Marquette 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kartal

Re: Marquette 2011 Applicants

Postby kartal » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:13 am

irishvt14 wrote:admitted students weekend! are you coming!? :)

Why do they do this over the weekend? Wouldn't it be better to attend during the week while the school is in session and live. This way you can also sit in a class. I will probably arrange my own customized visit in a week day. I feel it would be much better that way.

kartal

Postby kartal » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:19 am

irishvt14 wrote:where are you visiting from? i need to figure out where to stay. anyone know milwaukee well enough to suggest a hotel?

Pfister Hotel on Wisconsin Ave. in downtown is a nice and elegant one. However, it is slightly pricey.

irishvt14

Postby irishvt14 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:39 am

Apparently upwards of 50 (sometimes 100) current students attend the event on Saturday to give us a chance to really talk to them. But I agree about wanting to go to a class...perhaps I will go Thursday and sit in on a class Friday? I was thinking about staying at the Ambassador Hotel which is right near Marquette. Anyone heard of it? And is anyone else flying in?

jlas000

Postby jlas000 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:20 pm

I live in Milwaukee now, the Ambasador is nice, but I'd book at the Hilton if I were you. Its nice IMO and the area east of campus can get a little shady.

legal10101

Postby legal10101 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Rejected.... GL all!

dgymrat44

Postby dgymrat44 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:36 pm

Just opened a letter giving me a 4K a year scholarship (158, 3.2). I will be attending Marquette next year unless I get off of one of three waitlists (DePaul, Loyola, Chicago-Kent). Anyone looking for a roommate? I want to find a guy to split a 2 bedroom place in downtown Milwaukee with me

kartal

Postby kartal » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:28 pm

jlas000 wrote:I live in Milwaukee now, the Ambasador is nice, but I'd book at the Hilton if I were you. Its nice IMO and the area east of campus can get a little shady.

I also looked at the Ambassador Inn. Their rates are reasonable. Is this hotel in the shady area? You said east of the campus, but Ambassador is located in the west side of the campus. Please clarify.

CashR

Postby CashR » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:38 pm

kartal wrote:
jlas000 wrote:I live in Milwaukee now, the Ambasador is nice, but I'd book at the Hilton if I were you. Its nice IMO and the area east of campus can get a little shady.

I also looked at the Ambassador Inn. Their rates are reasonable. Is this hotel in the shady area? You said east of the campus, but Ambassador is located in the west side of the campus. Please clarify.

I lived in Milwaukee for a few years. They meant the west side of campus is shady. I would not recommend staying at the Ambassador. The Hilton would be within walking distance to the law school if the weather is nice.

kartal

Postby kartal » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:55 pm

CashR wrote:
kartal wrote:

I lived in Milwaukee for a few years. They meant the west side of campus is shady. I would not recommend staying at the Ambassador. The Hilton would be within walking distance to the law school if the weather is nice.

Thanks for the response. That is good to know.

irishvt14

Postby irishvt14 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:29 am

kartal wrote:

I was talking about the Ambassador HOTEL, not the Inn. The hotel is a little more expensive...are they in the same area? The hotel is .5 miles from Marquette but I have zero concept of Milwaukee.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:39 am

Congrats to all those admitted!

I moved from Milwaukee to Albuquerque a year and a half ago, but would be happy to answer any questions about the city. I'm a 0L so I can't speak to the school itself, but I lived in SE WI for 26 years. It's a great city in a great state.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:04 am

Hey all. For all you folks who received scholarships, can you check your online student center to see if the award is there? I have not received info about scholarships, and I was accepted in mid December. I live in the northeast though. It might be coming here shortly. Thanks!

dgymrat44

Postby dgymrat44 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:04 pm

theavrock wrote:Congrats to all those admitted!

I moved from Milwaukee to Albuquerque a year and a half ago, but would be happy to answer any questions about the city. I'm a 0L so I can't speak to the school itself, but I lived in SE WI for 26 years. It's a great city in a great state.

Is West Allis a decent area to live and commute to the school?

Scottie88

Postby Scottie88 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:52 pm

Anyone hear anything regarding the waitlist?? Im suprised they havnt sent out the 'please confirm if youd wish to remain on the waitlist' email yet. I will be withdrawing from the waitlist after the first seat deposit is due (give or take a few weeks). congrats to all who have been accepted so far!

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:51 pm

dgymrat44 wrote:

Depends on what you are looking for. What sort of neighborhood do you want to live in?

'Stallis' is pretty blue collar and working class. Parts of it can be pretty trashy and parts of it can be ok. I personally would never live in West Allis, but I love walkable areas with lots of bars, restaurants and culture. West Allis is pretty void of that, but its a very quiet part of town. Rent is cheap and the people are nice.

jlas000

Postby jlas000 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:06 pm

dgymrat44 wrote:

I live in West Allis now. It is decent to live in, short drive to school. But if you want lots of stuff to do with in walking distance you'd be better off living closer to campus.

jlas000

Postby jlas000 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:07 pm

kartal wrote:

Ya sorry I meant west side.

dgymrat44

Postby dgymrat44 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:07 pm

jlas000 wrote:
dgymrat44 wrote:

I live in West Allis now. It is decent to live in, short drive to school. But if you want lots of stuff to do with in walking distance you'd be better off living closer to campus.

I think I would prefer to be a little farther away from distractions, especially during my first year. I am seriously considering getting an apartment in West Allis for that reason. How long does it take to drive to and from the law school every day?

goldeneagle

Postby goldeneagle » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:14 pm

marquette undergrad here, also accepted for LS this year... free to answer questions as well.

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:31 pm

theavrock wrote:
dgymrat44 wrote:

Depends on what you are looking for. What sort of neighborhood do you want to live in?

'Stallis' is pretty blue collar and working class. Parts of it can be pretty trashy and parts of it can be ok. I personally would never live in West Allis, but I love walkable areas with lots of bars, restaurants and culture. West Allis is pretty void of that, but its a very quiet part of town. Rent is cheap and the people are nice.

What area of the city would be a walkable area with lots of bars restaurants and close to campus in your opinion?

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:12 am

Iceman389 wrote:
theavrock wrote:
dgymrat44 wrote:

What area of the city would be a walkable area with lots of bars restaurants and close to campus in your opinion?

The lower East side. Anything south of Brady Street between Prospect Ave and Van Buren Ave. The Brady Street neighborhood is awesome. I loved living over there. Lots of great bars and restaurants. The people watching is great. Love love love this area.

You could also live downtown and there is plenty to do down there, but obviously this is more slanted towards business. You could drive from Brady street to Marquette in around 10 min.

A little further north is North Avenue and that would probably only be 15 min to Marquette. Anything north of North Avenue between Oakland and Prospect. This is the area closer to UWM so lots of undergrads, but there is a ton to walk around and do on North Avenue.

There is stuff to do closer to the Marquette campus, but I went to UWM so I am not as familiar with the area, but a lot of my friends who went to Marquette still ended up hanging out with me on the East Side.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:25 am

Anyone on the East Coast get scholarship info? Again, can anyone who got scholarship info log into their CheckMarq accounts to see if it is listed there? Thanks.

-Jake

irishvt14

Postby irishvt14 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:56 am

jaydizzle wrote:Anyone on the East Coast get scholarship info? Again, can anyone who got scholarship info log into their CheckMarq accounts to see if it is listed there? Thanks.

-Jake

I'm East Coast (Vermont) and I got mine last Thursday.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:11 pm

irishvt14 wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:Anyone on the East Coast get scholarship info? Again, can anyone who got scholarship info log into their CheckMarq accounts to see if it is listed there? Thanks.

-Jake

I'm East Coast (Vermont) and I got mine last Thursday.

Awesome. Looks like I got shut out for aid from yet another school.

irishvt14

Postby irishvt14 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:13 pm

I don't necessarily think that's true. I spoke with two people from the school last week who referred to it as the "first round" of scholarship letters. Call them. They are very nice and helpful. I spoke with Stephanie and she was completely honest with me.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”