IOWA 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tooswolle

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby tooswolle » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:10 pm

sundance13 wrote:In at Iowa today, via e-mail!

I've been checking this topic every so often, but didn't think I'd get accepted. YAY! So excited about Iowa!

Glad to hear the good news. If you don't mind my asking how long were you in review for before hearing. I applied pretty late...and I've been on review since last week and I'm wondering if it's normal. Our numbers are around the same range so that's why I'm hopeful. Thanks and congrats again.

sundance13

Postby sundance13 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:18 pm

tooswolle wrote:
sundance13 wrote:In at Iowa today, via e-mail!

I've been checking this topic every so often, but didn't think I'd get accepted. YAY! So excited about Iowa!

Glad to hear the good news. If you don't mind my asking how long were you in review for before hearing. I applied pretty late...and I've been on review since last week and I'm wondering if it's normal. Our numbers are around the same range so that's why I'm hopeful. Thanks and congrats again.

I went complete on..like, 3/4 or something? And into review on 4/2. And then again on 4/9. I'm also an Iowa resident, which apparently helps. Good luck!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:57 pm

So.. for those of us with nothing to do between the 1st day of the draft and the 2nd who is getting up at 3 AM for the Royal Wedding?

skirschner1

Postby skirschner1 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:11 am

typ3 wrote:So.. for those of us with nothing to do between the 1st day of the draft and the 2nd who is getting up at 3 AM for the Royal Wedding?

Ha I'm still on a high from my g-men picking prince

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:22 am

skirschner1 wrote:
typ3 wrote:So.. for those of us with nothing to do between the 1st day of the draft and the 2nd who is getting up at 3 AM for the Royal Wedding?

Yea, that was a great deal for them. I am a little upset the Lions didn't draft Prince. After watching him for four years, I will say that Prince is definitely a baller and will show up on Sunday. I do think he needs to work on his technique a little. When he gets loose in his technique he gets busted. However, for 95% of the plays he is a lock down corner. I think the OSU game last year is a good game to watch on him.

skirschner1

Postby skirschner1 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:30 am

typ3 wrote:
skirschner1 wrote:

Yea, that was a great deal for them. I am a little upset the Lions didn't draft Prince. After watching him for four years, I will say that Prince is definitely a baller and will show up on Sunday. I do think he needs to work on his technique a little. When he gets loose in his technique he gets busted. However, for 95% of the plays he is a lock down corner. I think the OSU game last year is a good game to watch on him.

Yea at first I was a little upset with the pick but it's growing on me. I was actually at that osu game and he got pretty beat up by Blackmon. I would've liked to see them go o line but at least they'll be set at corner now.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:24 pm

It was on at 1 AM here... AAAANNNDDD I was fast asleep. Who gives a shit?

Vikings picking Ponder at QB... Hmm. I'm really not sure what to think about this one. It could be a brilliant pick that gives them the foundation to rebuild. Or, it could have been stupid. I guess we'll see.

ETA: We may have to watch a few Buc games to see former-Hawkeye Adrian Clayborn play... If he starts, that is.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:36 pm

chrisbru wrote:

It was on at 1 AM here... AAAANNNDDD I was fast asleep. Who gives a shit?

Vikings picking Ponder at QB... Hmm. I'm really not sure what to think about this one. It could be a brilliant pick that gives them the foundation to rebuild. Or, it could have been stupid. I guess we'll see.

ETA: We may have to watch a few Buc games to see former-Hawkeye Adrian Clayborn play... If he starts, that is.

I don't know why they didn't draft up to get a decent QB. They drafted down the last few years and got boned in the draft. Ponder isn't the franchise QB they are looking for IMO. When Gabbert was still on the board they should have drafted up. Locker is a liability though as he needs to develop as a passer a ton more. Against good defenses Locker looked.

As for the royal wedding, why watch any state / semi-historical event.. Ted Kennedy Funeral? Obama Inauguration? I am not ashamed to say I was up at 3 AM watching it.. My SO and her roomate made a full breakfast spread and bought cupcakes from a local bakery. I can't turn down free food. It was either eat at 3 or have a cold date of rejection with captain crunch at my normal breakfast time.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:44 pm

typ3 wrote:
I don't know why they didn't draft up to get a decent QB. They drafted down the last few years and got boned in the draft. Ponder isn't the franchise QB they are looking for IMO. When Gabbert was still on the board they should have drafted up. Locker is a liability though as he needs to develop as a passer a ton more. Against good defenses Locker looked.

Completely agree. To be honest, I can't remember watching Ponder play, but I doubt that he'll really kick it into gear with the Vikings. Although it is possible they could groom him into the QB they need... But, not likely. I just hope they win at least half this year, and I'll be ok with it.

typ3 wrote:As for the royal wedding, why watch any state / semi-historical event.. Ted Kennedy Funeral? Obama Inauguration? I am not ashamed to say I was up at 3 AM watching it.. My SO and her roomate made a full breakfast spread and bought cupcakes from a local bakery. I can't turn down free food. It was either eat at 3 or have a cold date of rejection with captain crunch at my normal breakfast time.

You didn't mention this. The gf wanted to watch it, but we both had to be at work at 7:30 this morning, so there was no food being offered to me :-)

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:27 pm

What are people's picks for the B1G this year?

I have Neb winning the LEG div with MSU coming in a 2 way tie with Iowa for 2nd.

I have PSU winning the LEAD div with OSU 2nd. I feel that the distractions and OSU and the firing of Tressel (just speculating) will lead to PSU taking it as they will likely be the strongest 2nd team in the division.

skirschner1

Postby skirschner1 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:42 pm

I consider myself a pretty big sports nerd but I havent really followed the big ten much in recent years. I could tell you all about the big 12 this year but not much about the big ten. Guess I'll have to do some research in my down time this summer.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon May 02, 2011 12:15 pm

skirschner1 wrote:I consider myself a pretty big sports nerd but I havent really followed the big ten much in recent years. I could tell you all about the big 12 this year but not much about the big ten. Guess I'll have to do some research in my down time this summer.

+1. Haven't followed the big ten as I was at a big 12 undergrad. I'll know what's up by the time the season hits though.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:48 pm

I am in the same boat as you chris. I can talk up the big12's history and teams a bunch.

Not as learned on the Big10. Although, I did find that the main forum for iowa fans is hawkeyenation.com

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon May 02, 2011 7:49 pm

In my effort to keep prospective students updated on information bearing on enormous life decisions, here is the list of firms (thus far) that are coming for fall OCI. I'm not sure how likely it is that this list will increase, but I figured you all would like to see it.

http://www.law.uiowa.edu/documents/2011_Early_Bird_Week_Employer_Participants.pdf
http://www.law.uiowa.edu/documents/2011_Fall_OCI_Session_Employer_Participants.pdf

Let me know if you can't see those links, I'll post in another form.

Summary: ~45 firms, vast majority from Midwest (mostly IA and MN), almost none from Chicago, and some resume collects. OCI is obviously not the only way to get a job, but it is one of the few objective measuring sticks out there, and it's better than nothing.

goodgrief

Postby goodgrief » Mon May 02, 2011 8:43 pm

Thanks for the info, traehekat! Not the best, but not the worst list I've seen.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Mon May 02, 2011 8:58 pm

thanks for the list traehekat. A question for you, what do # of rooms and multiple mean? Also, hope final week is going well for you guys.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon May 02, 2011 9:10 pm

tea_drinker wrote:thanks for the list traehekat. A question for you, what do # of rooms and multiple mean? Also, hope final week is going well for you guys.

multiple means whether or not they are interviewing for multiple offices (if the firm has multiple offices, that is). im assuming # of rooms indicates that they are interviewing in a couple different rooms either in boyd or the pomerantz center. haven't interviewed at boyd but pomerantz as a bunch of hallways with tons of small conference rooms where they interview.

finals suck. when you get here a bunch of 2Ls/3Ls (who knows, maybe myself included) will tell you at orientation that law school "changes you" and "tests you." sounded stupid and cliche to me at the time, but its true (and i consider myself pretty laid back).

the good part is you only feel this way for about a 3-4 weeks leading up to and during exams, then you get some semblance of a normal life back.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Mon May 02, 2011 11:50 pm

traehekat wrote:
finals suck. when you get here a bunch of 2Ls/3Ls (who knows, maybe myself included) will tell you at orientation that law school "changes you" and "tests you." sounded stupid and cliche to me at the time, but its true (and i consider myself pretty laid back).

I'm hoping to be an orientation leader next year and I will be telling y'all that same thing...it's quite astounding, really.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue May 03, 2011 12:35 pm

traehekat wrote:In my effort to keep prospective students updated on information bearing on enormous life decisions, here is the list of firms (thus far) that are coming for fall OCI. I'm not sure how likely it is that this list will increase, but I figured you all would like to see it.

http://www.law.uiowa.edu/documents/2011_Early_Bird_Week_Employer_Participants.pdf
http://www.law.uiowa.edu/documents/2011_Fall_OCI_Session_Employer_Participants.pdf

Summary: ~45 firms, vast majority from Midwest (mostly IA and MN), almost none from Chicago, and some resume collects. OCI is obviously not the only way to get a job, but it is one of the few objective measuring sticks out there, and it's better than nothing.

Thanks for the info! It's reassuring to see that there are some firms that have positions in Denver, Minneapolis, and Kansas City. I love Iowa, and don't mind staying there, but the possibility of leaving the state is nice to have.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:39 pm

chrisbru wrote:
traehekat wrote:In my effort to keep prospective students updated on information bearing on enormous life decisions, here is the list of firms (thus far) that are coming for fall OCI. I'm not sure how likely it is that this list will increase, but I figured you all would like to see it.

Thanks for the info! It's reassuring to see that there are some firms that have positions in Denver, Minneapolis, and Kansas City. I love Iowa, and don't mind staying there, but the possibility of leaving the state is nice to have.

Chris, we all know you're going to end back up in Des Moines. Why are you fighting it?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu May 05, 2011 2:32 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Chris, we all know you're going to end back up in Des Moines. Why are you fighting it?

Because I don't waannnnnnnaaaaaaaa. WAHHHHHHH!

smiller1

Postby smiller1 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:20 pm

DAMN. The Iowa thread I started in the 2014 forum looks pathetic compared to this one. Respect.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu May 05, 2011 5:03 pm

smiller1 wrote:DAMN. The Iowa thread I started in the 2014 forum looks pathetic compared to this one. Respect.

I'd say 20 of the 44 pages ITT are just me and Ty going back and forth. We need more friends, apparently?

Ok, so... What's everyone's favorite weekend scene? Do you like to dance to some Deadmau5 and EDM/House/Techno stylings? Live music? Bar games? House parties?

I personally love when I can pull up at the bar with a glass of bourbon, and can find some random people in the bar to get a game of darts, pool, cards, etc. going early in the night... But I'm a fan of the club scene once I'm 6 deep and trade the bourbon for vodka/redbulls.

smiller1

Postby smiller1 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:10 pm

I'd say 20 of the 44 pages ITT are just me and Ty going back and forth. We need more friends, apparently?

Haha, well consider this your tryout. I'm still on the fence after ASW. You did call me a "7."

Ok, so... What's everyone's favorite weekend scene? Do you like to dance to some Deadmau5 and EDM/House/Techno stylings? Live music? Bar games? House parties?

I personally love when I can pull up at the bar with a glass of bourbon, and can find some random people in the bar to get a game of darts, pool, cards, etc. going early in the night... But I'm a fan of the club scene once I'm 6 deep and trade the bourbon for vodka/redbulls.

This, though replace bourbon with gin. I'm super competitive so my favorite bar (life?) activities involves drinking+pool/darts/etc. Anyone here play poker? I've been wanting to get a game going forever (my girlfriends are not too fond of cards.)

Regarding clubbing...get me drunk enough and I'll embarrass the hell out of myself dancing. It's not pretty, haha. It should be noted though that the clubbing scene in IC isn't amazing. Most of the dance bars are closing/have closed.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu May 05, 2011 5:20 pm

smiller1 wrote:
Haha, well consider this your tryout. I'm still on the fence after ASW. You did call me a "7."

I'm surprised you remembered that. It must have done exactly what it was intended to do... Make you feel attractive, but just a little bit, so you still need to get my approval. And we all know the preferred method of that...

smiller1 wrote:This, though replace bourbon with gin. I'm super competitive so my favorite bar (life?) activities involves drinking+pool/darts/etc. Anyone here play poker? I've been wanting to get a game going forever (my girlfriends are not too fond of cards.)

Bleck, gin is NOT delicious. I can drink it on occasion, but would never choose it over anything else.

We should definitely get a poker game started. Finding girls that like to play poker is a hard thing to do, but they always make the game more enjoyable (if they don't suck.) I'll host at my house, since I have the space for a big game.

smiller1 wrote:Regarding clubbing...get me drunk enough and I'll embarrass the hell out of myself dancing. It's not pretty, haha. It should be noted though that the clubbing scene in IC isn't amazing. Most of the dance bars are closing/have closed.

I'm sure we'll make at least a once per semester Chicago weekend...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”