Yale 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
abitaman6363
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:42 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby abitaman6363 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:49 pm

tgir wrote:
abitaman6363 wrote:I just got in : ) I never did receive a call but today I received the blue blinder with the acceptance letter. So excited!


Wait...what? No call?


I know. A little weird I thought! After being really excited I thought--Is this a joke? I then realized that none of my friends could make a binder that elaborate : )

I've been around my phone each day twitter messages went out about calls being made and never received a voicemail or email.

That's all okay by me by the way. I'm just thankful to finally get the packet. : )

User avatar
tgir
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:01 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby tgir » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:51 pm

abitaman6363 wrote:
tgir wrote:
abitaman6363 wrote:I just got in : ) I never did receive a call but today I received the blue blinder with the acceptance letter. So excited!


Wait...what? No call?


I know. A little weird I thought! After being really excited I thought--Is this a joke? I then realized that none of my friends could make a binder that elaborate : )

I've been around my phone each day twitter messages went out about calls being made and never received a voicemail or email.

That's all okay by me by the way. I'm just thankful to finally get the packet. : )


When did you go complete?

User avatar
abitaman6363
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:42 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby abitaman6363 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:54 pm

tgir wrote:
abitaman6363 wrote:
tgir wrote:
abitaman6363 wrote:I just got in : ) I never did receive a call but today I received the blue blinder with the acceptance letter. So excited!


Wait...what? No call?


I know. A little weird I thought! After being really excited I thought--Is this a joke? I then realized that none of my friends could make a binder that elaborate : )

I've been around my phone each day twitter messages went out about calls being made and never received a voicemail or email.

That's all okay by me by the way. I'm just thankful to finally get the packet. : )


When did you go complete?


I got the complete email on 10/29.

ACcommando
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:17 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby ACcommando » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:29 am

abitaman6363 wrote:I just got in : ) I never did receive a call but today I received the blue blinder with the acceptance letter. So excited!


Congrats!

User avatar
abitaman6363
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:42 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby abitaman6363 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:11 pm

ACcommando wrote:
abitaman6363 wrote:I just got in : ) I never did receive a call but today I received the blue blinder with the acceptance letter. So excited!


Congrats!


Thanks! Btw I wanted to follow-up. I did get a call from a Yale representative today asking me some question to match me up with a student there. I'm guessing this is so you have a contact for any further questions.

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted and good luck to everyone who's waiting on the phone call!

User avatar
dbrddr
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby dbrddr » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:24 pm

abitaman6363 wrote:...and good luck to everyone who's waiting on the phone call!


or just the binder, lol

User avatar
abitaman6363
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:42 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby abitaman6363 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:43 pm

dbrddr wrote:
abitaman6363 wrote:...and good luck to everyone who's waiting on the phone call!


or just the binder, lol


: )

I just received a call from Craig Janecek congratulating me on admissions. First, it was easily the most easy-going and exciting of law school phone calls. He also said he had tried contacting me before via phone/email.

Good luck to everyone!

notanumber
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby notanumber » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:27 pm

dbrddr wrote:
abitaman6363 wrote:...and good luck to everyone who's waiting on the phone call!


or just the binder, lol


FWIW, 99% of what is in the binder is also available in PDF form on the "admitted student docs" page of the YLS website.

Also, congrats on the acceptance abitaman6363!

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby tomwatts » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:32 am

I don't know if anyone's done this yet or even cares, but I was mildly curious, so here's some random data and analysis. Giant post, so skip to the bottom if you just want to read the interesting points.

If you take the days on which Yale tweeted that it was admitting people last year, and cross-reference that with LSN from last year, you get the following (complete date or submit date if asterisked, LSAT, GPA):

12/11 (Fri): 10/22, 179, 3.9
12/14 (Mon): 10/16, 173, 3.78
12/15 (Tues): No tweet, but a reported admit on LSN, a 10/24, 176, 3.95
12/18 (Fri): 11/4*, 175, 4
12/21 (Mon): No tweet, but a reported admit, a 10/31*, 178, 4.03
12/22 (Tues): Suddenly, five people. We had 11/4, 175, 3.95; 11/2*, 176, 3.86; 10/29*, 173, 4.03; 11/4, 173, 3.9, and 10/21, 172, 3.82. Tweet suggested that these were the final admits for the calendar year.

1/6 (Wed): No tweet, but a reported admit, a 10/9, 179, 3.83
1/12 (Tues): Tweet, but no LSN
1/22 ((Fri): First reported rejection, a 10/17, 174, 3.65
1/23 (Sat): 11/23, 172, 3.95
1/27 (Wed): A whole swath of rejections. Complete dates range from 10/27 to 12/18. Almost all of these people had either LSATs in the 160's or GPAs at 3.82 or lower (or both), though there were two exceptions.
1/30 (Sat): Rejections and acceptances on the same date, but almost all rejections. The one acceptance was a 12/2, 175, 3.98. The rejections ran complete dates from 10/22 to 12/17, and the numbers were more or less all across the board. Rejections continue in the same fashion throughout the rest of the cycle.

2/1 (Mon): Acceptances are 10/22, 175, 3.86, and a 1/19, 178, 3.96.
2/11 (Thurs): Tweet, but no LSN
2/12 (Fri): First LSN waitlist, eventually accepted! Was a 11/3, 173, 3.88.
Notably, only one other person on LSN reports hearing anything until 3/6.
2/23 (Tues): Tweet, but no LSN
2/24 (Wed): Tweet, but no LSN
2/28 (Sun): Tweet, but no LSN

3/6 (Sat): 2/1, 178, 4, and 1/11, 175, 4.04.
3/7 (Sun): 1/20, 173, 3.94, and 2/23, 177, 4.05, and 1/21, 176, 3.79.
3/10 (Wed): No tweet, but a reported admit, a 1/15, 176, 3.9
3/13 (Sat): 1/1*, 178, 3.93
3/15 (Mon): 2/11, 178, 3.92, and 1/17*, 177, 4.12; tweet makes first reference to rejection, but describes it as "again"
3/18-19 (Thurs-Fri) involved about a million more rejections.
3/20 (Sat): 1/19, 171, 3.8, and 1/8, 168, 4
3/22 (Mon): 11/16, 180, 3.79
3/23 (Tues): 11/18, 171, 3.97, and 11/16, 171, 3.91
3/25 (Thurs): No tweet, but a reported admit, a 1/8*, 171, 3.9
3/26 (Fri): 1/8, 178, 3.9, and 10/23, 179, 3.94
3/30 (Tues): Tweet, but no LSN
3/31 (Wed): 2/26, 176, 3.92, and 2/8*, 171, 3.94

4/12 (Mon): 3/12, 167, 3.73, and 3/11, 175, 3.91
4/13 (Tues): 3/9, 175, 3.8
A million waitlists and rejects on 4/15 (Thurs).
4/19 (Mon): tweet indicates that all initial admit, waitlist, reject decisions are done (waitlist is still to be figured out).

I could probably get more information from TLS's topic last year, but it's 140 pages, and I'm not THAT curious.

Analysis: First of all, not shockingly, earlier applicants tended to hear back sooner, and later applicants tended to hear back later. However, bizarrely (though admittedly we know why), this trend was not at all universal. Those two mid-November complete dates that were admitted in late March are distinctive. There are 37 outright admits on LSN, which accounts for probably about a quarter of the outright admits (not sure what percentage come in off waitlist vs. are admitted from the get-go, but I'm assuming the waitlist admits are dramatically fewer). So my feeling is that those two are actually out of a fair number. Heck, there was a 3/26 admit who was complete on 10/23 (person was waiting for more than 5 months but got admitted outright, not even waitlisted). So, as we say around here but now I've shown to my own satisfaction, if you applied early but don't hear back for a million years, you could very well still be admitted. But some people do hear back very quickly, and there doesn't seem to be a pattern in numbers, particularly.

Second, while there are admits on tweet days generally, there appear to be more on some days than on others. There were 5 LSN admits before the week of Christmas last year (that is, before 12/21), and then there were 6 total on 12/21 and 12/22. The tweet described it as wrapping up the year, which certainly does fit with the idea of more admits. For reference, this year, the Monday and Tuesday before Christmas are 12/20 and 12/21 (2-3 days from now). They do seem to be a little bit earlier this year (started on 12/6, did more on 12/7, 12/8, 12/10, and 12/13), so there may not be as many pushed to right before the break this year as there were last year, but we haven't heard anything for a week, so maybe there will be after all. Still, those of you who submitted in October or early November stand some chance of hearing back on Monday or Tuesday (though see the first point for caveats).

Third, if you're just waiting for the honor of being rejected by Yale, you'll have to wait at least until the end of January. We knew this already, too, but this is further reinforcement. If you're waiting for a waitlist, you may be waiting until mid-February.

Fourth, the general correspondence between tweets and LSN acceptances is interesting, and the exceptions are, too. The non-tweet acceptances are intriguing. Are those just errors are the parts of the LSN posters? Are those omissions on the part of YLS? If the latter, it's possible that you might get in without warning.

Fifth, YLS calls on Saturdays and Sundays starting in late January and continuing more or less through March. So you're never safe; YLS could sneak up on you when you least expect it. Evidently, Asha takes perverse pleasure in putting calls on other schools ASWs, so you get the call that you're in at Yale when you're on Harvard's campus, or the like. If I were an admissions dean, I would definitely do this, too.

User avatar
The Stig
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby The Stig » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:27 pm

tomwatts wrote:I don't know if anyone's done this yet or even cares, but I was mildly curious, so here's some random data and analysis. Giant post, so skip to the bottom if you just want to read the interesting points.

If you take the days on which Yale tweeted that it was admitting people last year, and cross-reference that with LSN from last year, you get the following (complete date or submit date if asterisked, LSAT, GPA):

12/11 (Fri): 10/22, 179, 3.9
12/14 (Mon): 10/16, 173, 3.78
12/15 (Tues): No tweet, but a reported admit on LSN, a 10/24, 176, 3.95
12/18 (Fri): 11/4*, 175, 4
12/21 (Mon): No tweet, but a reported admit, a 10/31*, 178, 4.03
12/22 (Tues): Suddenly, five people. We had 11/4, 175, 3.95; 11/2*, 176, 3.86; 10/29*, 173, 4.03; 11/4, 173, 3.9, and 10/21, 172, 3.82. Tweet suggested that these were the final admits for the calendar year.

1/6 (Wed): No tweet, but a reported admit, a 10/9, 179, 3.83
1/12 (Tues): Tweet, but no LSN
1/22 ((Fri): First reported rejection, a 10/17, 174, 3.65
1/23 (Sat): 11/23, 172, 3.95
1/27 (Wed): A whole swath of rejections. Complete dates range from 10/27 to 12/18. Almost all of these people had either LSATs in the 160's or GPAs at 3.82 or lower (or both), though there were two exceptions.
1/30 (Sat): Rejections and acceptances on the same date, but almost all rejections. The one acceptance was a 12/2, 175, 3.98. The rejections ran complete dates from 10/22 to 12/17, and the numbers were more or less all across the board. Rejections continue in the same fashion throughout the rest of the cycle.

2/1 (Mon): Acceptances are 10/22, 175, 3.86, and a 1/19, 178, 3.96.
2/11 (Thurs): Tweet, but no LSN
2/12 (Fri): First LSN waitlist, eventually accepted! Was a 11/3, 173, 3.88.
Notably, only one other person on LSN reports hearing anything until 3/6.
2/23 (Tues): Tweet, but no LSN
2/24 (Wed): Tweet, but no LSN
2/28 (Sun): Tweet, but no LSN

3/6 (Sat): 2/1, 178, 4, and 1/11, 175, 4.04.
3/7 (Sun): 1/20, 173, 3.94, and 2/23, 177, 4.05, and 1/21, 176, 3.79.
3/10 (Wed): No tweet, but a reported admit, a 1/15, 176, 3.9
3/13 (Sat): 1/1*, 178, 3.93
3/15 (Mon): 2/11, 178, 3.92, and 1/17*, 177, 4.12; tweet makes first reference to rejection, but describes it as "again"
3/18-19 (Thurs-Fri) involved about a million more rejections.
3/20 (Sat): 1/19, 171, 3.8, and 1/8, 168, 4
3/22 (Mon): 11/16, 180, 3.79
3/23 (Tues): 11/18, 171, 3.97, and 11/16, 171, 3.91
3/25 (Thurs): No tweet, but a reported admit, a 1/8*, 171, 3.9
3/26 (Fri): 1/8, 178, 3.9, and 10/23, 179, 3.94
3/30 (Tues): Tweet, but no LSN
3/31 (Wed): 2/26, 176, 3.92, and 2/8*, 171, 3.94

4/12 (Mon): 3/12, 167, 3.73, and 3/11, 175, 3.91
4/13 (Tues): 3/9, 175, 3.8
A million waitlists and rejects on 4/15 (Thurs).
4/19 (Mon): tweet indicates that all initial admit, waitlist, reject decisions are done (waitlist is still to be figured out).

I could probably get more information from TLS's topic last year, but it's 140 pages, and I'm not THAT curious.

Analysis: First of all, not shockingly, earlier applicants tended to hear back sooner, and later applicants tended to hear back later. However, bizarrely (though admittedly we know why), this trend was not at all universal. Those two mid-November complete dates that were admitted in late March are distinctive. There are 37 outright admits on LSN, which accounts for probably about a quarter of the outright admits (not sure what percentage come in off waitlist vs. are admitted from the get-go, but I'm assuming the waitlist admits are dramatically fewer). So my feeling is that those two are actually out of a fair number. Heck, there was a 3/26 admit who was complete on 10/23 (person was waiting for more than 5 months but got admitted outright, not even waitlisted). So, as we say around here but now I've shown to my own satisfaction, if you applied early but don't hear back for a million years, you could very well still be admitted. But some people do hear back very quickly, and there doesn't seem to be a pattern in numbers, particularly.

Second, while there are admits on tweet days generally, there appear to be more on some days than on others. There were 5 LSN admits before the week of Christmas last year (that is, before 12/21), and then there were 6 total on 12/21 and 12/22. The tweet described it as wrapping up the year, which certainly does fit with the idea of more admits. For reference, this year, the Monday and Tuesday before Christmas are 12/20 and 12/21 (2-3 days from now). They do seem to be a little bit earlier this year (started on 12/6, did more on 12/7, 12/8, 12/10, and 12/13), so there may not be as many pushed to right before the break this year as there were last year, but we haven't heard anything for a week, so maybe there will be after all. Still, those of you who submitted in October or early November stand some chance of hearing back on Monday or Tuesday (though see the first point for caveats).

Third, if you're just waiting for the honor of being rejected by Yale, you'll have to wait at least until the end of January. We knew this already, too, but this is further reinforcement. If you're waiting for a waitlist, you may be waiting until mid-February.

Fourth, the general correspondence between tweets and LSN acceptances is interesting, and the exceptions are, too. The non-tweet acceptances are intriguing. Are those just errors are the parts of the LSN posters? Are those omissions on the part of YLS? If the latter, it's possible that you might get in without warning.

Fifth, YLS calls on Saturdays and Sundays starting in late January and continuing more or less through March. So you're never safe; YLS could sneak up on you when you least expect it. Evidently, Asha takes perverse pleasure in putting calls on other schools ASWs, so you get the call that you're in at Yale when you're on Harvard's campus, or the like. If I were an admissions dean, I would definitely do this, too.



wow. this is a seriously awesome post.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby tomwatts » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:13 pm

Also:

* Of the 37 people who were outright admitted on LSN, 11 of them were in by the end of December. I assume that is non-representative, which means that LSN/TLS people are disproportionately early appliers and hear back disproportionately early.

* Combine that with the fact that 12/22 was the biggest day of YLS admits for LSN last year (5 admits then; second place was 3/7, with 3 admits, and no other day had more than 2), and I think we're in for a big day on Monday or Tuesday (or both).

User avatar
Raramuri415
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:19 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby Raramuri415 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:29 am

tomwatts wrote:I don't know if anyone's done this yet or even cares, but I was mildly curious, so here's some random data and analysis. Giant post, so skip to the bottom if you just want to read the interesting points.

If you take the days on which Yale tweeted that it was admitting people last year, and cross-reference that with LSN from last year, you get the following (complete date or submit date if asterisked, LSAT, GPA):

12/11 (Fri): 10/22, 179, 3.9
12/14 (Mon): 10/16, 173, 3.78
12/15 (Tues): No tweet, but a reported admit on LSN, a 10/24, 176, 3.95
12/18 (Fri): 11/4*, 175, 4
12/21 (Mon): No tweet, but a reported admit, a 10/31*, 178, 4.03
12/22 (Tues): Suddenly, five people. We had 11/4, 175, 3.95; 11/2*, 176, 3.86; 10/29*, 173, 4.03; 11/4, 173, 3.9, and 10/21, 172, 3.82. Tweet suggested that these were the final admits for the calendar year.

1/6 (Wed): No tweet, but a reported admit, a 10/9, 179, 3.83
1/12 (Tues): Tweet, but no LSN
1/22 ((Fri): First reported rejection, a 10/17, 174, 3.65
1/23 (Sat): 11/23, 172, 3.95
1/27 (Wed): A whole swath of rejections. Complete dates range from 10/27 to 12/18. Almost all of these people had either LSATs in the 160's or GPAs at 3.82 or lower (or both), though there were two exceptions.
1/30 (Sat): Rejections and acceptances on the same date, but almost all rejections. The one acceptance was a 12/2, 175, 3.98. The rejections ran complete dates from 10/22 to 12/17, and the numbers were more or less all across the board. Rejections continue in the same fashion throughout the rest of the cycle.

2/1 (Mon): Acceptances are 10/22, 175, 3.86, and a 1/19, 178, 3.96.
2/11 (Thurs): Tweet, but no LSN
2/12 (Fri): First LSN waitlist, eventually accepted! Was a 11/3, 173, 3.88.
Notably, only one other person on LSN reports hearing anything until 3/6.
2/23 (Tues): Tweet, but no LSN
2/24 (Wed): Tweet, but no LSN
2/28 (Sun): Tweet, but no LSN

3/6 (Sat): 2/1, 178, 4, and 1/11, 175, 4.04.
3/7 (Sun): 1/20, 173, 3.94, and 2/23, 177, 4.05, and 1/21, 176, 3.79.
3/10 (Wed): No tweet, but a reported admit, a 1/15, 176, 3.9
3/13 (Sat): 1/1*, 178, 3.93
3/15 (Mon): 2/11, 178, 3.92, and 1/17*, 177, 4.12; tweet makes first reference to rejection, but describes it as "again"
3/18-19 (Thurs-Fri) involved about a million more rejections.
3/20 (Sat): 1/19, 171, 3.8, and 1/8, 168, 4
3/22 (Mon): 11/16, 180, 3.79
3/23 (Tues): 11/18, 171, 3.97, and 11/16, 171, 3.91
3/25 (Thurs): No tweet, but a reported admit, a 1/8*, 171, 3.9
3/26 (Fri): 1/8, 178, 3.9, and 10/23, 179, 3.94
3/30 (Tues): Tweet, but no LSN
3/31 (Wed): 2/26, 176, 3.92, and 2/8*, 171, 3.94

4/12 (Mon): 3/12, 167, 3.73, and 3/11, 175, 3.91
4/13 (Tues): 3/9, 175, 3.8
A million waitlists and rejects on 4/15 (Thurs).
4/19 (Mon): tweet indicates that all initial admit, waitlist, reject decisions are done (waitlist is still to be figured out).

I could probably get more information from TLS's topic last year, but it's 140 pages, and I'm not THAT curious.

Analysis: First of all, not shockingly, earlier applicants tended to hear back sooner, and later applicants tended to hear back later. However, bizarrely (though admittedly we know why), this trend was not at all universal. Those two mid-November complete dates that were admitted in late March are distinctive. There are 37 outright admits on LSN, which accounts for probably about a quarter of the outright admits (not sure what percentage come in off waitlist vs. are admitted from the get-go, but I'm assuming the waitlist admits are dramatically fewer). So my feeling is that those two are actually out of a fair number. Heck, there was a 3/26 admit who was complete on 10/23 (person was waiting for more than 5 months but got admitted outright, not even waitlisted). So, as we say around here but now I've shown to my own satisfaction, if you applied early but don't hear back for a million years, you could very well still be admitted. But some people do hear back very quickly, and there doesn't seem to be a pattern in numbers, particularly.

Second, while there are admits on tweet days generally, there appear to be more on some days than on others. There were 5 LSN admits before the week of Christmas last year (that is, before 12/21), and then there were 6 total on 12/21 and 12/22. The tweet described it as wrapping up the year, which certainly does fit with the idea of more admits. For reference, this year, the Monday and Tuesday before Christmas are 12/20 and 12/21 (2-3 days from now). They do seem to be a little bit earlier this year (started on 12/6, did more on 12/7, 12/8, 12/10, and 12/13), so there may not be as many pushed to right before the break this year as there were last year, but we haven't heard anything for a week, so maybe there will be after all. Still, those of you who submitted in October or early November stand some chance of hearing back on Monday or Tuesday (though see the first point for caveats).

Third, if you're just waiting for the honor of being rejected by Yale, you'll have to wait at least until the end of January. We knew this already, too, but this is further reinforcement. If you're waiting for a waitlist, you may be waiting until mid-February.

Fourth, the general correspondence between tweets and LSN acceptances is interesting, and the exceptions are, too. The non-tweet acceptances are intriguing. Are those just errors are the parts of the LSN posters? Are those omissions on the part of YLS? If the latter, it's possible that you might get in without warning.

Fifth, YLS calls on Saturdays and Sundays starting in late January and continuing more or less through March. So you're never safe; YLS could sneak up on you when you least expect it. Evidently, Asha takes perverse pleasure in putting calls on other schools ASWs, so you get the call that you're in at Yale when you're on Harvard's campus, or the like. If I were an admissions dean, I would definitely do this, too.


Honestly, its really nice to see that someone is as anxious as I am, but is able to channel that energy in a constructive (although time consuming) manner. An example to us all. This post=beast.

User avatar
WhatSarahSaid
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:21 am

Yale's Twitter, 38 minutes ago: "We're starting the week with a round of admit calls."

User avatar
PolarBear
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:48 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby PolarBear » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:02 pm

Raramuri415 wrote:Honestly, its really nice to see that someone is as anxious as I am, but is able to channel that energy in a constructive (although time consuming) manner. An example to us all. This post=beast.


I'm fairly certain tomwatts isn't even applying to law school (at least anytime soon, from what I read), so it's even more kind of him to compile that list of information! (Even though I'm not applying for a couple of years, it's still interesting information!)

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby tomwatts » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:15 pm

No word from TLS/LSN as yet, which is pretty consistent with last year (only 1 on the Monday, 5 on the Tuesday). So my call for a big day tomorrow still stands as yet.

This investigation and prediction thing is fun for me. I'm glad that others find it useful for me to share my findings. :D

User avatar
doppelganger
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:27 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby doppelganger » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:14 pm

.
Last edited by doppelganger on Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:20 pm

doppelganger wrote:Having major anxiety. Do not know why I applied, at this point. My 250 is definitely missing a comma, and my formatting was off (to put it mildly).

Anyone else in this boat? In an effort to check it and re-check it, I mixed up my files and attached the pre-edited files. This is what attempting perfection gets you: a sloppy mess.

February ding, please come swiftly. :?


I attached the wrong PS and DS completely. Not to Yale though, but I sympathize. The way I look at it, if you could get in, you probably do despite it; if you don't have it, it probably won't matter if you didn't.

muppet263
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:19 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby muppet263 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:44 pm

Yale Twitter, 10 minutes ago:

"Making the last offers of the year."

private_ryan
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby private_ryan » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:41 pm

tomwatts wrote:No word from TLS/LSN as yet, which is pretty consistent with last year (only 1 on the Monday, 5 on the Tuesday). So my call for a big day tomorrow still stands as yet.

This investigation and prediction thing is fun for me. I'm glad that others find it useful for me to share my findings. :D


this just goes to show how skewed/self-selected the pool at LSN is. 37 admits for yale last year? thats less than 20% of all those they admitted. basing chances off of that pool is laughable.

The Real Jack McCoy
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:12 pm

private_ryan wrote:
tomwatts wrote:No word from TLS/LSN as yet, which is pretty consistent with last year (only 1 on the Monday, 5 on the Tuesday). So my call for a big day tomorrow still stands as yet.

This investigation and prediction thing is fun for me. I'm glad that others find it useful for me to share my findings. :D


this just goes to show how skewed/self-selected the pool at LSN is. 37 admits for yale last year? thats less than 20% of all those they admitted. basing chances off of that pool is laughable.


More than 10% of total acceptances is far more than one needs for a representative sample. The issue is whether there are biases in the sample (yes, there are).

JeNeRegretteRien
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby JeNeRegretteRien » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:44 pm

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:
private_ryan wrote:
tomwatts wrote:No word from TLS/LSN as yet, which is pretty consistent with last year (only 1 on the Monday, 5 on the Tuesday). So my call for a big day tomorrow still stands as yet.

This investigation and prediction thing is fun for me. I'm glad that others find it useful for me to share my findings. :D


this just goes to show how skewed/self-selected the pool at LSN is. 37 admits for yale last year? thats less than 20% of all those they admitted. basing chances off of that pool is laughable.


More than 10% of total acceptances is far more than one needs for a representative sample. The issue is whether there are biases in the sample (yes, there are).



The Real Jack McCoy beat me to the punch, and I agree with him on sample size.

Tomwatts put a lot of work into that post that he didn't have to - it was helpful and super generous. Thanks!

In reality, the LSN sample may or may not show skew, and that skew may or may not be a problem. The fact that the sample is, well, a sample (i.e. smaller than the complete set) doesn't mean it is, therefore, skewed. And if it were, that wouldn't necessarily mean it couldn't make helpful predictions.

Because LSN is self-selecting, there probably is some sort of skew, but it's hard to know for sure if it's material. Given how different people are and how different their motivations for posting on LSN may be, the selection may actually be closer to random than we think. But the fact that the sample is 20% of the total doesn't make it clearly useless - that's actually a pretty large sample in most statistical circles. And samples with known skew are correctable.

Admittedly, even if we had 100% of the data-points, predicting actual outcomes for YLS is probably very tough to do using quantifiable data just because their admissions process is both so holistic and involves different applicants going to different faculty members who may themselves use different criteria for review that may also change over time. So there's a subjectivity in the process that makes it hard to predict.

But I'd argue that some data, even noisy data, is better than none. And even noisy predictions may be informative.

[edited for a typo and clarity]
Last edited by JeNeRegretteRien on Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bedefan
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:39 am

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby bedefan » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Apropos of nothing, I got my "application complete email" on Nov. 11, then a call a week later saying my UG had failed to fill out the Dean's cert. correctly. I sent a new copy to my UG; they apologized profusely. Around the first of December I checked with Yale, they said they still hadn't received the corrected copy. I called my UG, they admitted to forgetting to send the corrected copy, were apologetic, and mailed it. Checked with Yale and app was complete last week... A month after I got everything else in.

And yes, Yale admissions did tell me explicitly (I asked) that they would not submit my application for review until they had a correctly filled out copy of the Dean's Cert from my UG. Fair play to them, and let that be a warning to other people. A warning of what? I don't know. Of failing to follow up more neurotically with your UG than I did, perhaps.

No big deal, tho' it would've been nice to start the review process earlier on. But if I get dinged (strong possibility as with everyone) I guess I'll prob find out when most people do.

...Best of luck to all the lonelyhearts out there in internet land.

dianaw
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby dianaw » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:18 pm

i'm still waiting for a completion email, after I got the "received" email on 11/29...should i call them?

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby arism87 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:30 pm

dianaw wrote:i'm still waiting for a completion email, after I got the "received" email on 11/29...should i call them?


I got the received email on 12/3 and just got the completion email on Friday, FWIW

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:32 pm

dianaw wrote:i'm still waiting for a completion email, after I got the "received" email on 11/29...should i call them?


Did you have your dean's certification forms sent on time? That would hold you up.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cjsanders2, eageragnostic, EricDelgado, ginawwhan, mudiverse, pandaaa and 12 guests