just sit and enjoy the serenity of nature, which Harvard and Columbia can't provide. Perhaps the other main advantage of the location was that it felt like it would be really easy to maintain a solid academic schedule mixed with a solid intra-school social life without the distractions of a big city to scatter yours and other people's thoughts.

The law school's facilities and faculty/staff: Like the Disney analogies, the high school analogies are shockingly accurate--at least with regard to the building. It was actually a lot bigger than I had imagined, but the flow of people through and around the building definitely felt like high school. The exteriors, as most of you already know, are uninspiring, but the interiors are all very clean and professional and sufficient for the needs of the school. Also, the new building is looking great and should be finished very soon from what everyone said. The people in the admissions office are awesome. I had emailed with Dean Deal about my visit but never set up an exact time to meet with her; I decided I would stop by her office, and she immediately dropped everything and chatted with me for 20 minutes--nice lady. Also, the Associate Director of Admissions, Piyada Nonzee, is insanely nice.

The student body: I don't really have any group to compare them to, as Stanford is the first school I've visited, but the students were all very nice. I didn't meet a single person who rubbed me the wrong way, and while some were more sociable than others, the average level of social intelligence was quite high. Most everyone introduced to me seemed genuinely interested in hearing about my background, and they were willing to discuss the pros and cons of Stanford maturely. I also went to a bar review last Thursday night, which was well-attended (after a certain hour, haha). Palo Alto didn't seem to have much nightlife, but I basically felt that Stanford students take the initiative to create nightlife for themselves in Palo Alto at least once a week, which is nice.

That sounds amazing. Thank you so much for a very detailed account of your visit :).

I'm a little bit worried that I will get waitlisted before my transcript update gets to SLS, since my school still hasn't sent it out even though I requested it a month ago.

tgir

Postby tgir » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:58 am

r6_philly wrote:
tgir wrote:

Why did it take so long? Had to take a bus to Bart? I feel that as convenient as BART is, if you are not planning to live your life by the stations you need a car since the bay area is spread apart. I commute 45 minutes each way for about 10 miles in Philly, so I think the bay area would be such an upgrade. I also ride motorcycles, which will be even more convenient.

So how likely will you attend?

Yeah, the Caltrain (now that I think about it, I'm not actually sure if that's technically part of "BART") station is pretty far from the law school. It took me a while to get there, and then I waited a bit for the train, and then the train ride itself was about an hour. Interestingly, though, when I looked at the Caltrain schedules, I noticed that some took about an hour (because of all the stops), while others were more like 45 minutes (express trains). So, at the right time of day with the right timing, you could probably do the whole trip in an hour.

And yeah, in the world of commutes, it really isn't so bad. It's just a change for those of us used to living in the cities themselves, I guess.

How likely to attend? Well, over Christmas, I told my family 70% chance. So let's stick with that for now, haha.

moneko

Postby moneko » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:19 am

Last edited by moneko on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spykuh

Postby Spykuh » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:26 am

bay area native here! using public transportation to get from palo alto to the city is waaaay too much of an effort to even consider it as something that one would do on a daily basis (I've never even attempted it.) public transport within sf is great once you figure out how the muni works.

feel free to pm me if anyone has specific questions about transportation and/or the bay area in general

moneko

Postby moneko » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:32 am

Last edited by moneko on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:41 am

tgir wrote:I also went to a bar review last Thursday night, which was well-attended (after a certain hour, haha). Palo Alto didn't seem to have much nightlife, but I basically felt that Stanford students take the initiative to create nightlife for themselves in Palo Alto at least once a week, which is nice.

You were at Bar Review?!? As one of its planners, I wish you would've told me! Glad that the school gave you a positive vibe (I'm taking Evidence this quarter and can confirm that Prof. Fisher is incredible, both in and out of class).

tgir

Postby tgir » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:25 am

Kretzy wrote:
tgir wrote:I also went to a bar review last Thursday night, which was well-attended (after a certain hour, haha). Palo Alto didn't seem to have much nightlife, but I basically felt that Stanford students take the initiative to create nightlife for themselves in Palo Alto at least once a week, which is nice.

You were at Bar Review?!? As one of its planners, I wish you would've told me! Glad that the school gave you a positive vibe (I'm taking Evidence this quarter and can confirm that Prof. Fisher is incredible, both in and out of class).

Yep, I was there from like 10:15 to 12:30 (left pretty early because I was still on East Coast time). And yeah, I'm a little bummed that I never got around to contacting you before/during my visit so that I could meet you in person. It's entirely possible that we bumped into each other and didn't even realize it though, haha.

And yeah, Fisher seemed awesome.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:22 am

tgir wrote:Just visited Stanford, including an overnight in Munger. I'll try to post pictures soon once I get everything downloaded from my camera. If anyone is interested in pictures of the interior of Munger, just PM me (I feel a little weird about posting pictures of someone's dorm room on the internet).

this is awesome and very helpful! I'd love to see the pictures of munger if you get a chance!

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:38 am

Knock wrote:That sounds amazing. Thank you so much for a very detailed account of your visit :).

I'm a little bit worried that I will get waitlisted before my transcript update gets to SLS, since my school still hasn't sent it out even though I requested it a month ago.

Using my extensive pull* at Stanford to ensure that doesn't happen :)

*Note: I'm assuming that having not applied to Stanford will give me lots of pull there. They're grateful for not having to look through my app.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:00 pm

You must have hit at exactly the right time with zero traffic. That area, circling around the lower Bay, is pretty small, but bear in mind that the Bay Area extends all the way up through Marin and Napa to the north and LIvermore to the east and maybe even Gilroy to the south. So the whole thing is actually geographically pretty big, and with normal traffic, it's hard to get from one part to another. As noted above, BART is great for where it goes, but it doesn't go very many places (doesn't get down as far south as Stanford), and CalTrain is much worse (fewer trains, slower, etc.).

If you go to Stanford, it's likely that you'll spend most of your time on the lower Peninsula (say, from San Mateo down) and San Jose, not in SF proper, though, so the trafficky craziness that you get up north hardly matters. If you go to Berkeley, the nutty driving conditions matter a little more.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:06 pm

tomwatts wrote:

You must have hit at exactly the right time with zero traffic. That area, circling around the lower Bay, is pretty small, but bear in mind that the Bay Area extends all the way up through Marin and Napa to the north and LIvermore to the east and maybe even Gilroy to the south. So the whole thing is actually geographically pretty big, and with normal traffic, it's hard to get from one part to another. As noted above, BART is great for where it goes, but it doesn't go very many places (doesn't get down as far south as Stanford), and CalTrain is much worse (fewer trains, slower, etc.).

If you go to Stanford, it's likely that you'll spend most of your time on the lower Peninsula (say, from San Mateo down) and San Jose, not in SF proper, though, so the trafficky craziness that you get up north hardly matters. If you go to Berkeley, the nutty driving conditions matter a little more.

Like I said, it takes me about 45 minutes driving less than 10 miles every morning and evening here AFTER peak rush hour. From the plane my first reaction is how small the whole area is ... my sense of the metro area, around Philly, is about 40 miles east-west or north-south, but that's because Philly isn't limited by geographical features. So my persepective may not apply to everyone. As for traffic, I did encounter some, nothing like what I am used to. People are very polite drivers (comparing to here). I guess all things are relative, but coming from where I am now, it is going to be so pleasant to get around. I drove almost 400 miles in 2 days, so we really did explore everywhere.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:44 pm

Knock wrote:That sounds amazing. Thank you so much for a very detailed account of your visit :).

+1. Its been over a week and still no updated transcript. This process needs to speed up, the SO starts applying for jobs in mid-March.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:52 pm

tkgrrett wrote:

+1. Its been over a week and still no updated transcript. This process needs to speed up, the SO starts applying for jobs in mid-March.

Why is it taking you guys so long? I requested my transcript to be sent from school on the afternoon of 1/3, LSAC processed 1/6 and sent the updated reports 1/10.

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:55 pm

they STILL haven't received my Dean's letter?! ughhh :cry:
i'm starting to think that i will never go UR...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”