Yale 2011 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jd20132013

Silver

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Post by jd20132013 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:24 am

calling them now
they don't seem too enthused
*awkwardddddd* :|
EDIT: But they do have the Dean's Certifications so I'm :mrgreen:
Sounded like he was looking for them while I was on hold so maybe this will spark a complete like it did with Stanford

quetzal_bird

Bronze

Post by quetzal_bird » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:12 pm

Hey-O wrote:
suspicious android wrote:Submitted late this evening, I must be one of the last to apply. Now I get to daydream about being a Yalie for a few weeks until my rejection letter comes.
I didn't do it. I should have but I just...didn't have the heart for it. I didn't even have a compelling reason 'Why Yale'.
The time stamp on my application is 11:50 pm

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:40 pm

quetzal_bird wrote:The time stamp on my application is 11:50 pm
Nice. I think I would have been sweating bullets if I had cut it that close, to worried about internet outtages or credit card problems. Although I've heard if you submit a day late law schools typically let it slide, so maybe it doesn't matter.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:41 pm

suspicious android wrote:
Nice. I think I would have been sweating bullets if I had cut it that close, to worried about internet outtages or credit card problems. Although I've heard if you submit a day late law schools typically let it slide, so maybe it doesn't matter.
Yeah, I called Harvard on 2/1 and the lady I talked to implied pretty strongly that they don't care if it's a little bit late.

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:49 am

yessss complete. now scared

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

archie&veronica

New

Post by archie&veronica » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:02 am

dot wrote:yessss complete. now scared
When did you submit?

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:42 pm

archie&veronica wrote:
dot wrote:yessss complete. now scared
When did you submit?
early Feb

helmsleyB

New

Post by helmsleyB » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:26 pm

I had completely forgotten that Yale doesn't have a status checker. If something is missing from the application, will Yale proactively contact you about it?

In particular, I'm concerned about my Dean's Certs. I had to send 3, and I sent them all back in Oct, but didn't apply until Feb. I'm imagining the scenarios where at least one of the Certs was never completed/lost in the mail/lost in Yale's office.
So would Yale contact me if one was missing? Or is it more likely I'll just have to wait for the 'app complete' notification and start worrying if it doesn't come by April?

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:56 pm

helmsleyB wrote:I had completely forgotten that Yale doesn't have a status checker. If something is missing from the application, will Yale proactively contact you about it?

In particular, I'm concerned about my Dean's Certs. I had to send 3, and I sent them all back in Oct, but didn't apply until Feb. I'm imagining the scenarios where at least one of the Certs was never completed/lost in the mail/lost in Yale's office.
So would Yale contact me if one was missing? Or is it more likely I'll just have to wait for the 'app complete' notification and start worrying if it doesn't come by April?
After 4-5 weeks they email you saying your app is either complete or incomplete. If incomplete, they tell you what is missing (a dean's cert) and then you deal with getting them another one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

quetzal_bird

Bronze

Post by quetzal_bird » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:05 pm

suspicious android wrote:
Well, I submitted it at 11:15 or so, but LSAC was slow (with volume I'm guessing), and took awhile to process

tikiman6

Bronze

Post by tikiman6 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:29 pm

Anybody got any info on complete to decision latency?

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:32 pm

tikiman6 wrote:Anybody got any info on complete to decision latency?
Basically, it's incredibly variable. Some people hear back in less than a month. Most take at least two months. Some wait for 5 months or more.

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:34 pm

Anyone had problems with faxing their dean's certs? Was hoping to save a few days getting them to Yale, wondering if it's obnoxious to call them to follow up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JeNeRegretteRien

New

Post by JeNeRegretteRien » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:09 pm

tgir wrote:
Basically, it's incredibly variable. Some people hear back in less than a month. Most take at least two months. Some wait for 5 months or more.
TITCR. In fact, just did a little quick analysis of 2005-2010 LSN data last night on this very question. Among YLS admits:

Avg. time to decision: ~65 days.

Range: 12 to 173 days, not including those accepted off the wait-list.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:35 pm

Complete.

I don't think I'll worry about adding that 3rd LOR or a DS now...

pimpsdontcry

Bronze

Post by pimpsdontcry » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:22 pm

Dear Yale,

I spent 20 dollars sending my dean cert via express mail. While I don't believe this entitles me to an auto-admit, it should be quite close :D

Best,
pimpsdontcry

tikiman6

Bronze

Post by tikiman6 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:05 pm

JeNeRegretteRien wrote:
tgir wrote:
TITCR. In fact, just did a little quick analysis of 2005-2010 LSN data last night on this very question. Among YLS admits:

Oh great. 65 with a deviation of up to 108. (Not standard deviation)

Thanks for the info, I guess what we take away from this is becoming complete means only that your application will now be under review, and almost nothing about when it ceases to be so.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:27 pm

tikiman6 wrote:
JeNeRegretteRien wrote:
tgir wrote:

Thanks for the info, I guess what we take away from this is becoming complete means only that your application will now be under review, and almost nothing about when it ceases to be so.
remember that this takes into account people who apply very early. It's not really that predictive of anything.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:33 pm

Okay but even if we applied mid-February we will probably get a decision by April 30? Or no?

Not that I'm expecting to get in...although I did have a dream last night that I got accepted....Then I woke up and was sad it was just a dream but then I looked on my desk and saw my Yale acceptance binder (it was amazing).

Then I woke up again for real...

...Thats probably the closest I will ever get to a Yale acceptance binder.

JeNeRegretteRien

New

Post by JeNeRegretteRien » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:38 pm

jtemp320 wrote:Okay but even if we applied mid-February we will probably get a decision by April 30? Or no?

Not that I'm expecting to get in...although I did have a dream last night that I got accepted....Then I woke up and was sad it was just a dream but then I looked on my desk and saw my Yale acceptance binder (it was amazing).

Then I woke up again for real...

...Thats probably the closest I will ever get to a Yale acceptance binder.
Multi-level dreams! That's so awesomely Inception like. I'm jealous.

JeNeRegretteRien

New

Post by JeNeRegretteRien » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:44 pm

CastleRock wrote:
tikiman6 wrote:

remember that this takes into account people who apply very early. It's not really that predictive of anything.
I think that was kind of his point, no?

Like all things YLS, they'll get back to you when they do, and all you know is that it will be whenever they're damn good and ready (the price of holistic review). Some early applicants hear back early, some don't. Some late applicants hear back early, some don't. It depends, in part, on whether some professor lost your file under their car seat or simply can't be bothered to read their files until the very last minute, or Dean AR is in an especially good mood and loves your file on the first read. I think it may be a mostly random-walk when you hear back.

[Edited for clarity, and for a mobile device induced editing fail.]
Last edited by JeNeRegretteRien on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:13 am, edited 4 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:47 pm

JeNeRegretteRien wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
tikiman6 wrote:

I think that was kind of his point, no?

Like all things YLS, they'll get back to you when they do, and all you know is that it will be whenever they're damn good and ready. Some early applicants hear back early, some don't. Some late applicants hear back early, some don't. It depends, in part, on whether some professor lost your file under their car seat or simply can't be bothered to read their files until the very last minute, or Dean AR is in a good mood and loves your file on the first read. It's a mostly random-walk.
This could be his point (admittedly I don't know what his point is), but the data has been misconstrued by many people quoting it. Yale doesn't make most of their decisions until later in the cycle, therefore people who applied early are going to be waiting MUCH longer than people who apply later. It is unlikely that someone who applied on March 1st is going to be waiting 65 days, as Yale has stated they plan to have all decisions out long before tha 65 day period is over.

nadopretz

Bronze

Post by nadopretz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:46 am

All this discussion about when we hear back makes me wonder if the people who are hearing back are all yeses, or if some people have already heard nos? As a non-traditional married applicant, we are trying to make some rough joint decisions, and I would love to know how encouraged (if at all) I should be by the fact that a no with my name on it hasn't yet come down the pike.

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:07 pm

nadopretz wrote:All this discussion about when we hear back makes me wonder if the people who are hearing back are all yeses, or if some people have already heard nos? As a non-traditional married applicant, we are trying to make some rough joint decisions, and I would love to know how encouraged (if at all) I should be by the fact that a no with my name on it hasn't yet come down the pike.
A whole bunch of dings came out like a week before the initial February 15th deadline, right?

JeNeRegretteRien

New

Post by JeNeRegretteRien » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:10 pm

nadopretz wrote:All this discussion about when we hear back makes me wonder if the people who are hearing back are all yeses, or if some people have already heard nos? As a non-traditional married applicant, we are trying to make some rough joint decisions, and I would love to know how encouraged (if at all) I should be by the fact that a no with my name on it hasn't yet come down the pike.
I'm in the same position as you, nadopretz, and wondering the same thing, so I feel your pain.

LinzerTorte is right: There have been people that have been dinged (a wave went out around Valentine's Day). I don't know if there have been any more since then, or at least, if there have been, they've been below the TLS/LSN/Twitter radar.

When I did my little "average days to decision" (again using the really incomplete and super noisy but all-we-got LSN data set), I also looked at whether the admit rate for "long-review-time" candidates was any higher than the for the population as a whole. Looking for a little hope and what not. There were no meaningful differences in the data I had, which may mean (as I think Dean AR actually said somewhere) that when you hear back (or in our case, don't) doesn't mean THAT much. Or it may just be the super noisy data set. It seems possible to craft reasonable explanations either way.

I mean it's certainly not bad to have missed the first waves of dings, since technically it leaves the hope alive. And I suppose it could mean (depending on complete date), that you made it into faculty review (which is a big step). My joking in my last post aside, I really do think most of these faculty members have a billion other also-super-important things going on (and different work styles), so there must be some (and maybe substantial) variation in when Faculty-Review-Groups come back with their answers.

I suspect a lot of us will find out in the next few weeks, one way or the other. Sigh.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”