Yale 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
suspicious android

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby suspicious android » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:35 am

Hey-O wrote:Sadly, I'm in the same boat. Why am I wasting $100 again?

So you don't have to say "what if?"

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:39 am

Question for those in the know.. I'm gonna submit my app later today but I'm also waiting on a new LSAT score that I'm hoping will be about 6-7 points above my old score. Will I be able to add an LSAT addendum via e-mail this weekend as long as I submit today and haven't gone complete by then?

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:45 am

suspicious android wrote:Question for those in the know.. I'm gonna submit my app later today but I'm also waiting on a new LSAT score that I'm hoping will be about 6-7 points above my old score. Will I be able to add an LSAT addendum via e-mail this weekend as long as I submit today and haven't gone complete by then?

I submitted my app 2 weeks ago, and called a week later, asking if I could send an updated resume. I was told that at this point, it will be 3-4 weeks from submission until until the app is processed, so my addition will be included.

However, she said that the entire app will be submitted as I sent it to LSAC, and an additions will be added to the back. This doesn't matter in your cases, but those who want to make slight edits to essays or resume are probably out of luck.

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:48 am

aesis wrote:Sadly, I'm in the same boat. Why am I wasting $100 again?

Consider it $1 to prevent each time you would kick yourself in the future.

apparentlynew

Postby apparentlynew » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:49 am

I asked my Dean's office to send the Cert back in November (they confirmed that they sent it with a tracking number, so I know it was delivered), but I did not get around to submitting until today. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of how Yale deals with Dean's Certs received well before the applicant submits the rest of his application? I would hope they open a file and then keep it ready to receive more documents, but that seems awfully optimistic. I hesitate to call them today of all days and ask if they happen to still have my Cert on file.

As to why I would ask them to Fedex the Cert and then not submit until today: I procrastinate.

Thank you very much in advance for any help you can offer!

Lord_Roy

Postby Lord_Roy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:54 am

apparentlynew wrote:I asked my Dean's office to send the Cert back in November (they confirmed that they sent it with a tracking number, so I know it was delivered), but I did not get around to submitting until today. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of how Yale deals with Dean's Certs received well before the applicant submits the rest of his application? I would hope they open a file and then keep it ready to receive more documents, but that seems awfully optimistic. I hesitate to call them today of all days and ask if they happen to still have my Cert on file.

As to why I would ask them to Fedex the Cert and then not submit until today: I procrastinate.

Well I sent my certifications in November, submitted the application on 1/16/2011 only to get an email last Friday informing me that my application was incomplete due to missing certifications. I emailed the admissions office informing them that I had 3 separate certifications sent earlier and that I am sure they must be filed somewhere. Yesterday I received the application complete email. I know somebody wrote here earlier that he/she had a similar problem. In other words, your certifications probably made it into the office, but it is likely you will have to remind them of the fact that you sent them some time before the actual application was submitted. Hope this helps.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:37 am

Shloime wrote:

:D

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:53 am

I doubt you'll have an issue with your Dean's Cert. I had mine sent in October and didn't submit my app until after the Dec. LSAT. It did take me five weeks to go complete, but they never mentioned a missing document, so I don't think that was why it took so long.

almightypush

Postby almightypush » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:34 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:
almightypush wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:It's amazing how I wasn't even going to apply to Yale until about 6 weeks ago and now I'm going to be terribly disappointed if I don't get it :?
That packet they sent me with the samples of PS's and 250s and tips on applying really made me do a 180

i feel you completely. before i received that packet, Yale was not on my radar in terms of schools i wanted to apply to (figured it would be akin to lighting $75 on fire). and even after reading through it initially, i still wasn't going to bother with it... that is, until my gf gave me the old 'they-must-really-be-interested-in-you-if-they-sent-you-that' speech/pep talk. convinced, i went to work on my app--and now, that's where i'll be matriculating in the fall.

hopefully you'll be met with the same fortune. good luck!

someone's gf has earned some serious tlc :wink:

heh. tell me about it. :)

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:47 pm

Lord_Roy wrote:
apparentlynew wrote:I asked my Dean's office to send the Cert back in November (they confirmed that they sent it with a tracking number, so I know it was delivered), but I did not get around to submitting until today. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of how Yale deals with Dean's Certs received well before the applicant submits the rest of his application? I would hope they open a file and then keep it ready to receive more documents, but that seems awfully optimistic. I hesitate to call them today of all days and ask if they happen to still have my Cert on file.

Well I sent my certifications in November, submitted the application on 1/16/2011 only to get an email last Friday informing me that my application was incomplete due to missing certifications. I emailed the admissions office informing them that I had 3 separate certifications sent earlier and that I am sure they must be filed somewhere. Yesterday I received the application complete email. I know somebody wrote here earlier that he/she had a similar problem. In other words, your certifications probably made it into the office, but it is likely you will have to remind them of the fact that you sent them some time before the actual application was submitted. Hope this helps.

ugh I bet that happened to mine...

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:15 pm

Submitted late this evening, I must be one of the last to apply. Now I get to daydream about being a Yalie for a few weeks until my rejection letter comes.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:16 pm

suspicious android wrote:Submitted late this evening, I must be one of the last to apply. Now I get to daydream about being a Yalie for a few weeks until my rejection letter comes.

I didn't do it. I should have but I just...didn't have the heart for it. I didn't even have a compelling reason 'Why Yale'.

aesis

Postby aesis » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:27 pm

suspicious android wrote:Submitted late this evening, I must be one of the last to apply. Now I get to daydream about being a Yalie for a few weeks until my rejection letter comes.

+1
my brother hated new haven though, so I won't be daydreaming too much.

ashleyryan

Postby ashleyryan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:41 pm

Hey-O wrote:

I didn't do it. I should have but I just...didn't have the heart for it. I didn't even have a compelling reason 'Why Yale'.

do it! you still have time!!

WayBryson

Postby WayBryson » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Hey-O wrote: I didn't do it. I should have but I just...didn't have the heart for it. I didn't even have a compelling reason 'Why Yale'.

Writing a "Why Yale" essay is easy. First, go online and find a nice copy of the Ontological Proof for God. Having found one you like, simply copy and paste it into Word. Now comes the tricky part. If you look in the upper, right-hand corner of MS Word's ribbon (WHY! Why, Microsoft, did you destroy my beautiful menu bar!!), you will find a little icon in the ribbon shaped like a pair of binoculars with the word "find" next to it. Click on it. Now all that remains is for you to find and replace words like "God" and phrases like "the infinite" with their legal synonyms "Yale" and "New Haven." Q.E.D. You're done!

In all seriousness, if you are trolling this thread and think you have even the remotest shot of admission, you probably owe it to yourself to send in your application. In the grand scale of things 100 dollars is just 20 or so lattes. Best of luck to you.

Ctgrapefruit

Postby Ctgrapefruit » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:13 pm

jd20132013 wrote:Yeah I sent mine twice because I was paranoid about it getting lost in the mail...then Stanford had put mine somewhere weird, because when i called to ask about it they found it and added it to my file within 5 minutes.
My thing is I don't want to call Yale because it seems like they've snapped at a few people for calling. But since the Dean's cert is separate I don't see how this is supposed to work.
I mean it seems like it could just be sitting in limbo there since they don't have the dean's certificate.

I'm not too concerned but if it gets to like Wednesday and I'm not complete I'll start getting worried. Sad thing is that I wasn't expecting a completion anytime before next week at the earliest, but now that i'm seeing people who submitted around my time go complete...yeah

Call them if you haven't gone complete. I had my Dean's cert faxed over after calling four times and mailing it twice. The form gets lost in the mail a lot for some reason. They won't mind if you call just to know if they got it. If they didn't, send it again. Calling didn't keep me from being admitted. So, no worries!

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:19 pm

Ctgrapefruit wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:Yeah I sent mine twice because I was paranoid about it getting lost in the mail...then Stanford had put mine somewhere weird, because when i called to ask about it they found it and added it to my file within 5 minutes.
My thing is I don't want to call Yale because it seems like they've snapped at a few people for calling. But since the Dean's cert is separate I don't see how this is supposed to work.
I mean it seems like it could just be sitting in limbo there since they don't have the dean's certificate.

I'm not too concerned but if it gets to like Wednesday and I'm not complete I'll start getting worried. Sad thing is that I wasn't expecting a completion anytime before next week at the earliest, but now that i'm seeing people who submitted around my time go complete...yeah

Call them if you haven't gone complete. I had my Dean's cert faxed over after calling four times and mailing it twice. The form gets lost in the mail a lot for some reason. They won't mind if you call just to know if they got it. If they didn't, send it again. Calling didn't keep me from being admitted. So, no worries!

I can confirm the accuracy of the underlined statement.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:11 am

Thanks guys, I'll give them a call tomorrow.

ashleyryan

Postby ashleyryan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:55 am

Ctgrapefruit wrote:

Damn! Do you have the fax number to the admissions office?

neonx

Postby neonx » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:03 am

ashleyryan wrote:
Ctgrapefruit wrote:

Damn! Do you have the fax number to the admissions office?

I'm also interested in this fax #. Anyone?

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:08 am

I don't know if I like or hate the fact that they don't have a status checker.

moneko

Postby moneko » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:53 am

Hey-O wrote:Sadly, I'm in the same boat. Why am I wasting $100 again?

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:05 am

Shloime wrote:

I didn't do it and now I am sort of kicking myself. Oh well. Just remember I wasn't going to get into Yale.

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:38 am

Dear Yale,

I have already asked Columbia for this, so I will understand if you think I´m being greedy and want to say no. However, I would just like to remind you that it´s my birthday, and so if you´d like to send a yes my way, it would be pretty fly of you.

Sincerely,

ChriLa425

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:45 am

kazu wrote:I don't know if I like or hate the fact that they don't have a status checker.

I know! I'm so torn, on one hand its nice to basically forget about the app for a while, on the other hand, I am DONE at all my other schools.

What am I going to do at work with no more status checker to obsess over?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”