IOWA 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JenDarby

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby JenDarby » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:07 am

Kinderby wrote:I'm finally IR! Rejection to follow very quickly, I am sure, but still, yay for actual review!

Good luck Kinder!!!

bookofcarpetsamples

Postby bookofcarpetsamples » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:18 am

does anyone know how long it takes to get a financial aid award once they process your fafsa?

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:59 pm

chrisbru wrote:
No. 4000 sq ft houses sell for $90k and gas is $1.20 a gallon.

In all honesty, though, Iowa is cheap as hell to live in. IC is a little more expensive than the other cities, but that tends to be how college towns in Iowa go. One bedrooms for $500-$600 are pretty easy to come by, and if you find a roommate you can get a place for really cheap. Gas, groceries, and booze (three staple expenditures, although not in that order) are much cheaper than most of the U.S. as well. I never realized how good I had it (financially) in Iowa until I moved to Seattle.

Why would you take away my hope of buying a 6 beds mansion under 100K? :wink: I anticipated the COL is not dirt cheap, but to be honest, I wasn't expecting a COL $15K per year.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:40 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
Why would you take away my hope of buying a 6 beds mansion under 100K? :wink: I anticipated the COL is not dirt cheap, but to be honest, I wasn't expecting a COL $15K per year.

$15k a year is probably a high estimate... I'm guessing you can do all 12 months on that, depending how much you drink haha. If you share a price you can easily get a place for < $400/month/person, and utilities are pretty low. Plus, booze is cheap in IC.

brupe

Postby brupe » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:55 pm

StillHerexxx, Yes please!!! I'll buy you a drink ;)

hokie

Postby hokie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:27 pm

So I am thinking about contacting the fin aid office this week to ask about schollys. Just wanted to hear opinions on:

1) Whether I should call and ask or send an email
2) If they say no, then sending an email asking to possible match UGA's offer of in-state (it's considered a peer school right?) and/or extending the seat deposit deadline to mid April.

Thanks!

chihuahua12

Postby chihuahua12 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:49 pm

hokie wrote:So I am thinking about contacting the fin aid office this week to ask about schollys. Just wanted to hear opinions on:

2) If they say no, then sending an email asking to possible match UGA's offer of in-state (it's considered a peer school right?) and/or extending the seat deposit deadline to mid April.

Thanks!

Here was my experience:

I called about a month ago. They looked me up in the system and said I was being considered for an award and would receive an answer by the end of March. They didn't specify snail mail or e-mail and I don't think being "considered" means getting one for sure. Haven't received anything since except the blue FAFSA verification form.

I would say there is no harm in calling. If they flat out tell you no $$, you might be able to get them to extend the seat deposit deadline.

GL!

bbermud

Postby bbermud » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:40 pm

chihuahua12 wrote:
hokie wrote:So I am thinking about contacting the fin aid office this week to ask about schollys. Just wanted to hear opinions on:

Thanks!

Here was my experience:

I called about a month ago. They looked me up in the system and said I was being considered for an award and would receive an answer by the end of March. They didn't specify snail mail or e-mail and I don't think being "considered" means getting one for sure. Haven't received anything since except the blue FAFSA verification form.

I would say there is no harm in calling. If they flat out tell you no $$, you might be able to get them to extend the seat deposit deadline.

GL!

I have filled out the FAFSA form. When can I expect a financial aid award? Also, is the verification form needed before they render a financial aid decision??

Prairie

Postby Prairie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:33 pm

bbermud wrote:is the verification form needed before they render a financial aid decision??

no.

bbermud

Postby bbermud » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:36 pm

Prairie wrote:
bbermud wrote:is the verification form needed before they render a financial aid decision??

no.

I decided to go ahead and email them and this is what the fin. aid sent to me

Before we can send you an award notification, we need the Iowa Verification form, with a copy of your 2010 federal return, to be completed and turned into our office. It usually takes 2-3 weeks to receive an award notification after this step is completed. At this point, it is not likely that the process will be done by April 1st. What you can do is return the form to our office, and include a letter that requests a rush so that you can make a decision by the April 1 deadline.

Prairie

Postby Prairie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:50 pm

bbermud wrote:
Prairie wrote:

no.

Before we can send you an award notification, we need the Iowa Verification form, with a copy of your 2010 federal return, to be completed and turned into our office. It usually takes 2-3 weeks to receive an award notification after this step is completed. At this point, it is not likely that the process will be done by April 1st. What you can do is return the form to our office, and include a letter that requests a rush so that you can make a decision by the April 1 deadline.

odd. they offered me a scholarship before i was sent a verification form, much less completed it.

bbermud

Postby bbermud » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:52 pm

Prairie wrote:
bbermud wrote:
Prairie wrote:

no.

odd. they offered me a scholarship before i was sent a verification form, much less completed it.

im thinking need based grants/scholarships are dif. than merit based...

Kyllo

Postby Kyllo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:15 pm

Kinderby wrote:I'm finally IR! Rejection to follow very quickly, I am sure, but still, yay for actual review!

When did you apply? Go complete?

t3hevildonut

Postby t3hevildonut » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:29 pm

Kyllo wrote:

When did you apply? Go complete?

Just an FYI, I just went IR for the second time today. The first IR was 3/04 and I went complete 2/26.

I'm not quite sure what a second IR means..

hokie

Postby hokie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:30 pm

chihuahua12 wrote:

Thanks!

Here was my experience:

GL!

So I gave them a call and it seems that I am not getting any schollys :( ......looks like I will try plan B and send them a negotiation letter to maybe match/come close to UGA's offer. I really do like Iowa but OOS @sticker 1st year is just brutal. Thanks for the advice!

brupe

Postby brupe » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:58 pm

"The waiting list is not ranked. When a significant number of admitted students drop out of the fall class, the committee will re-assess the applicants' files. Preference will be given to residents.

The fall 2011 class is currently over admitted. Consequently, we are unsure how many will actually enroll, how many will cancel their admissions, and how many, if any, applicants on the waiting list will be admitted; therefore, we recommend that wait listed students do not forgo any other educational and/or professional opportunities. If you are admitted into the fall 2011 class we will contact you immediately. If you are not, you will receive an official denial letter no later than mid-August."

This was posted in my application status section for Preliminary Waitlisters. Sad sad day. :(

nkra

Postby nkra » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:03 pm

brupe wrote:"The waiting list is not ranked. When a significant number of admitted students drop out of the fall class, the committee will re-assess the applicants' files. Preference will be given to residents.

The fall 2011 class is currently over admitted. Consequently, we are unsure how many will actually enroll, how many will cancel their admissions, and how many, if any, applicants on the waiting list will be admitted; therefore, we recommend that wait listed students do not forgo any other educational and/or professional opportunities. If you are admitted into the fall 2011 class we will contact you immediately. If you are not, you will receive an official denial letter no later than mid-August."

This was posted in my application status section for Preliminary Waitlisters. Sad sad day. :(

I noticed the same thing on mine a day or two ago. Certainly doesn't look very good for all of us.

t3hevildonut

Postby t3hevildonut » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:04 pm

brupe wrote:"The waiting list is not ranked. When a significant number of admitted students drop out of the fall class, the committee will re-assess the applicants' files. Preference will be given to residents.

That is not good news. I am still under review..

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:48 pm

t3hevildonut wrote:

That is not good news. I am still under review..

Don't lose hope. Iowa's fist deposit is April 1st, so you guys may get some good news soon.

t3hevildonut

Postby t3hevildonut » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:15 am

Denied today.

nightman09

Postby nightman09 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:05 am

Has scholarship information already gone out? It'd be nice to know before ASW this week...

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:44 pm

nightman09 wrote:Has scholarship information already gone out? It'd be nice to know before ASW this week...

Some scholarships have... They don't have a mass scholarship decision timeline though. What are your numbers? In-state or out of state?

PS - Plug for the Facebook group. Also we're going to be meeting at the Airliner (22 South Clinton Street) at 9:00 PM this Thursday for an ASW meet up!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_126517104087342&ref=notif&notif_t=group_activity#!/home.php?sk=group_126517104087342

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:36 pm

chrisbru wrote:
nightman09 wrote:Has scholarship information already gone out? It'd be nice to know before ASW this week...

Some scholarships have... They don't have a mass scholarship decision timeline though. What are your numbers? In-state or out of state?

PS - Plug for the Facebook group. Also we're going to be meeting at the Airliner (22 South Clinton Street) at 9:00 PM this Thursday for an ASW meet up!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_126517104087342&ref=notif&notif_t=group_activity#!/home.php?sk=group_126517104087342

Ah, the Airliner. I miss the days when it didn't feel like a cheap hotel bar. It just felt like a cheap bar.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:40 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
Ah, the Airliner. I miss the days when it didn't feel like a cheap hotel bar. It just felt like a cheap bar.

Lol me too, me too. Still a great place to introduce the non-Iowans to the IC bar scene :-)

I haven't been out in IC since bar age changed from 19 to 21. How much as it changed?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:56 pm

I haven't been on TLS for 4-5 days. But I got in today via email .. and the email had a couple egregious typos in it. That is normal? I thought I would get a stock one.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”