IOWA 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MoS

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby MoS » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:35 pm

Fair advice for all you 1Ls. Don't do Law Review and AA. It significantly diminishes your quality of life.

trublu25

Postby trublu25 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:58 pm

MoS wrote:Fair advice for all you 1Ls. Don't do Law Review and AA. It significantly diminishes your quality of life.

+1. LR, AA, and traveling for interviews has made for the perfect storm. If you choose to do LR, my advice is to pick at least 2 possible topics over the summer. I promise, it will make your life infinitely better (especially if you're like me and someone else on LR chooses the exact same Note topic as you).

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:50 pm

MoS wrote:Fair advice for all you 1Ls. Don't do Law Review and AA. It significantly diminishes your quality of life.

Is the benefit not > diminished quality of life? I'm still trying to decide if I even want to bother with write-on.

MoS

Postby MoS » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:04 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Is the benefit not > diminished quality of life? I'm still trying to decide if I even want to bother with write-on.

Hard to tell at this point. Its just a lot of work that seems all to be due at the same time. Don't be thinking of write-on at this point. I'd say journal is worth it, but there is nothing you can do now to prepare, so don't even worry about it. The whole process is post spring finals.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:37 pm

MoS wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Hard to tell at this point. Its just a lot of work that seems all to be due at the same time. Don't be thinking of write-on at this point. I'd say journal is worth it, but there is nothing you can do now to prepare, so don't even worry about it. The whole process is post spring finals.

I know, I'm just responding to your post.

Anyone have any info/opinions on the Arcachon trip?

MoS

Postby MoS » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:28 pm

Also fair advice. Get on your job search early. Don't wait until Christmas break. Have your materials read Dec. 1 if you want a chance at a firm job, unless you know someone, even then its a good idea. Contact gov. agencies you want to volunteer with on your own, don't wait for them to ask and don't wait for someone to tell you how. Then keep your materials up to date, do well on tests and you will have a job, no worries.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:40 pm

MoS I've always wondered this.. does your handle stand for Ministry of Sound? If so, I fully approve of it.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:46 am

Cross posted with Iowa 2012 to make sure I get everyone:

Hey 2L's (or 3L's) Any recommendations on these possible electives?

Business Associations Kurtz
Comparative Law Reitz
Crim Pro: Investigation Yung
EU Law Somek
Fed Indian Law Estin
Intro to Intel Property Rantanen
Labor Law Linder
Mediation Gittler
Negotiations Wetlaufer
Sports Law Johnson
Trusts and Estates Hines

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:58 pm

chrisbru wrote:Cross posted with Iowa 2012 to make sure I get everyone:

Business Associations Kurtz I'm in BA now but with Yockey. He breaks things down well, goes at a pace that allows things to sink in, and can be funny. He's a great professor. I haven't had Kurtz but I would at least think about taking it from Yockey instead.

I took it with Hovenkamp as my 1L elective and enjoyed it. He's an engaged professor who makes lectures interesting and the material is something you see and read about often. I can't say anything about Rantanen but i've heard he's good.

Sports Law Johnson
I can't say much about it but my roommate took it and thought it was a good class. I recall him saying it wasn't overly difficult

Trusts and Estates Hines
I haven't taken the class nor had a class with Hines but I can say that Gallanis, who also teaches it, is in my opinion the best teaching prof at Iowa so I would consider taking it from him instead unless there's a good reason to take it from Hines.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:32 pm

Slimpee wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Cross posted with Iowa 2012 to make sure I get everyone:

Business Associations Kurtz I'm in BA now but with Yockey. He breaks things down well, goes at a pace that allows things to sink in, and can be funny. He's a great professor. I haven't had Kurtz but I would at least think about taking it from Yockey instead.

I took it with Hovenkamp as my 1L elective and enjoyed it. He's an engaged professor who makes lectures interesting and the material is something you see and read about often. I can't say anything about Rantanen but i've heard he's good.

Sports Law Johnson
I can't say much about it but my roommate took it and thought it was a good class. I recall him saying it wasn't overly difficult

Trusts and Estates Hines
I haven't taken the class nor had a class with Hines but I can say that Gallanis, who also teaches it, is in my opinion the best teaching prof at Iowa so I would consider taking it from him instead unless there's a good reason to take it from Hines.

Awesome, thanks. Think I'll pref either Sports Law or Intro to IP.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Sports Law has an extremely light work load and there is no final.

Negotiations has a very light work load, but there is a final.

I hear mostly bad things about Kurtz.

Somek is a bit off the wall, and he has a big attendance component to his grading, which is annoying. Especially considering that he says taking time off to go to a job interview isn't a valid reason.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:41 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:Sports Law has an extremely light work load and there is no final.

Somek is a bit off the wall, and he has a big attendance component to his grading, which is annoying. Especially considering that he says taking time off to go to a job interview isn't a valid reason.

How is Sports Law graded if there is no final?

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:51 pm

chrisbru wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1M_8ByLMJQ

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:57 pm

Slimpee wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1M_8ByLMJQ

Perfect. I am ok with this. I'll be at least top half.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:53 am

sebastian0622 wrote:Especially considering that he says taking time off to go to a job interview isn't a valid reason.

Seriously? That's actually like... really lame. Is this guy just clueless?

ANYWAY - 1Ls, I have outlines for Torts (Bohannan), Contracts (Burton), and Property (Matsumoto). I figure they aren't doing much good sitting here on my computer, so if you want to take a look at any or all of them feel free to PM me your email. Best of luck to all you guys on finals!

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:28 pm

For those who are still interested in those outlines, I've uploaded them to the new TLS dropbox (http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=172152). Feel free to send me an email if those aren't working properly though and I'll email you a copy of them.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:38 pm

chrisbru wrote:
sebastian0622 wrote:Sports Law has an extremely light work load and there is no final.

There are weekly written assignments supplemented by a participation score. He grades students based on their answers when he calls on them: 1 point (standard decent answer), 2 points (very good answer), 3 points (a rare perfect answer), or -1 point (obviously unprepared).

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:40 pm

traehekat wrote:
sebastian0622 wrote:Especially considering that he says taking time off to go to a job interview isn't a valid reason.

Seriously? That's actually like... really lame. Is this guy just clueless?

Well, he's a professor, so yeah. Probably just even more clueless than most. But to be fair: other than the boner he has for the importance of his own class, I actually like him. He's a decent teacher and pretty funny.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:18 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:How is Sports Law graded if there is no final?

There are weekly written assignments supplemented by a participation score. He grades students based on their answers when he calls on them: 1 point (standard decent answer), 2 points (very good answer), 3 points (a rare perfect answer), or -1 point (obviously unprepared).

Got an email from him last week. Seems fair, and it will be nice to only have 3 finals to prepare for.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”