Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eskimogirl

New

Re: !

Post by eskimogirl » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:01 pm

mrmangs wrote:
I think eskimogirl is a URM and she got in last week, if I remember correctly. She's not on LSN though.

ETA: That said, even if you have great numbers, I would just be patient with Stanford. Seems like they take their sweet time and are well worth the wait.
yess, i am an URM and i got the call tuesday. and i was on lsn, but decided to switch my profile to hidden until the end of my cycle.

also, agreed, dean deal is really friendly. and the call lasted a relatively long time considering how many she probably had to make/how much she had to do that day.

mrmangs

Silver

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Post by mrmangs » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:04 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/forthefunofit

LOVE that person :) Gives me Hope.

Also, submitted for review tooodaayyy :D!!! So excited!!

Just got my grades, but you have to request grades in person at my school. Do you think I'll have time to send them my grades if I can't get the grades to Stanford until the first week of January?
Do you mean have time before they make a decision? Then, yes, you will have plenty of time. SLS is known for being incredibly deliberate with their process. (Read: you won't hear for months anyway, so you might as well send them.) Also, I believe if you upload to LSAC, they send the update to the school.

ETA: So, I did not send a "Why Stanford?" essay at the beginning of the process. Do you think it might be appropriate to send one, even though it is still early in the cycle, comparatively? Or maybe in LOCI form? (I know it seems especially early for a LOCI.) I just feel like I should maybe communicate a bit more effectively that Stanford is my #1 and, if admitted, I WILL be there in the fall.
I can't see why writing more would hurt anyone, unless he/she is terrible at writing. Assuming you do a decent job, it can only help.

That said, for a school like Stanford, while making clear your commitment is nice, I don't know how far it would go (they know they are amazing, but I suppose if you have the profile for H and Y then it could help you out). In any case, I would try to sell yourself as much as possible in any further essays (i.e., don't just talk about how great Stanford is).

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:11 pm

mrmangs wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:

Just got my grades, but you have to request grades in person at my school. Do you think I'll have time to send them my grades if I can't get the grades to Stanford until the first week of January?
Do you mean have time before they make a decision? Then, yes, you will have plenty of time. SLS is known for being incredibly deliberate with their process. (Read: you won't hear for months anyway, so you might as well send them.) Also, I believe if you upload to LSAC, they send the update to the school.

ETA: So, I did not send a "Why Stanford?" essay at the beginning of the process. Do you think it might be appropriate to send one, even though it is still early in the cycle, comparatively? Or maybe in LOCI form? (I know it seems especially early for a LOCI.) I just feel like I should maybe communicate a bit more effectively that Stanford is my #1 and, if admitted, I WILL be there in the fall.
I can't see why writing more would hurt anyone, unless he/she is terrible at writing. Assuming you do a decent job, it can only help.

That said, for a school like Stanford, while making clear your commitment is nice, I don't know how far it would go (they know they are amazing, but I suppose if you have the profile for H and Y then it could help you out). In any case, I would try to sell yourself as much as possible in any further essays (i.e., don't just talk about how great Stanford is).
Writing is definitely my strong suit. I was just reading over last year's Stanford thread, and it seemed like people mentioned saying this seemed like it helped. Ie, Dean Deal mentioned it to people when she called them for the admit. The problem is, not much has really changed for me since submitting my app, so I don't want to just add a bunch of fluff to my app. Yet, at the same time, I thought maybe mentioning this might be the smallest perceptible boost.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:11 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:

upload? We don't have electronic official UG transcripts at my school, only unofficial. So I have to be on campus at the registrars office to get one.
I know they wont send me an answer for a long time, I just wanted to make sure they won't have already made a decision on my app, since I already have my grades now.
They improve my GPA by .03, but that's not as much as I expected. That is still helpful right? It won't be bad to demonstrate that I didn't get straight As this term right?

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:13 pm

cardinals1989 wrote: Writing is definitely my strong suit. I was just reading over last year's Stanford thread, and it seemed like people mentioned saying this seemed like it helped. Ie, Dean Deal mentioned it to people when she called them for the admit. The problem is, not much has really changed for me since submitting my app, so I don't want to just add a bunch of fluff to my app. Yet, at the same time, I thought maybe mentioning this might be the smallest perceptible boost.
The rumor is that it Stanford really places an emphasis on writing that statement.
When I spoke to Dean Deal she mentioned that it was important to her to try to figure out how you will fit into the Stanford class, and that she focuses on figuring out what you will add and how you will fit in.
That sounds like a Why Stanford essay would help with that.
I'm not sure though. Maybe none of us are.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:14 pm

Update LSAC, it will update SLS for you. Won't hurt, can only help. I am updating my grad school transcript next week.

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:17 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:Writing is definitely my strong suit. I was just reading over last year's Stanford thread, and it seemed like people mentioned saying this seemed like it helped. Ie, Dean Deal mentioned it to people when she called them for the admit. The problem is, not much has really changed for me since submitting my app, so I don't want to just add a bunch of fluff to my app. Yet, at the same time, I thought maybe mentioning this might be the smallest perceptible boost.
Can you link the relevant starting point of this discussion from last year's thread? TYIA!

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:19 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:

upload? We don't have electronic official UG transcripts at my school, only unofficial. So I have to be on campus at the registrars office to get one.
I know they wont send me an answer for a long time, I just wanted to make sure they won't have already made a decision on my app, since I already have my grades now.
They improve my GPA by .03, but that's not as much as I expected. That is still helpful right? It won't be bad to demonstrate that I didn't get straight As this term right?
Oh, sorry, what I meant is that you send the transcript like you did the old one to LSAC, and they will update your file and send the update to schools that you applied to. I haven't done this, so I can't confirm the exact process, but this is the gist I received from other threads.

As far as the .03, I don't think it will make THAT much of a difference, especially for Stanford, since they do not care as much about numbers as you as a person. However, it certainly wouldn't hurt-maybe you took a course Dean Deal is partial to? :lol: :lol:

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:20 pm

mrmangs wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:Writing is definitely my strong suit. I was just reading over last year's Stanford thread, and it seemed like people mentioned saying this seemed like it helped. Ie, Dean Deal mentioned it to people when she called them for the admit. The problem is, not much has really changed for me since submitting my app, so I don't want to just add a bunch of fluff to my app. Yet, at the same time, I thought maybe mentioning this might be the smallest perceptible boost.
Can you link the relevant starting point of this discussion from last year's thread? TYIA!
So are there going to be 10 "why stanford" updates in their office tomorrow?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:21 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
That would be silly. Good writing takes time.

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:21 pm

mrmangs wrote:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=1600 and the following pages. Also, at some point earlier in that thread crackberry, when they got in, mentioned that they essentially had the statement in their PS.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:22 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
I almost worry that my Why Stanford essay was too much. I was pretty clear that I felt an emotional attachment to Stanford haha
I should have signed it

<3
S0ph1e

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:23 pm

cardinals1989 wrote: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=1600 and the following pages. Also, at some point earlier in that thread crackberry, when they got in, mentioned that they essentially had the statement in their PS.
Oh, see, that's what I did. I feel like deluging them with more writing at this point is just going to make me seem whiny -- I've already whined a lot in my PS after all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:24 pm

mrmangs wrote:
I'm not doing it. I already wrote a bit about that in my PS and I don't think I have anything else substantive to add.

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
I'm not doing it. I already wrote a bit about that in my PS and I don't think I have anything else substantive to add.
Yeah, unfortunately I did not do that in my PS, which in hindsight may have been a bad idea. However, I did have two targeted LORs. I think I am just bored and anxious at this point, which is causing me to think of new things to do with my app. It is kind of like when you are bored and eat, haha.

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat. I did address it in my PS, and since I'm out of UG, it's not like I have updated grades or anything huge to add to my application. But I will read the thread and see what the consensus was there, and think for a while to see if I can come up with anything compelling. I wouldn't want to drown them in more words if the words aren't going to do anything for me.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:29 pm

mrmangs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat. I did address it in my PS, and since I'm out of UG, it's not like I have updated grades or anything huge to add to my application. But I will read the thread and see what the consensus was there, and think for a while to see if I can come up with anything compelling. I wouldn't want to drown them in more words if the words aren't going to do anything for me.
I actually contacted a post-doc fellow at SLS on Internet privacy issues because I came across his quote in the Chronicle while I was writing a white paper for a potential contract at work. It really gave me the sense that SLS is at the forefront of what I want to learn/practice in. This was after submission though. Maybe I should write about that? Along with my grad grades update?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:25 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
I actually contacted a post-doc fellow at SLS on Internet privacy issues because I came across his quote in the Chronicle while I was writing a white paper for a potential contract at work. It really gave me the sense that SLS is at the forefront of what I want to learn/practice in. This was after submission though. Maybe I should write about that? Along with my grad grades update?
This actually sounds quite compelling to me. Deal has said she likes to hear about things along these lines, I think. And since you have other reasons to write as well, the numbers update seems slightly less shameless. :P

PS-Why is Dean Deal such a tease. Only 2 TLSers got a call...at the VERY BEGINNING of the day. Thanks for another stress-filled, nonproductive day right before my last final.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:30 pm

cardinals1989 wrote: This actually sounds quite compelling to me. Deal has said she likes to hear about things along these lines, I think. And since you have other reasons to write as well, the numbers update seems slightly less shameless. :P

PS-Why is Dean Deal such a tease. Only 2 TLSers got a call...at the VERY BEGINNING of the day. Thanks for another stress-filled, nonproductive day right before my last final.
Thanks, I will consider writing a few lines about it over the break waiting for the transcript to update.

I am actually quite busy at work these few weeks so it helps with the anxiousness.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
Yea they wont care. You update them on contacting someone at their school? I interviewed with two of their professors and both of them told me they have NO control over admissions. One of them even told me he had a Stan UG work for him for two years as a research assistant after graduating and he wrote him a ridiculously good recommendation, but they ended up not taking him anyways b.c. his application was right on the edge of dropping SLS's average LSAT down a point.

src42

Bronze

Post by src42 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:I am actually quite busy at work these few weeks so it helps with the anxiousness.
Same here, though I still find plenty of time to stalk TLS. :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pennyloafer17

New

Post by pennyloafer17 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:34 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:

Ba too stressful. I'm just sitting here staring sadly at my phone...

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:35 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
Yea they wont care. You update them on contacting someone at their school? I interviewed with two of their professors and both of them told me they have NO control over admissions. One of them even told me he had a Stan UG work for him for two years as a research assistant after graduating and he wrote him a ridiculously good recommendation, but they ended up not taking him anyways b.c. his application was right on the edge of dropping SLS's average LSAT down a point.
I don't think the whole point of the update is that he contacted someone. This just leads into the fact that Stanford is at the cutting edge of his field, which is a legitimate and important thing for them to know.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:40 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:
I don't think the whole point of the update is that he contacted someone. This just leads into the fact that Stanford is at the cutting edge of his field, which is a legitimate and important thing for them to know.
Yes I was searching for an authoritative opinion on the particular subject (it's 2010 cutting edge new) and the only credible reference from a law point of view was of Stanford origin. That's why I want to study at Stanford - it seem to offer the best education in a new legal frontier. Everyone else is not quite caught up yet.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:29 pm

Woke up to a missed call. Not from SLS :cry:.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”