Yale 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tgir

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Postby tgir » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:09 am

ams wrote:Good point. Although I think all the dings ITT this week have been postmarked March 15. Of course, I will still be checking the mail...

Yeah, I personally won't feel safe until Tuesday is over.

tgir

Postby tgir » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:14 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
tgir wrote:Yeah, I meant acceptances. Like you say, it's been a LONG time since they've admitted anyone, and there's just not much time left in the cycle.

With regard to the batches, it's entirely possible that the larger batches (mid-Feb, mid-March, mid-April) are made up of a few mini-batches amounting to a trickle, so like some mailed on March 15th, some on the 16th, etc. In other words, those of us without dings at this point might still be getting them next week.

My conjecture is that they are done with almost all of the auto-admits and everyone not dinged is in the marginal pile. Once they have every app through the process, they will decide which marginal apps are getting admitted.

I think that's probably right.

I would guess that all of Asha's auto-admits and most of her auto-rejects are done at this point (except for maybe a few people who applied right at the deadline). Moreover, I would guess that most of the remaining files have gone through faculty review (again, except for the most recently submitted ones), and that those who scored 12's will be hearing very shortly, if they haven't already heard in one of the earlier calling sprees. Finally, I would guess that Asha and her staff are soon going to be reevaluating all the files with 11's, deciding which ones will be admitted in April and which ones will be waitlisted around the same time.

Of course, this is all just wild guessing.

samsonyte16

Postby samsonyte16 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:08 am

FWIW, LSN is only showing two accepted applicants who applied after December 1. I think most of the top candidates from December-March are still waiting.

subtle

Postby subtle » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:29 am

tgir wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
tgir wrote:Yeah, I meant acceptances. Like you say, it's been a LONG time since they've admitted anyone, and there's just not much time left in the cycle.

With regard to the batches, it's entirely possible that the larger batches (mid-Feb, mid-March, mid-April) are made up of a few mini-batches amounting to a trickle, so like some mailed on March 15th, some on the 16th, etc. In other words, those of us without dings at this point might still be getting them next week.

My conjecture is that they are done with almost all of the auto-admits and everyone not dinged is in the marginal pile. Once they have every app through the process, they will decide which marginal apps are getting admitted.

I think that's probably right.

I would guess that all of Asha's auto-admits and most of her auto-rejects are done at this point (except for maybe a few people who applied right at the deadline). Moreover, I would guess that most of the remaining files have gone through faculty review (again, except for the most recently submitted ones), and that those who scored 12's will be hearing very shortly, if they haven't already heard in one of the earlier calling sprees. Finally, I would guess that Asha and her staff are soon going to be reevaluating all the files with 11's, deciding which ones will be admitted in April and which ones will be waitlisted around the same time.

This can't possibly be true, because that would make me a marginal candidate, and that's simply not the case.

Keeper1125

Postby Keeper1125 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:58 am

d34dluk3 wrote:

I don't think that's right at all. Essentially no one who applied during the second half of the cycle has been admitted. They're just taking their time because they can.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:12 am

Keeper1125 wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

I don't think that's right at all. Essentially no one who applied during the second half of the cycle has been admitted. They're just taking their time because they can.

5, possibly 6 of the recent rejections on LSN are January submissions. I would consider January as a part of the "second half of the cycle." So I think that while those of us who haven't heard back yet may very well be among the marginal applicants, there could be some people who were auto-admits, too, they just haven't started making those calls yet.

But I wouldn't feel safe for a couple more days either. :( In the Southeast, here. If someone has already heard in California, I should have heard by now, right?

tgir

Postby tgir » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:49 am

Keeper1125 wrote:I don't think that's right at all. Essentially no one who applied during the second half of the cycle has been admitted. They're just taking their time because they can.

True. What they really seem to be behind on is acceptances, not rejections.

The other problem, of course, is that Yale's acceptances are in such small trickles that many days with calls may not be represented on LSN at all.

ams

Postby ams » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:50 am

I went complete around mid-December so that makes me feel better that almost no one who submitted after December has been accepted. Of course maybe I would just prefer not to think of myself in the "marginal" category, but marginal at Yale is not too shabby.

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:55 am

i went complete around mid-december too. hence why i think my letter got lost. because unlike above poster i would be very surprised if with my stats i was even considered marginal lol

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:00 pm

Looking at LSN, there are only 2-3 who applied in February reporting rejections or acceptances, so I'm thinking they are probably still going through that pile.

ams

Postby ams » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:00 pm

I think the only things that have been getting lost this cycle are dean's certifications, not rejection letters :)

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:03 pm

ams wrote:I think the only things that have been getting lost this cycle are dean's certifications, not rejection letters :)

+1

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:26 pm

tgir wrote: I would guess that all of Asha's auto-admits and most of her auto-rejects are done at this point (except for maybe a few people who applied right at the deadline). Moreover, I would guess that most of the remaining files have gone through faculty review (again, except for the most recently submitted ones), and that those who scored 12's will be hearing very shortly, if they haven't already heard in one of the earlier calling sprees. Finally, I would guess that Asha and her staff are soon going to be reevaluating all the files with 11's, deciding which ones will be admitted in April and which ones will be waitlisted around the same time.

This sounds right to me. The word "marginal" doesn't really fit with Yale's process...You either get auto-admitted, auto-rejected, or sent to faculty review. Based on your faculty review score, you either get admitted, rejected, or waitlisted. I think the gray area is whether they can accept all the 11's or if they have to waitlist some, and if they have to waitlist some of the 10's.

Zabini

Postby Zabini » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:40 pm

jrose5 wrote:
ams wrote:I think the only things that have been getting lost this cycle are dean's certifications, not rejection letters :)

+1

lol yep

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:01 pm

Didn't get a rejection letter - I've never been so happy to not get mail. So I looked at how likely one is to get in via faculty review:

2013 application data

3800 applicants*0.25 = 950 go on to faculty review
255 offers - ~65 auto-admits (blog says 50-80): ~190 receive offers via faculty review

= ~20% acceptance rate

The numbers and ratios are from Dean Asha's blog on the admissions process/class of 2013 profile on the website.

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:05 pm

I very much appreciate the support guys! :)

hoping

Postby hoping » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:33 am

this may have been answered--if so, sorry for the redundancy! how does oen determine their "Score" 10-11-12...or is it s/t the admissions committee assigns to each applicant? thanks!

tgir

Postby tgir » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:43 am

hoping wrote:this may have been answered--if so, sorry for the redundancy! how does oen determine their "Score" 10-11-12...or is it s/t the admissions committee assigns to each applicant? thanks!

Three random members of the faculty review each file and give it a score of 2-4 on the basis of whatever factors they want; the total scores are just the sums, ranging from 6 to 12.

hoping

Postby hoping » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:44 am

tgir wrote:
hoping wrote:this may have been answered--if so, sorry for the redundancy! how does oen determine their "Score" 10-11-12...or is it s/t the admissions committee assigns to each applicant? thanks!

Three random members of the faculty review each file and give it a score of 2-4 on the basis of whatever factors they want; the total scores are just the sums, ranging from 6 to 12.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:49 am

Just wanted to let you guys know that I received my rejection letter in the mail today. In the southeast. Took a little longer to get here. Really glad I didn't allow myself to feel too hopeful about it because even then, I felt crappy for 5 minutes, but then made up my mind that it's a good thing I'm getting closer to being able to consider real options.

Best of luck you all! I've seen some really strong applicants on this thread and I think most of you had a better shot than I did.

tgir

Postby tgir » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:51 am

jrose5 wrote:Just wanted to let you guys know that I received my rejection letter in the mail today. In the southeast. Took a little longer to get here. Really glad I didn't allow myself to feel too hopeful about it because even then, I felt crappy for 5 minutes, but then made up my mind that it's a good thing I'm getting closer to being able to consider real options.

Best of luck you all! I've seen some really strong applicants on this thread and I think most of you had a better shot than I did.

Oh no! Sorry, man.

I guess the letters are still comin'....

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:55 am

tgir wrote:
jrose5 wrote:Just wanted to let you guys know that I received my rejection letter in the mail today. In the southeast. Took a little longer to get here. Really glad I didn't allow myself to feel too hopeful about it because even then, I felt crappy for 5 minutes, but then made up my mind that it's a good thing I'm getting closer to being able to consider real options.

Oh no! Sorry, man.

Indeed they are. The letter is postmarked 3/15, too.

Submitted 1/14, complete 1/31.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:56 am

tgir wrote:

Oh no! Sorry, man.

USPS is actually pretty bizarre as far as when letters mailed the same time actually arrive. I've had stuff from the East coast come as fast as 2 days and as slow as 10 days.

subtle

Postby subtle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:10 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
tgir wrote:

Oh no! Sorry, man.

USPS is actually pretty bizarre as far as when letters mailed the same time actually arrive. I've had stuff from the East coast come as fast as 2 days and as slow as 10 days.

Agreed. I still kind of want to know where mine is so I can stop having the most irrational hope I've ever had in my life. My friend lives in my town and got his on Thursday. Where is mine???

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:58 am

Twitter feed says admit calls will be made today and tomorrow. Good luck all!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”