Baylor 2011 "Decision letter mailed."---In at Baylor 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thewarflamingo

Re: Baylor 2011 "Decision letter mailed."---In at Baylor 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:02 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:For anyone curious about what was in my waitlist letter, they said my credentials impressed them blah blah blah, but they didn't have a seat for me right now so they are waitlisting me and they also said they will grant me an automatic admittance for the Spring 2012 class if I choose to reactivate my application. Then they gave three reasons why I should attend in the spring. Also, on the bottom she handwrote "warflamingo-We want you at Baylor Law!"

It was a nice letter, but of course, there is a small typo in the letter at the bottom so I must disregard the whole thing. :lol:

I'll be withdrawing from the waitlist by the end of the week since I highly doubt I'll receive any money from them now. Baylor was my safety, so I've gotten in with $$ at schools I'd be much happier at and I'm going to ride the waitlist at UT. Good luck to everyone starting at Baylor this year and good luck to anyone still waiting!

Did they spell your name incorrectly: thewarflamango?

:lol: exactly!

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:04 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:For anyone curious about what was in my waitlist letter, they said my credentials impressed them blah blah blah, but they didn't have a seat for me right now so they are waitlisting me and they also said they will grant me an automatic admittance for the Spring 2012 class if I choose to reactivate my application. Then they gave three reasons why I should attend in the spring. Also, on the bottom she handwrote "warflamingo-We want you at Baylor Law!"

It was a nice letter, but of course, there is a small typo in the letter at the bottom so I must disregard the whole thing. :lol:

I'll be withdrawing from the waitlist by the end of the week since I highly doubt I'll receive any money from them now. Baylor was my safety, so I've gotten in with $$ at schools I'd be much happier at and I'm going to ride the waitlist at UT. Good luck to everyone starting at Baylor this year and good luck to anyone still waiting!

Bastards... Especially because I hate mangos.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:06 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

Bastards... Especially because I hate mangos.

Do they even have mangos out in Waco?????????

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:10 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Do they even have mangos out in Waco?????????

No, but I hear they have baby-eating dingos.

RaspberryBeret

Postby RaspberryBeret » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:50 pm

Warflamingo, where are you headed (if UT doesn't work out)?

RaspberryBeret

Postby RaspberryBeret » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:53 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Do they even have mangos out in Waco?????????

No, but I hear they have baby-eating dingos.

FWIW, Waco is not that bad. I'm an undergrad at Baylor (and grew up in Austin, so I'm not from a random east Texas town) and actually have a lot of fun here. That being said, I've sat in on enough Baylor law classes and talked to enough Baylor law students to know that the law school isn't for me haha. Still, I liked the gift they sent with the acceptance. It says Baylor Law on it, but since I'll be a Baylor University Alum, I don't mind using it at my future law school!

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:20 pm

RaspberryBeret wrote:Warflamingo, where are you headed (if UT doesn't work out)?

Most likely UF, but small chance I'll choose Illinois.

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:30 pm

Decision letter sent today!

renee88

Postby renee88 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:18 am

Are there any current Baylor students lurking this thread that can comment on their experiences and their employment prospects/those of classes ahead of them? I haven't found a Baylor thread in the other forums so I thought I'd ask here. I've heard some pretty negative things from a couple of people and am looking for more opinions. I've been accepted to fall with a decent scholarship and was almost ready to send in my deposit, but if job prospects are as dismal as I've heard, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:04 am

renee88 wrote:Are there any current Baylor students lurking this thread that can comment on their experiences and their employment prospects/those of classes ahead of them? I haven't found a Baylor thread in the other forums so I thought I'd ask here. I've heard some pretty negative things from a couple of people and am looking for more opinions. I've been accepted to fall with a decent scholarship and was almost ready to send in my deposit, but if job prospects are as dismal as I've heard, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Less than half of this year's spring class had something full time lined up after graduation, probably in the area of 30-40%. Baylor law is three years of misery. This is all according to someone who graduated in the spring, and even happened to be one of the few with a job.

CrimLaw300

Postby CrimLaw300 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:48 am

Marionberry wrote:
renee88 wrote:Are there any current Baylor students lurking this thread that can comment on their experiences and their employment prospects/those of classes ahead of them? I haven't found a Baylor thread in the other forums so I thought I'd ask here. I've heard some pretty negative things from a couple of people and am looking for more opinions. I've been accepted to fall with a decent scholarship and was almost ready to send in my deposit, but if job prospects are as dismal as I've heard, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Less than half of this year's spring class had something full time lined up after graduation, probably in the area of 30-40%. Baylor law is three years of misery. This is all according to someone who graduated in the spring, and even happened to be one of the few with a job.

Any idea what percentage graduates at UH/SMU have jobs lined up? Just curious, thanks.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:45 pm

CrimLaw300 wrote:
Any idea what percentage graduates at UH/SMU have jobs lined up? Just curious, thanks.

Not really, as I don't know anyone who has attended those schools. However, from reading what 3Ls from there have posted in those schools, I would guess that it's not a whole lot better. I think, from what I've heard, that it's probably closer to half or maybe a little bit more, simply by virtue of their being in major metro areas.

FWIW, I used to be a pretty big defender of Baylor on this board. I still think it's a good school depending on what you want, but I also think that they make your time there unnecessarily unpleasant. If you've got good connections, or have a viable plan for hanging your own shingle as a criminal defense or PI lawyer, any of these schools will allow you to take advantage of those things. If you're really vying for a big or medium sized firm, it's gonna be tough.

Of course, this is coming from a lowly 0L, so take it with a grain of salt. I am only relaying and paraphrasing what I have heard from people with more direct experience.

CrimLaw300

Postby CrimLaw300 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:01 pm

Marionberry wrote:
CrimLaw300 wrote:

Not really, as I don't know anyone who has attended those schools. However, from reading what 3Ls from there have posted in those schools, I would guess that it's not a whole lot better. I think, from what I've heard, that it's probably closer to half or maybe a little bit more, simply by virtue of their being in major metro areas.

FWIW, I used to be a pretty big defender of Baylor on this board. I still think it's a good school depending on what you want, but I also think that they make your time there unnecessarily unpleasant. If you've got good connections, or have a viable plan for hanging your own shingle as a criminal defense or PI lawyer, any of these schools will allow you to take advantage of those things. If you're really vying for a big or medium sized firm, it's gonna be tough.

Of course, this is coming from a lowly 0L, so take it with a grain of salt. I am only relaying and paraphrasing what I have heard from people with more direct experience.

Hm, okay, thanks anyways. I really don't know what to do. SMU and UH will each put me about 80-100k in the hole while Baylor is free, and with employment prospects being pretty shitty everywhere, I don't know if I can justify not taking the free ride.

Anyone?

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:04 pm

CrimLaw300 wrote:Hm, okay, thanks anyways. I really don't know what to do. SMU and UH will each put me about 80-100k in the hole while Baylor is free, and with employment prospects being pretty shitty everywhere, I don't know if I can justify not taking the free ride.

Anyone?

What are the stipulations on the money, any? If there are none, or they aren't too restrictive, I would say that Baylor looks like a good choice in this situation. If Baylor is free, along with the ridiculously low COL in Waco, it's a lot less risky of a decision. I think in the long run you'll still find a legal job, even if it takes you a while to work up to really good money. Of course, that's the case for many even at top schools these days. Baylor would allow you to come out with relatively minimal debt, hopefully in a better job market. For free, Baylor is a better choice than SMU/UH in my opinion.

CrimLaw300

Postby CrimLaw300 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:12 pm

Marionberry wrote:
CrimLaw300 wrote:Hm, okay, thanks anyways. I really don't know what to do. SMU and UH will each put me about 80-100k in the hole while Baylor is free, and with employment prospects being pretty shitty everywhere, I don't know if I can justify not taking the free ride.

Anyone?

What are the stipulations on the money, any? If there are none, or they aren't too restrictive, I would say that Baylor looks like a good choice in this situation. If Baylor is free, along with the ridiculously low COL in Waco, it's a lot less risky of a decision. I think in the long run you'll still find a legal job, even if it takes you a while to work up to really good money. Of course, that's the case for many even at top schools these days. Baylor would allow you to come out with relatively minimal debt, hopefully in a better job market. For free, Baylor is a better choice than SMU/UH in my opinion.

This is what I'm thinking, but the threads on TLS have caused me to seriously question this. The stipulations are a 2.75 which would put me in the top 65%. It doesn't seem to difficult according to this: http://www.baylor.edu/law/cs/index.php?id=74649

Also, my father is a small business owner in Houston and every lawyer he knows says that I would be an idiot to pass up the free ride.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:13 pm

If it really is top 2/3, then I think the job prospects at either UH/SMU are not gonna be $100K better.

MCRemix

Postby MCRemix » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:35 pm

Decision letter mailed on 9 Mar!

I dont think I'll be rejected, but my GPA is pretty low for them, so I'm not sure if they'll send any money my direction. Anyone know if they negotiate scholarships?

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:05 pm

15k w/ a 3.4/172. Was hoping for more, does any one have experience negotiating with them?

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:51 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:15k w/ a 3.4/172. Was hoping for more, does any one have experience negotiating with them?

I don't know, but you'll almost certainly get more from SMU, if you haven't already.

RaspberryBeret

Postby RaspberryBeret » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:54 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:15k w/ a 3.4/172. Was hoping for more, does any one have experience negotiating with them?

You might as well try it. Your LSAT is way above their median for any quarter, so you have a decent shot at convincing them, if you phrase it tactfully.

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:55 pm

RaspberryBeret wrote:

You might as well try it. Your LSAT is way above their median for any quarter, so you have a decent shot at convincing them, if you phrase it tactfully.

I've got 25k from SMU and my top two criteria are cost and location. Both Baylor and SMU satisfy the later. How do I tell them about SMU's offer?

graceful1

Postby graceful1 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:33 pm

-
Last edited by graceful1 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

frognot

Postby frognot » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:39 pm

Admitted for Fall today via snail mail. No scholarship offer in acceptance package. :( Do they send scholarship info with initial acceptance or afterwards?

limelightwave

Postby limelightwave » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:42 pm

My scholly offer was in my acceptance letter.

RaspberryBeret

Postby RaspberryBeret » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:50 pm

limelightwave wrote:My scholly offer was in my acceptance letter.

Same.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”