Yale 2011 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tgir

Bronze

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Post by tgir » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:12 pm

From the Twitter account: "Just when you thought Saturday was safe... Lots of offers today."

Gah!!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:14 pm

tgir wrote:From the Twitter account: "Just when you thought Saturday was safe... Lots of offers today."

Gah!!
Lol wow, crazy. Good luck Tgir and other people with real shots!

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:40 pm

Knock wrote:
tgir wrote:From the Twitter account: "Just when you thought Saturday was safe... Lots of offers today."

Gah!!
lol what is "lots" for Yale? 5?

:)

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:42 pm

arism87 wrote:
Knock wrote:

Gah!!
lol what is "lots" for Yale? 5?

:)
Hahaha, yeah...maybe 10?

hjag

New

Post by hjag » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Hey all, I applied about a week ago and have yet to see a status checker! How long did it take you guys to get it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:45 pm

hjag wrote:Hey all, I applied about a week ago and have yet to see a status checker! How long did it take you guys to get it?
I don't think Y has a status checker. Correct me if i'm wrong though.

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:45 pm

hjag wrote:Hey all, I applied about a week ago and have yet to see a status checker! How long did it take you guys to get it?
Yale doesn't give anyone a status checker. :-(

hjag

New

Post by hjag » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:59 pm

tgir wrote:
Gosh, they sure like to be the different ones, don't they? Semi-rolling admissions + no status checker. I guess their No. 1 status warrants it...

Thanks for the reply, anyhoo. :D

Wannabelawyer101

New

Post by Wannabelawyer101 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:16 pm

hjag wrote:
tgir wrote:
Gosh, they sure like to be the different ones, don't they? Semi-rolling admissions + no status checker. I guess their No. 1 status warrants it...

Thanks for the reply, anyhoo. :D

You should get a complete e-mail though - mine took about 3-4 weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rm61

New

Post by rm61 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:23 pm

*Shakes fist at Twitter, false sense of comfort and silent cell phone *

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:27 pm

rm61 wrote:*Shakes fist at Twitter, false sense of comfort and silent cell phone *
+1

Zatarra

New

Post by Zatarra » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:46 pm

tgir wrote:
rm61 wrote:*Shakes fist at Twitter, false sense of comfort and silent cell phone *
+1

Sigh, the fact that YLS dings/waitlists a decent number of SLS+HLS admits makes me feel a tiny bit better about an increasingly likely YLS ding, but I still can't help thinking I screwed up my YLS app somehow!

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:49 pm

Zatarra wrote:
tgir wrote:
+1

Sigh, the fact that YLS dings/waitlists a decent number of SLS+HLS admits makes me feel a tiny bit better about an increasingly likely YLS ding, but I still can't help thinking I screwed up my YLS app somehow!
Yeah, I feel exactly the same way. It's just sort of maddening not to have any real insight into what their admissions criteria are.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

almightypush

Bronze

Post by almightypush » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:06 pm

tgir wrote:
+1
it's almost to the point where i'm angry at my phone for just... sitting there. *sigh* so sad.

rm61

New

Post by rm61 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:06 pm

almightypush wrote:
tgir wrote:
+1
it's almost to the point where i'm angry at my phone for just... sitting there. *sigh* so sad.
Agreed. And I wish they would define "lots." 2? 12?

hoopla14

New

Post by hoopla14 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:13 pm

Perhaps I should have known it wasn't possible because I haven't gotten the complete email yet, but I got a call from a 203 number today and had a quick panic attack before the person asked if I had a minute to answer some questions about my familiarity with the news. Not cool, random Connecticut survey givers.

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:17 pm

hoopla14 wrote:Perhaps I should have known it wasn't possible because I haven't gotten the complete email yet, but I got a call from a 203 number today and had a quick panic attack before the person asked if I had a minute to answer some questions about my familiarity with the news. Not cool, random Connecticut survey givers.
Wow. That would be awful.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Does anyone else think it strange that no one on TLS or LSN has reported a January admittance yet? I mean, Yale has had at least 3 days with admit calls in January.

Zatarra

New

Post by Zatarra » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:33 pm

tgir wrote:Does anyone else think it strange that no one on TLS or LSN has reported a January admittance yet? I mean, Yale has had at least 3 days with admit calls in January.
Agreed, although looking over LSN's data from last year, there didn't seem to be too many admits in the same early/mid-Jan time frame, and things kicked off a little later, so it's probably just a fluke. Either that, or they've outed all of us, and decided that, aside from those first admits, LSN/TLS participation is now a total deal breaker! :p

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:36 pm

Zatarra wrote:
tgir wrote:Does anyone else think it strange that no one on TLS or LSN has reported a January admittance yet? I mean, Yale has had at least 3 days with admit calls in January.
Agreed, although looking over LSN's data from last year, there didn't seem to be too many admits in the same early/mid-Jan time frame, and things kicked off a little later, so it's probably just a fluke. Either that, or they've outed all of us, and decided that, aside from those first admits, LSN/TLS participation is now a total deal breaker! :p
O_O Dear God...what have I done?!

almightypush

Bronze

Post by almightypush » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:02 pm

tgir wrote:
hoopla14 wrote:Perhaps I should have known it wasn't possible because I haven't gotten the complete email yet, but I got a call from a 203 number today and had a quick panic attack before the person asked if I had a minute to answer some questions about my familiarity with the news. Not cool, random Connecticut survey givers.
seriously... can't tell whether i would curse or cry in that situation. probably some embarrassing combination of the two.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dianaw

New

Post by dianaw » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:51 pm

almightypush wrote:
tgir wrote:
seriously... can't tell whether i would curse or cry in that situation. probably some embarrassing combination of the two.
I seriously hope this is not the case haha, as my username would be soooooo easy to crack......i knew I should've gone w/ a better pseudonym....

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:49 pm

If it helps, most Yale phone numbers go (203) 432-xxxx. At least that was the case when I was there a few years ago...

Zatarra

New

Post by Zatarra » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:05 pm

So, anyone know what Yale seems to prefer as far as LOCIs/App updates go? The original 'complete' email seemed to indicate inquiries and updates would be unhelpful, but did not address 'legitimate' updates. Of course, my situation isn't terribly different from late October, but I'd hate not to do everything conceivably possible! ;)

JeNeRegretteRien

New

Post by JeNeRegretteRien » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:34 pm

Zatarra wrote:So, anyone know what Yale seems to prefer as far as LOCIs/App updates go? The original 'complete' email seemed to indicate inquiries and updates would be unhelpful, but did not address 'legitimate' updates. Of course, my situation isn't terribly different from late October, but I'd hate not to do everything conceivably possible! ;)
The bottom line is that it's a tightrope, but if you do send an LOCI, only send ONE. http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... alker.aspx

You can probably get away with more than one genuine UPDATE, if they truly are UPDATES with materially new information (new LSAT score, major award, publication).

In the end, it depends on the candidate, the content of the LOCI/Update, and the art/tact with which it's done, and probably the timing. It can help, but it can also definitely hurt. AR seems skeptical, but clearly if they already like your candidacy, and the update / LOCI is material and well-executed, it can only help. If your candidacy is circling the drain, it may sink it, or it may save it, depending on the content and quality of the update.

It's like writing - most good writers should and do follow the stern and skeptical guidelines on style, but great writers often and necessarily don't. It just depends on the framing, the execution and, frustratingly, the result....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”