Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cardinals1989

Silver

Re: Stanford Law School 2011 Applicants (Pics)

Post by cardinals1989 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:27 pm

Knock wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Most things school related in Philly are closed today because it is a huge day of service for us. I am slightly ashamed I had to come to work instead of out volunteering.
I don't have today off, but upon realizing most schools were closed I at first thought it would mean a day's break from checking status checkers and TLS every 10 minutes. Then I realized I was only kidding myself. What else am I really going to do at work?
Give yourself a day off :).
BLASPHEMY.

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:55 pm

Knock wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Most things school related in Philly are closed today because it is a huge day of service for us. I am slightly ashamed I had to come to work instead of out volunteering.
I don't have today off, but upon realizing most schools were closed I at first thought it would mean a day's break from checking status checkers and TLS every 10 minutes. Then I realized I was only kidding myself. What else am I really going to do at work?
Give yourself a day off :).
The TLS Dean Signal rests for no man (or national holiday).

Casey2889

Bronze

Post by Casey2889 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:15 pm

hey guys, i went complete 1/7/11 when my December LSAT came in....when do most late-ish applicants get a decision? do you think it's unreasonable to expect a decision before 3/13?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:17 pm

Casey2889 wrote:hey guys, i went complete 1/7/11 when my December LSAT came in....when do most late-ish applicants get a decision? do you think it's unreasonable to expect a decision before 3/13?
Not related but when did Columbia become top Ivy? :P

dc1s

New

Post by dc1s » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:19 pm

Casey2889 wrote:hey guys, i went complete 1/7/11 when my December LSAT came in....when do most late-ish applicants get a decision? do you think it's unreasonable to expect a decision before 3/13?
I know of early apps (early November) that did not receive a decision (acceptance) until late April. I do not think it is unreasonable to expect a decision before 3/13, but do not be shocked (or overly worried) if you do not receive one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Casey2889

Bronze

Post by Casey2889 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:37 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Not related but when did Columbia become top Ivy? :P
haha...you laugh now, but just wait. (warning: shameless defense of UG forthcoming)

we've spent 40+ years recovering from a combination of poor administrative decisions that alienated an earlier generation of deep-pocketed alums (see: 1968 protests) and graduates (see: atrocious endowment growth 1970-1990) on top of NYC going to hell in the early 1970s (which sent a decade of top tier applicants choosing princeton over us). we were once considered on par with H and Y and we're moving up again (#4 USNWR, above stanford). our admit rate will be ~6.5% this year, even lower if you exclude the engineering school. anyways, from what i've heard from visiting admissions officers and at OCI, employers/prof schools look at Columbia as an elite school on par with "HYP"....that said, point taken.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:22 am

wow...before i found this website i had no idea there was a population of ppl who distinguished one from one another. for me there was just three leagues. Great schools, mediocre schools, and online schools. but what do you know, there is actually a difference in attending princeton and attending columbia. those one rank spots make a huge difference eh?

actually i will concede schools like cornell and brown get a bad rep as wannabe elite schools.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:12 pm

This can't be on the second page! Bump.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Knock wrote:This can't be on the second page! Bump.
That's cuz everyone bailed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Well, now we see how you got so many pages, knock.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:15 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Well, now we see how you got so many pages, knock.
Ya caught me.

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:17 pm

r6_philly wrote:
That's cuz everyone bailed.
Pretenders!!!

aesis

Bronze

Post by aesis » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:23 pm

edit: i guess this question is better suited to admissions forum

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:30 pm

Sprry if this has already been asked, but does anybody know Stanford's usual decision "path" on its status checker? Is it like Gtown where some people (myself included) are accepted without ever going past complete, or is do the actively keep you informed?

FWIW, I am sitting at:

Your file has been submitted for review. (12/xx/2010)

Thank you!

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:31 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:Sprry if this has already been asked, but does anybody know Stanford's usual decision "path" on its status checker? Is it like Gtown where some people (myself included) are accepted without ever going past complete, or is do the actively keep you informed?

FWIW, I am sitting at:

Thank you!
You're at the final step from what I have heard. Now you either get in or you don't. They'll call you.

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:57 pm

CastleRock wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:Sprry if this has already been asked, but does anybody know Stanford's usual decision "path" on its status checker? Is it like Gtown where some people (myself included) are accepted without ever going past complete, or is do the actively keep you informed?

FWIW, I am sitting at:

Thank you!
You're at the final step from what I have heard. Now you either get in or you don't. They'll call you.
Thank you. Anybody else?

And any thought on still being S4R from early December?

Thanks!

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:59 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

FWIW, I am sitting at:

Thank you!
Thank you. Anybody else?

Thanks!
SLS does most of their admitting towards the end of the cycle, so not getting in at this point means you're not an autoadmit, but it doesn't mean you are SOL.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:03 pm

CastleRock wrote:
SLS does most of their admitting towards the end of the cycle, so not getting in at this point means you're not an autoadmit, but it doesn't mean you are SOL.
I can't thank you enough for this.

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:18 pm

Thanks!

NikaneOkie

Bronze

Post by NikaneOkie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:25 pm

Should I tell them before admissions that I'm doing TFA, if I decide for sure in the next few days that's what I'm doing?
Will it...

Help?
Hurt?
be the right thing to do, but hurt?

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:31 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:Should I tell them before admissions that I'm doing TFA, if I decide for sure in the next few days that's what I'm doing?
Will it...

Help?
Hurt?
be the right thing to do, but hurt?
I feel like the benefit from having TFA on your resume comes from the experience aka you might have a stronger application if you apply the fall before you really enter law school? you might as well include it, but it might lead to a waitlist because they know you won't be joining the class this fall... just my $.02

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:41 pm

Also "SR 12/xx/10" here. It's certainly nice to hear that they do most of their accepting towards later dates, very comforting.

Out of curiosity, how many people here submitted targeted LOR's? If so, how many? I get the feeling that they are going to play a huge deal for borderline candidates. I'm thinking of sending another one in to see if it can tip the scales in my favor.

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:50 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Also "SR 12/xx/10" here. It's certainly nice to hear that they do most of their accepting towards later dates, very comforting.

Out of curiosity, how many people here submitted targeted LOR's? If so, how many? I get the feeling that they are going to play a huge deal for borderline candidates. I'm thinking of sending another one in to see if it can tip the scales in my favor.
Just to echo everyone else, the Submitted for Review is the last thing before decision. Acceptances are by phone call, and waitlists/denies are by snail mail only, in a smaller white envelope. It is also credited that submitted dates with long review periods are not necessarily bad.

I submitted two targeted LORs. I also submitted some other non-targeted ones.

ETA: Just in case anyone was curious, in last year's thread there were several acceptances today and Friday this week last year. Actually a fairly large amount (around 6 or 7) for Stanford. Also, a week from this Friday is when the first snail mailed rejection was received.

HopefulFish

Bronze

Post by HopefulFish » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:45 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Also "SR 12/xx/10" here. It's certainly nice to hear that they do most of their accepting towards later dates, very comforting.

Just to echo everyone else, the Submitted for Review is the last thing before decision. Acceptances are by phone call, and waitlists/denies are by snail mail only, in a smaller white envelope. It is also credited that submitted dates with long review periods are not necessarily bad.

I submitted two targeted LORs. I also submitted some other non-targeted ones.

ETA: Just in case anyone was curious, in last year's thread there were several acceptances today and Friday this week last year. Actually a fairly large amount (around 6 or 7) for Stanford. Also, a week from this Friday is when the first snail mailed rejection was received.
I'll expect a nice snail mail rejection next Friday then. :(

hjag

New

Post by hjag » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:07 pm

CastleRock wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

FWIW, I am sitting at:

Thank you!
Thank you. Anybody else?

Thanks!
Will people who applied in Jan. still be penalized then? I know YLS is only semi-rolling, so late applicants don't tend to be penalized much if at all. Are you implying that this is similar for SLS admissions?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”