Yale 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Alltheirsplendor

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby Alltheirsplendor » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:39 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
dcbound wrote:
tikiman6 wrote:How much does Yale utilize the WL anywho?

I heard that they narrow it down to 18 applicants, and then put them through a rigorous fight til the death series of battles somewhat like 'American Gladiators', except more bloody and with more clever trash talk.

I think something like two make it out.

I would hope there's an octagon involved.

Yup. And a ring of fire.

hope11

Postby hope11 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:12 am

aaaaand selling your sould for the next 1k years Catpain Sparrow style lol

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:45 am

So I'm guessing I'm looking at a WL at this point. (complete for over a month)

It may sound crazy but even if I got in after the ASW I probably wouldn't go, just because I feel like the ASW is critical in evaluating schools.

:/

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:10 am

I disagree. ASWs can be helpful or harmful depending on the agenda & on those who attend. ASDs can be a bit misleading. Better to rely on several decades of results than on a single day's activities & impressions &/or inclimate weather.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:23 am

Would you really go to a school sight unseen though? Even Yale.

Obviously you don't have to attend during ASW's but, I wouldn't have the money to fly up there any other time(assuming they have stipends like other T14s)

Of course this may all be moot and I may have a rejection letter in my mailbox today. Just saying

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:32 am

Yes. Yale, Stanford & Harvard among several others. ASWs or ASDs can be misleading. I would rather rely on decades of proven results.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:57 am

Eh.. why would anyone assume a waitlist at this point?

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:01 pm

i won't go ANYWHERE without seeing it first. i went to uchicago last weekend. i was going to go before i visited. now i'm not lol

Edit: there was nothing awful about uchicago. just wasn't my cup of tea. some people pm'ed asking why i hated it. just not where i'd want to live for three years.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:26 pm

suspicious android wrote:Eh.. why would anyone assume a waitlist at this point?

why not, worst thing that can happen is you're wrong. if you've had success at other closely ranked schools why not think the best

just the way I think I guess

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:40 pm

jd20132013 wrote:just the way I think I guess

Yeah, nothing wrong with a optimism, just making sure you weren't privy to some information that isn't widely available.

hope11

Postby hope11 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:58 pm

jd20132013 wrote:So I'm guessing I'm looking at a WL at this point. (complete for over a month)

It may sound crazy but even if I got in after the ASW I probably wouldn't go, just because I feel like the ASW is critical in evaluating schools.

LOL this is just borderlining on insane ^_^

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:06 pm

jd20132013 wrote:So I'm guessing I'm looking at a WL at this point. (complete for over a month)

I think its better to go when its not ASW, then you're not getting all the facade.

Ashlaw

Postby Ashlaw » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:25 pm

YLS saw a 17% drop in apps this year. I am not sure if this helps or hurts our chances.

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:28 pm

How could it hurt?

Zabini

Postby Zabini » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:24 pm

Shloime wrote:How could it hurt?

False hope

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:46 pm

Those of us who were hoping to get in on our bullshitting ability will now face a higher level of scrutiny. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ashlaw

Postby Ashlaw » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:25 pm

The general applicant pool is down, but that doesn't mean the number of top scoring folks have declined. It may just be that those who strolled into law as a default career path after college is now thinking twice about it (they usually score around the median). Yale only needs like 300 of 170/3.9 with their yield rate to fill their class, and I am not convinced that the competition has gotten more merciful.

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:32 pm

But the above wouldn't explain how the decrease in applicants would make the competition stiffer.

Ashlaw

Postby Ashlaw » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:42 pm

Shloime wrote:But the above wouldn't explain how the decrease in applicants would make the competition stiffer.

I don't think anyone said that. Saying that Yale's competition decreased by that factor alone is like saying "I used to be deathly, morbidly obese, but now I am only morbidly obese."
Yale is competitive.

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:45 pm

Ashlaw wrote:
Shloime wrote:But the above wouldn't explain how the decrease in applicants would make the competition stiffer.

I don't think anyone said that. Saying that Yale's competition decreased by that factor alone is like saying "I used to be deathly, morbidly obese, but now I am only morbidly obese."
Yale is competitive.

Well, I was just responding all along to your suggestion that the decrease in applicants may "hurt our chances."

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:48 pm

Also, people who believe they are borderline can gain some hope that the (possibly) slightly easier competition will make the difference. :mrgreen:

thecynic69

Postby thecynic69 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:00 am

Shloime wrote:
Ashlaw wrote:

Yale is competitive.

Well, I was just responding all along to your suggestion that the decrease in applicants may "hurt our chances."

So I want to begin by saying that this isn't supposed to be confrontational, but rather a silly way for me to working on my thesis:

Cynic's makeshift list of how less apps might hurt:
1) the less bad applicants there are, the less likely it is that the adcom will read my file after a bad file (making me look baller), and the more likely it is the adcom will read my app after a 4.0/180/triple minority applicant who has a solid plan for peace in the middle east (betraying me to be the mediocre applicant I am)
1*) the less bad applicants, the better the average applicant, and the worse I am relative to the average applicant; even if the same number of apps are accepted, the adcoms perception of my app is negatively affected.
2) the less applicants there are, the more time the adcom has to spend on any one file, giving the adcom time to realize I don't actually deserve to go to their awesome school
3) the drop in applicants is certainly not spread evenly among classes of applicants (those in undergrad, those interested in this subject or that subject, etc.)--if whatever class of applicant you are in did not see a drop in applicants, members of classes of applicants that did see a drop in applicants have a comparative advantage over you (in so far as Yale wants to build a diverse class).
4) perhaps our assumption that the class size will be the same as last year is flawed, and less applicants means a smaller class; given the current number of accepted students, our probability [in an epistemic sense] that we still in Yale purgatory will be admitted is potentially lower [that is to say that it didn't actually hurt us, but there is perhaps cause for more pessimism at this late date than there would otherwise be...this one is a stretch, I know].
5) the less applicants there are, the less data comes out regarding acceptances/rejections on TLS and other online forums, and consequently the less information we have; less information is bad.
6) the less applicants there are, the less people there are to do stupid things like this.
Last edited by thecynic69 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alltheirsplendor

Postby Alltheirsplendor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:05 am

Have faith. You're an URM with stellar numbers. I'm also under the impression--from your posts--that you're a super nice guy too. I've been secretly cheerin' for ya so I'm crossing my fingers as hard as I can. Bonne chance!

afLSAT

Postby afLSAT » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:57 am

thecynic69 wrote:
Shloime wrote:
Ashlaw wrote:

Yale is competitive.

So I want to begin by saying that this isn't supposed to be confrontational, but rather a silly way for me to working on my thesis:

1) the less bad applicants there are, the less likely it is that the adcom will read my file after a bad file (making me look baller), and the more likely it is the adcom will read my app after a 4.0/180/triple minority applicant who has a solid plan for peace in the middle east (betraying me to be the mediocre applicant I am)
1*) the less bad applicants, the better the average applicant, and the worse I am relative to the average applicant; even if the same number of apps are accepted, the adcoms perception of my app is negatively affected.
2) the less applicants there are, the more time the adcom has to spend on any one file, giving the adcom time to realize I don't actually deserve to go to their awesome school
3) the drop in applicants is certainly not spread evenly among classes of applicants (those in undergrad, those interested in this subject or that subject, etc.)--if whatever class of applicant you are in did not see a drop in applicants, members of classes of applicants that did see a drop in applicants have a comparative advantage over you (in so far as Yale wants to build a diverse class).
4) perhaps our assumption that the class size will be the same as last year is flawed, and less applicants means a smaller class; given the current number of accepted students, our probability [in an epistemic sense] that we still in Yale purgatory will be admitted [that is to say that it didn't actually hurt us, but there is perhaps cause for more pessimism at this late date than there would otherwise be...this one is a stretch, I know].
5) the less applicants there are, the less data comes out regarding acceptances/rejections on TLS and other online forums, and consequently the less information we have; less information is bad.
6) the less applicants there are, the less people there are to do stupid things like this.

i'm totally with you except that less ≠ fewer :)

subtle

Postby subtle » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:38 am

afLSAT wrote:
thecynic69 wrote:
Shloime wrote:
Ashlaw wrote:I don't think anyone said that. Saying that Yale's competition decreased by that factor alone is like saying "I used to be deathly, morbidly obese, but now I am only morbidly obese."
Yale is competitive.

4) perhaps our assumption that the class size will be the same as last year is flawed, and less applicants means a smaller class; given the current number of accepted students, our probability [in an epistemic sense] that we still in Yale purgatory will be admitted [that is to say that it didn't actually hurt us, but there is perhaps cause for more pessimism at this late date than there would otherwise be...this one is a stretch, I know].

i'm totally with you except that less ≠ fewer :)

:lol: +1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”