IOWA 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisbru

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:11 pm

drummerboy wrote:what deadline are you referring to.

The deadline for submitting your application. According to the website

March 1, 2011 (Extended to April 1, 2011) Deadline for Submission of All Application Materials.

The reason people think more money will be sent out after this, is that they have distributed all the scholarships they care to automatically. After ALL applications are received, they will be ranked and money offered subsequently. Speculation, but probably a pretty good guess.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:53 pm

What are the job prospects in Iowa and the surrounding midwest states? Im concerned because Ive heard nothing about this yet other than general info about the school. Also, im from oos and will probably only get state tuition after my first year providing i do some research. Any thoughts?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:58 pm

drummerboy wrote:What are the job prospects in Iowa and the surrounding midwest states? Im concerned because Ive heard nothing about this yet other than general info about the school. Also, im from oos and will probably only get state tuition after my first year providing i do some research. Any thoughts?

Iowa sent me an employment statistics profile. Here's a write-up I did for my parents:

My summary:
Employment out of aschool like Iowa isn't nearly as dismal as things portray. Classes of 2009 and 2010 were said to be the HARDEST years to find post-JD employment that have ever been seen, and that they will likely remain the worst until another big recession hits. Based on statistical analysis, graduating in the top third should nearly guarantee me a job in private practice, business, or public interest, and I will make at least $54k in Iowa or $95k elsewhere. Needless to say... Finding a job in Minneapolis, Denver, Kansas City or Chicago will probably be a much greater salary than a job in Iowa.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is from U of I's email to me

Within 9 months of graduation (class of 2009)
*73% in a "Bar passage Required" position
*84% in a "bar passage required" OR "JD Preferred" position

206 graduates
151 bar required jobs
23 JD preferred
10 professional "other"
2 non-professional
2 employed - type unknown
11 advanced degree student
6 seeking

*There is apparently 1 student missing, as this data only adds up to 205...*

55% Private practice
14% business
8% public interest
5% academic
7% judicial clerkship
8% government
3% military

Overall salary information (Overall/Iowa jobs):
25% - $50k/$45k
median - $65k/$54k
75% - $125k/$67k
Average $86k/$56k
Low - $31k/$31k
High - $160k/$100k

ramhands

Postby ramhands » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:00 pm

Just withdrew my application. Good luck to everyone still waiting on decisions.

tropicalpeach

Postby tropicalpeach » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:11 pm

When accepted, how quickly does the admissions package come in the mail? I was accepted 7 days ago, but still have nothing under "mailings". I'm eager to see the letter!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:51 pm

tropicalpeach wrote:When accepted, how quickly does the admissions package come in the mail? I was accepted 7 days ago, but still have nothing under "mailings". I'm eager to see the letter!

About a week. Don't hold your breath for scholarship info... It doesn't come with the packet.

bbermud

Postby bbermud » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:56 pm

chrisbru wrote:
tropicalpeach wrote:When accepted, how quickly does the admissions package come in the mail? I was accepted 7 days ago, but still have nothing under "mailings". I'm eager to see the letter!

About a week. Don't hold your breath for scholarship info... It doesn't come with the packet.

what about financial aid packets??? has anyone received anything yet?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:01 pm

corvettekid wrote:Hmmm,

I'm out of state, with a 182.25 (167, 3.78) according to the equation listed in this thread. I wonder what my chances are since I applied a little late, didn't get admitted till 2/14.

I hope it isn't too late :(

They seem to be struggling for in-state kids this year hence the scholarships being thrown out to lower indexes than normal in-staters and primarily only to instaters the last few months.

Send your seat deposit if you don't hear anything. Last year they gave out too much money before deposits and there was a second round on April 13th two days before the extended seat deposit deadline (yes they extended it from the 1st to the 15th because of the fin aid debacle). There were even 2 or 3 that received a full offer in May. So, send it in and then let them know how interested you are in Iowa with a LOCI but also mention how attractive other offers are.

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:02 pm

After all my bitching about scholarships, I'm withdrawing. Even with scholarships, the top 1/3 requirement sorta scares the shit out of me.

Anyways, best of luck to yall, especially chrisbru!! Have fun being hawk eyes! :D

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:05 pm

chrisbru wrote:
drummerboy wrote:what deadline are you referring to.

The deadline for submitting your application. According to the website

March 1, 2011 (Extended to April 1, 2011) Deadline for Submission of All Application Materials.

The reason people think more money will be sent out after this, is that they have distributed all the scholarships they care to automatically. After ALL applications are received, they will be ranked and money offered subsequently. Speculation, but probably a pretty good guess.

As far as I know of they don't rank in general and for good reason.

A lot of times they offer $ for lower stat URMs to meet their diversity % benchmark, legacy and connection candidates, but they do rank when they want to boost their medians last minute.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:03 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:After all my bitching about scholarships, I'm withdrawing. Even with scholarships, the top 1/3 requirement sorta scares the shit out of me.

Anyways, best of luck to yall, especially chrisbru!! Have fun being hawk eyes! :D

Sad to see you go... Good luck wherever you end up! I'm sure you'll be top 1/3 wherever you go :-)

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:38 pm

what are the job prospects. getting mixed messages from 3L , apparently, at oci this year, no one from chicago etc came. only thing left was horrible job prospects limited to iowa alone. please advise.it the highest ranked school so far

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:40 pm

drummerboy wrote:what are the job prospects. getting mixed messages from 3L , apparently, at oci this year, no one from chicago etc came. only thing left was horrible job prospects limited to iowa alone. please advise.it the highest ranked school so far

I posted a huge thing for you...

tropicalpeach

Postby tropicalpeach » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:47 pm

Got my packet in the mail today with such a nice note :) I know money doesn't come with the packet, but does it just come randomly later on in the mail?

corvettekid

Postby corvettekid » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:01 pm

typ3 wrote:
corvettekid wrote:Hmmm,

I'm out of state, with a 182.25 (167, 3.78) according to the equation listed in this thread. I wonder what my chances are since I applied a little late, didn't get admitted till 2/14.

I hope it isn't too late :(

They seem to be struggling for in-state kids this year hence the scholarships being thrown out to lower indexes than normal in-staters and primarily only to instaters the last few months.

Send your seat deposit if you don't hear anything. Last year they gave out too much money before deposits and there was a second round on April 13th two days before the extended seat deposit deadline (yes they extended it from the 1st to the 15th because of the fin aid debacle). There were even 2 or 3 that received a full offer in May. So, send it in and then let them know how interested you are in Iowa with a LOCI but also mention how attractive other offers are.

I suppose, kinda hard to part with deposit money since I seem to be in this same situation with a lot of the schools I applied to. Oh well, it is my fault for not rocking my first LSAT and then applying later than I should have. Hopefully some good news will come before the deposit deadline hits.

legallyblonde:)

Postby legallyblonde:) » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:34 pm

Thanks for all the advice everybody. I think the stress is worth less debt to me...especially being at the school I want to be, but I know it's different for everyone. Even if for some reason I don't (god forbid) meet the 1/3 stipulation, I'll still be paying less than most other schools because I'm an instater.

chrisbru wrote:
Prairie wrote:I see both of your points. However, I feel I am already going to be so focused on grades that the "added" stress worrying about a scholarship will be only marginally higher than if I didn't have a stipulation attached to it.

This is irrelevant for almost every person on TLS... We're ALL going to stress the eff out about trying for top 10%, let alone top third.

There is no way that I can imagine taking $120k in debt at WUSTL with no stips to be a better idea than full at Iowa.

Or there's my TTT full-ride with no stips at St. Thomas.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:35 pm

legallyblonde:) wrote:Thanks for all the advice everybody. I think the stress is worth less debt to me...especially being at the school I want to be, but I know it's different for everyone. Even if for some reason I don't (god forbid) meet the 1/3 stipulation, I'll still be paying less than most other schools because I'm an instater.

chrisbru wrote:
Prairie wrote:I see both of your points. However, I feel I am already going to be so focused on grades that the "added" stress worrying about a scholarship will be only marginally higher than if I didn't have a stipulation attached to it.

This is irrelevant for almost every person on TLS... We're ALL going to stress the eff out about trying for top 10%, let alone top third.

There is no way that I can imagine taking $120k in debt at WUSTL with no stips to be a better idea than full at Iowa.

In state. Np if you lose it then.

Around 50% of people lose their scholarships during 1L year.

legallyblonde:)

Postby legallyblonde:) » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:47 pm

Wow 50%! I figured several do but that's crazy....

Prairie

Postby Prairie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:28 pm

typ3 wrote:In state. Np if you lose it then.

You can still get instate tuition your 2L and 3L though, through the RA position. Also, if you have been offered a full scholy, the funds that pay your "wages" for the RA position come from a different pool of funds than those that pay the RA positions for non-full-scholarships. It essentially costs nothing more for the prof to take on an additional RA if you are coming from a full scholy position. The big upshot here: it still may be cheaper for someone to attend Iowa, even after losing a scholarship.

MoS

Postby MoS » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:18 am

typ3 wrote:
legallyblonde:) wrote:Thanks for all the advice everybody. I think the stress is worth less debt to me...especially being at the school I want to be, but I know it's different for everyone. Even if for some reason I don't (god forbid) meet the 1/3 stipulation, I'll still be paying less than most other schools because I'm an instater.

chrisbru wrote:

Where did the 50% come from?

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:33 am

Or there's my TTT full-ride with no stips at St. Thomas.[/quote][/quote]

Around 50% of people lose their scholarships during 1L year.[/quote]

Where did the 50% come from?[/quote]

I suspect that this statistic comes from the interior of MoS’s rear end.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:21 am

DocHawkeye wrote:

Use the search function.

UtahPhi

Postby UtahPhi » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:24 am

In as of today. Hopefully Iowa's propensity for generosity gives me some some nice negotiating chips. How long after the initial packet did it take the scholly info to get to those who received offers?

qhryder32

Postby qhryder32 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:42 am

In off the wait list earlier this week. So excited!!!!

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:34 am

typ3 wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:

Use the search function.

So someone else on this website made it up then? Please people, did we not learn to cite sources?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”