Yale 2011 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tomwatts

Gold

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Post by tomwatts » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:Not that it could realistically happen, but what if 400 must-haves apply in chronological order, and they can only admit 300?
She's said elsewhere that there are typically 60 presumptive admits per year. So I think they're not really worried about the number of presumptive admits spiking out of control ever.
r6_philly wrote:I think they are working on the experience that they will NEVER encounter more must-haves than they have spaces for. So if you are a must-have, you will get admitted, the rest goes through the faculty review process more or less at the same time, and they usually don't have enough 12's to fill the class, so the remaining will be viewed together and offered seats together.

So while it practically is a rolling process, their standard is so high that if you are good enough you will always get a seat.
I think you're right. I think they've said that they always dig into the 11 stack and admit most of them, too. I imagine that 11's get admitted later than 12's do, though. They probably finish admitting the 12's and then dig into the 11's.

So I guess it's likely that those people last year who applied in October/November but were accepted in April were faculty review 11's who there happened to be space for. It seems, and I'm speculating here, that that category (faculty review 11's) would hear back absolutely last of everyone who's outright admitted.

But heck, faculty review 12's might not hear back until sometime in March even for the relatively early applicants, so I don't know that we can read anything into anything until the beginning of April — at which point it's just a matter a week or two before you hear the final decision anyway, so it hardly matters.

hoopla14

New

Post by hoopla14 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Just sent in my app today on the theory that I'm not harmed by sending it in months after my other apps. Now the waiting...

Serge

New

Post by Serge » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:56 am

Just wanted to thank the kind people in this thread for bringing the fact that Yale requires a Dean's Certificate to my attention - I thought Stanford was the only one. :)

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:53 pm

Gah! The latest Twitter update is interesting but not terribly helpful. What ever happened to that promise to return the first week of January with more good news?!

JeNeRegretteRien

New

Post by JeNeRegretteRien » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:00 pm

tgir wrote:Gah! The latest Twitter update is interesting but not terribly helpful. What ever happened to that promise to return the first week of January with more good news?!
I know, right!? I guess no news is good news - the dream can live on...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:02 pm

tgir wrote:Gah! The latest Twitter update is interesting but not terribly helpful. What ever happened to that promise to return the first week of January with more good news?!
I really hope you get in!

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:15 pm

Knock wrote:
I really hope you get in!
Thanks! Same to you for Stanford!

dianaw

New

Post by dianaw » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:39 pm

omggg app received 11/29 and still no completion email! I'm going crazy...

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:40 pm

dianaw wrote:omggg app received 11/29 and still no completion email! I'm going crazy...
Wow, what the heck is going on at the YLS admissions office?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pennyloafer17

New

Post by pennyloafer17 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:53 pm

dianaw wrote:omggg app received 11/29 and still no completion email! I'm going crazy...
That seems too long...you might think about emailing them

intheend

New

Post by intheend » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:19 pm

pennyloafer17 wrote:
That seems too long...you might think about emailing them
Or even calling them?

eaa1537

Bronze

Post by eaa1537 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:26 pm

Yeah I'd definitely contact them to see if you're missing the dean's certificate or something, I was application received 12/10 and went complete 1/7.

supahstahxruv

Bronze

Post by supahstahxruv » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:27 pm

is there a general length of time that we should wait before contacting them to see if they've received our app? I'm about to hit the 2-week mark and just want to make sure everything is sorted before february :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:52 am

Sadly, I am still considering whether I want to send in a Yale app. Dean Asha's blog is so awesome it kind of makes me want to apply....but I feel like I might be wasting my money. I keep going back and forth..ahhh.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:54 am

cardinals1989 wrote:Sadly, I am still considering whether I want to send in a Yale app. Dean Asha's blog is so awesome it kind of makes me want to apply....but I feel like I might be wasting my money. I keep going back and forth..ahhh.
Might as well send it in. You can join me in waiting, I just sent in my application last week.

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:57 am

Knock wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:Sadly, I am still considering whether I want to send in a Yale app. Dean Asha's blog is so awesome it kind of makes me want to apply....but I feel like I might be wasting my money. I keep going back and forth..ahhh.
Might as well send it in. You can join me in waiting, I just sent in my application last week.
That way we can commiserate about all three of HYS stringing us along. :lol: Really, I think the app fee is the only thing holding me back, since I already have an idea for my 250 essay. I keep wishing that I will get a HS acceptance so I won't think about it anymore.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:05 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
Knock wrote:
That way we can commiserate about all three of HYS stringing us along. :lol: Really, I think the app fee is the only thing holding me back, since I already have an idea for my 250 essay. I keep wishing that I will get a HS acceptance so I won't think about it anymore.
Exactly :). Just do it! Yale admissions is so black box anyways.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:09 am

Buddies!!!

WayBryson

Bronze

Post by WayBryson » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:50 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
Knock wrote:
The blog. Word. I think I would happily pay the application fee just to send a 250-word essay describing the various ways in which Admissions could spend my application fee decorating the office and a personal statement describing a personal revelation surrounding "tablescapes."

I am applying with a 3.78 and a 168 LSAT. If you have the money, then go for it if you think there is even the slightest chance. At the very least your money will be going to a group of awesome people ;-)

Fans of the blog might like this as well: http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/prawfsblaw ... e-law.html
I did some searching after one of Dean Rangappa's posts referred to buzz in the legal blogosphere over her post on law zombies. She gets on the thread in the comments section, and it is very entertaining.

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:09 am

r6_philly wrote:Buddies!!!
New threads to terrorize spread law school enthusiasm through!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:13 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Buddies!!!
New threads to terrorize spread law school enthusiasm through!
2 months until ASWs and the end of regular decisions, there is a lot of enthusiasm to be spread!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ebeth

Bronze

Post by ebeth » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:18 pm

WayBryson wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
Knock wrote:
The blog. Word. I think I would happily pay the application fee just to send a 250-word essay describing the various ways in which Admissions could spend my application fee decorating the office and a personal statement describing a personal revelation surrounding "tablescapes."

I am applying with a 3.78 and a 168 LSAT. If you have the money, then go for it if you think there is even the slightest chance. At the very least your money will be going to a group of awesome people ;-)

Fans of the blog might like this as well: http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/prawfsblaw ... e-law.html
I did some searching after one of Dean Rangappa's posts referred to buzz in the legal blogosphere over her post on law zombies. She gets on the thread in the comments section, and it is very entertaining.
Thanks for posting that link! Asha is ridiculously clever/witty/hilarious. And I'm not saying that because she sometimes reads this thread.

politico2011

New

Post by politico2011 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:29 pm

If you had to guess, when would the next wave(s) of acceptances come out?

almightypush

Bronze

Post by almightypush » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:57 pm

politico2011 wrote:If you had to guess, when would the next wave(s) of acceptances come out?
well, if my burnt offering was deemed acceptable, hopefully something this week...

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:08 pm

They're already later than my guess (I was expecting something last week). But I'm expecting just a trickle between now and the end of February. They'll start accepting for real once they have all the apps in (i.e. after the mid-Feb deadline) and they've processed most of them at least for numbers (i.e. late Feb/early March).

And the auto-rejects will get slammed starting in late Jan/early Feb.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”