Yale 2011 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
notanumber

Bronze

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Post by notanumber » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:37 pm

Congratulations to everybody who has been accepted!

Jumping at every phone call whenever that twitter account posted was the most stressful thing imaginable last year. I'd suggest not following them, but I know that I'd never have taken my own advice.

For those of you who haven't applied yet: Don't get too worried about things. I didn't apply until January last year. I also had a couple of typos in my application, I mentioned "the law" several times in my application, and I had a much longer CV than is 'suggested' (though I suppose I fall under the academic exception). I think the key is to just send out an authentic application that showcases who you are, make sure you proofread it carefully, and don't get lost in the details.

Like Zabagabe, I'm happy to tell people why I chose YLS over HLS (and other very attractive options) if any cross admit want to PM me. Harvard has a lot going for it, and there are plenty of reasons to make the other decision.

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:50 am

notanumber wrote:Congratulations to everybody who has been accepted!

Jumping at every phone call whenever that twitter account posted was the most stressful thing imaginable last year. I'd suggest not following them, but I know that I'd never have taken my own advice.

For those of you who haven't applied yet: Don't get too worried about things. I didn't apply until January last year. I also had a couple of typos in my application, I mentioned "the law" several times in my application, and I had a much longer CV than is 'suggested' (though I suppose I fall under the academic exception). I think the key is to just send out an authentic application that showcases who you are, make sure you proofread it carefully, and don't get lost in the details.

Like Zabagabe, I'm happy to tell people why I chose YLS over HLS (and other very attractive options) if any cross admit want to PM me. Harvard has a lot going for it, and there are plenty of reasons to make the other decision.
+1. My CV was totally two pages. Retroactive apologies to Asha!

bkhopeful

New

Post by bkhopeful » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:49 pm

Is there a page limit on question 5? I feel like the wording hints at one page for each question. Is it cool to have 2 pages for 5a-c? And did folks list summer jobs in part c? Any advice on this pseudo-confusing application would be much appreciated!

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:58 pm

bkhopeful wrote:Is there a page limit on question 5? I feel like the wording hints at one page for each question. Is it cool to have 2 pages for 5a-c? And did folks list summer jobs in part c? Any advice on this pseudo-confusing application would be much appreciated!
I'm also wondering if the questions should be answered on a separate page?

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:24 pm

When I applied I had a separate page for each item number, although I don't remember whether or not any spilled over into a second page. My general feeling with these things is, if you really think they're relevant/important, then list them. Otherwise, keep it to a page.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:25 pm

Their Twitter says that a few more acceptances are coming today. Freak out near your phones as necessary. :D

muppet263

New

Post by muppet263 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:22 pm

Heads up for today.

YLS admissions twitter says: "More good news today."

The Real Jack McCoy

Bronze

Post by The Real Jack McCoy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:47 pm

My Yale 250 will be the death of me. I promise to get it in this week. TLS pact, anyone?

CryingMonkey

Bronze

Post by CryingMonkey » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:49 pm

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:My Yale 250 will be the death of me. I promise to get it in this week. TLS pact, anyone?
Right here with you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bkhopeful

New

Post by bkhopeful » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:58 pm

CryingMonkey wrote:
The Real Jack McCoy wrote:My Yale 250 will be the death of me. I promise to get it in this week. TLS pact, anyone?
Right here with you.
+1

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:14 pm

CryingMonkey wrote:
Right here with you.
I kind of love how they update their twitter feed. Even though they will soundly reject me, they are my favorite admissions office because of their outreach, etc.

dbrddr

Bronze

Post by dbrddr » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:43 pm

TLSNYC wrote:I kind of love how they update their twitter feed. Even though they will soundly reject me, they are my favorite admissions office because of their outreach, etc.
The updates are nice, but the office definitely does a lot of teasing (e.g. updating the twitter at 9 A.M. only to call at 4:45 P.M., calling maybe 2-4 people per day after alerting applicants to keep their phones nearby, etc.).

mgoblue11

New

Post by mgoblue11 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:48 pm

Has anyone started an "In at Yale" thread? I wouldn't be opposed to starting one up for admitted students, but I don't want to be repetitive if one is already lurking out there beyond the grasp of the TLS search engine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ashcricket

New

Post by ashcricket » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:38 pm

OMG I'm IN!!! WOW, most surreal 3 minutes of my life. Major numbers splitter, so I never thought I had a chance. Cycle is officially over; now down to H vs Y.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:41 am

Any idea how long it should take to get the complete email? The application received email says "we should receive your application and LSDAS report from LSAC in a week and we will begin processing your application at that time" but nothing further.

(I'm only concerned about the Dean's Cert since I sent it first)

Thanks

ACcommando

New

Post by ACcommando » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:32 pm

I missed the phone call yesterday because I was in a conference, but Craig Janecek left a voicemail. I called this morning and was admitted. Good times.

ashcricket

New

Post by ashcricket » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:09 pm

mgoblue11 wrote:Has anyone started an "In at Yale" thread? I wouldn't be opposed to starting one up for admitted students, but I don't want to be repetitive if one is already lurking out there beyond the grasp of the TLS search engine.
Please do - unless you've started one already and I've missed it? Perhaps even an H/Y cross-admit thread to help us decide where to go? I'm horribly indecisive.
ACcommando wrote:I missed the phone call yesterday because I was in a conference, but Craig Janecek left a voicemail. I called this morning and was admitted. Good times.
Congrats congrats!!! It's a wonderful early Christmas present isn't it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ACcommando

New

Post by ACcommando » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:51 pm

ashcricket wrote:
mgoblue11 wrote:Has anyone started an "In at Yale" thread? I wouldn't be opposed to starting one up for admitted students, but I don't want to be repetitive if one is already lurking out there beyond the grasp of the TLS search engine.
Please do - unless you've started one already and I've missed it? Perhaps even an H/Y cross-admit thread to help us decide where to go? I'm horribly indecisive.
ACcommando wrote:I missed the phone call yesterday because I was in a conference, but Craig Janecek left a voicemail. I called this morning and was admitted. Good times.
Congrats congrats!!! It's a wonderful early Christmas present isn't it?
Absolutely! Thanks!

mgoblue11

New

Post by mgoblue11 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:11 pm

ashcricket wrote:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=141034

=)

dianaw

New

Post by dianaw » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:18 pm

does anyone know how long it takes for the "completion" email? I received the application received email on nov 30th, and still hasn't heard from them...

ashcricket

New

Post by ashcricket » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:10 pm

dianaw wrote:does anyone know how long it takes for the "completion" email? I received the application received email on nov 30th, and still hasn't heard from them...
For me it took three weeks, so don't worry yet!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:12 pm

dianaw wrote:does anyone know how long it takes for the "completion" email? I received the application received email on nov 30th, and still hasn't heard from them...
It was about 2 weeks for me, so yours should be coming any day now.

rm61

New

Post by rm61 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:49 am

Finally got over the 250 hump and submitted my app on the 14th.

Also received a personal URM "reach-out" e-mail from a L2 student a couple of weeks ago. Has anyone else received one of these? Good sign?

abitaman6363

Bronze

Post by abitaman6363 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:13 pm

I just got in : ) I never did receive a call but today I received the blue blinder with the acceptance letter. So excited!

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:15 pm

abitaman6363 wrote:I just got in : ) I never did receive a call but today I received the blue blinder with the acceptance letter. So excited!
Wait...what? No call?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”