Yale 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
champsound
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby champsound » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:25 pm

I got a package in the mail today from YLS telling me to apply because their "Pacific Islander, Asian, and Native American (PANA)" program would be attractive to me. I lol-ed. They didn't even offer a fee waiver or anything. Nice try Yale, but I'm not adding to your list of rejected people.

hoopla14
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:24 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby hoopla14 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:26 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:
tomwatts wrote:No tweet, no calls.

Does make me wonder when the next round will be.

*snicker*


Knowing all this, I still spend a lot of my day looking longingly at the phone, trying to will it to ring.

User avatar
rocon7383
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby rocon7383 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:38 pm

Is it true that Yale has not denied ANYONE yet? So there is a massive rejection storm brewing?

App was complete 11.4. It's kinda ridiculous to sit on an auto-rejection for 3 months for no good reason.
Last edited by rocon7383 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby Knock » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:47 pm

champsound wrote:I got a package in the mail today from YLS telling me to apply because their "Pacific Islander, Asian, and Native American (PANA)" program would be attractive to me. I lol-ed. They didn't even offer a fee waiver or anything. Nice try Yale, but I'm not adding to your list of rejected people.


:lol:. I thought the same thing but I gave in, oh well.

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby jd20132013 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:14 pm

Ugh I'm literally stuck on this 250

have two very similar but different drafts written out.

There's a point where it becomes too much that you're putting in, particularly when there isn't an established right way to do it.

I'll give it until Thursday at the latest then I'll just have to go with what I have

juliachild-ish
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby juliachild-ish » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:26 pm

champsound wrote:I got a package in the mail today from YLS telling me to apply because their "Pacific Islander, Asian, and Native American (PANA)" program would be attractive to me. I lol-ed. They didn't even offer a fee waiver or anything. Nice try Yale, but I'm not adding to your list of rejected people.


I'm kind of curious about this, though...I mean, you have great numbers and a great UG, plus they bothered to solicit you. Don't you think it's at least worth a try? I guess if you're not at all interested in going there I'd understand not applying, but otherwise I feel like you should give it a chance.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby tomwatts » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:23 pm

If we discount the tweet on 2/1 that claimed that there would be more admit calls later in the week — because no one has reported being admitted on LSN since then, and there hasn't been a follow-up tweet — then that's two weeks without admit calls as of today. Last year, until March, it was fairly common for the office to go 10-12 days between admit calls, but they never went as many as 14 days after they re-opened from Winter Break.

Makes me wonder if, on the one hand, they did actually do admit calls a few days ago and we just didn't know, or if, on the other hand, they were so busy rejecting people that they didn't get to it. There is one reported rejection on LSN, who updated last Friday. (EDIT: But yeah, see subsequent posts.)

Either way, it's hard to tell whether there's going to be a big round of catch-up admit calls, or it's going to be a slow month until they get to finishing everything off starting in March (and continuing through mid-April), or their "lots of offers today" on 1/22 meant that they had gone ahead and don't need to admit anyone for a while, or....
Last edited by tomwatts on Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lzyovrachievr
Posts: 1695
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:24 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby lzyovrachievr » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:41 pm

tomwatts wrote: or....

I do like your posts and analyzing. But this is what I received from that post.

User avatar
dbrddr
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby dbrddr » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:46 pm

tomwatts wrote:There is one reported rejection on LSN, who updated last Friday.


That rejection was from the 09-10 cycle

User avatar
rocon7383
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby rocon7383 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:03 pm

dbrddr wrote:
tomwatts wrote:There is one reported rejection on LSN, who updated last Friday.


That rejection was from the 09-10 cycle


So they haven't rejected a single person yet?!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:14 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:
tomwatts wrote: or....

I do like your posts and analyzing. But this is what I received from that post.


It feels like the whole cycle just stalled for all the top schools.

JeNeRegretteRien
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby JeNeRegretteRien » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:17 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
dbrddr wrote:
tomwatts wrote:There is one reported rejection on LSN, who updated last Friday.


That rejection was from the 09-10 cycle


So they haven't rejected a single person yet?!


Not that we know of. But that may change soon. If the tweet is even directionally correct, the first batch should be in the mail soon... Or already is.

JeNeRegretteRien
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby JeNeRegretteRien » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:
lzyovrachievr wrote:
tomwatts wrote: or....

I do like your posts and analyzing. But this is what I received from that post.


It feels like the whole cycle just stalled for all the top schools.


It does feel that way. I wonder if people feel that way every year, or if the drop in applicants really has put the brakes on the cycle...

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:24 pm

JeNeRegretteRien wrote:It does feel that way. I wonder if people feel that way every year, or if the drop in applicants really has put the brakes on the cycle...


It did not feel like this last year. It had a different feel. It seemed like every school was rushing to get decisions out because they were overwhelmed with the sheer number of applications.

This year however has been progressing really slowly. And a quick glance between all my facebook groups shows massive number of cross admits (below CCN though). I have no idea what's going on, and I don't really want to speculate. I wonder if they get some sort of metric during the cycle about cross admits. It feels like everyone is applying to 10+ schools (seems that way from that poll thread) and schools may be startled a bit on how many applicants there really are.

What if
- LSAT takers are down 10-15% while number of retakers increase 10-15%
- number of applications are down 10-15% while people on average apply to 10-15% more number of schools

What if the true number of applicants for this cycle is actually down 20-25%?

(profit)? :)

User avatar
Weirdlog
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby Weirdlog » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:25 pm

JeNeRegretteRien wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
lzyovrachievr wrote:
tomwatts wrote: or....

I do like your posts and analyzing. But this is what I received from that post.


It feels like the whole cycle just stalled for all the top schools.


It does feel that way. I wonder if people feel that way every year, or if the drop in applicants really has put the brakes on the cycle...


I don't understand how the drop in applications would SLOW down the cycle--wouldn't schools be more inclined to admit people faster if apps are down???

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:27 pm

Weirdlog wrote:
I don't understand how the drop in applications would SLOW down the cycle--wouldn't schools be more inclined to admit people faster if apps are down???


Other than CLS, auto-admits are still being accepted quickly. Well even there because there was a first wave. It's all the borderlines. Schools must know/see applications per person going up and know yield will be down this year.

artemis178
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:11 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby artemis178 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:30 pm

It actually makes perfect sense that the process would slow down or even stop right now, don't you think? The top schools just had their application deadline pass last week. No doubt they were inundated with hundreds (or in some cases, thousands) of applications. It takes time to process these files. I know it's got to be hard for those of you who submitted applications early last fall, but I think we've got to take schools seriously when they give a deadline of April 15th. Getting news sooner than that should be considered a lucky break.

Looking at ASW dates can help you get a little better sense of dates if you're really anxious though. You can surmise that most of the acceptances for any given school will be sent out no later than two weeks before the scheduled ASW weekend (i.e. Yale's decisions have to made no later than April 1st, Duke's decisions have to be made no later than March 11th, and so forth).

Beyond that, however, we can't know much so it seems like a waste of time and energy to hold our collective breath every day.
Last edited by artemis178 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
LinzerTorte
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:06 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby LinzerTorte » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:37 pm

artemis178 wrote:It actually makes perfect sense that the process would slow down or even stop right now, don't you think? The top schools just had their application deadline pass last week. No doubt they were inundated with hundreds (or in some cases, thousands) of applications. It takes time to process these files. I know it's got to be hard for those of you who submitted applications early last fall, but I think we've got to take schools seriously when they give a deadline of April 15th. Getting news sooner than that should be considered a lucky break.

Looking at ASW dates can help you get a little better sense of dates if you're really anxious (and sometimes I am!) though. You can surmise that most of the acceptances for any given school will be sent out no later than two weeks before the scheduled ASW weekend (i.e. Duke's decisions have to be made no later than March 11th, and so forth).

Beyond that, however, we can't know much so it seems like a waste of time and energy to hold our collective breath every day. At least I can't do it anymore . . . ;)


Haha, Yale's deadline hasn't even hit yet.

I'M GONNA DO IT GUYS, JUST WATCH ME

JeNeRegretteRien
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby JeNeRegretteRien » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:39 pm

Weirdlog wrote:
JeNeRegretteRien wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
It feels like the whole cycle just stalled for all the top schools.


It does feel that way. I wonder if people feel that way every year, or if the drop in applicants really has put the brakes on the cycle...


I don't understand how the drop in applications would SLOW down the cycle--wouldn't schools be more inclined to admit people faster if apps are down???


Not necessarily. The drop in apps may create more uncertainty about what the total applicant pool is going to look like, creating incentives to wait for more information. Option value and all that.

It's like poker: they're not sure what's going on so they "check" and wait for more information. Or they DO know what's going on, don't like their hand, and "check" and hope for better cards.

Edit for quote fail.

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby cardinals1989 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:44 pm

r6_philly wrote:
JeNeRegretteRien wrote:It does feel that way. I wonder if people feel that way every year, or if the drop in applicants really has put the brakes on the cycle...


It did not feel like this last year. It had a different feel. It seemed like every school was rushing to get decisions out because they were overwhelmed with the sheer number of applications.

This year however has been progressing really slowly. And a quick glance between all my facebook groups shows massive number of cross admits (below CCN though). I have no idea what's going on, and I don't really want to speculate. I wonder if they get some sort of metric during the cycle about cross admits. It feels like everyone is applying to 10+ schools (seems that way from that poll thread) and schools may be startled a bit on how many applicants there really are.

What if
- LSAT takers are down 10-15% while number of retakers increase 10-15%
- number of applications are down 10-15% while people on average apply to 10-15% more number of schools

What if the true number of applicants for this cycle is actually down 20-25%?

(profit)? :)


Your line of reasoning always gives me this false hope.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:47 pm

I am very interested in this - I worked as a number cruncher/analyst - so I dug around LSAC a bit.

One piece of interesting info: LSAC forum registration is down 27% year over year (12596 to 9188). There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest this year. But if I have to guess, the distribution of the lost applicants are probably skewed toward the lower end of the pool.

Another piece of info from 2009 trend report:

40% apply before 2nd week of Jan. 40% apply before 2nd week of March. 20% apply before mid-April. So the middle 50% applicants come between new year - 3/1.

It may be a coincident that many top schools twitted/blogged/gave waivers to encourage people to apply before the deadlines this past month, or the mid 50% rush was lackluster? I really wish I knew.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:48 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
Your line of reasoning always gives me this false hope.


I made software for data analysis. Not saying I am right AT ALL, but it's not just false hope.

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby cardinals1989 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:51 pm

r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
Your line of reasoning always gives me this false hope.


I made software for data analysis. Not saying I am right AT ALL, but it's not just false hope.


Not doubting you, and I truly hope you are right. I think it has just become a real drag to wait anymore at this point.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:52 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
Not doubting you, and I truly hope you are right. I think it has just become a real drag to wait anymore at this point.


It's made worse for me because I am pretty much twiddling my thumbs at work due to a long wait on a contract being approved by legal. Damn lawyers.

User avatar
Nulli Secundus
Posts: 2625
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:19 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby Nulli Secundus » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
Not doubting you, and I truly hope you are right. I think it has just become a real drag to wait anymore at this point.


It's made worse for me because I am pretty much twiddling my thumbs at work due to a long wait on a contract being approved by legal. Damn lawyers.


What if all those cross admits are different organisms with human appearance that have the ability to just make their own copies, thus they will be able to attend all the schools they got admitted to?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: genjustice, hellohalo, Keilz, Pugnax, ramp_999, sec_undergrad, spursforever, TriSapien and 20 guests