IOWA 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
woodson21
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby woodson21 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:15 pm

.

User avatar
woodson21
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby woodson21 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:18 pm

typ3 wrote:
woodson21 wrote:For those who have been accepted: Maybe I am overlooking something, but is there any timeline provided for scholarship decisions?



2 weeks. But this late in the cycle scholarships are likely to be held until those who took the Dec LSAT are all in. So there will likely be a wave around the 20 Jan - 1st of Feb and again around the 20 Feb - 1st of March.

Moreover, this year's applicant pool is the best recently according to LSN, so the school is less likely to distribute money until later in the cycle when adcoms have a better idea of who will be attending and who won't.

Unless you are above the auto offer line or an exceptional URM like chrissy and elamaa, you are likely not going to hear anything until after the application deadline for this year March 1, even then I wouldn't bet on hearing too much until top applicants withdraw or pay their seats in late March.

If you are below the auto offer line but above the projected cut off of 181 Index score, you will hear something between now and March 1 most likely with either a full or part merit.




Thanks, you seem to know alot about this. What is the auto cut off? According to the formula you posted, my index is just above 184.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby typ3 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:23 pm

woodson21 wrote:
typ3 wrote:
woodson21 wrote:For those who have been accepted: Maybe I am overlooking something, but is there any timeline provided for scholarship decisions?



2 weeks. But this late in the cycle scholarships are likely to be held until those who took the Dec LSAT are all in. So there will likely be a wave around the 20 Jan - 1st of Feb and again around the 20 Feb - 1st of March.

Moreover, this year's applicant pool is the best recently according to LSN, so the school is less likely to distribute money until later in the cycle when adcoms have a better idea of who will be attending and who won't.

Unless you are above the auto offer line or an exceptional URM like chrissy and elamaa, you are likely not going to hear anything until after the application deadline for this year March 1, even then I wouldn't bet on hearing too much until top applicants withdraw or pay their seats in late March.

If you are below the auto offer line but above the projected cut off of 181 Index score, you will hear something between now and March 1 most likely with either a full or part merit.




Thanks, you seem to know alot about this. What is the auto cut off? According to the formula you posted, my index is just above 184.



Assuming you did not do something egregious like write your personal statement in crayon you will receive a full tuition scholarship. Do you plan on attending?

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:31 pm

Is anyone else kinda pissed that they said we'd hear back in two weeks about scholarships and haven't said anything?

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13325
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby JenDarby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:32 pm

chrisbru wrote:Is anyone else kinda pissed that they said we'd hear back in two weeks about scholarships and haven't said anything?


ME!! Without that claim, I would not have been anxiously waiting for it.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby typ3 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:34 pm

chrisbru wrote:Is anyone else kinda pissed that they said we'd hear back in two weeks about scholarships and haven't said anything?



It's just the time of the year. They're holding until they get the people who normally finish up everything before Feb 1 so they can lay the candidates out and make picks of who to give money. They're just a lot choosier this time of the cycle.

Chris, you might have to negotiate / wait until later in the cycle too because you're a splitter.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby typ3 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:35 pm

JenDarby wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Is anyone else kinda pissed that they said we'd hear back in two weeks about scholarships and haven't said anything?


ME!! Without that claim, I would not have been anxiously waiting for it.



I updated the chart, you should be likely to get some $ as soon as the top candidates tell the school they have withdrawn.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:37 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Is anyone else kinda pissed that they said we'd hear back in two weeks about scholarships and haven't said anything?



It's just the time of the year. They're holding until they get the people who normally finish up everything before Feb 1 so they can lay the candidates out and make picks of who to give money. They're just a lot choosier this time of the cycle.

Chris, you might have to negotiate / wait until later in the cycle too because you're a splitter.


That's fine, but don't effing TELL us when scholarship info will be provided and then delay FAR beyond that timeline. That's not very nice, and really strings us along.

I realize I'll probably have to wait or negotiate. I can handle that... But jeez, why tease us poor applicants by saying that it will be sent out within 2 weeks?

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13325
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby JenDarby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:38 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Is anyone else kinda pissed that they said we'd hear back in two weeks about scholarships and haven't said anything?



It's just the time of the year. They're holding until they get the people who normally finish up everything before Feb 1 so they can lay the candidates out and make picks of who to give money. They're just a lot choosier this time of the cycle.

Chris, you might have to negotiate / wait until later in the cycle too because you're a splitter.


The bottom line for me, is when I was accepted at the beginning of December, every thing they provided said we'd hear within two weeks. I am overall fairly patient, but they chose to say two weeks in multiple places.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby typ3 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:48 pm

JenDarby wrote:
typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Is anyone else kinda pissed that they said we'd hear back in two weeks about scholarships and haven't said anything?



It's just the time of the year. They're holding until they get the people who normally finish up everything before Feb 1 so they can lay the candidates out and make picks of who to give money. They're just a lot choosier this time of the cycle.

Chris, you might have to negotiate / wait until later in the cycle too because you're a splitter.


The bottom line for me, is when I was accepted at the beginning of December, every thing they provided said we'd hear within two weeks. I am overall fairly patient, but they chose to say two weeks in multiple places.


Well then, maybe you won't receive any money due to your long criminal history of breaking hearts :wink: .

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13325
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby JenDarby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:50 pm

typ3 wrote:Well then, maybe you won't receive any money due to your long criminal history of breaking hearts :wink: .

I am now moderately confused. first I read criminal history and thought "damn it he might know me" then hit breaking hearts and realized "shit, he definitely knows me." but really.... :?:

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby typ3 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:51 pm

JenDarby wrote:
typ3 wrote:Well then, maybe you won't receive any money due to your long criminal history of breaking hearts :wink: .

I am now moderately confused. first I read criminal history and thought "damn it he might know me" then hit breaking hearts and realized "shit, he definitely knows me." but really.... :?:


Cheer up. 8 applicants with a higher index aren't attending! There are two more I believe won't attend, but I didn't want to jump the gun on knocking them off yet.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13325
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby JenDarby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:53 pm

typ3 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:Cheer up. 8 applicants with a higher index aren't attending! There are two more I believe won't attend, but I didn't want to jump the gun on knocking them off yet.

well I hope LSN bears enough weight on the overall applicant pool, because a full scholarship just about ensures I am will go to Iowa.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:54 pm

JenDarby wrote:
typ3 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:Cheer up. 8 applicants with a higher index aren't attending! There are two more I believe won't attend, but I didn't want to jump the gun on knocking them off yet.

well I hope LSN bears enough weight on the overall applicant pool, because a full scholarship just about ensures I am will go to Iowa.



+1, for sure.

User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby Kinderby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:33 pm

I like to think I am a fairly intelligent person, but what am I doing wrong with the index? I put in my numbers and calculate, and I get a number that's like ten times what any of the other numbers are. (Sadly, not a full-tuition kind of number times 10, though.)

Mostly, I just want to be able to check my status there. The last several schools I've heard from are giving out more along the lines of student IDs instead of status checkers. It's a little bizarre, and I can't find actual status checkers.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby typ3 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:37 pm

Kinderby wrote:I like to think I am a fairly intelligent person, but what am I doing wrong with the index? I put in my numbers and calculate, and I get a number that's like ten times what any of the other numbers are. (Sadly, not a full-tuition kind of number times 10, though.)

Mostly, I just want to be able to check my status there. The last several schools I've heard from are giving out more along the lines of student IDs instead of status checkers. It's a little bizarre, and I can't find actual status checkers.



What are your numbers? I'll calculate it for you iyw

User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby Kinderby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:46 pm

Thanks, I PMed you.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby typ3 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:23 am

I'm guessing this isn't quite the same situation as last year. But last year scholarships for the December applicants were held unless they had extremely high stats 170+. Some December acceptances didn't hear back about scholarships until after the deadline to place a seat deposit April 1st.

One problem last year is they dolled out way too many scholarships early in the process (before January). By the time Dec applicants were considered for scholarship $ all of it was used up except for a few full rides reserved for auto offer candidates.

I'm guessing they won't keep people on the leash until April again, but I wouldn't be surprised if the scholarship committee doesn't doll out $$ again until Late Feb / March. The 2 weeks turnaround appears to be for show unless you sent in before Thanksgiving.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby typ3 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:07 pm

Image

This might be of some assistance to some people applying and looking at scholarships. Generally, they don't award scholarships unless it is around the wave of acceptances. You can see obvious lull's in the admissions cycle.

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:43 am

So I noticed today that my status checker had changed. I had been "In Review" as of 1/5. Today it changed to "In Review" with a status date of 1/19. Any idea if this means anything? Good News? Bad News? No News?

User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby Kinderby » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:48 am

I don't think it's bad news. At least you stayed in review! I went from Complete 1/11 to Received 1/18. :shock: What's it meeeeean? [/double rainbow]

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:49 am

DocHawkeye wrote:So I noticed today that my status checker had changed. I had been "In Review" as of 1/5. Today it changed to "In Review" with a status date of 1/19. Any idea if this means anything? Good News? Bad News? No News?



Something similar happened to me before I received a preliminary waitlist.

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:07 am

jaydizzle wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:So I noticed today that my status checker had changed. I had been "In Review" as of 1/5. Today it changed to "In Review" with a status date of 1/19. Any idea if this means anything? Good News? Bad News? No News?



Something similar happened to me before I received a preliminary waitlist.


How long did it take to change from "In Review" to "Preliminary Waitlist"?

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:16 am

DocHawkeye wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:So I noticed today that my status checker had changed. I had been "In Review" as of 1/5. Today it changed to "In Review" with a status date of 1/19. Any idea if this means anything? Good News? Bad News? No News?



Something similar happened to me before I received a preliminary waitlist.


How long did it take to change from "In Review" to "Preliminary Waitlist"?


I think it was within a couple days. Best of luck to you! I had this happen at other schools as well, and I was accepted. Don't read into anything until you get a decision.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:01 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:So I noticed today that my status checker had changed. I had been "In Review" as of 1/5. Today it changed to "In Review" with a status date of 1/19. Any idea if this means anything? Good News? Bad News? No News?



Something similar happened to me before I received a preliminary waitlist.


How long did it take to change from "In Review" to "Preliminary Waitlist"?


I think it was within a couple days. Best of luck to you! I had this happen at other schools as well, and I was accepted. Don't read into anything until you get a decision.


mine hasnt changed from 1/5 is that a good thing? does everybody change in review twice?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AustinLu, call-me-bubbles, ellielaw, Exabot [Bot], freddieb, jstans, lawschoolbound2017, oliviaj_j, potterotter, SuperAverageJoe, theothercat and 24 guests