Marquette 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

New

Re: Marquette 2011 Applicants

Post by 8675309 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:28 am

irishvt14 wrote:
8675309 wrote:
coolgreen44 wrote:I sent mine in the same day (that is 6 days right?). I don't think you have any more reason to worry then me. How did you do on the LSAT?
155. 3.4. President of a student org, secretary of another, managerial position at a bike store, wrote my P.S. about getting attacked by a dog.
You wrote your PS about getting attacked by a dog?
Yeah and how it impacted my life. It was a pretty significant experience in my life that made me change a lot.

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:50 am

Iceman389 wrote:FWIW I got an e-mail saying I was accepted 10 days after I received the e-mail that I went complete
Even if I get rejected, I'd love to get a response 10 days after I went complete (actually, that'd be today!). The waiting and thinking about my options is killing me.

It seems like 158+ is the magic number, so I'm hoping they can look past my 156, and are swayed to accept me based on my LORs, WE, and other softs.

New

Post by 8675309 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:20 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
Iceman389 wrote:FWIW I got an e-mail saying I was accepted 10 days after I received the e-mail that I went complete
Even if I get rejected, I'd love to get a response 10 days after I went complete (actually, that'd be today!). The waiting and thinking about my options is killing me.

It seems like 158+ is the magic number, so I'm hoping they can look past my 156, and are swayed to accept me based on my LORs, WE, and other softs.
I think the magic number is more 157. If you have a GPA above their median or at, I think your shot is pretty good. I mean I applied with a 155, so I'm hoping thats good enough...

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:27 pm

8675309 wrote:
I think the magic number is more 157. If you have a GPA above their median or at, I think your shot is pretty good. I mean I applied with a 155, so I'm hoping thats good enough...
Ha, you know I always forget the GPA even plays a factor. I think over the whole process I've gotten LSAT-centric. I would feel more confident had I applied much earlier in the cycle. My LSAT and GPA are just below both the medians, but I have some unique post-UG experience.

I really want Marquette, and after I visited the school I'm starting to doubt whether I should attend law school in the fall, or if I should just take (another) year off in order to apply in October.

coolgreen44

New

Post by coolgreen44 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:34 pm

8675309 wrote:
I would feel more confident had I applied much earlier in the cycle. My LSAT and GPA are just below both the medians, but I have some unique post-UG experience.
I hope 157 is the magic number. Then I could stop worrying.

And I know how you feel EstboundNDwn. I would feel so much more confident if I had applied early.

http://www.uiowa.edu/~030116/prelaw/lawschools09.htm I don't know if you guys have seen that, or if I am understanding what it means correctly, but it seems like they value LSAT a lot more then GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:13 pm

coolgreen44 wrote:
8675309 wrote: http://www.uiowa.edu/~030116/prelaw/lawschools09.htm I don't know if you guys have seen that, or if I am understanding what it means correctly, but it seems like they value LSAT a lot more then GPA.
It's been my understanding that it's about a 70% LSAT/30% GPA split. No one has this set in stone, but nearly everything I've read or heard from prep courses has implied that this is probably the most realistic breakdown.

New

Post by 8675309 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:46 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
coolgreen44 wrote:
8675309 wrote: http://www.uiowa.edu/~030116/prelaw/lawschools09.htm I don't know if you guys have seen that, or if I am understanding what it means correctly, but it seems like they value LSAT a lot more then GPA.
It's been my understanding that it's about a 70% LSAT/30% GPA split. No one has this set in stone, but nearly everything I've read or heard from prep courses has implied that this is probably the most realistic breakdown.
What you said. I've taken my numbers and plugged it into the formula to compare with other admitted applicants and I fall in the range of the lower numbers that were admitted, so I'm optimistic. In other news, I recieved the complete and in review e-mail. Duh duh duhhhh.

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:23 pm

8675309 wrote:What you said. I've taken my numbers and plugged it into the formula to compare with other admitted applicants and I fall in the range of the lower numbers that were admitted, so I'm optimistic. In other news, I recieved the complete and in review e-mail. Duh duh duhhhh.
What formula?

New

Post by 8675309 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:32 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
8675309 wrote:What you said. I've taken my numbers and plugged it into the formula to compare with other admitted applicants and I fall in the range of the lower numbers that were admitted, so I'm optimistic. In other news, I recieved the complete and in review e-mail. Duh duh duhhhh.
What formula?
There's an admission index formula for schools on the LSAC website. If you log into your LSAC account and go to Apply > Credentials > Transcripts, theres a link on that page. They don't tell you what the numbers mean, but I went to Law School Numbers and plugged some admitted apps in to see where I was in the mix.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:48 pm

8675309 wrote:
EstboundNDwn wrote:
What formula?
There's an admission index formula for schools on the LSAC website. If you log into your LSAC account and go to Apply > Credentials > Transcripts, theres a link on that page. They don't tell you what the numbers mean, but I went to Law School Numbers and plugged some admitted apps in to see where I was in the mix.
Ah, nice. I've pretty much only been using LSN and LSP for most of my calcs.

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:20 am

8675309 wrote:In other news, I recieved the complete and in review e-mail. Duh duh duhhhh.
By the way, good luck!

Scottie88

Bronze

Post by Scottie88 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:27 am

Email asking to confirm wanting to remain on the waitlist. Responded the second I got it! From my experience on the wait list last cycle..this is the first of many of these emails. Hoping it turns out differently this year.

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:51 am

Scottie88 wrote:Email asking to confirm wanting to remain on the waitlist. Responded the second I got it! From my experience on the wait list last cycle..this is the first of many of these emails. Hoping it turns out differently this year.
I've been reading a lot of your older posts. I hope you get some positive news this cycle. I was in a similar situation as you are when I was trying to decide whether I should apply to some schools under the part-time program.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Scottie88

Bronze

Post by Scottie88 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:29 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
Scottie88 wrote:Email asking to confirm wanting to remain on the waitlist. Responded the second I got it! From my experience on the wait list last cycle..this is the first of many of these emails. Hoping it turns out differently this year.
I've been reading a lot of your older posts. I hope you get some positive news this cycle. I was in a similar situation as you are when I was trying to decide whether I should apply to some schools under the part-time program.
Thanks..Yea it has been really hard, applied last cycle and did not get in to the schools I wanted to attend, so I re-took the LSAT and re-applied to them part time..which works out better for me now as I am working full time. I hope you get in to marquette! It is such a great school. :)

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:36 pm

Scottie88 wrote:
EstboundNDwn wrote:
Thanks..Yea it has been really hard, applied last cycle and did not get in to the schools I wanted to attend, so I re-took the LSAT and re-applied to them part time..which works out better for me now as I am working full time. I hope you get in to marquette! It is such a great school. :)

By the way, did you receive your decision by e-mail or letter?

I think it's interesting that it varies.

Scottie88

Bronze

Post by Scottie88 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:45 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
Scottie88 wrote:
EstboundNDwn wrote:

By the way, did you receive your decision by e-mail or letter?

I think it's interesting that it varies.
I got my wait list decision by snail mail.

New

Post by 8675309 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:00 am

The wait is KILLING me. I just need a yes or no, that's it!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BurgerSalad

New

Post by BurgerSalad » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:37 pm

Just withdrew. Hopefully this opens up a spot for someone on the waitlist

Scottie88

Bronze

Post by Scottie88 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:39 pm

BurgerSalad wrote:Just withdrew. Hopefully this opens up a spot for someone on the waitlist
Thanks! Much appreciated. Good Luck! :)

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:41 pm

8675309 wrote:The wait is KILLING me. I just need a yes or no, that's it!
Ha, I know the feeling. I sent my first application out in October and I'm pretty sure I've gone through all the stages of grief at this point. After a while you just have to tell yourself savor it.

"This is a chemical burn. . ."

New

Post by 8675309 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:29 am

EstboundNDwn wrote:
8675309 wrote:The wait is KILLING me. I just need a yes or no, that's it!
Ha, I know the feeling. I sent my first application out in October and I'm pretty sure I've gone through all the stages of grief at this point. After a while you just have to tell yourself savor it.

"This is a chemical burn. . ."
Hahaha. I'm going by the "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger" motto right now. You still haven't heard anything back? I'm hoping you and I receive good news REAL soon!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

giantswin

New

Post by giantswin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:59 am

Just withdrew today...hopefully opening up a spot and some scholarship money for someone on the waitlist. Good luck!

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:23 am

giantswin wrote:Just withdrew today...hopefully opening up a spot and some scholarship money for someone on the waitlist. Good luck!
Thank you, good sir.

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:04 pm

just withdrew as well. $$$ and a spot for you guys. best of luck!

Scottie88

Bronze

Post by Scottie88 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:21 pm

aknecht wrote:just withdrew as well. $$$ and a spot for you guys. best of luck!
giantswin wrote:Just withdrew today...hopefully opening up a spot and some scholarship money for someone on the waitlist. Good luck!
Thank you both!! Good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”