IOWA 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisbru

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby chrisbru » Thu May 12, 2011 3:10 pm

smiller1 wrote:
Get OVER yourself, nerd.

Hate, hate, hate. Why so cranky?

It's the Seattle weather. Makes me cynical. 320 days a year of gray skies and slow, torturous drizzle.

However, I'll be in a much better mood after my impending 4-day hiatus... VEGAS BABY! At this time tomorrow I'll be sitting by the pool at Wet Republic, sipping a mojito, and checking out the girls from the Vegas Hot 100 contest. This is the only thing I'm going to miss about being employed...

I fully expect a good spring break trip for our class though. Somewhere warm, but within driving distance. Anyone interested in Panama City Beach, South Padre, Phoenix, or New Orleans? Any other ideas?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:09 pm

chrisbru wrote:
smiller1 wrote:
Get OVER yourself, nerd.

It's the Seattle weather. Makes me cynical. 320 days a year of gray skies and slow, torturous drizzle.

However, I'll be in a much better mood after my impending 4-day hiatus... VEGAS BABY! At this time tomorrow I'll be sitting by the pool at Wet Republic, sipping a mojito, and checking out the girls from the Vegas Hot 100 contest. This is the only thing I'm going to miss about being employed...

I fully expect a good spring break trip for our class though. Somewhere warm, but within driving distance. Anyone interested in Panama City Beach, South Padre, Phoenix, or New Orleans? Any other ideas?

No, Chris. Summit county or bust.

goodgrief

Postby goodgrief » Thu May 12, 2011 8:28 pm

chrisbru wrote:
smiller1 wrote:
Get OVER yourself, nerd.

As a Texas Gulf Coast native, I'm going to say no South Padre. Ugh. Just no. Just go to Houston/Galveston and enjoy better food and better people.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu May 12, 2011 9:12 pm

typ3 wrote:

I thought that's what we're doing winter break? I'd like girls in bikinis over spring break, please.

goodgrief wrote:
As a Texas Gulf Coast native, I'm going to say no South Padre. Ugh. Just no. Just go to Houston/Galveston and enjoy better food and better people.

Not going for the food at all... Just booze and good times. Houston sounds fun, but is there a beach? I was thinking somewhere with a beach party atmosphere.

goodgrief

Postby goodgrief » Thu May 12, 2011 9:38 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:

I thought that's what we're doing winter break? I'd like girls in bikinis over spring break, please.

goodgrief wrote:

Not going for the food at all... Just booze and good times. Houston sounds fun, but is there a beach? I was thinking somewhere with a beach party atmosphere.

Galveston. It's mostly fixed up post-Hurricane Ike. Only about an hour away. Houston's better though - better food, better BARS.

smiller1

Postby smiller1 » Fri May 13, 2011 11:34 am

Driving... GROSS.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri May 13, 2011 5:53 pm

What's with all the withdraws for this year's class on LSN? There is a huge cap between the top candidates and the average class this year. I am guessing stats for the class are going to be down this year... which may mean that Iowa will not be climbing the rankings for next year' USNews back to where it sat the last decade. sigh.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue May 17, 2011 4:37 pm

smiller1 wrote:

Driving... GROSS.

We can fly if you want... I just like roadtrips. I'm down to do Vegas again, but I find it unlikely that even you and Ty would have been able to keep up with us this past weekend. And I'll need to take out an extra GradPlus loan. lol

typ3 wrote:What's with all the withdraws for this year's class on LSN? There is a huge cap between the top candidates and the average class this year. I am guessing stats for the class are going to be down this year... which may mean that Iowa will not be climbing the rankings for next year' USNews back to where it sat the last decade. sigh.

Until UNSWR adds "peer review of how badass the student body is" to part of the rankings...

... But yeah, after checking it out, it is kind of surprising. There were a lot of lower tier 1 schools throwing money around this year though...

smiller1

Postby smiller1 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:12 pm

So you win any money in Vegas, Chris? What did ya play?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed May 18, 2011 1:40 pm

smiller1 wrote:So you win any money in Vegas, Chris? What did ya play?

Blackjack is my game... I gambled for maybe an hour, and came out about $50 ahead in that sense.

But, I can gamble anywhere, and it's just as good as gambling in Vegas. I go to Vegas to party. That's why I only go during pool party season :-)

Berdman

Postby Berdman » Wed May 18, 2011 5:26 pm

In today off the waitlist. Got the email after hiking to the top of a mountain. Great day.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed May 18, 2011 6:17 pm

Berdman wrote:In today off the waitlist. Got the email after hiking to the top of a mountain. Great day.

Sick! What mountain? Good hike?

Oh, and the good stuff... NICE WORK! You going to come?

Congrats on being a (potential) Hawkeye!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:53 pm

Sam is the biggest gamble of all. Don't take a chance on that romance, Chris.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed May 18, 2011 6:55 pm

typ3 wrote:Sam is the biggest gamble of all. Don't take a chance on that romance, Chris.

:-)

I have a story I think you'll enjoy from Vegas, btw. Or a few of them, but one especially. Are you going to be in Boji June 3-5? Did I ask you that already? We're rolling in around midnight on Thurs the 4th with both dogs, me, and the gf, and plan to be on the boat by 9am Friday.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:49 pm

I may be. I'll let you know. It is a 50/50 right now. I will be there on the 30th to the 1st.. I'm moving my furniture my place in IC on the 1st but working out of state until classes start. I have to move out of where I'm at right now on the 28th.. blek. I could also be fishing on the 4th with some people on the Missouri river that weekend. I'm trying to get out of it though.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu May 19, 2011 12:32 pm

typ3 wrote:I may be. I'll let you know. It is a 50/50 right now. I will be there on the 30th to the 1st.. I'm moving my furniture my place in IC on the 1st but working out of state until classes start. I have to move out of where I'm at right now on the 28th.. blek. I could also be fishing on the 4th with some people on the Missouri river that weekend. I'm trying to get out of it though.

Sounds like a hassle. Keep me posted though.

THB

Postby THB » Thu May 19, 2011 1:58 pm

Berdman wrote:In today off the waitlist. Got the email after hiking to the top of a mountain. Great day.

Nice.. you give a fellow waitlister hope :D

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:26 pm

Anybody with any questions about Iowa Law or Iowa City? I'm doing my best to put off doing the write-on packet.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri May 20, 2011 1:33 pm

hawkeye22 wrote:Anybody with any questions about Iowa Law or Iowa City? I'm doing my best to put off doing the write-on packet.

Favorite places to eat and to go out?

Also: What time do 1L's usually start class in the morning? I need my beauty sleep, ya know.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri May 20, 2011 5:58 pm

chrisbru wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:Anybody with any questions about Iowa Law or Iowa City? I'm doing my best to put off doing the write-on packet.

Also: What time do 1L's usually start class in the morning? I need my beauty sleep, ya know.

ill chime in, since im also trying to put off the write-on app. favorite places to eat includes thai flavors, shorts for burgers, quintons for sandwiches, pagliai's pizza, gumbys. im also a big fan of quiznos, but everyone knows that places is awesome ;x. as far as the place i eat the most... that would be BK. :(

your class time will depend on which section you are in. i think most people started at either 8am or 10:30 most of the week. i was lucky to have the 10:30 start, which i will admit is really nice for a variety of reasons.

klm4634

Postby klm4634 » Sat May 21, 2011 5:07 pm

I have a question! I'm trying to prep for the coming fall, and the Iowa website says that they highly discourage using a Mac as far as computers go. I am definitely an Apple girl, though. Is it really that big of a deal if I have use a Mac for my law school work, or should I just suck it up and by a PC?

MoS

Postby MoS » Sat May 21, 2011 10:40 pm

I would say nearly half the students use macs. That might be an exaggeration, but I have only know one person who had mac issues, and the IT people were still able to help. SoftTest, the exam software now has a mac compatible version so you don't even have to run bootcamp. And the only people I know that have had trouble with the software during a test are PC owners. I personally have a PC and always have, I don't have any problems. My roommate has a mac and also has no problems.

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:19 am

chrisbru wrote:

Sorry for the late response!

Favorite places to eat out:

Depends on what kind of food you like. Iowa City has a ton of great restaurants. Offhand I would say Lou Henri or Leaf Kitchen for breakfast; Banditos, Bread Garden, Takinami, 126, Quinton's and Mickey's for lunch/dinner.

What time you'll have to get up:
Totally depends. Last semester I had two 8am's a week and three 10:20's a week. This semester I had three 8ams and two 9:20's. You'll probably have to get up at 8 at least two days a week. It sucks.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun May 22, 2011 2:08 pm

I was hoping no one said 8am's :-( At least it doesn't sound like it will be every day of the week. Maybe I'll get lucky!

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun May 22, 2011 2:15 pm

chrisbru wrote:I was hoping no one said 8am's :-( At least it doesn't sound like it will be every day of the week. Maybe I'll get lucky!

ya now that i think about it, out of 10 sections, only 2 didn't have a 8am at least one day of the week.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”