IOWA 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:23 pm

Who knows? It might just very well be pretty random. I would not speculate.

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:29 pm

has anyone submitted their iowa app through their website instead? How did you go about submitting your reports on LSAC?

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:47 pm

Anyone know when the ASW/ASD dates are?

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:58 pm

Waitlisted via status checker today, 1/20. :( Any advice on LOCI's or how to move off the waitlist? I really want to practice in Iowa so Iowa is my first choice if I can make it work financially.

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:04 pm

Well, work financially and get in...

Also, the status listed "preliminary waitlist." Are there other waitlist statuses or am I reading too much into this?

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby chrisbru » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:37 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:Well, work financially and get in...

Also, the status listed "preliminary waitlist." Are there other waitlist statuses or am I reading too much into this?



Sounds like this is an "unofficial" waitlist where you'll be on there, but can get accepted before the official wait list ever gets considered.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:39 pm

chrisbru wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:Well, work financially and get in...

Also, the status listed "preliminary waitlist." Are there other waitlist statuses or am I reading too much into this?



Sounds like this is an "unofficial" waitlist where you'll be on there, but can get accepted before the official wait list ever gets considered.



That's what they told me on the phone.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:37 pm

I emailed about scholarships, and haven't gotten a response yet... This was Tuesday that I emailed them. WTF?

80884
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby 80884 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:57 pm

IN since Dec. 157/3.6 non-URM. I also got UW Madison? Which one is better? any thought?

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:02 pm

80884 wrote:IN since Dec. 157/3.6 non-URM. I also got UW Madison? Which one is better? any thought?



Iowa, technically. But it depends on where you want to go with your law degree. I personally enjoy the town of Madison better, but I get in-state at Iowa so I didn't even apply there. I feel both place well in their local states, and their success rates in Minneapolis and Chicago are pretty similar to each other.

80884
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby 80884 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:22 pm

thanks Chrisbhu! I wanna do business/hi-tech law. Not so sure if any of them (IOWA and WISCONSIN) offers a good program about things I wanna do.

HopefullyLaw
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:24 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby HopefullyLaw » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:18 pm

Housing

Where do most Iowa Law students live? Does anyone have any suggestions as to specific buildings, complexes, or websites for potential students? I've been told there is lots of housing around the law school area, but that most of it is kind of "dumpy." This information is from recent Iowa Law graduates, so I assume they're right.

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions, please.

modmx
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby modmx » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:05 pm

received scholarship letter today

full ride with 3.92/167

User avatar
amers73
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby amers73 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:07 pm

modmx wrote:received scholarship letter today

full ride with 3.92/167


Congrats! When were you accepted? Mind if I ask what the stipulations were?

modmx
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby modmx » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:10 pm

amers73 wrote:
modmx wrote:received scholarship letter today

full ride with 3.92/167


Congrats! When were you accepted? Mind if I ask what the stipulations were?



Accepted 12/15. Stipend is to remain in the top 1/3 of my class

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby traehekat » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:54 pm

HopefullyLaw wrote:Housing

Where do most Iowa Law students live? Does anyone have any suggestions as to specific buildings, complexes, or websites for potential students? I've been told there is lots of housing around the law school area, but that most of it is kind of "dumpy." This information is from recent Iowa Law graduates, so I assume they're right.

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions, please.


A lot of students live along Benton Street, either at Seville, Benton Manor, Carriage Hill, or some others (can't remember all the names). All these places are about a 15-20 minute walk from the law school, and there is a bus stop right around that area that takes you pretty close to the law school, I think. Seville is pretty good, definitely not dumpy. Ditto for Benton Manor (at least I think it is Benton Manor... it's one of the other complexes on Benton St.).

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby chrisbru » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:13 pm

amers73 wrote:
modmx wrote:received scholarship letter today

full ride with 3.92/167


Congrats! When were you accepted? Mind if I ask what the stipulations were?



Where are you located?

modmx
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby modmx » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:16 pm

chrisbru wrote:Where are you located?


NY

HopefullyLaw
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:24 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby HopefullyLaw » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:09 pm

traehekat wrote:
HopefullyLaw wrote:Housing

Where do most Iowa Law students live? Does anyone have any suggestions as to specific buildings, complexes, or websites for potential students? I've been told there is lots of housing around the law school area, but that most of it is kind of "dumpy." This information is from recent Iowa Law graduates, so I assume they're right.

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions, please.


A lot of students live along Benton Street, either at Seville, Benton Manor, Carriage Hill, or some others (can't remember all the names). All these places are about a 15-20 minute walk from the law school, and there is a bus stop right around that area that takes you pretty close to the law school, I think. Seville is pretty good, definitely not dumpy. Ditto for Benton Manor (at least I think it is Benton Manor... it's one of the other complexes on Benton St.).



Thank you very much for the response! :)

HopefullyLaw
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:24 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby HopefullyLaw » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:11 pm

I visited the admissions building and law school building this month before classes were in session. I spent a considerable amount of time with the dean of admissions and met-up with a 3L who was randomly in the library that I know from a summer work connection. If anyone has any questions about my perceptions, the law school building, the city, or anything else, please let me know. I'm procrastinating from completing some homework I neglected over the weekend.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13289
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby JenDarby » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:40 pm

I received a call from an Iowa number earlier today, can't imagine what it would have to do with if not U Iowa. I won't speculate, but I wish I would have answered since they didn't leave a message!

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby typ3 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:01 am

JenDarby wrote:I received a call from an Iowa number earlier today, can't imagine what it would have to do with if not U Iowa. I won't speculate, but I wish I would have answered since they didn't leave a message!


I'm curious to know what you get for $. I'm +1 LSAT on you .01 GPA lower. We're basically twins.

80884
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby 80884 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:22 am

JenDarby wrote:I received a call from an Iowa number earlier today, can't imagine what it would have to do with if not U Iowa. I won't speculate, but I wish I would have answered since they didn't leave a message!




you should get an e-mail tho. But I think you will get $$$ eventually.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13289
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:29 am

80884 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:I received a call from an Iowa number earlier today, can't imagine what it would have to do with if not U Iowa. I won't speculate, but I wish I would have answered since they didn't leave a message!




you should get an e-mail tho. But I think you will get $$$ eventually.

email about...$$$? I've been in since early December, and already received all the basic admit information. I am really hoping for a good amazing offer from them!

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13289
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:31 am

typ3 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:I received a call from an Iowa number earlier today, can't imagine what it would have to do with if not U Iowa. I won't speculate, but I wish I would have answered since they didn't leave a message!


I'm curious to know what you get for $. I'm +1 LSAT on you .01 GPA lower. We're basically twins.

I'm curious too! Hopefully we both get a lot. I'm retaking the LSAT in February, so if they don't give me a generous offer, perhaps I can leverage more.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], laowhynot109 and 8 guests