Yale 2011 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ebeth

Bronze

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Post by ebeth » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:15 am

For question 9 I said something about how my prelaw adviser took a look at my PS/250 and gave me feedback/suggestions. I did not mention that my friend read it and said she liked it. I didn't think that counted.

Also, sorry r6 :( You're awesome regardless. As you already know without my telling you.

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:42 am

r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
dbrddr wrote:LSN says r6philly was rejected :cry: Sorry, bro.
:( :( :( :(
Thanks guys, had to take the shot. Got the letter yesterday. Guess wasn't quite made for it after all.

Good luck to you. And dbrddr, I really wish you would take it.
Aw, philly, I'm sorry! Can you stay ITT to keep cheerleadering the rest of us?

In other news, TODAY is the DAY!! I am GOING TO DO IT, YOU GUYS!!!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:04 am

notanumber wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
dbrddr wrote:LSN says r6philly was rejected :cry: Sorry, bro.
:( :( :( :(
Thanks guys, had to take the shot. Got the letter yesterday. Guess wasn't quite made for it after all.

Good luck to you. And dbrddr, I really wish you would take it.
This makes me sad :(.
I don't really feel too bad about it. It would have been nice... Nothing I ever wanted to do has been a straight path to the top, I think I got a little carried away by my optimism. Would have loved to be your classmate though, as you know.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:06 am

Good luck! Now that they sent out all the little white letters without return addresses (?)

This week is the week for you!

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:28 am

Sorry, r6_philly! I'm sure you will still end up at a great school.

I checked no for question 9, because the only person I had read my personal statement was my dad. Didn't think that counted...

I really wish my app would go complete already! Submitted 1/10 and still nothing...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

intheend

New

Post by intheend » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:38 am

Dean Rangappa on her blog wrote:Most students take the time to prepare their application on their own, and will probably reach out to friends and family or the prelaw advisor at their college or university for guidance on essay ideas or proofreading. That's fine, and we hope and expect that you'll use these resources (though you should still disclose it on your application).
I think the blog post is pretty clear on the issue.

1001ArabiaNights

New

Post by 1001ArabiaNights » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:05 pm

intheend wrote:
Dean Rangappa on her blog wrote:Most students take the time to prepare their application on their own, and will probably reach out to friends and family or the prelaw advisor at their college or university for guidance on essay ideas or proofreading. That's fine, and we hope and expect that you'll use these resources (though you should still disclose it on your application).
Thanks for the clarification. I just sent the application in; it feel great to have that monkey finally off my back.

For all the effort I've exerted and stress I've suffered for this application, I feel as though I reduced my likelihood for a ding from 99.9% to merely 99%. From an alternative perspective, I increased my chance of admissions by a factor of 10!

Good luck to all other applicants!

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:16 pm

intheend wrote:
Ah, I see. Well, I hadn't read the blog when I submitted, and the application question itself offered two examples of assistance (pre-law advisor and admissions consultant)--I didn't think a parent fell in the same category.

Wouldn't almost everyone check that box then? I can't believe there are many people out there who didn't have at least one person proofread an essay. I had assumed that the spirit of the question was to differentiate people who had access to assistance (i.e. a consultant) from others who might not have been able to afford such help.

Either way, it's too late for me to change my response, and I doubt it has all that much bearing on admission decisions.

sonervous88

Bronze

Post by sonervous88 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:18 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:
intheend wrote:
Ah, I see. Well, I hadn't read the blog when I submitted, and the application question itself offered two examples of assistance (pre-law advisor and admissions consultant)--I didn't think a parent fell in the same category.

Wouldn't almost everyone check that box then? I can't believe there are many people out there who didn't have at least one person proofread an essay. I had assumed that the spirit of the question was to differentiate people who had access to assistance (i.e. a consultant) from others who might not have been able to afford such help.

Either way, it's too late for me to change my response, and I doubt it has all that much bearing on admission decisions.
+1 i imagine 99% of people have SOMEONE read their personal statement

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JeNeRegretteRien

New

Post by JeNeRegretteRien » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:11 pm

sonervous88 wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote:
intheend wrote:

+1 i imagine 99% of people have SOMEONE read their personal statement
I'd suggest that simply argues that 99% of people should disclose. I mean, 100% of applicants took the LSAT - that doesn't preclude them from having to disclose their score.

I'd also suggest that having checked "no," and now knowing that YLS wanted you to check "yes" might make a quick follow-up email with correction worthwhile. E.g. "Didn't see the blog, didn't think the instructions included friends/family (as opposed to professional advice). Stand corrected. FYI - Had my friend/parent read over my app."

If anything, the email might be a positive - shows excruciating scruples. But it nothing else, doing it seems worth it to avoid the risk of having a pesky/cranky bar examiner make your life miserable on C&F review.

Just a thought...

dbrddr

Bronze

Post by dbrddr » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:20 pm

1001ArabiaNights wrote:I can't believe there are many people out there who didn't have at least one person proofread an essay.
Representin'

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:46 pm

I probably will send an email at some point then.

But :lol: I highly doubt that the bar examiner is going to find it worth his/her time to demand, "Did you or did you not have your father advise you to correct a comma splice on your personal statement?"

Like I said, I'm not trying to hide anything or lie, but...I'm pretty sure the C&F stuff deals with slightly more important issues.

JeNeRegretteRien

New

Post by JeNeRegretteRien » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:00 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:I probably will send an email at some point then.

But :lol: I highly doubt that the bar examiner is going to find it worth his/her time to demand, "Did you or did you not have your father advise you to correct a comma splice on your personal statement?"

Like I said, I'm not trying to hide anything or lie, but...I'm pretty sure the C&F stuff deals with slightly more important issues.
I think you're probably right (or at least one would hope so), but my thought was better safe than sorry. Asha and Josh Rubenstein made a point in interviews of talking about really pesky/cranky bar examiners (e.g. giving candidates a hard time for not disclosing things like speeding tickets that were explicitly NOT required on their particular school's LS application) - which is why I'm thinking better to over-disclose than not.

But, heh, what do I know? Just thought the suggestion might be helpful. ;-)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:07 pm

Submitting my app (finally) tonight. Praying.

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:12 pm

Twitter says they are moving their deadline to march 1st....

JeNeRegretteRien

New

Post by JeNeRegretteRien » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:12 pm

Via YLS Twitter feed: "We've received a lot calls from people who took the LSAT this weekend who now want to apply. So we're extending our application deadline until March 1. Procrastinators rejoice!"

Is it just me, or this kind of shocking?

I wonder if the drop in overall application volume has anything to do with this...

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:15 pm

JeNeRegretteRien wrote:Via YLS Twitter feed: "We've received a lot calls from people who took the LSAT this weekend who now want to apply. So we're extending our application deadline until March 1. Procrastinators rejoice!"

I wonder if the drop in overall application volume has anything to do with this...
Very shocking to me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:15 pm

JeNeRegretteRien wrote:Via YLS Twitter feed: "We've received a lot calls from people who took the LSAT this weekend who now want to apply. So we're extending our application deadline until March 1. Procrastinators rejoice!"

HUZZAH!!!! HUZZAH!!!!!

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:18 pm

Definitely very strange...but I will take any evidence that supports the theory that apps are down!

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:19 pm

Wow. Just when I thought I'd finally convinced myself that I had better uses for $100.

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:19 pm

Yeah, wow. YLS bending to popular demand? There must be something else going on.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:20 pm

Does someone want to look at my 250?

ppch

New

Post by ppch » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:27 pm

tgir wrote:Yeah, wow. YLS bending to popular demand? There must be something else going on.
Well, they did release the application rather late (not that they have to make up for it).

Looks like I may give it a go after all.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:31 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
Wow. Just when I thought I'd finally convinced myself that I had better uses for $100.
I don't see the downside of extending the deadline. Their selectivity goes up, and revenue also goes up since they don't give merit waivers and they don't honor LSAC waiver.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:45 pm

So those of us who just applied - any theories on when we'll hear? April 30th?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”