Yale 2011 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ebeth

Bronze

Re: Yale 2011 applicants

Post by ebeth » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:06 pm

private_ryan wrote:When is the yale admit weekend again?
April 14-16

Galnnn

New

Post by Galnnn » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:07 pm

Yeah, waiting for these rejection letters is like emotional torture. Nothing in today's mail, but snail mail can obviously take a while.

Also, I'm getting frustrated at Yale for not being better about communication. They know they're the best and that students they admit in April will still come, but that doesn't mean they should be purposefully aloof. It's actually very unbecoming.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Galnnn wrote:Yeah, waiting for these rejection letters is like emotional torture. Nothing in today's mail, but snail mail can obviously take a while.

Also, I'm getting frustrated at Yale for not being better about communication. They know they're the best and that students they admit in April will still come, but that doesn't mean they should be purposefully aloof. It's actually very unbecoming.
Who cares? We have all summer to prepare anyway.

Galnnn

New

Post by Galnnn » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:46 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Galnnn wrote:Yeah, waiting for these rejection letters is like emotional torture. Nothing in today's mail, but snail mail can obviously take a while.

Oh, I didn't mean preparing to attend in the fall, but rather choosing to attend if I get in in the end (which probably won't happen). Basically Yale is letting all the other schools recruit their applicants for weeks without muttering a peep about how the admissions process is moving forward because they know that they can. Frankly, not even Harvard, SLS or CLS could get away with this and keep such a high retention rate. However, it ultimately comes across as very pretentious in my opinion. I don't think they need to speed up they're admissions, but rather take 10 minutes a day to update the blog, or twitter or whatever so they keep communication lines open.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:55 pm

Galnnn wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

Oh, I didn't mean preparing to attend in the fall, but rather choosing to attend if I get in in the end (which probably won't happen). Basically Yale is letting all the other schools recruit their applicants for weeks without muttering a peep about how the admissions process is moving forward because they know that they can. Frankly, not even Harvard, SLS or CLS could get away with this and keep such a high retention rate. However, it ultimately comes across as very pretentious in my opinion. I don't think they need to speed up they're admissions, but rather take 10 minutes a day to update the blog, or twitter or whatever so they keep communication lines open.
It's pretentious in the same way the President expects a plane to be waiting for him when he wants to go somewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ebeth

Bronze

Post by ebeth » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:45 pm

Galnnn wrote: Oh, I didn't mean preparing to attend in the fall, but rather choosing to attend if I get in in the end (which probably won't happen). Basically Yale is letting all the other schools recruit their applicants for weeks without muttering a peep about how the admissions process is moving forward because they know that they can. Frankly, not even Harvard, SLS or CLS could get away with this and keep such a high retention rate. However, it ultimately comes across as very pretentious in my opinion. I don't think they need to speed up they're admissions, but rather take 10 minutes a day to update the blog, or twitter or whatever so they keep communication lines open.
I get what you're saying. Those are the same thoughts I had when I found out they have an automated response to emails (while Harvard, for example, has someone responding to emails in a very efficient and friendly manner).

pride09

New

Post by pride09 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:54 pm

Got the letter today. Has to be yield protect :P

Good luck to everyone else.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:07 pm

pride09 wrote:Got the letter today. Has to be yield protect :P

:lol:

Also, where are you located, if you don't mind?

pride09

New

Post by pride09 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:38 pm

subtle wrote:

Arkansas.

Went complete first week of Feb. if that makes any difference.
Last edited by pride09 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:41 pm

Pretty darn close to where I am. I'll check mailbox tomorrow to look for that dreaded envelope.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:51 pm

pride09 wrote:
subtle wrote:

Arkansas.

*scratches head*

<---Does not understand. In Michigan and complete in early January.

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:54 pm

subtle wrote:
pride09 wrote:
subtle wrote:

Arkansas.

*scratches head*

<---Does not understand. In Michigan and complete in early January.
<---Does not understand. Applied.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:57 pm

Exactly, I don't want to be rejected, but I mean, since it's coming, let's just get it over.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:42 pm

Anyone hear anything so far today? Calls? Unfortunate mail deliveries?

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:58 pm

No unfortunate mail delivery in the Southeast today. Though I suppose it is only a matter of time...

sonervous88

Bronze

Post by sonervous88 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:39 pm

i'm beginning to think maybe my letter just got lost in the mail. applied in october and i immediately expected to be dinged. really think that the mailman lost it and wishing there was some way to know.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:49 pm

sonervous88 wrote:i'm beginning to think maybe my letter just got lost in the mail. applied in october and i immediately expected to be dinged. really think that the mailman lost it and wishing there was some way to know.
+1 Not that I have a chance of getting in, but how do you commit anywhere without knowing about Yale first?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

InterArma

New

Post by InterArma » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:38 pm

Dinged in California, so check your mailboxes today. Postmarked March 15th.

Whatever, I didn't want to be part of that whole "Yale thing" anyway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NyzQwwO4Os

Just kidding, of course :) . If you got in, mega congrats - seems like it was a tough year for admissions.

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:22 am

If this year is anything like last year, this next week should be a big one!

ams

New

Post by ams » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:39 am

tgir wrote:If this year is anything like last year, this next week should be a big one!

I hope so! Presumably I've already survived two rounds of dings (I'm a lot closer to New Haven than California is) but I just want to book my ticket to the ASW (ideally, before they go up to like $800) or send my deposit to Harvard so I can feel like I'm making some progress here. Maybe this is the week...

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:44 am

ams wrote:
tgir wrote:If this year is anything like last year, this next week should be a big one!

I hope so! Presumably I've already survived two rounds of dings (I'm a lot closer to New Haven than California is) but I just want to book my ticket to the ASW (ideally, before they go up to like $800) or send my deposit to Harvard so I can feel like I'm making some progress here. Maybe this is the week...
Does Yale send out dings in batches, or do they trickle out? If it's the latter, then... I'm not sure it's time to feel safe yet.. :?

By next week being a big week, do you mean lots of acceptances or rejections, or just decisions in general?

Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ams

New

Post by ams » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:50 am

jrose5 wrote:
ams wrote:

Does Yale send out dings in batches, or do they trickle out? If it's the latter, then... I'm not sure it's time to feel safe yet.. :?

By next week being a big week, do you mean lots of acceptances or rejections, or just decisions in general?

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure it's batches. There was one in mid-February and then one this week. I think last year they sent out rejections over spring break too. I hope tgir means acceptances. Asha hasn't tweeted since March 1 (the extended deadline), and I don't think there have been any (or very few) acceptances since then.

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:57 am

Yeah, I meant acceptances. Like you say, it's been a LONG time since they've admitted anyone, and there's just not much time left in the cycle.

With regard to the batches, it's entirely possible that the larger batches (mid-Feb, mid-March, mid-April) are made up of a few mini-batches amounting to a trickle, so like some mailed on March 15th, some on the 16th, etc. In other words, those of us without dings at this point might still be getting them next week.

ams

New

Post by ams » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:00 am

Good point. Although I think all the dings ITT this week have been postmarked March 15. Of course, I will still be checking the mail...

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:07 am

tgir wrote:Yeah, I meant acceptances. Like you say, it's been a LONG time since they've admitted anyone, and there's just not much time left in the cycle.

With regard to the batches, it's entirely possible that the larger batches (mid-Feb, mid-March, mid-April) are made up of a few mini-batches amounting to a trickle, so like some mailed on March 15th, some on the 16th, etc. In other words, those of us without dings at this point might still be getting them next week.
My conjecture is that they are done with almost all of the auto-admits and everyone not dinged is in the marginal pile. Once they have every app through the process, they will decide which marginal apps are getting admitted.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”