Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MM326

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Postby MM326 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:45 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:She calls you from a 650 number

I'll be praying for that number to show up my phone for sure. Thanks for the tip!

kak5n

Postby kak5n » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:22 pm

Just submitted! I wasn't going to until the admissions predictor website told me I had a slightly stronger chance at Stanford than Harvard or Yale (higher relative GPA compared to LSAT). At the very least, I will be out $112.

aesis

Postby aesis » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:17 pm

123kl wrote:I was just wondering about your thoughts on whether or not Stanford may be more inclined to wl/reject because you don't seem to have a connection to ca. Is there any truth to this?

Straight from what I heard from Stanford --
They don't weight it heavily, sometimes won't even remember where you're from unless you mention it in in your PS. Geographic diversity is a factor, but it won't hurt you. It can help, though, I'm sure.

Tons of people want to be in CA, and when they get there, they usually stay.

jdstl

Postby jdstl » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:35 pm

Just checked the status thingy today, apparently complete since 11/1. The waiting begins anew.

aimee

Postby aimee » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:03 am

Submitted on Nov 2nd. No status checker email yet. Wonder when it would become complete...
I actually had LORs and Transcripts completed way before I submitted the application.

LawLucy

Postby LawLucy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:48 pm

aimee wrote:Submitted on Nov 2nd. No status checker email yet. Wonder when it would become complete...
I actually had LORs and Transcripts completed way before I submitted the application.

Submitted: 10/30
Complete: 11/1
Status Checker received: 11/4

The wait begins....

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:11 pm

Wow... just came to the realization that Stanford only accepts ~350-360 people a year. I really, really hope those rumors about them focusing more on LSAT are true.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:38 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Wow... just came to the realization that Stanford only accepts ~350-360 people a year. I really, really hope those rumors about them focusing more on LSAT are true.

And I really, really, really hope they are not. :lol:

aimee

Postby aimee » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:42 pm

I read Dean Deal's blog. Seems nothing has changed. Good for me. I do not want to retake. Hope my 4.0 from Stanford will help cover the low LSAT.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:43 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Wow... just came to the realization that Stanford only accepts ~350-360 people a year. I really, really hope those rumors about them focusing more on LSAT are true.

I really really hope they pick me.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:44 pm

Submitted Oct 30
Complete 1 Nov
Submitted for review 3 Nov

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:45 pm

Knock wrote:

+1

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:26 pm

Knock wrote:

I've been gearing myself up to hopefully live in New York, but... yeah, I think I could "settle" for Palo Alto ;)

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:32 pm

zworykin wrote:
Knock wrote:

I've been gearing myself up to hopefully live in New York, but... yeah, I think I could "settle" for Palo Alto ;)

I'm pretty sure New York City would eat me alive.

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:37 pm

Knock wrote:
zworykin wrote:
Knock wrote:

Haha... I've only been there once, for a week, seven years ago. It was fun. Living there, though... definitely a daunting prospect. I suspect I'd find things a lot easier in CA, but I think I'd be happier in NY. It would be a tough choice for me (if by luck and the grace of the adcomms I actually have the opportunity to make the choice myself!)

Postby 4102011 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:40 pm

Knock wrote:
zworykin wrote:
Knock wrote:

So much hate! You would be fine in NYC.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:41 pm

zworykin wrote:
Knock wrote:
zworykin wrote:
Knock wrote:

Haha... I've only been there once, for a week, seven years ago. It was fun. Living there, though... definitely a daunting prospect. I suspect I'd find things a lot easier in CA, but I think I'd be happier in NY. It would be a tough choice for me (if by luck and the grace of the adcomms I actually have the opportunity to make the choice myself!)

I'll put the over/under for number of times I get mugged a week if I end up in NYC at 5.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:41 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
Knock wrote:

+1

+1

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:46 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:

And I really, really, really hope they are not. :lol:

+1 for this direction.

Postby 4102011 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:48 pm

Knock wrote:I'll put the over/under for number of times I get mugged a week if I end up in NYC at 5.

Obviously I want you to get into Stanford because you loooove it (and they'll love you!), but seriously. As long as you're not stumbling around alone late at night, you'll be fine.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:02 pm

Knock wrote:I'm pretty sure New York City would eat me alive.

NYC is kind of weird in that the only main places that are really stereotypical NYC are like the areas near times square/chinatown/broadway (Lower Manhattan I guess its called). These are the areas closer to NYU.. around there its super crowded, the people are rude, its loud, etc. The rest of NYC isnt so bad. I actually dont mind the Columbia area (Washington Heights/Upper Manhattan). It is a lot calmer and quieter. Plus, you are close to a bunch of minority neighborhoods where you can get really cheap food..

Of course Im black and from one of the most dangerous cities in the U.S. so my point of view may be skewed. Definitely dont listen to the people who tell you that Morningside Heights is super dangerous though.. Definitely false.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:08 pm

Times Square/Broadway : midtown. Not really close to NYU. Closer to NYU than Columbia but not close. Chinatown is dirty and rundown. Uptown near Central Park is nice, Columbia is definite more pleasant (to me) than NYU. I wouldn't consider NYC to be not safe at all, just for the fact that there are always soooo many people around. And there are all kinds of people from everywhere at anytime, no one will stand out and appear a target. The same can't be said about some of the most dangerous areas in this country. Usually if you stand out in anyway, you are more of a potential target.

MM326

Postby MM326 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:14 pm

r6_philly wrote:Times Square/Broadway : midtown. Not really close to NYU. Closer to NYU than Columbia but not close. Chinatown is dirty and rundown. Uptown near Central Park is nice, Columbia is definite more pleasant (to me) than NYU. I wouldn't consider NYC to be not safe at all, just for the fact that there are always soooo many people around. And there are all kinds of people from everywhere at anytime, no one will stand out and appear a target. The same can't be said about some of the most dangerous areas in this country. Usually if you stand out in anyway, you are more of a potential target.

NYU is located in Greenwich which is an awesome area. Its relatively far from the tourist areas of NYC (e.g. Times Square/Broadway, Chinatown, etc) and there is always something going on. NYC really isn't that dangerous, so long as you use your common sense and don't go wandering alone into well-known bad areas at strange hours of the night. The nice thing about NYC is that if you live in Greenwich, Midtown, Chelsea, Union Square, even the Upper East Side, there's a lot of people around late into the night so getting back home is really not that dangerous.

Plus NYC has everything you could ever really want, food and entertainment wise.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:19 pm

r6_philly wrote:Times Square/Broadway : midtown. Not really close to NYU. Closer to NYU than Columbia but not close. Chinatown is dirty and rundown. Uptown near Central Park is nice, Columbia is definite more pleasant (to me) than NYU. I wouldn't consider NYC to be not safe at all, just for the fact that there are always soooo many people around. And there are all kinds of people from everywhere at anytime, no one will stand out and appear a target. The same can't be said about some of the most dangerous areas in this country. Usually if you stand out in anyway, you are more of a potential target.

Yea I figured everybody in this thread would be applying to NYU and Columbia so I just defined everything in terms of distance from those schools. I dont love NYC like a lot of people but I could definitely see myself enjoying Columbia.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:22 pm

MM326 wrote:

NYU is located in Greenwich which is an awesome area. Its relatively far from the tourist areas of NYC (e.g. Times Square/Broadway, Chinatown, etc) and there is always something going on. NYC really isn't that dangerous, so long as you use your common sense and don't go wandering alone into well-known bad areas at strange hours of the night. The nice thing about NYC is that if you live in Greenwich, Midtown, Chelsea, Union Square, even the Upper East Side, there's a lot of people around late into the night so getting back home is really not that dangerous.

Plus NYC has everything you could ever really want, food and entertainment wise.

After living in Queens, then in New Brunswick while working in the city, I came to realize that I can get everything I ever really want from elsewhere for about 50% of price or less. We still have family in Bronx and Queens/Jackson Heights, but a weekend visit is about what I can take of NYC at this point. But I know millions of people love NYC, I can understand why, just not for me. I love driving/riding and hate subways/public trans.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”