Yale 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
dot
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:13 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby dot » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:37 pm

And my app is off! Finally!

Edit: Hello 20th page!

User avatar
bkhopeful
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby bkhopeful » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:39 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:
nicola6 wrote:My app was received 1/4, and I just sent an email to see whether anything from my end (e.g. dean's cert) was holding it up. Got an auto-email back saying that they couldn't respond to individual queries. Do I call? Website says no calls, but auto-email said calling was OK. Not sure where that leaves me ...

(BTW: Undergraduate and graduate deans sent their certs in late October, more than a couple of months before I submitted my application.)

1) It takes a long time to receive an app completed e-mail.
2) That is an automatic response regarding the enquiries. FTR, I sent an enquiry regarding the Dean's Certs and in which cases I needed to send them, and they replied a few days later.

So I guess I wouldn't have e-mailed, but now that you have, I'd at least wait a couple days before calling.


My application was received 1/10 and I got an email this afternoon saying that it was INCOMPLETE. I called the admissions office, and it seems they never received my dean's cert, despite that my undergrad registrar confirmed sending it on 1/5. Anyhoo, they're sending another, but this is just to say that if yours was received 1/4 and you haven't heard anything negative, I wouldn't worry.

nicola6
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby nicola6 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:33 pm

bkhopeful wrote:
lzyovrachievr wrote:
nicola6 wrote:My app was received 1/4, and I just sent an email to see whether anything from my end (e.g. dean's cert) was holding it up. Got an auto-email back saying that they couldn't respond to individual queries. Do I call? Website says no calls, but auto-email said calling was OK. Not sure where that leaves me ...

(BTW: Undergraduate and graduate deans sent their certs in late October, more than a couple of months before I submitted my application.)

1) It takes a long time to receive an app completed e-mail.
2) That is an automatic response regarding the enquiries. FTR, I sent an enquiry regarding the Dean's Certs and in which cases I needed to send them, and they replied a few days later.

So I guess I wouldn't have e-mailed, but now that you have, I'd at least wait a couple days before calling.


My application was received 1/10 and I got an email this afternoon saying that it was INCOMPLETE. I called the admissions office, and it seems they never received my dean's cert, despite that my undergrad registrar confirmed sending it on 1/5. Anyhoo, they're sending another, but this is just to say that if yours was received 1/4 and you haven't heard anything negative, I wouldn't worry.



Thanks, bk and lzy - Since my post I received a brief but polite email from YLS saying that they would notify me whether my application was complete or not when they finished processing it.

I guess I was confused by the initial "application received" autoresponse, which says that they'll notify you when your application is complete but doesn't specify whether they'll tell you if it's woefully incomplete. I envisioned a Kafkaesque scenario wherein my application would just sit around, dean's-cert-less, and I would miss this cycle, pathetically oblivious and totally powerless.

I'll stop with the melodrama. Good luck, everyone!

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby tomwatts » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:38 pm

It does look as though they're about two weeks behind where they were last year; LSN's earliest rejection date for last cycle was Friday, 1/22, which is two weeks ago this coming Friday — which is when they're planning to start sending out rejections. What does this mean for this cycle? Well, the tweets and LSN-reported admits started to pick up in late February (2/23) last year. To be specific, 15 people were admitted between 12/11 and the 2/15 deadline (roughly two months), and 22 between 2/23 and 4/13 (roughly two months). Looking another way, there were 10 tweeted admit days before the deadline and 15 tweeted admit days after the deadline. Admittedly, that's not picking up as much as I thought, but it is picking up nonetheless.

The first round of admits after the deadline was on 2/23. That's a week after the submit deadline, so they finally had a full picture of all the applicants, though not all applicants were complete yet — but at least they had GPAs and, for people not taking the February test, LSAT scores. So they had a good picture of the numbers for at least 80% of their applicant pools, probably, given that roughly 17% of LSAT administrations are in February, and I'd assume that Yale applicants are, at the very least, not disproportionately late (repeat test-takers might skew that statistic, too — 17% of administrations are in February, but probably most of those are to people who have already taken the LSAT, so greater than 17% of applicants are still waiting on scores).

But with Yale's admissions process, does knowing the majority of the applicant pool actually matter? The reason for the higher number of admits after the deadline is probably just that they got more applications in January and February than in the preceding months. Law school admissions officers often say things like, "A majority of our applicants apply in January or later," so the pace might pick up just because of the volume of applications picks up. And it doesn't pick up by a great deal.

So does their being a couple of weeks behind (probably due to crazy blizzards) mean that everything will be slower this year, such that we can expect things to start picking up in early March instead of in late February? I'm speculating here, but I doubt it. I expect that they'll get caught back up fairly quickly and we'll rapidly return to the same timeline that we were on last year. Maybe this means that the pace will pick up sooner: as they try to get back on schedule, they'll be notifying more people than they normally would in the next couple of weeks.

After all, if they remained delayed by two weeks compared to where they were last year, they wouldn't have notifications done until, uh, the first week of May. And yeah, that's not going to happen. So they're going to start catching up soon, I imagine.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:40 pm

They should catch up because applications should be down this year. They should be able to move swiftly after 2/15. Plus the dean's certs requirement is sure to discourage at least some borderline candidates, further adding to the decline.

User avatar
Weirdlog
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby Weirdlog » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:43 pm

r6_philly wrote:They should catch up because applications should be down this year. They should be able to move swiftly after 2/15. Plus the dean's certs requirement is sure to discourage at least some borderline candidates, further adding to the decline.


Are applications really down at HYS? I know applications are down in general, but I'm not sure if that is the case at some of the top schools.

Saltqjibo
Posts: 271
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby Saltqjibo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:43 pm

Anyone know if deans certs have to be in by deadline? I'd like to apply, but I'm skeptical that all 3 will get there in time.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby tomwatts » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:48 pm

Saltqjibo wrote:Anyone know if deans certs have to be in by deadline? I'd like to apply, but I'm skeptical that all 3 will get there in time.

They do not. Asha just tweeted: "Getting lots of questions about the deadline. 2/15 is the deadline to submit your app via LSAC. Your remaining materials... (dean's certs, etc.) should be sent ASAP, but can be sent after 2/15."

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:52 pm

Weirdlog wrote:
r6_philly wrote:They should catch up because applications should be down this year. They should be able to move swiftly after 2/15. Plus the dean's certs requirement is sure to discourage at least some borderline candidates, further adding to the decline.


Are applications really down at HYS? I know applications are down in general, but I'm not sure if that is the case at some of the top schools.


Statistically makes sense.

piilehua
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby piilehua » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:38 pm

:!:
Last edited by piilehua on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shloime
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:19 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby Shloime » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi All! Any Yalies or admitted applicants willing to review my 250?

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby jd20132013 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:10 pm

Shloime wrote:Hi All! Any Yalies or admitted applicants willing to review my 250?


I came in here to ask the same question :lol:

Anyone?

intheend
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby intheend » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:15 pm

Pm away!

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby cardinals1989 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:19 pm

I think I'll be writing my 250 this weekend and submitting by the beginning to middle of next week. Here goes another one..

Top14Hope
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby Top14Hope » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:54 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Sorry Yale. hahahahahhahahahahahahahaahahahahahaha

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby arism87 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:55 pm

Top14Hope wrote:http://www.cooley.edu/rankings/overall2008.htm#rank

Sorry Yale. hahahahahhahahahahahahahaahahahahahaha


What IS that?!??!

Top14Hope
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby Top14Hope » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:03 pm

arism87 wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:http://www.cooley.edu/rankings/overall2008.htm#rank

Sorry Yale. hahahahahhahahahahahahahaahahahahahaha


What IS that?!??!


It's funny. That's about all.

Well, it's also the free-market at its finest.

jcn4
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:41 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby jcn4 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:54 pm

Some factors they use in their rankings:

Total J.D. Enrollment
Total Law School Square Footage

.
.
.

Library Seating Capacity

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:58 pm

jcn4 wrote:Some factors they use in their rankings:

Total J.D. Enrollment
Total Law School Square Footage

.
.
.

Library Seating Capacity


That's important when you have a large enrollment. I heard at Harvard you have to pick even and odd numbers in the library, so 2 people can alternately use the same seat minute by minute.

:D

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby arism87 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:32 am

jcn4 wrote:Some factors they use in their rankings:

Total J.D. Enrollment
Total Law School Square Footage

.
.
.

Library Seating Capacity


So many of their criteria are library-related that the Library of Congress could probs rank higher than Cooley on that ranking. Still TTT, my friend.

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby jd20132013 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:03 pm

writing this Yale 250 is weirdly entertaining, trying to pack so much into a short piece.


almost makes me forget how it's literally my future :shock: :x :D

7ED
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby 7ED » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:14 pm

I like how the rankings are compiled by two Cooley faculty/administrators, and how they start off in their homepage complaining bout how rankings aren't a fair determinant.

"rankings are evil, thats why u shouldn't look at USN rankings. But look at these other rankings instead!"

123kl
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby 123kl » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:35 pm

Ah... the Yale thread... on the third page...

Didn't Asha say there would be calls this week? No one on here, I presume?

User avatar
Weirdlog
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby Weirdlog » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:38 pm

123kl wrote:Ah... the Yale thread... on the third page...

Didn't Asha say there would be calls this week? No one on here, I presume?


She often calls around 5 PM--and sometimes on Saturdays, too.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby tomwatts » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:30 pm

I would expect a tweet about admit calls tomorrow, based on prior statements. Kind of expecting a big day, for the reasons indicated near the top of this page. Might be Sunday or Monday, though, and it might be small. But I'm betting Saturday, and at least a couple of TLS/LSN people.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, alex114, Automotomayor, charmonster, chili_davis, Google [Bot], joezze, jtawil, laowhynot109, lawcapture, lillawyer2, mccracal, NotAGolfer, pandaaa, Pugnax, sp5000 and 33 guests