Marquette 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
coolgreen44

Re: Marquette 2011 Applicants

Postby coolgreen44 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:49 pm

Yes, sir. I wish its rank would rise :wink:

Have you tried contacting them for some money? I got some and my numbers are lower than yours. And I only applied a few weeks before you... I think its worth a shot...

I did contact them, they sent me a long email that said they could not offer me a scholarship because all the funds had been used up. Said I should rely on loans or family resources if I have any. I was hoping they would offer something when I asked but I got nothing. I contacted Syracuse for the same reason and they went from 0 to 20k a year. If only Marquette had done the same :x

EstboundNDwn

Postby EstboundNDwn » Tue May 10, 2011 5:22 pm

coolgreen44 wrote:Yes, sir. I wish its rank would rise :wink:

Have you tried contacting them for some money? I got some and my numbers are lower than yours. And I only applied a few weeks before you... I think its worth a shot...

I did contact them, they sent me a long email that said they could not offer me a scholarship because all the funds had been used up. Said I should rely on loans or family resources if I have any. I was hoping they would offer something when I asked but I got nothing. I contacted Syracuse for the same reason and they went from 0 to 20k a year. If only Marquette had done the same :x

Well, for what it's worth, my friend loved UST. Minneapolis is also a really cool place to live.

coolgreen44

Postby coolgreen44 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:28 pm

Was he able to find a quality job upon leaving?

EstboundNDwn

Postby EstboundNDwn » Tue May 10, 2011 5:45 pm

coolgreen44 wrote:Was he able to find a quality job upon leaving?

She had two or three offers at graduation, but she made the stupid decision to move back home (long story). However, I think what you can take away is that once you start externing/interning or working part-time, you'll put yourself in a good situation to network. That's what she did and it would have worked out for her had she not moved to another state right after graduation.

coolgreen44

Postby coolgreen44 » Fri May 13, 2011 11:01 pm

I just withdrew my application from Marquette. Good luck to all of you on the wait list. :)

estrangedstudent

Postby estrangedstudent » Sat May 14, 2011 11:33 am

Is there any hope for people on the wait list still? Is there a time table for decisions for people on the wait list?

THB

Postby THB » Sat May 14, 2011 6:14 pm

coolgreen44 wrote:Yes, sir. I wish its rank would rise :wink:

Yea, I called their Dean of Admissions and they told me the same thing. I'm not sure how they expect their rankings to rise when they offer far less money than their current competitors.

EstboundNDwn

Postby EstboundNDwn » Tue May 17, 2011 5:46 pm

THB wrote:Yea, I called their Dean of Admissions and they told me the same thing. I'm not sure how they expect their rankings to rise when they offer far less money than their current competitors.

It seems they aren't as concerned with their rankings as other school. They have their niche and applicants know it.

kartal

Postby kartal » Tue May 17, 2011 10:19 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
THB wrote:Yea, I called their Dean of Admissions and they told me the same thing. I'm not sure how they expect their rankings to rise when they offer far less money than their current competitors.

It seems they aren't as concerned with their rankings as other school. They have their niche and applicants know it.

They honestly don't care. They cater to the Wisconsin market with its diploma privilige and there are only two schools in Wisconsin. They are not concerned to be a national, not even a regional school at all.

estrangedstudent

Postby estrangedstudent » Wed May 18, 2011 10:52 am

Any WL news or advice? Is there a date when accepted students have to make a commitment that would amount to movement in the WL?

expressway

Postby expressway » Wed May 18, 2011 1:17 pm

estrangedstudent wrote:Any WL news or advice? Is there a date when accepted students have to make a commitment that would amount to movement in the WL?

The second seat deposit is due June 1st, so that might spark some movement when people don't come through.

EstboundNDwn

Postby EstboundNDwn » Tue May 31, 2011 1:54 pm

Asked to restate my desire to stay on the waitlist.

Judging by the previous experiences of other people, this seems more like a formality.

Scottie88

Postby Scottie88 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:30 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:Asked to restate my desire to stay on the waitlist.

Judging by the previous experiences of other people, this seems more like a formality.

This is the second email ive gotten asking me to reconfirm my desire to stay on the waitlist this cycle. Im assuming it is because their second seat deposit is due tomorrow (june 1st). Last cycle I believe I got this message 3 times with no positive outcome. Not getting my hopes up!

Postby 8675309 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:34 pm

Forgot to restate my desire to remain on the waitlist, but got a phone call the other day to ask. So I decided to remain and got admitted today via e-mail!

EstboundNDwn

Postby EstboundNDwn » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:08 pm

8675309 wrote:Forgot to restate my desire to remain on the waitlist, but got a phone call the other day to ask. So I decided to remain and got admitted today via e-mail!

Wow. Congrats! That's great news.

Postby 8675309 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:43 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
8675309 wrote:Forgot to restate my desire to remain on the waitlist, but got a phone call the other day to ask. So I decided to remain and got admitted today via e-mail!

Wow. Congrats! That's great news.

Yeah! I was shocked! I pretty much cancelled law school out of my plans for next year and stayed on the waitlist for the hell of it. I really didn't expect to get in. I actually just set a date for my wedding next May so now I am not quite what sure to do.

Greg2011

Postby Greg2011 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:36 am

8675309 wrote:Yeah! I was shocked! I pretty much cancelled law school out of my plans for next year and stayed on the waitlist for the hell of it. I really didn't expect to get in. I actually just set a date for my wedding next May so now I am not quite what sure to do.

Push the wedding off til the summer, send in that deposit, and come to law school!

Don't forget to join the Class of 2014 Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marquette ... 4868382300

Postby 8675309 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:59 pm

I don't know if anyone else received the same letter after being admitted off the wait list, but they sent me an additional letter with my acceptance saying that they are impressed by my personal statement?

Postby 8675309 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:29 am

FYI I did not send in a LOCI

Greg2011

Postby Greg2011 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:47 am

8675309 wrote:I don't know if anyone else received the same letter after being admitted off the wait list, but they sent me an additional letter with my acceptance saying that they are impressed by my personal statement?

I was admitted a while back, but my admit latter included the praise for my writing skills. Not everyone gets that letter - congrats!

Postby 8675309 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:35 pm

I'm still trying to decide if I want to pay sticker for Marquette. Would it hurt me next cycle to turn this down, retake the LSAT, apply early and pray to god for a scholly?

EstboundNDwn

Postby EstboundNDwn » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:30 am

8675309 wrote:I'm still trying to decide if I want to pay sticker for Marquette. Would it hurt me next cycle to turn this down, retake the LSAT, apply early and pray to god for a scholly?

Ha, sticker shock always sucks. With your numbers, you're probably going to get in again. But if you're planning on taking the LSAT again, look at the other profiles on LSN; it looks like a handful of people with higher LSATs got more money, so that's something to consider.

Are you too old to wait, or do you just want to start school at this point because you don't want to sit around another year?

Postby 8675309 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:57 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
8675309 wrote:I'm still trying to decide if I want to pay sticker for Marquette. Would it hurt me next cycle to turn this down, retake the LSAT, apply early and pray to god for a scholly?

Ha, sticker shock always sucks. With your numbers, you're probably going to get in again. But if you're planning on taking the LSAT again, look at the other profiles on LSN; it looks like a handful of people with higher LSATs got more money, so that's something to consider.

Are you too old to wait, or do you just want to start school at this point because you don't want to sit around another year?

Oh I'm not too old to wait. I just graduated with a B.A. last month and I'm 22. It's just the waiting around thing. But to be honest, with the economy the way it is and the uncertainty with the job market, I'm not sure I want to pay sticker for any law school at the moment. I'd be better off financially trying to find a job and saving some money now and retaking the LSAT in hopes of a scholarship and attending a year or two later than anything. I'm just very impatient.

EstboundNDwn

Postby EstboundNDwn » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:58 am

8675309 wrote:
EstboundNDwn wrote:

Oh I'm not too old to wait. I just graduated with a B.A. last month and I'm 22. It's just the waiting around thing. But to be honest, with the economy the way it is and the uncertainty with the job market, I'm not sure I want to pay sticker for any law school at the moment. I'd be better off financially trying to find a job and saving some money now and retaking the LSAT in hopes of a scholarship and attending a year or two later than anything. I'm just very impatient.

So, what's the benefit of enrolling this year instead of next?

Can you get a law firm job or a legal assistant position during your year off while you re-apply?

Postby 8675309 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:28 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
8675309 wrote:
EstboundNDwn wrote:

So, what's the benefit of enrolling this year instead of next?

Can you get a law firm job or a legal assistant position during your year off while you re-apply?

The only benefit I can think of is that I would be out a year sooner. I'm looking into jobs in the legal market to see if I can get in one. If not I have a menial retail job right now that I can stay in until I find another job. I just think studying for 3 months and kicking ass in October on the LSAT would be worth a shot. I mean hell, if it gets me a small scholly for MU or gets me into say Madison, I'd be much better financially. I've seen a lot of people mess up their lives with enormous student loan debt and for some reason it's just hitting me now that this may very well be financial suicide.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”