IOWA 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hawkeye22

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby hawkeye22 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:00 pm

typ3 wrote:also,

is there any info on parking passes? It seems like this years packets for orientation etc are super slow / late etc / this entire thread is sitting on their hands.

Where do you live? If you are close to campus you are best to walk, bike or take the bus. If you absolutely need a parking pass they are quite expensive, somewhere along the lines of $700/year. I believe the Church across the street from the lot on Myrtle sells passes for significantly less, though.

goodgrief

Postby goodgrief » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:01 pm

hawkeye22 wrote:2L here stopping in to answer any questions you guys happen to have.

What can you say about the Career Services Office? How are they most helpful/least helpful?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:51 pm

hawkeye22 wrote:

is there any info on parking passes? It seems like this years packets for orientation etc are super slow / late etc / this entire thread is sitting on their hands.

Where do you live? If you are close to campus you are best to walk, bike or take the bus. If you absolutely need a parking pass they are quite expensive, somewhere along the lines of $700/year. I believe the Church across the street from the lot on Myrtle sells passes for significantly less, though.

Taking the bus isn't the easiest thing from my place, so I'm getting a pass for sure. I just wish they'd provide some info.

Re: sectioncest... I think it can be avoided. It would be stupid to put me, sam, and Tyler in the same section anyway. The rest of our section would hate their lives.

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:45 am

goodgrief wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:2L here stopping in to answer any questions you guys happen to have.

What can you say about the Career Services Office? How are they most helpful/least helpful?

Career services puts on tons of seminars that are of dubious utility. I am not sure that they would really do much to actually find you work, but they are great for reviewing resumes, mock interviews, etiquette questions, etc.

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:46 am

chrisbru wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:

Taking the bus isn't the easiest thing from my place, so I'm getting a pass for sure. I just wish they'd provide some info.

Re: sectioncest... I think it can be avoided. It would be stupid to put me, sam, and Tyler in the same section anyway. The rest of our section would hate their lives.

I can ask somebody what the procedure is for getting a pass if you're going to go that route.

EDIT: The church I referenced earlier is the First Mennonite Church of Iowa City. According to Google, their phone number is (319) 338-0302. Somebody said that they used to sell relatively inexpensive parking passes. I am not sure if they still do, but it may be worth a call to ask.
Last edited by hawkeye22 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:48 am

hawkeye22 wrote:dubious utility

i think this is my new favorite phrase lol

MoS

Postby MoS » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:01 am

hawkeye22 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:

I can ask somebody what the procedure is for getting a pass if you're going to go that route.

EDIT: The church I referenced earlier is the First Mennonite Church of Iowa City. According to Google, their phone number is (319) 338-0302. Somebody said that they used to sell relatively inexpensive parking passes. I am not sure if they still do, but it may be worth a call to ask.

They don't "sell" parking passes, they take a "donation" for one. They recommend $150 donation, but I am not sure if that is for the year or just a semester.

If you have access to ISIS you can go to the My UIowa tab and select My Parking and you can get a parking pass. I'm not sure how expensive it is.

Also, registration/orientation packets came really late last year, too. I think they try really hard to make the sections even. That or they can't figure out how to dive 200 by 10. Your guess is as good as mine.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:28 am

I'll check out that church. I can't figure out how to get the ISIS parking thing to work. The only option is "Carpool leader pass". I'll call the school if the church thing doesn't work out. $150/semester is totally worth it.

jgalgano

Postby jgalgano » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:27 am

Remember you cannot purchase parking permits until you are registered for classes.

One option I am doing is to get a Hancher Lot Pass. It is about $200-$250 for the year. You would then have to take the blue route cambus (free) and it will drop you off at the law building (about a 20 min trip). Hope this helps.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:49 am

chrisbru wrote:
Re: sectioncest... It would be stupid to put me, sam, and Tyler in the same law school. The rest of our class will hate their lives.

Fixed it for you.

smiller1

Postby smiller1 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:27 am

Re: sectioncest... It would be stupid to put me, sam, and Tyler in the same law school. The rest of our class will hate their lives.

Fixed it for you.

Yeah, I would hate my life too if I was forced to surround myself with so much of our awesomeness. I'd imagine the feelings of inadequacy would be quite difficult for some students to reconcile.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:10 pm

jgalgano wrote:Remember you cannot purchase parking permits until you are registered for classes.

One option I am doing is to get a Hancher Lot Pass. It is about $200-$250 for the year. You would then have to take the blue route cambus (free) and it will drop you off at the law building (about a 20 min trip). Hope this helps.

No offense, but this sounds just awful. Drive + 20 minutes on the bus? No thank you.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:37 pm

Rofl drive then take a bus. You could probably walk/bike to the deathstar faster.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:47 am

typ3 wrote:Rofl drive then take a bus. You could probably walk/bike to the deathstar faster.

This. Parking secured. $150/semester is correct.

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:19 am

typ3 wrote:Rofl drive then take a bus. You could probably walk/bike to the deathstar faster.

This is absurd. Hancher is not especially close to the law school. Doing this once or twice would be tolerable, but as a regular means of transportation it would drive you insane.

jgalgano

Postby jgalgano » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:25 am

No you are right it does seem silly. As a non-traditional student I personally need to be someplace where I am within walking distance to my car without paying out of my ass. I also cannot rely on the city transportation, which can take 30-50 min depending on where you live (ie commuters from Coralville, North Liberty, West Branch, etc).

If you live close enough to campus and the $150 a semester parking at the church is legit, then that sounds like the best option. Otherwise, the bus system or getting a bike is the next best thing.

FYI for those that live in the North Liberty area and did not know already, there is a free cambus that takes you from the Oakdale campus to downtown.

jgalgano

Postby jgalgano » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:46 am

This is absurd. Hancher is not especially close to the law school. Doing this once or twice would be tolerable, but as a regular means of transportation it would drive you insane.[/quote]

Not so. There are quite a number of students who do just that and are able to make it part of their daily college routine. I agree it is not the optimal means of getting to class, but we do what we have to do. Think of those that have to commute from the suburbs to downtown Chicago. Many take the train and that means driving, parking their vehicle, ride the train (not a short ride), and then walking a few blocks to work. Insane? Yes but they live with it.

You are right also, Hancher is not close to the law school. But what parking lot that is attainable and under $300 a semester is? (Besides the church parking lot which I agreed was the best alternative if of course it is legitimate)

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:56 pm

jgalgano wrote:This is absurd. Hancher is not especially close to the law school. Doing this once or twice would be tolerable, but as a regular means of transportation it would drive you insane.

Not so. There are quite a number of students who do just that and are able to make it part of their daily college routine. I agree it is not the optimal means of getting to class, but we do what we have to do. Think of those that have to commute from the suburbs to downtown Chicago. Many take the train and that means driving, parking their vehicle, ride the train (not a short ride), and then walking a few blocks to work. Insane? Yes but they live with it.

You are right also, Hancher is not close to the law school. But what parking lot that is attainable and under $300 a semester is? (Besides the church parking lot which I agreed was the best alternative if of course it is legitimate)[/quote]

Well, one better solution would be simply taking free on-street parking immediately east of downtown and taking a bus from there. You could also keep a junk bike locked up in that area and use that instead of taking the bus.

jgalgano

Postby jgalgano » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:14 pm

Absolutely hawkeye22. I did that one summer when I was in graduate school. Finding spots was a challenge (have to get there very early, which should not be a problem for us) but it worked.

Sorry my goal was not to debate what is the best/cost efficient methods to parking/getting to class everyday. The 2L who posted earlier suggested that parking lots were not a good option because they costed about $700 a year, and I was simply making an alternative suggestion based on my situation/experiences. I am not the typical law student so my advice is geared towards those with similiar situations.

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:18 pm

jgalgano wrote:Absolutely hawkeye22. I did that one summer when I was in graduate school. Finding spots was a challenge (have to get there very early, which should not be a problem for us) but it worked.

Sorry my goal was not to debate what is the best/cost efficient methods to parking/getting to class everyday. The 2L who posted earlier suggested that parking lots were not a good option because they costed about $700 a year, and I was simply making an alternative suggestion based on my situation/experiences. I am not the typical law student so my advice is geared towards those with similiar situations.

Sounds good. A moped would also be an amusing, yet practical solution. Plenty of free moped/motorcycle parking.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:11 pm

Sorry to derail the parking debate... But I'm bored. Anyone down to have a drunken board/card/other game night once a week or so?

jgalgano

Postby jgalgano » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:19 pm

Chris I would definitely be up for it. Maybe we can start something up the week before orientation?

maahs07

Postby maahs07 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:21 pm

chrisbru wrote:Sorry to derail the parking debate... But I'm bored. Anyone down to have a drunken board/card/other game night once a week or so?

Definitely. We have been on this "Game of Things" kick lately. Gets pretty out of hand after a few drinks. Start finding out the sick minds your friends have.

We'll have to get some tee times set up too for the couple weeks before classes start...I'm always looking for opportunities to embarass myself infront of new people.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:56 pm

maahs07 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Sorry to derail the parking debate... But I'm bored. Anyone down to have a drunken board/card/other game night once a week or so?

Definitely. We have been on this "Game of Things" kick lately. Gets pretty out of hand after a few drinks. Start finding out the sick minds your friends have.

We'll have to get some tee times set up too for the couple weeks before classes start...I'm always looking for opportunities to embarass myself infront of new people.

Just bring Sam with you everywhere... She'll make it so you're never embarrassing yourself by comparison. And definitely on golf and such. When do you move? Week of aug 8th should be epic since most of us will be there with nothing to so but drink, golf, drink, hang out, drink, play games, drink and sleep.

smiller1

Postby smiller1 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:22 pm

Just bring Sam with you everywhere... She'll make it so you're never embarrassing yourself by comparison.

This is true. And if you want to feel smart, hang out with Chris for that same effect.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”