IOWA 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:02 pm

typ3 wrote:
kopf1988 wrote:I've been lurking here for a while, and decided to post since the time is coming close... first "In-Review" on 1/18, second "In-Review" on 2/7.

LSAT: 161, GPA 3.06
* Iowa Resident
* Own my own business
* Work part time
* Student government and numerous other activities

Thoughts? (Dare I ask Chances? XD) Definitely not expecting money, haha.


Likely in because you're an Iowa resident. No chance of $


I wouldn't be so quick to assume addmission. I've been "preliminarily waitlisted" with a 159/3.33, Iowa Resident with a PhD from Iowa. Good luck!

bbermud
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:35 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby bbermud » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:54 pm

typ3 wrote:
bbermud wrote:i submitted my application the 7th of january and still havent heard ne thing yet. should i start to worry??


Without knowing your stats that's hard to answer. If you're an auto admit candidate and are waiting that long then yes I would be worried. If you're at or below both medians than I wouldn't read into it. You probably already know that a WL is coming this late in the cycle unless you're an IA resident.



God. That is a depressing thought. Here are my stats:

Emory Alum with a 3.73 GPA
153 LSAT
Peace Corps Volunteer in Africa
Program Assistant at a Human Rights NGO in Africa
Hispanic
Iowa Resident
Languages: Spanish, French, Bissa
2 sisters who graduated from iowa.

Is there hope or am i basically screwed?
Last edited by bbermud on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bbermud
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:35 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby bbermud » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:59 pm

jam88 wrote:Has anyone had to fill out the residency form? Is it something they make all iowa residents do or are they actually confused?



if there are questions regarding ur residency, then yes you have to fill it out. however, that is not the norm. i had to fill one out even though i was an iowa resident because i said my currest address was in burkina faso(peace corps). if your current address is dif. than iowa, and you claimed residency status then you will probably be asked to fill one out.

User avatar
StillHerexxx
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:58 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby StillHerexxx » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:00 pm

URM hispanic or other? I am brazilian, other hispanic, and I got in with a 156 3.86. I know they like diversity, but your chances go up much more if you are urm.

bbermud
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:35 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby bbermud » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:02 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:URM hispanic or other? I am brazilian, other hispanic, and I got in with a 156 3.86. I know they like diversity, but your chances go up much more if you are urm.



does colombian count?

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby typ3 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:06 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
typ3 wrote:
kopf1988 wrote:I've been lurking here for a while, and decided to post since the time is coming close... first "In-Review" on 1/18, second "In-Review" on 2/7.

LSAT: 161, GPA 3.06
* Iowa Resident
* Own my own business
* Work part time
* Student government and numerous other activities

Thoughts? (Dare I ask Chances? XD) Definitely not expecting money, haha.


Likely in because you're an Iowa resident. No chance of $


I wouldn't be so quick to assume addmission. I've been "preliminarily waitlisted" with a 159/3.33, Iowa Resident with a PhD from Iowa. Good luck!


Those 2 points make a big difference on their index. Also, your PhD from Iowa isn't quite as impressive as a person with their own businesses. If you have a PhD and you're making the run to law school now you most likely look like a candidate who is avoiding the real world by gaining another degree. Not saying I agree with that, but at some point you don't get any gain from an additional degree.

User avatar
StillHerexxx
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:58 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby StillHerexxx » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:30 pm

Unfortunately only mexican or puerto rican count as urm. There is a chance they might give you a slight diversity boost though, but nobody really knows for sure if this happens. Go to the under represented minority forum and check out the "other" hispanic thread. That should help give you some answers.

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:52 pm

typ3 wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
typ3 wrote:
kopf1988 wrote:I've been lurking here for a while, and decided to post since the time is coming close... first "In-Review" on 1/18, second "In-Review" on 2/7.

LSAT: 161, GPA 3.06
* Iowa Resident
* Own my own business
* Work part time
* Student government and numerous other activities

Thoughts? (Dare I ask Chances? XD) Definitely not expecting money, haha.


Likely in because you're an Iowa resident. No chance of $


I wouldn't be so quick to assume addmission. I've been "preliminarily waitlisted" with a 159/3.33, Iowa Resident with a PhD from Iowa. Good luck!


Those 2 points make a big difference on their index. Also, your PhD from Iowa isn't quite as impressive as a person with their own businesses. If you have a PhD and you're making the run to law school now you most likely look like a candidate who is avoiding the real world by gaining another degree. Not saying I agree with that, but at some point you don't get any gain from an additional degree.


I would be hesitant to say that the two points makes a “big difference” in “their index.” Nonetheless, there is a difference. According to the formula published by the University of Iowa College of Law, my admission index would be 169.48393. Kopf’s index is 168.62026. There is a difference of .86367 in my favor. Thus I stand by my original statement – don’t count any Herkey chickens before they are hatched.

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby swilson215 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:57 am

So, I've been lurking a while, but decided to update. I applied 11/3, went complete shortly after, and just got my first "In Review" date of 2/7. I really don't think I'm in at Iowa, but applied because I got the merit-based fee waiver. Who wants to take bets on when I'll hear back?

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:44 pm

swilson215 wrote:So, I've been lurking a while, but decided to update. I applied 11/3, went complete shortly after, and just got my first "In Review" date of 2/7. I really don't think I'm in at Iowa, but applied because I got the merit-based fee waiver. Who wants to take bets on when I'll hear back?


You're a 164 / what gpa?

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:53 pm

swilson215 wrote:So, I've been lurking a while, but decided to update. I applied 11/3, went complete shortly after, and just got my first "In Review" date of 2/7. I really don't think I'm in at Iowa, but applied because I got the merit-based fee waiver. Who wants to take bets on when I'll hear back?


Depends on your GPA. If 3.6+, then accepted within the month. If 3.2-3.6, it depends on your app, and you'll hear early March. If lower than 3.2, reject, probably hear mid to late March.

Completely my guesses.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby JOThompson » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:47 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:Unfortunately only mexican or puerto rican count as urm. There is a chance they might give you a slight diversity boost though, but nobody really knows for sure if this happens. Go to the under represented minority forum and check out the "other" hispanic thread. That should help give you some answers.

One of my friends from Peru received a sizeable boost last cycle.

User avatar
twairlines
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby twairlines » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:57 pm

165 4.03...........preliminary waitlist

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:18 pm

twairlines wrote:165 4.03...........preliminary waitlist


YP, most likely, unless something is glaringly wrong with your app.

User avatar
twairlines
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby twairlines » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:21 pm

Been accepted to higher schools with $$, and some slightly lower (>35) with $$$$. I took a look again at my app, it looks good, didn't leave anything out. Guess I'll throw a LOCI and hope for best.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:31 pm

twairlines wrote:Been accepted to higher schools with $$, and some slightly lower (>35) with $$$$. I took a look again at my app, it looks good, didn't leave anything out. Guess I'll throw a LOCI and hope for best.


Yea, those higher schools likely got you a nice YP WL. Write a loci if you really want to attend there. Otherwise take your money elsewhere imo.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:33 pm

twairlines wrote:Been accepted to higher schools with $$, and some slightly lower (>35) with $$$$. I took a look again at my app, it looks good, didn't leave anything out. Guess I'll throw a LOCI and hope for best.


Or go for one of your >35 with $$$$!

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:41 pm

typ3 wrote:
typ3 wrote:I'll just index and paste LSN profile's onto here so people can have all the scholarship info in one place.

Univ. Iowa Index Calculation:
(LSAT*.876) + (GPA*9.621) -.407 = Index
Maximum 195.77
GPA % 19.62

I'm guessing everyone Chica and above will receive or has received a full tuition merit scholarship.

I'll predict that elaman and chrissyc will both pick up full tuition scholarships given that they're the highest URM candidates on LSN for the cycle. I stopped including candidates after UNC as the rest had LSAT's of 166 and lower and thus their index numbers dropped below what has historically been the minimum in years past for full tuition scholarships. I included Jayman6 in the calculations since he asked earlier about his chances of financial aid.

However, the applicant class at Iowa seems to be very strong this year so I would suggest candidates take these predictions with a grain of salt, but it is a clear reversal of what occurred during last year's cycle where lots of scholarships were thrown out even to lower indexed applicants. This year there is a glut of qualified applicants well over the 75th percentile.

Last Year 27 Full rides were recorded on LSN

Lowest Recorded Index For Full Tuition Merit In Years Past:
2005: 179.8168
2006: 178.83448
2007: 178.10524
2008: 179.8168
2009: 177.79639
2010:

rustyjack 174 3.97 190.21237 Likely Withdraw T-14
mcdonrb 177 3.68 190.05028 Withdrawn Full U. Texas
mapes 170 4 186.997 Likely Withdraw T-14
ugbager 171 3.8 185.9488 Withdraw Duke/Chicago T-14
timmeh 171 3.77 185.66017 Withdraw U. Michigan
brom8 171 3.72 185.17912
sentry 172 3.62 185.09302 Withdraw University of Chicago
soviet1 175 3.37 185.31577
patzan21 175 3.34 185.02714
SisyphusHappy 169 3.9 185.1589
vegenator 169 3.83 184.48543
Woodson1 - - - - 184.xxx
germx 167 3.96 183.98416
chica11 167 3.94 183.79174
Withdraw University of Minnesota
Likely Automatic Full Scholarship Offers Index 183.7+
=====================================================================================
veritas09 169 3.75 183.71575 Withdraw GULC T-14
melelolo 174 3.25 183.28525 Withdraw GULC T-14
chrissyc 165 4.04 183.00184 URM Withdraw Harvard
elamann 169 --- 182.391 URM
livefreeor 167 3.79 182.34859
stlislovers 167 3.7 181.4827
jendarby 168 3.58 181.20418
ajg212 168 3.54 180.81934
adammac17 169 3.44 180.73324
Rolling Full Scholarship Minimum Cut Off for 2011 (Index Score 180.5+) Will be adjusted as top candidates withdraw
========================================================

unc2011kd 167 3.45 179.07745
chrisbru 171 2.94 177.67474 <--- Splitter likely partial or full.
jayman6 162 3.72 177.29512
brokenwindows 167 3.1 175.7101[/list]





Updated Information per a few withdraws on LSN. Still going to keep the minimum index for fulls at 180.5 for now until later in the cycle. I think this might budge down to 180-179.5 once a few more withdraws are thrown in and they know their entire applicant pool.
Last edited by typ3 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
twairlines
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby twairlines » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:43 pm

typ3 wrote:
twairlines wrote:Been accepted to higher schools with $$, and some slightly lower (>35) with $$$$. I took a look again at my app, it looks good, didn't leave anything out. Guess I'll throw a LOCI and hope for best.


Yea, those higher schools likely got you a nice YP WL. Write a loci if you really want to attend there. Otherwise take your money elsewhere imo.


WTF....can they actually see that I already got accepted into higher schools, or did they assume?

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:45 pm

typ3 wrote:
Updated Information per a few withdraws on LSN. Still going to keep the minimum index for fulls at 180.5 for now until later in the cycle. I think this might budge down to 180-179.5 once a few more withdraws are thrown in and they know their entire applicant pool.


My scholarship letter should be here today or tomorrow, so I'll let you know what they say!

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:49 pm

twairlines wrote:
typ3 wrote:
twairlines wrote:Been accepted to higher schools with $$, and some slightly lower (>35) with $$$$. I took a look again at my app, it looks good, didn't leave anything out. Guess I'll throw a LOCI and hope for best.


Yea, those higher schools likely got you a nice YP WL. Write a loci if you really want to attend there. Otherwise take your money elsewhere imo.


WTF....can they actually see that I already got accepted into higher schools, or did they assume?



Depends on what you told them as to where you were applying.

I've heard of Cooley YP'ing ppl who are above a 150 and 2.0 gpa that are also applying to Thomas Jefferson law. Same line of reasoning.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:51 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:
Updated Information per a few withdraws on LSN. Still going to keep the minimum index for fulls at 180.5 for now until later in the cycle. I think this might budge down to 180-179.5 once a few more withdraws are thrown in and they know their entire applicant pool.


My scholarship letter should be here today or tomorrow, so I'll let you know what they say!



You'll get a full b/c half of the class must be instate students. I heard that counts for like 3-4 points on your index. Will your wife go to Iowa rather than CSU?

User avatar
twairlines
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby twairlines » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:57 pm

ahh, well that's (fill in appropriate words). I told them every school I applied to as I was in good faith that my honesty would not hurt my admission chances.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:59 pm

typ3 wrote:

You'll get a full b/c half of the class must be instate students. I heard that counts for like 3-4 points on your index. Will your wife go to Iowa rather than CSU?


If you are correct then I will probably send in my deposit to Iowa this week... No way I can pass up Iowa at COL only, totalling like $45k over 3 years if I borrow the max!

Pump the brakes on the wife-speak, that won't be until after law school :-) But she applied to Iowa, St. Ambrose, and Clarke, which would all be close enough to maintain our relationship. It would be weird to live separately after living together, but I doubt she'd want to commute from Iowa City to Davenport or Dubuque, and I'm DEFINITELY not willing to live farther than walking distance from the law building.
Last edited by chrisbru on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbermud
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:35 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby bbermud » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:23 pm

ACCEPTED with 153 LSAT!!! I am on cloud nine!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bloomsday, jjcorvino, RictusErectus and 11 guests