IOWA 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisbru

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby chrisbru » Mon May 23, 2011 3:09 pm

traehekat wrote:
chrisbru wrote:I was hoping no one said 8am's :-( At least it doesn't sound like it will be every day of the week. Maybe I'll get lucky!

ya now that i think about it, out of 10 sections, only 2 didn't have a 8am at least one day of the week.

20% chance that I won't have an 8am at all? That's not bad :-)

I just hope I have two days a week without an early morning class... That would be nice. I guess I could try to learn to go to bed before 1am though.

Manash

Postby Manash » Mon May 23, 2011 3:38 pm

Already withdrew. Hope it helps someone out.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:39 pm

chrisbru wrote:
traehekat wrote:
chrisbru wrote:I was hoping no one said 8am's :-( At least it doesn't sound like it will be every day of the week. Maybe I'll get lucky!

ya now that i think about it, out of 10 sections, only 2 didn't have a 8am at least one day of the week.

20% chance that I won't have an 8am at all? That's not bad :-)

I just hope I have two days a week without an early morning class... That would be nice. I guess I could try to learn to go to bed before 1am though.

Hmm 10:30 class... so that means we're playing 9 holes before class right?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon May 23, 2011 3:44 pm

typ3 wrote:
Hmm 10:30 class... so that means we're playing 9 holes before class right?

Hell yes. I like where your head is at. Do they have a fall season pass at the course?

PS - 5.5 days of work left... Meaning that in just over a week, I'll finally stop being every other post in this thread :-)

goodgrief

Postby goodgrief » Tue May 24, 2011 3:32 pm

In my mail today, I received a decent scholarship award notification from Iowa, which seals the Hawkeye deal once and for all :), and a summons to jury duty on my birthday next month.

I guess the money plus not having to go to my office on my birthday outweighs the whole possibly having to serve on a jury thing.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue May 24, 2011 4:13 pm

goodgrief wrote:In my mail today, I received a decent scholarship award notification from Iowa, which seals the Hawkeye deal once and for all :), and a summons to jury duty on my birthday next month.

I guess the money plus not having to go to my office on my birthday outweighs the whole possibly having to serve on a jury thing.

Awesome! Glad to hear it.

I've never served jury duty, let me know how it goes! I've heard if you act super biased against something in the case, you get dismissed pretty quickly... Not sure if that's true though.

goodgrief

Postby goodgrief » Tue May 24, 2011 4:25 pm

chrisbru wrote:
goodgrief wrote:In my mail today, I received a decent scholarship award notification from Iowa, which seals the Hawkeye deal once and for all :), and a summons to jury duty on my birthday next month.

Awesome! Glad to hear it.

I've never served jury duty, let me know how it goes! I've heard if you act super biased against something in the case, you get dismissed pretty quickly... Not sure if that's true though.

They also usually don't like lawyers/law students/anyone who works in a law office and might know too much about the general subject matter of the case. Thinking of borrowing my friends' texts and just "studying" while i'm waiting to be called.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:14 pm

Well, my GF got into her dual degree program so I will be bringing a tag-along drinking and tailgating buddy. Chris, she is already talking trash about you not being able to hold your own at a bar. Your reputation precedes you ;).

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed May 25, 2011 6:42 pm

typ3 wrote:Well, my GF got into her dual degree program so I will be bringing a tag-along drinking and tailgating buddy. Chris, she is already talking trash about you not being able to hold your own at a bar. Your reputation precedes you ;).

Psh... I am happy to prove this any hour of any day.

What kind of little guy/girl do you have again? I'll be trying to coral the 10 lber Charlie (lhasa-poo) and 45 lber Jasper (border collie/shepard mix) at every tailgate.

goodgrief

Postby goodgrief » Wed May 25, 2011 7:20 pm

Chris, you're bringing your pups to tailgating? Awesome, my precious bearded collie girl is coming too.

We'll have to have law school puppy playtime. There's a great dog park not too far from the school, with 3 separate yards for big dogs, little dogs, and individual training/play.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:45 pm

My house is within walking distance to the dog park that is at Iowa City Park ( I think that is the name of it. Whatever park is by the performing arts center). I have a 6 LB Yorkie.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu May 26, 2011 10:51 am

Awesome, I'm glad other people will have dogs!

Are the IC dog parks any good? We can always have pup playtime at my house... I've got a sizeable fenced in back yard.

Girving143

Postby Girving143 » Thu May 26, 2011 6:53 pm

Just accepted off of the waiting list with a decent scholarship! Looks like I'll be attending UI in the fall.

I'm looking for advice regarding housing for the upcoming year. I'm entering the process late in the game and it seems like a lot of the rental properties have been taken already. Where should I go to look for some affordable yet conveniently located rental properties?

-GI

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu May 26, 2011 6:59 pm

Girving143 wrote:Just accepted off of the waiting list with a decent scholarship! Looks like I'll be attending UI in the fall.

I'm looking for advice regarding housing for the upcoming year. I'm entering the process late in the game and it seems like a lot of the rental properties have been taken already. Where should I go to look for some affordable yet conveniently located rental properties?

-GI

I would recommend the housing list if you're going to get a roommate. Otherwise check the earlier pages and traehatkat and a JOThompson had good recommendations for housing.

I know quite a few on here and facebook went with buying / renting houses. I personally rented a townhouse about a 5 minute drive from campus. No where in Iowa City is far from the law building. If you want to be within walking distance you're going to get less for your money. I liked the convenience of walking to campus but I didn't find the properties worth the money since they are sort of run down.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu May 26, 2011 7:03 pm

Asking the same question as before.

Did we secure any sort of tailgating pass yet or are people willing to split one? I know the law school tends to have stuff going on but I think that might be a little too tame for Chris and me. I absolutely love grilling and cooking / making food. I just need people to eat it.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu May 26, 2011 7:13 pm

For those who might still be looking for housing, there is a chance I will be subletting my 1 BR at Seville, but I may not know for a while. I'll keep you all posted, although it looks like the vast majority of you have housing arrangements already.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri May 27, 2011 11:47 am

typ3 wrote:Asking the same question as before.

Did we secure any sort of tailgating pass yet or are people willing to split one? I know the law school tends to have stuff going on but I think that might be a little too tame for Chris and me. I absolutely love grilling and cooking / making food. I just need people to eat it.

I don't know anything about getting a tailgating pass, but I'm more than willing to throw some $$ at whoever ends up getting one. I'd get one myself, but my Nissan Sentra doesn't make a very good tailgating vehicle...

...I do make some unbelievable jungle juice though, so I can contribute that. I'm also a drinking game whore.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri May 27, 2011 6:31 pm

Hmm I have an Acadia and am definitely down for a tailgating spot. That is enough room with the trunk up to put a spread on with. I just need to look into one of those pop up tents.. Someone able to donate a table to Chris and I's weekly drinking and eating binge? Also, we need a small grill. I don't have a portable one. If we can't find one we're grilling burgers on directly on Sam's flesh- she's devilishly hot.

Wait I forgot, we're not supposed to feed her ego.

smiller1

Postby smiller1 » Fri May 27, 2011 6:39 pm

Wait I forgot, we're not supposed to feed her ego.

Mwahahahaha. Too late. You guys better watch out, or else you're going to give me a big head...which just means more room for my HUGE brain. :wink:

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat May 28, 2011 12:00 am

P.S. I hate moving and packing etc. I just finished with the loading stage. If anyone needs help moving carrying stuff closer to when orientation begins I can offer my services. Will work for a cold beer.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon May 30, 2011 9:31 pm

Anyone in IC atm want to grab a beer?

smiller1

Postby smiller1 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:07 pm

Anyone in IC atm want to grab a beer?

If I didn't have to wake up at 6 am I totally would. Next time!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue May 31, 2011 1:19 am

typ3 wrote:...Also, we need a small grill. I don't have a portable one. If we can't find one we're grilling burgers on directly on Sam's flesh- she's devilishly hot.

Meh, she's a 7. 7.5 at best.

typ3 wrote:P.S. I hate moving and packing etc. I just finished with the loading stage. If anyone needs help moving carrying stuff closer to when orientation begins I can offer my services. Will work for a cold beer.

Effing tell me about it. I just jammed all of my life into a 7 foot by 9 foot by 5 foot space, and it about killed me. I'm exhausted. One more day of employment, then 26 hour drive to Iowa on Wednesday...

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:34 am

Oops. I didn't have my contacts in. Definitely a 7.

smiller1

Postby smiller1 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:59 am

If anyone needs help moving carrying stuff closer to when orientation begins I can offer my services. Will work for a cold beer.

Word to this. I will supply a disgusting amount of booze for whoever will help me move. I'm all on my own! I don't suppose anyone has a truck or anything for moving? All I have is a tiny car. I'm screwed.

Oops. I didn't have my contacts in. Definitely a 7.

This thread is truly a roller coaster of emotions for my ego.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”