Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Knock

Platinum

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Post by Knock » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:50 pm

1st post in this thread.

src42

Bronze

Post by src42 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:26 pm

I just got a call on my work phone from a 650 area code, which I googled really quick, saw it was in Palo Alto, and got REALLY nervous. I answered, and it was a guy from Stanford.

(Suspense)

He's a business student and was looking for data for one of his class projects. Disappointment of the week for sure.

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:26 pm

src42 wrote:I just got a call on my work phone from a 650 area code, which I googled really quick, saw it was in Palo Alto, and got REALLY nervous. I answered, and it was a guy from Stanford.

(Suspense)

He's a business student and was looking for data for one of his class projects. Disappointment of the week for sure.
That's horrific.

src42

Bronze

Post by src42 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:28 pm

neonx wrote:
src42 wrote:I just got a call on my work phone from a 650 area code, which I googled really quick, saw it was in Palo Alto, and got REALLY nervous. I answered, and it was a guy from Stanford.

(Suspense)

That's horrific.
Yeah, I'm nauseous and dizzy and sweaty. I hate that kid.

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:33 pm

src42 wrote:
neonx wrote:

(Suspense)

That's horrific.
Holy crap, you can't be serious....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

src42

Bronze

Post by src42 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:42 pm

jrose5 wrote:
src42 wrote:
neonx wrote:

(Suspense)

That's horrific.
Holy crap, you can't be serious....
Well I certainly didn't give him my data.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:48 pm

src42 wrote:Well I certainly didn't give him my data.
Lol- Interdisciplinary studies fail. You aren't getting any GSB related admissions points.

Weirdlog

Bronze

Post by Weirdlog » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:48 pm

Knock wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
Knock wrote:
Confused7 wrote:Judging by the graphs in the OP, should we be bracing ourselves for massive spike in DLS in the next few weeks?
Yes :shock:
Yeah, probably at the end of March and early April, right?
Yeah, that's what it looks like from the decision date graph.
Yeah this is about to become one of those situations where you just try to stay alive for as many days as you can.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:58 pm

Some advice: Should I add an addendum about why I applied late? I'm a re-applicant and have been very busy this year and was living somewhere with only sporadic internet access. I'd decided to work another year, save money, and apply next year. But then, right before February I had a few days and used that polish my SLS application and send it in. I didn't send an addendum, because I didn't really think it was necessary.

Now I'm wondering if it will look strange that I applied so late when I was a re-applicant?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:59 pm

Hey-O wrote:Some advice: Should I add an addendum about why I applied late? I'm a re-applicant and have been very busy this year and was living somewhere with only sporadic internet access. I'd decided to work another year, save money, and apply next year. But then, right before February I had a few days and used that polish my SLS application and send it in. I didn't send an addendum, because I didn't really think it was necessary.

Now I'm wondering if it will look strange that I applied so late when I was a re-applicant?
Personally, I wouldn't, it seems kind of unnecessary.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:59 pm

Hey-O wrote:Some advice: Should I add an addendum about why I applied late? I'm a re-applicant and have been very busy this year and was living somewhere with only sporadic internet access. I'd decided to work another year, save money, and apply next year. But then, right before February I had a few days and used that polish my SLS application and send it in. I didn't send an addendum, because I didn't really think it was necessary.

were you past deadline?

here is dean deal herself in the most recent blog post:

Regarding work, let me tell you about the most aggravating pieces of paper on my desk right now. As you might imagine, we’ve had requests asking to submit late applications. These requests never come in with specific reasons for the late filing – I think these applicants believe we’ll not notice. In any case, staff always reaches out asking for the reasons behind the lateness. And, what do we hear back? “I just decided I want to go to law school in the last few weeks.” “My job opportunity fell through and I find myself with time on my hands.” “I’ve been busy with classes.” “I’ve been down with the flu.” Really? These are not good reasons and you need not worry that any of the people behind these requests are competing with you for seats in the class. I’m waiting for “The dog ate my application.” I have a feeling it’s gonna come one of these days.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:01 pm

glitched wrote:

were you past deadline?

Regarding work, let me tell you about the most aggravating pieces of paper on my desk right now. As you might imagine, we’ve had requests asking to submit late applications. These requests never come in with specific reasons for the late filing – I think these applicants believe we’ll not notice. In any case, staff always reaches out asking for the reasons behind the lateness. And, what do we hear back? “I just decided I want to go to law school in the last few weeks.” “My job opportunity fell through and I find myself with time on my hands.” “I’ve been busy with classes.” “I’ve been down with the flu.” Really? These are not good reasons and you need not worry that any of the people behind these requests are competing with you for seats in the class. I’m waiting for “The dog ate my application.” I have a feeling it’s gonna come one of these days.
No. I was right at the dead line. I think I'm just freaking out for no reason. I just feel like I'm an autoding and I'm SAAAAD.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:02 pm

Hey-O wrote:
glitched wrote:

were you past deadline?

No. I was right at the dead line. I think I'm just freaking out for no reason. I just feel like I'm an autoding and I'm SAAAAD.
Don't worry, we're all autodings here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:40 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
fish52 wrote: Is that how the process works for SLS- several rounds of reviews? I haven't seen much movement among January completes (of which I am one). Then again, looking at last year's data on LSN, only ONE (and s/he was a URM) January complete was accepted.
Really? I just looked and found 8 January completes that were accepted, along with 2 February completes.

EDIT: From last year's LSN data, just to be clear.
I was originally looking at January applicants (I applied in January), not January completes (I misspoke in my previous post). I suppose it's the complete date that matters, though. So I'll take this as good news...

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:56 pm

fish52 wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:
fish52 wrote: Is that how the process works for SLS- several rounds of reviews? I haven't seen much movement among January completes (of which I am one). Then again, looking at last year's data on LSN, only ONE (and s/he was a URM) January complete was accepted.
Really? I just looked and found 8 January completes that were accepted, along with 2 February completes.

I was originally looking at January applicants (I applied in January), not January completes (I misspoke in my previous post). I suppose it's the complete date that matters, though. So I'll take this as good news...
Yeah, anyone know when was the latest complete acceptance?

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:02 pm

Hey-O wrote:
fish52 wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:

Yeah, anyone know when was the latest complete acceptance?
There are 2 1/08 submissions, 2/04 completes already accepted to SLS.

snichols16

Bronze

Post by snichols16 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:21 pm

DLS. Complete 1/11.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:08 pm

Silly question but what does DLS stand for? I know what it means, but I don't know what the acronym is. I've been thinking :denied law school. Is that right?

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:10 pm

Hey-O wrote:Silly question but what does DLS stand for? I know what it means, but I don't know what the acronym is. I've been thinking :denied law school. Is that right?
"Decision Letter Sent."

I'm guessing the reason why people view this as a rejection is because an acceptance would be accompanied my a phone call?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:14 pm

jrose5 wrote:
Hey-O wrote:Silly question but what does DLS stand for? I know what it means, but I don't know what the acronym is. I've been thinking :denied law school. Is that right?
"Decision Letter Sent."

I'm guessing the reason why people view this as a rejection is because an acceptance would be accompanied my a phone call?
Yep, everyone who gets in will have their DLS status preceded by an acceptance call or email.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:42 pm

jrose5 wrote:
"Decision Letter Sent."

I like denied law school better. I'm going to think of it this way:

Denied: Law School!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GotYourselfAStewGoin

New

Post by GotYourselfAStewGoin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:13 am

I think it should be:
Denied, (but I can't complain because we are all basically borderline applicants and I still) Love Stanford.

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:35 am

Hey-O wrote:
jrose5 wrote:
"Decision Letter Sent."

I like denied law school better. I'm going to think of it this way:

Denied: Law School!

Haha, totally

derowland986

New

Post by derowland986 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:35 pm

Thought it was fitting-good luck to everyone in the next few weeks:

"The Waiting Place…for people just waiting.

Waiting for a train to go or a bus to come, or a plane to go or the mail to come, or the rain to go or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow or waiting around for a Yes or No or waiting for their hair to grow. Everyone is just waiting.

Waiting for the fish to bite or waiting for wind to fly a kite or waiting around for Friday night or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake or a pot to boil, or a Better Break or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants or a wig with curls, or Another Chance. Everyone is just waiting.

No! That’s not for you!
Somehow you’ll escape all that waiting and staying. You’ll find the bright places where Boom Bands are playing. With banner flip-flapping, once more you’ll ride high! Ready for anything under the sky. Ready because you’re that kind of a guy!
-Dr. Seuss

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:57 pm

Good Morning Dean Deal. :D And good morning to all my fellow TLSers who are waiting.... :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”