IOWA 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bbermud

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby bbermud » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:29 am

DocHawkeye wrote:
typ3 wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
I suspect that this statistic comes from the interior of MoS’s rear end.

Use the search function.

So someone else on this website made it up then? Please people, did we not learn to cite sources?

+1

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:31 am

UtahPhi wrote:In as of today. Hopefully Iowa's propensity for generosity gives me some some nice negotiating chips. How long after the initial packet did it take the scholly info to get to those who received offers?

A little over 2 months for me.

amers73

Postby amers73 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:00 pm

Got a letter from Iowa in the mail yesterday, I was seriously hoping it might be scholarship info (it wasn't). I love Iowa, but without $$ I can't justify going when I have offers at other schools.

nillumin

Postby nillumin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:04 pm

I got into Iowa maybe 2 weeks ago. No scholarship money as of yet but I have received several letters/emails. One of which was from a shareholder/lawyer at a BigLaw firm in Philly who is an Iowa alum. It was a "generic" email urging me to attend Iowa and contact him with any questions...regardless I thought this was pretty cool.

Amir N

Postby Amir N » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:35 pm

Accepted via status checker. 3.57/159/OOS

bbermud

Postby bbermud » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:40 pm

nillumin wrote:I got into Iowa maybe 2 weeks ago. No scholarship money as of yet but I have received several letters/emails. One of which was from a shareholder/lawyer at a BigLaw firm in Philly who is an Iowa alum. It was a "generic" email urging me to attend Iowa and contact him with any questions...regardless I thought this was pretty cool.

me too. i emailed the alum that contacted me with a bunch of questions and he got back to me within the very same day with long answers. liking iowa more and more :)

MoS

Postby MoS » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:42 pm

typ3 wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
I suspect that this statistic comes from the interior of MoS’s rear end.

Use the search function.

I still can't find it after a search and a thorough exam. Was this just thrown out in fear?

brupe

Postby brupe » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:47 pm

qhryder32 - What were your numbers? I am on waitlist too and would LOVE to get in, but probably dont have a shot!

qhryder32

Postby qhryder32 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:23 pm

brupe wrote:qhryder32 - What were your numbers? I am on waitlist too and would LOVE to get in, but probably dont have a shot!

I have a 160/ 3.3 and I'm OOS as well as a non URM. I am attending grad school and have fairly decent softs, but nothing overly earth shattering. I'm so surprised I was accepted, and so quickly to boot...but I'm so excited that I was!! I wish you best of luck!

bookofcarpetsamples

Postby bookofcarpetsamples » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:01 pm

is anyone else getting warm and fuzzy feelings from iowa? after initially having very little interest i'm slowly getting excited about the prospect. i wish admitted students day were sooner so we could start making some decisions!

denny.crane

Postby denny.crane » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:17 pm

bookofcarpetsamples wrote:is anyone else getting warm and fuzzy feelings from iowa? after initially having very little interest i'm slowly getting excited about the prospect. i wish admitted students day were sooner so we could start making some decisions!

I'm in since Monday, but I haven't gotten any mail yet. When is/are the ASD[s]?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:18 pm

denny.crane wrote:
bookofcarpetsamples wrote:is anyone else getting warm and fuzzy feelings from iowa? after initially having very little interest i'm slowly getting excited about the prospect. i wish admitted students day were sooner so we could start making some decisions!

March 24-25

theothertiffany

Postby theothertiffany » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Yep :D Yesterday I got another letter from UofI encouraging me to pick them there was even a bit of personalization to it, which is nice. Plus they found really good student/alum/staff matches to contact me and they've all been helpful. BTW did we know editors on the journals qualify for in-state tuition too? Just thought I'd throw that out there. I'm thinking the fuzzies are associated with the amount of effort they're putting in to make us feel like humans instead of just an LSAC barcode

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:27 pm

typ3 wrote:
denny.crane wrote:

Last edited by jayman6 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slowdiver

Postby slowdiver » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:27 pm

theothertiffany wrote:BTW did we know editors on the journals qualify for in-state tuition too? Just thought I'd throw that out there.

They also give you in-state your second and/or third year for being a research assistant for a professor. I only paid OOS my first year, so it was really good deal overall.

bookofcarpetsamples

Postby bookofcarpetsamples » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:31 pm

[quote="theothertiffany"]Yep :D Yesterday I got another letter from UofI encouraging me to pick them there was even a bit of personalization to it, which is nice. Plus they found really good student/alum/staff matches to contact me and they've all been helpful. BTW did we know editors on the journals qualify for in-state tuition too? Just thought I'd throw that out there. I'm thinking the fuzzies are associated with the amount of effort they're putting in to make us feel like humans instead of just an LSAC barcode

adding these to the pro list for iowa.

theothertiffany

Postby theothertiffany » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:32 pm

yeah I knew about the TA/RA thing, but editors was new info for me. I think it's pretty sweet because you won't have to try to job hunt + work on a journal + RA. That'd be super awful!

slowdiver wrote:
theothertiffany wrote:BTW did we know editors on the journals qualify for in-state tuition too? Just thought I'd throw that out there.

They also give you in-state your second and/or third year for being a research assistant for a professor. I only paid OOS my first year, so it was really good deal overall.

ptrpostma

Postby ptrpostma » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:38 pm

In via status checker, 3.43/159

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:44 pm

typ3 wrote:
denny.crane wrote:

March 24-25

Oooh, that's going to be a fun weekend in IA City...there may or may not be a professional school bar crawl...

nightman09

Postby nightman09 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:59 pm

Slimpee wrote:Oooh, that's going to be a fun weekend in IA City...there may or may not be a professional school bar crawl...

+ :D... excited to meet you guys at ASD!!!

I'm also adding myself to the "warm fuzzies" group... I'm getting between 1-2 emails a day directed at my interests, and some of my schools can't even do me the courtesy of spelling my name right. Point Iowa!

SIDE NOTE -- how're people feeling about the April 1 first seat deposit deadline? Is it just me, or is that seriously early?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:01 pm

nightman09 wrote:
Slimpee wrote:Oooh, that's going to be a fun weekend in IA City...there may or may not be a professional school bar crawl...

I'm also adding myself to the "warm fuzzies" group... I'm getting between 1-2 emails a day directed at my interests, and some of my schools can't even do me the courtesy of spelling my name right. Point Iowa!

SIDE NOTE -- how're people feeling about the April 1 first seat deposit deadline? Is it just me, or is that seriously early?

I believe April 1 is the national deadline for seat deposits.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:30 pm

typ3 wrote:
nightman09 wrote:

I applied to a school with April 15 deadline, but April 1 is certainly very common.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:33 pm

TommyK wrote:
typ3 wrote:
nightman09 wrote:

I applied to a school with April 15 deadline, but April 1 is certainly very common.

Right, but the 1st is the first day the ABA allows schools to require deposits. There are no deposits due before that date.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:35 pm

typ3 wrote:Right, but the 1st is the first day the ABA allows schools to require deposits. There are no deposits due before that date.

totally.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:03 pm

Never received scholly info. :| I figured when I was accepted within two weeks in December, I'd get something. I had a letter in the mail today, but of course it was just sone form letter with a paragraph inserted about my employer and work experience. Stop sending me letters Iowa, unless they are to offer me money.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”