Yale 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby yngblkgifted » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:27 pm

Xifeng wrote:I was waitlisted on Friday as well.

When do you think we need to email them the form by/how long are you all staying on the WL?


Not sure how long I'll stay or if I will even stay to be honest. But if I do plan on sending it, it will be tomorrow.

juliachild-ish
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby juliachild-ish » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:42 am

Okay, it's Monday. Please Yale, just give the rest of us some answers! I never thought I would be so eager to get a rejection...

sonervous88
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby sonervous88 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:56 am

juliachild-ish wrote:Okay, it's Monday. Please Yale, just give the rest of us some answers! I never thought I would be so eager to get a rejection...


+1 juliachild at what point do we call to see if the letters really did get lost? lol

standard
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:48 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby standard » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:05 pm

I was waitlisted on Friday. I hope to stay on the list until August.
The email which Yale sent suggested that the waitlist will contains less than 100 applications. Is this true?

juliachild-ish
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby juliachild-ish » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:09 pm

sonervous88 wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote:Okay, it's Monday. Please Yale, just give the rest of us some answers! I never thought I would be so eager to get a rejection...


+1 juliachild at what point do we call to see if the letters really did get lost? lol


I think I'll call on Wednesday or Thursday, since I have to pay a deposit elsewhere by Friday. Hopefully I'll hear something before then, since I know Yale gets annoyed by status check calls.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby d34d9823 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:09 pm

standard wrote:I was waitlisted on Friday. I hope to stay on the list until August.
The email which Yale sent suggested that the waitlist will contains less than 100 applications. Is this true?

No. There are over 9,000 people on the waitlist.

User avatar
mcweanis
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby mcweanis » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:10 pm

i wonder if that '100 applicants' is everyone that they invited to the waitlist, or just the people who chose to ride it? i imagine the latter, which means many of those who go to stanford or harvard instead dont count

User avatar
NikaneOkie
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby NikaneOkie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:14 pm

WL withdrawn
Hi Stanford =)

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:15 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:WL withdrawn
Hi Stanford =)


Nice! That is an excellent choice! :P

hoping
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby hoping » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:16 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:WL withdrawn
Hi Stanford =)

congrats on fninshing ur cycle! did u just get the email now?!

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby subtle » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:53 pm

mcweanis wrote:i wonder if that '100 applicants' is everyone that they invited to the waitlist, or just the people who chose to ride it? i imagine the latter, which means many of those who go to stanford or harvard instead dont count


Let's hope it's just the people to whom they offer the WL.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby d34d9823 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:57 pm

subtle wrote:
mcweanis wrote:i wonder if that '100 applicants' is everyone that they invited to the waitlist, or just the people who chose to ride it? i imagine the latter, which means many of those who go to stanford or harvard instead dont count


Let's hope it's just the people to whom they offer the WL.

Seeing as:

- they have no way of knowing when they send out the WL letters how many will stay on it
- since it's Yale, most people will stay on it

I think it's pretty certain that they are talking about the number of waitlist offers.

firefly789
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:10 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby firefly789 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:19 am

Does anyone know if YLS will be sending out further decisions by email or by mail? Do you think it's hopeless at this point?

I was waitlisted three years ago and have since become a comparatively much better applicant and fit for YLS, despite a chronic illness. I declined the waitlist back then in favor of attending Princeton for a small PhD program that pretty often sends students to YLS before finishing their dissertations back at P-ton. This year, I only applied to YLS (my application only went complete last week w/ Dean's Cert) in part because it's the only school with a faculty member who fits my particular dissertation research interests and because my partner is researching and collaborating at a different department at Yale next year. After some communication with faculty in his corresponding department at Yale, he's looking to be placed there in a tenure-track job the year after next. Ahh... the disappointment of a probable outright rejection this time around is devastating. It's hard to interpret the silence from YLS more optimistically... Is anyone else in a this kind of situation (super late app completion, partner situation, or prior waitlist)? I'm confused about being a better applicant this time around without any news... :( Also, the class size has since increased by ~25 since I last applied so I was feeling a lot more optimistic a few months ago.

I really hope the rest of you who haven't heard yet are hanging in there!

User avatar
mcweanis
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby mcweanis » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:45 pm

can you send additional lors by mail, or do you have to do it through lsac?

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby subtle » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:01 pm

mcweanis wrote:can you send additional lors by mail, or do you have to do it through lsac?



The email said that it could be sent directly to their office. I was wondering if this meant that it didn't need the accompanying form from the LSAC's website?

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby Xifeng » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:19 pm

.
Last edited by Xifeng on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby subtle » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:24 pm

Xifeng wrote:Did anyone get a response via email after sending in their request to stay on the WL?



I got an automated response after I emailed them. I'm not too panicked about it.

User avatar
mcweanis
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby mcweanis » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:33 pm

i think im actually going crazier now than i was before i got this WL, if that's possible. i was all ready to settle at nyu but now im like what? im a possible top 3 candidate? im getting my hopes up.. :oops:

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby subtle » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:42 pm

mcweanis wrote:i think im actually going crazier now than i was before i got this WL, if that's possible. i was all ready to settle at nyu but now im like what? im a possible top 3 candidate? im getting my hopes up.. :oops:


+ a million

User avatar
bkhopeful
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby bkhopeful » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:51 pm

has anyone who still hasn't heard anything from yale called to ask what's up?

juliachild-ish
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby juliachild-ish » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:28 pm

bkhopeful wrote:has anyone who still hasn't heard anything from yale called to ask what's up?


I haven't, but someone else on TLS did, and all they told her was that they hadn't made a decision on her yet and not to expect a decision until the end of April. End of April???! Sigh.

firefly789
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:10 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby firefly789 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:20 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:
bkhopeful wrote:has anyone who still hasn't heard anything from yale called to ask what's up?


I haven't, but someone else on TLS did, and all they told her was that they hadn't made a decision on her yet and not to expect a decision until the end of April. End of April???! Sigh.


juliachild-ish, did this person find out how she might be notified in late April? (ie. email, mail, phone call). Thanks and good luck!

sonervous88
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby sonervous88 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:37 pm

i know the situation julia child is referencing and that person could not get that answer. :)

firefly789
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:10 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby firefly789 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:20 pm

yeah, I suppose email would be the quickest and most humane way in most cases, but I don't know whether I should start obsessively checking my mailbox too.

User avatar
samsonyte16
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby samsonyte16 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:39 am

Rejected at 1am. Glad it's over.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”