IOWA 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby Kinderby » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:32 pm

I'm finally IR! Rejection to follow very quickly, I am sure, but still, yay for actual review!

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby typ3 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:31 pm

SlimCharles wrote:
jayman6 wrote:
drummerboy wrote:financial aid told me 1 minute ago, no scholly for me. hence i will be withdrawing.


I'll ask you what I asked someone previously. Did they tell you fo certain that you would not be receiving a scholarship or just that you hadn't received one as of yet?


Just got the same call. Iowa rep said no scholarship, and they'll be offering a loan package. I'm rather surprised as I was accepted very quickly and am well above 75% LSAT, OOS.


I would say they will probably throw you a partial further down the line. However your index isn't too attractive.

kopf1988
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby kopf1988 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:34 am

LSAT: 161, GPA 3.06
* Iowa Resident
* Own my own business
* Work part time
* Student government and numerous other activities


I was preliminary waitlisted back on 2/16, and I sent my LOCI today which I hope helps. The status checker says they're reviewing "in the spring," which I assumed had meant after March 20th, so I can only hope it's in with time to spare. My personal statement emphasized more of my extracurriculars, but not so much my specific law interests. I'm hoping my LOCI covers that part better and helps. Hoping for good news!

Also really really need to get my FAFSA done. The trouble with having a one-person business is that you have to do all the business taxes before you can file your own. I have a lot of expenses to sort through and categorize.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:44 am

Hey folks,

I was preliminary waitlisted yesterday. Its early and I'm too tired to look through the thread at the moment. I have a few questions:

1. Does Iowa typically admit from the waitlist, or is this sort of a soft rejection like William and Mary?
2. I'm from NY; do you think they are just unsure if I really want Iowa? I can clear this up with a LOCI.


Stats are 2.4/164/URM/non-trad.

Thanks in advance for any help.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby typ3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:30 am

Justathought wrote:Hey folks,

I was preliminary waitlisted yesterday. Its early and I'm too tired to look through the thread at the moment. I have a few questions:

1. Does Iowa typically admit from the waitlist, or is this sort of a soft rejection like William and Mary?
2. I'm from NY; do you think they are just unsure if I really want Iowa? I can clear this up with a LOCI.


Stats are 2.4/164/URM/non-trad.

Thanks in advance for any help.


If you weren't a URM you would be rejected. I don't think it is a loci issue. I think it is that they're waiting to see what other URMs they have in the class.

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:34 am

typ3 wrote:
Justathought wrote:Hey folks,

I was preliminary waitlisted yesterday. Its early and I'm too tired to look through the thread at the moment. I have a few questions:

1. Does Iowa typically admit from the waitlist, or is this sort of a soft rejection like William and Mary?
2. I'm from NY; do you think they are just unsure if I really want Iowa? I can clear this up with a LOCI.


Stats are 2.4/164/URM/non-trad.

Thanks in advance for any help.


If you weren't a URM you would be rejected. I don't think it is a loci issue. I think it is that they're waiting to see what other URMs they have in the class.


Fair enough, figured as much. I'll send in a LOCI, because if they are judging two candidates, you don't want to be the one who hasn't shown interest.

Amir N
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby Amir N » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:57 pm

What is the consensus: is Iowa worth OOS sticker for someone who wants to stay in the midwest and would be fine getting small or mid law?

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby chrisbru » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:59 pm

Amir N wrote:What is the consensus: is Iowa worth OOS sticker for someone who wants to stay in the midwest and would be fine getting small or mid law?



Depends what your options are. And how comfortable you are with paying off your debt for 15 years after school.

However, you only have to pay OOS first year... You should be able to get in-state 2L and 3L if you have any desire to at all.

Amir N
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby Amir N » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:02 pm

Do you know how median and below-median grads are doing out of Iowa? Are they finding any legal work?

User avatar
StillHerexxx
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:58 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby StillHerexxx » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:24 pm

Even with instate tuition the last two years, at sticker you are still looking at 150k in debt with housing and what not included. That is a lot of debt. Which is why I will most likely be withdrawing.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:37 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:Even with instate tuition the last two years, at sticker you are still looking at 150k in debt with housing and what not included. That is a lot of debt. Which is why I will most likely be withdrawing.


How did you come up with 150K in debt with instate tuition the last two years?

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:38 pm

Kinderby wrote:I'm finally IR! Rejection to follow very quickly, I am sure, but still, yay for actual review!



Good luck kinderby!

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby chrisbru » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:26 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
StillHerexxx wrote:Even with instate tuition the last two years, at sticker you are still looking at 150k in debt with housing and what not included. That is a lot of debt. Which is why I will most likely be withdrawing.


How did you come up with 150K in debt with instate tuition the last two years?


I come up with $142,505 for OOS tuition/fees 1L, instate tuition fees 2L and 3L, and $14,585 per year for cost of living.

User avatar
StillHerexxx
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:58 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby StillHerexxx » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:35 pm

I got in the low 140s as well, rounded up to 150. Both instate and oos went up this year. Lame, but how it goes.

User avatar
hokie
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby hokie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:58 pm

question answered in previous page
Last edited by hokie on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby typ3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:00 pm

hokie wrote:so is the general consensus that if you don't hear about scholly by the end of next week you're not getting any? I'm tempted to email them just to see if I am actually being considered for any merit aid......


:: facepalm ::

read what traehatkat said. Send in your deposit even if you don't hear by the deadline and wait until June 15th (The day LSAC tells all law schools who else you have deposited at) in hopes of something because money frees up after the first deposit deadline when top candidates withdraw.

User avatar
hokie
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby hokie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:03 pm

lol yea that was retarded; as soon as I posted that I read the whole fin aid discussion on the previous page.........in my defense it has been a very long day..............

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby chrisbru » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:32 pm

hokie wrote:lol yea that was You are retarded; as soon as I posted that I read the whole fin aid discussion on the previous page and retracted my post you no-talent twat waffle! Pay attention for once!.........in my defense deal with my offense, it has been a very long day..............


FTFY: The best defense is a good offense, someone sports related likely said at one point.

User avatar
hokie
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby hokie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:25 pm

chrisbru wrote:
hokie wrote:lol yea that was You are retarded; as soon as I posted that I read the whole fin aid discussion on the previous page and retracted my post you no-talent twat waffle! Pay attention for once!.........in my defense deal with my offense, it has been a very long day..............


FTFY: The best defense is a good offense, someone sports related likely said at one point.


:lol: thanks!

brupe
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby brupe » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:04 am

StillHerexxx - Please withdraw :D I like working as a paralegal in workers comp, but not more than law school. So I have
a preference for getting in this year rather than waiting until next cycle!!

User avatar
hokie
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby hokie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:15 am

brupe wrote:StillHerexxx - Please withdraw :D I like working as a paralegal in workers comp, but not more than law school. So I have
a preference for getting in this year rather than waiting until next cycle!!


lol; very direct! Rifle Approach > Shotgun Approach FTW!

User avatar
StillHerexxx
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:58 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby StillHerexxx » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:51 am

I am going to in a few days. It is just too much for me at sticker. Should I email the school telling them to give my spot to you?

WB333
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby WB333 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:01 pm

Anyone have any updates on the preliminary waitlist?

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby tea_drinker » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:03 pm

chrisbru wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:
StillHerexxx wrote:Even with instate tuition the last two years, at sticker you are still looking at 150k in debt with housing and what not included. That is a lot of debt. Which is why I will most likely be withdrawing.


How did you come up with 150K in debt with instate tuition the last two years?


I come up with $142,505 for OOS tuition/fees 1L, instate tuition fees 2L and 3L, and $14,585 per year for cost of living.


Does it cost that much to live in IC? I never live in the mdwest, specifically IC, so I don't know.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby chrisbru » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:20 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:
StillHerexxx wrote:Even with instate tuition the last two years, at sticker you are still looking at 150k in debt with housing and what not included. That is a lot of debt. Which is why I will most likely be withdrawing.


How did you come up with 150K in debt with instate tuition the last two years?


I come up with $142,505 for OOS tuition/fees 1L, instate tuition fees 2L and 3L, and $14,585 per year for cost of living.


Does it cost that much to live in IC? I never live in the mdwest, specifically IC, so I don't know.



No. 4000 sq ft houses sell for $90k and gas is $1.20 a gallon.

In all honesty, though, Iowa is cheap as hell to live in. IC is a little more expensive than the other cities, but that tends to be how college towns in Iowa go. One bedrooms for $500-$600 are pretty easy to come by, and if you find a roommate you can get a place for really cheap. Gas, groceries, and booze (three staple expenditures, although not in that order) are much cheaper than most of the U.S. as well. I never realized how good I had it (financially) in Iowa until I moved to Seattle.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”