Yale 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Nulli Secundus

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby Nulli Secundus » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:14 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:Just sent in!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Four month wait for a rejection, here I come!

I feel your pain for making that typo in your Y250. You know, the one on the line before the last. Though I am sure you will be ok.

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:26 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:Just sent in!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Four month wait for a rejection, here I come!

I feel your pain for making that typo in your Y250. You know, the one on the line before the last. Though I am sure you will be ok.

Ha ha.

ringdabell

Postby ringdabell » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:00 am

I guess people who got their complete email on December are starting to hear back?
I sent my app in at early jan and had complete email early feb. so I guess I won't hear back till what, mid March? :(

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:38 am

ringdabell wrote:I guess people who got their complete email on December are starting to hear back?
I sent my app in at early jan and had complete email early feb. so I guess I won't hear back till what, mid March? :(

My app still isn't in :P

ringdabell

Postby ringdabell » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:50 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
ringdabell wrote:I guess people who got their complete email on December are starting to hear back?

Hmm? You sent the app when?

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:56 am

ringdabell wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

Hmm? You sent the app when?

Next week.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:24 am

I sent in my app the 1st week of Jan last year and heard back in mid-March.

Congrats to all the admits and good luck to everybody else!

Polybius

Postby Polybius » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:22 am

What's the general policy on sending Yale an unsolicited LOCI? (I'm a September applicant who [fingers crossed] hasn't been rejected yet, so I figured a LOCI might be helpful.) Any advice would be appreciated -- thanks!

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:16 am

Polybius wrote:What's the general policy on sending Yale an unsolicited LOCI? (I'm a September applicant who [fingers crossed] hasn't been rejected yet, so I figured a LOCI might be helpful.) Any advice would be appreciated -- thanks!

In response to your question, check out this blog post by Asha:
http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissions/archive/2009/04/27/bad-idea-jeans-don-t-be-a-waitlist-stalker.aspx

I'm under the impression that LOCIs are to be sent in once the applicant has been WL'ed, and even then they are only marginally helpful, if at all. HTH.

ashleyre

Postby ashleyre » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:50 am

My application was sent about a month ago but my school is extremely slow and my Dean's certification has just become available. Any idea where to send it to so that it can be added to my app?

Kaitlyn

Postby Kaitlyn » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:19 am

ashleyre wrote:My application was sent about a month ago but my school is extremely slow and my Dean's certification has just become available. Any idea where to send it to so that it can be added to my app?

You can just email it to them at admissions.law@yale.edu. They're pretty speedy- my application updated to Complete within hours of sending my Dean's Cert.

Ok, so is anyone else mildly freaked out by the fact that the YLS Facebook group has over 100 members already?! Really wish I had gone complete earlier...

westbayguy

Postby westbayguy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:16 pm

Kaitlyn wrote:
ashleyre wrote:My application was sent about a month ago but my school is extremely slow and my Dean's certification has just become available. Any idea where to send it to so that it can be added to my app?

You can just email it to them at admissions.law@yale.edu. They're pretty speedy- my application updated to Complete within hours of sending my Dean's Cert.

Ok, so is anyone else mildly freaked out by the fact that the YLS Facebook group has over 100 members already?! Really wish I had gone complete earlier...

Don't worry , that means there are still 150 offers to be made. Sounds like good odds to me!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:18 pm

Or does it mean that of those accepted & planning to attend Yale Law School only 100 have joined the facebook group ?

Lord_Roy

Postby Lord_Roy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:23 pm

I received the first email on 1/19 (application transmitted on 1/16 via LSAC) but still have not received the application complete email. I phoned yale admissions on Thursday and a very slow speaking lady told me after about 5 minutes of checking that my application was still being processed - is this normal? I plan on sending an email tomorrow asking whats taking so long and hopefully getting some actual information. I know Yale is a 1:10000 long shot for me, but still, I paid the application fee and at least want them to take a look at my app....

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:24 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Or does it mean that of those accepted & planning to attend Yale Law School only 100 have joined the facebook group ?

Brr.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:25 pm

I knew that I should have added a happy face smilie !

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:46 pm

Can one of the admits tell us how/why you joined the facebook page? Prompting with your admit package? It looks like an official thing (especially given the admin) so it might be fairly close to the number of admits, or at least a high percentage of those with a facebook account.

afLSAT

Postby afLSAT » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:00 pm

Lord_Roy wrote:I received the first email on 1/19 (application transmitted on 1/16 via LSAC) but still have not received the application complete email. I phoned yale admissions on Thursday and a very slow speaking lady told me after about 5 minutes of checking that my application was still being processed - is this normal? I plan on sending an email tomorrow asking whats taking so long and hopefully getting some actual information. I know Yale is a 1:10000 long shot for me, but still, I paid the application fee and at least want them to take a look at my app....

Try checking your LSAC "completed applications" page.

I submitted around the same time as you and received the same email. Still haven't gotten a followup, and was starting to get antsy.

This morning, though, I logged into LSAC and noticed that Yale had just requested my complete LSAC report a couple of days ago. So it seems like things are moving along, roughly at the pace they'd promised. ("It'll take up to four weeks to process your application.")

almightypush

Postby almightypush » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:16 pm

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:Can one of the admits tell us how/why you joined the facebook page? Prompting with your admit package? It looks like an official thing (especially given the admin) so it might be fairly close to the number of admits, or at least a high percentage of those with a facebook account.

the page is certainly official. in regards to the 'why,' among other things, i joined to access the admitted students binder, as my hard copy has not yet arrived in the mail. and for the 'how,' Craig Janecek sends a link to join the group in the 'welcome' email. once you reach the group page, you have to hit the 'ask to join group' button, and a group admin approves your request.

i'm actually surprised more schools haven't followed with the facebook group thing. seems to be a fairly convenient/efficient way to disburse information related to the admissions process.

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:26 pm

almightypush wrote:
The Real Jack McCoy wrote:Can one of the admits tell us how/why you joined the facebook page? Prompting with your admit package? It looks like an official thing (especially given the admin) so it might be fairly close to the number of admits, or at least a high percentage of those with a facebook account.

the page is certainly official. in regards to the 'why,' among other things, i joined to access the admitted students binder, as my hard copy has not yet arrived in the mail. and for the 'how,' Craig Janecek sends a link to join the group in the 'welcome' email. once you reach the group page, you have to hit the 'ask to join group' button, and a group admin approves your request.

i'm actually surprised more schools haven't followed with the facebook group thing. seems to be a fairly convenient/efficient way to disburse information related to the admissions process.

Thanks. Given the description, I'd guess the facebook group represents a sizeable majority of the admits.

Lord_Roy

Postby Lord_Roy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:32 pm

afLSAT wrote:
Lord_Roy wrote:I received the first email on 1/19 (application transmitted on 1/16 via LSAC) but still have not received the application complete email. I phoned yale admissions on Thursday and a very slow speaking lady told me after about 5 minutes of checking that my application was still being processed - is this normal? I plan on sending an email tomorrow asking whats taking so long and hopefully getting some actual information. I know Yale is a 1:10000 long shot for me, but still, I paid the application fee and at least want them to take a look at my app....

I submitted around the same time as you and received the same email. Still haven't gotten a followup, and was starting to get antsy.

This morning, though, I logged into LSAC and noticed that Yale had just requested my complete LSAC report a couple of days ago. So it seems like things are moving along, roughly at the pace they'd promised. ("It'll take up to four weeks to process your application.")

Thanks for the info, but according to LSAC my report was sent on 1/18.... so I'll probably have to write them anyway. Oh well...

nicola6

Postby nicola6 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:55 pm

Lord_Roy wrote:
afLSAT wrote:

Thanks for the info, but according to LSAC my report was sent on 1/18.... so I'll probably have to write them anyway. Oh well...

Lord_Roy: I'd recommend waiting another week at least. I believe it took five weeks or so between the time I received the first "Application received" email to the "Application complete" email. I had emailed them exactly four weeks after they received my app, and they replied with a note that said it could take up to six weeks to process each application; sure enough, my application was complete soon thereafter. So I wouldn't worry. If there's anything, such as a dean's cert, that's holding up your app, they'll let you know.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:03 pm

Just got the application complete e-mail. Submitted 2/1/11. Now I sit back and wait for the inevitable ding.

123kl

Postby 123kl » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:04 pm

jman77 wrote:Just got the application complete e-mail. Submitted 2/1/11. Now I sit back and wait for the inevitable ding.

hmmm submitted a few days earlier and... nothing. anyone else?

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:52 pm

YAY email from Yale. Boo for their attempts to increase yield.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”