Yale 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
slax

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby slax » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:38 pm

The twitter:

Please disregard the typo on one of our webpages. The application deadline has been extended until March 1.
about 3 hours ago via web

In honor of Valentine's Day we'll be calling everyday this week to tell some of our applicants how much we love them.
about 15 hours ago via web

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:41 pm

pride09 wrote:What year did Yale start requiring a Deans cert? It certainly is a headache when you're out of (and far away from) undergrad.

H requires a Dean's cert after you've been accepted--this seems like a much more prudent route.

This year was the first year Yale required Dean's certs.

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:50 pm

I just don't get this March 1st thing. It takes them like a month to "process" things and for people to go complete. Say Asha then reads the app and passes it on to faculty review. The three professors who then have to evaluate the app are in a pretty big time crunch. It just seems weird to extend the deadline and get more applications when they already hand out decisions so late to people who applied forever ago. Forget people trying to plan for ASW and all that. It seems like people will be getting decisions quite late in April and a lot of them will probably be set on another school by then.

That probably doesn't make sense (I just took an exam and my brain is mush). What I'm trying to say is, Yale isn't making sense to me right now and also I want my decision.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:55 pm

ebeth wrote:I just don't get this March 1st thing. It takes them like a month to "process" things and for people to go complete. Say Asha then reads the app and passes it on to faculty review. The three professors who then have to evaluate the app are in a pretty big time crunch. It just seems weird to extend the deadline and get more applications when they already hand out decisions so late to people who applied forever ago. Forget people trying to plan for ASW and all that. It seems like people will be getting decisions quite late in April and a lot of them will probably be set on another school by then.

That probably doesn't make sense (I just took an exam and my brain is mush). What I'm trying to say is, Yale isn't making sense to me right now and also I want my decision.

I could get in to Yale in August and I would go.

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:57 pm

d34dluk3 wrote: I could get in to Yale in August and I would go.

That's a good point. I was actually thinking that as I wrote what I did. And they know that the vast majority of people will say yes to them regardless of when they get their decisions. Still. I guess I'm just complaining about the extension of the deadline because I feel like it might delay my own decision. Just being selfish.

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:00 pm

ebeth wrote:

That's a good point. I was actually thinking that as I wrote what I did. And they know that the vast majority of people will say yes to them regardless of when they get their decisions. Still. I guess I'm just complaining about the extension of the deadline because I feel like it might delay my own decision. Just being selfish.

No you're not being selfish. especially if you applied really early. just because they know that you will likely go there if accepted doesn't make it ok not to tell people until after they may have put down a deposit to reserve a spot at another school. not saying yale will do that and 99% sure i'm not going to get in anyway but either way. not selfish. practical.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:06 pm

sonervous88 wrote:
ebeth wrote:

No you're not being selfish. especially if you applied really early. just because they know that you will likely go there if accepted doesn't make it ok not to tell people until after they may have put down a deposit to reserve a spot at another school. not saying yale will do that and 99% sure i'm not going to get in anyway but either way. not selfish. practical.

A Yale degree is worth, at the very least, thousands of dollars more than a Harvard degree. Who cares about a $500 deposit?

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:08 pm

A Yale degree is worth, at the very least, thousands of dollars more than a Harvard degree.

o_O

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:10 pm

hoping wrote:wow...so basically I submitted my app last night and when I look ed over it this morning I noticed 3 things...1) I did not check off one of the options "first time applying" (it is) or "applied before" 2) I wrote "n/a" for a few of the questions 6-12 on the separate page (despite bold letters on top of app stating "leave answers that don't apply to you blank" 3) on my resume that I uploaded it says i will be attending NYU...(because although yale has always been my first choice...up until a few days ago I was not going to be able to leave ny..and since getting into nyu i thought my admissions process was over..) do I send addendum and update for resume or just forget it bec i made so many mistakes i have no chance?

thanks, sincerely, extremely despondent and upset at her own stupidity

2. I don't believe is relevant to the separate sheet. I took that as meaning don't fill in answers on the electronic pdf itself that don't apply to you (like green card number or whatever it was)

Seems to me that it's a lot more orderly to put "Question 6: No response for this section" than to just skip it and leave it blank.

Anyway, I don't think they'll reject you because of that.

The other two might be more problematic...

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:15 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
sonervous88 wrote:
ebeth wrote:

A Yale degree is worth, at the very least, thousands of dollars more than a Harvard degree. Who cares about a $500 deposit?

Obviously you don't. But for me $500 is plenty of money so I care. :)

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:31 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:A Yale degree is worth, at the very least, thousands of dollars more than a Harvard degree.

How do you figure that?

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:51 pm

sonervous88 wrote:Obviously you don't. But for me $500 is plenty of money so I care. :)

Oh, it's plenty of money for me, too. This is a red herring, though. The real point is that it would be considerate of them to get back to people quickly. Of course, other people benefit from the extra time to apply, so it's not all bad.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:57 pm

ebeth wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:A Yale degree is worth, at the very least, thousands of dollars more than a Harvard degree.

How do you figure that?

- An article III clerkship is worth more than a firm offer in general (since they are more sought after than firm offers)

- How much more is it worth? Conservatively, 10%, since the relative values would be a bone of contention otherwise (e.g. people arguing over whether a clerkship or firm is better). (I would say more like 30-50%).

- Comparing to lockstep, a clerkship is worth 165K + 16.5K / year at a 10% differential.

- Data from 2009 shows 18% more of the Yale class getting Article III clerkships than Harvard (--LinkRemoved--).

- Value increase: 0.18 * 16.5K = 2.97K / year

And that's an extremely conservative estimate IMO. For people who care more about career trajectory than money, the value is even more significant.

bedefan

Postby bedefan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:59 pm

slax wrote:The twitter:

Please disregard the typo on one of our webpages. The application deadline has been extended until March 1.
about 3 hours ago via web

In honor of Valentine's Day we'll be calling everyday this week to tell some of our applicants how much we love them.
about 15 hours ago via web

My rejection came on Valentine's Day. Ho, ho, ho.

Wait, that's the sarcastic thing when someone violates the spirit of Christmas. What do you say when someone violates the spirit of Valentine's Day?

alphagamma

Postby alphagamma » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:18 pm

bedefan wrote:My rejection came on Valentine's Day. Ho, ho, ho.

Wait, that's the sarcastic thing when someone violates the spirit of Christmas. What do you say when someone violates the spirit of Valentine's Day?

+1

Also, I have no idea. Maybe...the rejection came sealed with a kiss?

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:42 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
ebeth wrote:

How do you figure that?

- An article III clerkship is worth more than a firm offer in general (since they are more sought after than firm offers)

- How much more is it worth? Conservatively, 10%, since the relative values would be a bone of contention otherwise (e.g. people arguing over whether a clerkship or firm is better). (I would say more like 30-50%).

- Comparing to lockstep, a clerkship is worth 165K + 16.5K / year at a 10% differential.

- Data from 2009 shows 18% more of the Yale class getting Article III clerkships than Harvard (--LinkRemoved--).

- Value increase: 0.18 * 16.5K = 2.97K / year

And that's an extremely conservative estimate IMO. For people who care more about career trajectory than money, the value is even more significant.

Or its just a selection bias. Harvard is definitely more corporate oriented than Yale.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:06 pm

CastleRock wrote:Or its just a selection bias. Harvard is definitely more corporate oriented than Yale.

Yeah, but if I did the same calc for what % of each class can get Wachtell, I think we both know what the outcome would be.

Vertigo963

Postby Vertigo963 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:39 pm

angua wrote:Is it poor form to call Yale to see if dean's certs all got there?

They said they couldn't answer that when I asked, and that I should be patient. I'm sure they're deluged right now.

angua

Postby angua » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:56 pm

Vertigo963 wrote:
angua wrote:Is it poor form to call Yale to see if dean's certs all got there?

They said they couldn't answer that when I asked, and that I should be patient. I'm sure they're deluged right now.

This is a very good point. I feel so sorry for the people working in that office. Probably shouldn't add to their stress.

hoping

Postby hoping » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:12 pm

jd20132013 wrote:
hoping wrote:wow...so basically I submitted my app last night and when I look ed over it this morning I noticed 3 things...1) I did not check off one of the options "first time applying" (it is) or "applied before" 2) I wrote "n/a" for a few of the questions 6-12 on the separate page (despite bold letters on top of app stating "leave answers that don't apply to you blank" 3) on my resume that I uploaded it says i will be attending NYU...(because although yale has always been my first choice...up until a few days ago I was not going to be able to leave ny..and since getting into nyu i thought my admissions process was over..) do I send addendum and update for resume or just forget it bec i made so many mistakes i have no chance?

2. I don't believe is relevant to the separate sheet. I took that as meaning don't fill in answers on the electronic pdf itself that don't apply to you (like green card number or whatever it was)

Seems to me that it's a lot more orderly to put "Question 6: No response for this section" than to just skip it and leave it blank.

thanks for answering...I feel like such an idiot...who makes careless mistakes on their yale app? if its a weeding out process I am an auto ding...

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:15 pm

hoping wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:

thanks for answering...I feel like such an idiot...who makes careless mistakes on their yale app? if its a weeding out process I am an auto ding...

Asha has said before that they are willing to overlook mistakes. #3 is your only real misstep. I would call their office and explain that you accidentally sent them the wrong resume and see what they advise. I don't think it will hurt you if you get it taken care of ASAP.

hoping

Postby hoping » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:19 pm

thanks, yeah i called right away and was told to send an email with an addendum and the correct resume...so I did that already, I guess now I can stop banging my head against the wall...and just wait and see what happens!

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:31 pm

hoping wrote:thanks, yeah i called right away and was told to send an email with an addendum and the correct resume...so I did that already, I guess now I can stop banging my head against the wall...and just wait and see what happens!

Sorry about this, but yeah try to put it out of your mind as much as you can. At least you caught the mistakes quickly.

intheend

Postby intheend » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:14 am

Just to reassure you guys, I sent in an email (pretty clumsily worded given my extreme levels of stress) correcting what in retrospect was a "minor error" within a week of going under review and used the word "error" in almost every sentence of the 6 that I wrote. They replied saying that they would add the email to my file as clarification. And I thought I was headed for straight ding. Turns out they actually do care more about the substance of your application than formatting choice/small errors as Dean Rangappa clarifies under "Technical Matters." In short, send an email with the corrections, and breathe easier.

Good luck everyone!

PS - Similar emails to Stanford and Columbia as well, and things worked out pretty well.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:28 am

intheend wrote:Just to reassure you guys, I sent in an email (pretty clumsily worded given my extreme levels of stress) correcting what in retrospect was a "minor error" within a week of going under review and used the word "error" in almost every sentence of the 6 that I wrote. They replied saying that they would add the email to my file as clarification. And I thought I was headed for straight ding. Turns out they actually do care more about the substance of your application than formatting choice/small errors as Dean Rangappa clarifies under "Technical Matters." In short, send an email with the corrections, and breathe easier.

Good luck everyone!

PS - Similar emails to Stanford and Columbia as well, and things worked out pretty well.

I kind of want to be you right now. :D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”