IOWA 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Keats
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby Keats » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:02 pm

Xnegd wrote:
vegenator wrote:Ok, so now my status checker reads:

Current Status: Complete
Current Status Date: 11/23/2010
Decision Status: Decision Rendered
Decision Status Date: 11/22/2010

It updated even though decision was supposedly rendered? (ISIS still says "in progress," no email, no phone call, no snail mail.... so strange...).


Anyone else have "decision rendered" :?:


Hey all, i was just gonna start a thread about this. Just saw the "Decision Rendered" on my status. No contact though. I really hope I got in!!!


Mine says "Decision Rendered" too. Can I just call them and be like, "OK, so what decision did you render?"

User avatar
Xnegd
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:06 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby Xnegd » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:04 pm

Keats wrote:
Xnegd wrote:
vegenator wrote:Ok, so now my status checker reads:

Current Status: Complete
Current Status Date: 11/23/2010
Decision Status: Decision Rendered
Decision Status Date: 11/22/2010

It updated even though decision was supposedly rendered? (ISIS still says "in progress," no email, no phone call, no snail mail.... so strange...).


Anyone else have "decision rendered" :?:


Hey all, i was just gonna start a thread about this. Just saw the "Decision Rendered" on my status. No contact though. I really hope I got in!!!


Mine says "Decision Rendered" too. Can I just call them and be like, "OK, so what decision did you render?"


+1?

User avatar
vegenator
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby vegenator » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:16 pm

So I just called the admissions office (I was going to ask whether/when we should expect decision letters [and perhaps try to sneak my decision out of them :mrgreen: ]), but it went to voicemail and they close in 14 minutes....

Perhaps tomorrow we'll know?

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby JOThompson » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:31 pm

vegenator wrote:So I just called the admissions office (I was going to ask whether/when we should expect decision letters [and perhaps try to sneak my decision out of them :mrgreen: ]), but it went to voicemail and they close in 14 minutes....

Perhaps tomorrow we'll know?

Our Thanksgiving break starts tomorrow, so I don't know if the admissions people are working. Hope you all receive favorable news.

User avatar
gdizz01
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:13 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby gdizz01 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:51 pm

preliminary waitlist as well :(

3.714 UGPA, 3.51 LSAC GPA, 165 LSAT

I forget where their medians etc. are, but I'm too bitter to look at the moment...I wanted some GOOD news before thanksgiving!

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby Barbie » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:16 pm

gdizz01 wrote:preliminary waitlist as well :(

3.714 UGPA, 3.51 LSAC GPA, 165 LSAT

I forget where their medians etc. are, but I'm too bitter to look at the moment...I wanted some GOOD news before thanksgiving!


I think you are above both medians. LSAT for sure. GPA at least close to.

Keats
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby Keats » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:17 pm

For those with "Decision Rendered" on our status checkers, should we be expecting the news to come by mail? If the office is closed for T-Giving, I'm assuming there won't be an email or phone call coming, right?

User avatar
vegenator
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby vegenator » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:06 pm

Keats wrote:For those with "Decision Rendered" on our status checkers, should we be expecting the news to come by mail? If the office is closed for T-Giving, I'm assuming there won't be an email or phone call coming, right?


I just got my acceptance letter in the mail today (dated 11/22, which is the date my decision was rendered according to my status checker). I'm in MN, so those of you further from Iowa might get some nice letters in the mail tomorrow.

From the letter it sounds like scholarships are awarded later in the cycle. It says:
"A seperate application for fellowships and scholarships is not required. All students admitted to the College of Law are automatically considered for merit scholarships and fellowships. Students who have submitted th FAFSA are also automatically considered for need-based shcolarships and fellowships."

Hope this helps! And good luck to those still waiting!

Keats
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby Keats » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:06 pm

vegenator wrote:
Keats wrote:For those with "Decision Rendered" on our status checkers, should we be expecting the news to come by mail? If the office is closed for T-Giving, I'm assuming there won't be an email or phone call coming, right?


I just got my acceptance letter in the mail today (dated 11/22, which is the date my decision was rendered according to my status checker). I'm in MN, so those of you further from Iowa might get some nice letters in the mail tomorrow.

From the letter it sounds like scholarships are awarded later in the cycle. It says:
"A seperate application for fellowships and scholarships is not required. All students admitted to the College of Law are automatically considered for merit scholarships and fellowships. Students who have submitted th FAFSA are also automatically considered for need-based shcolarships and fellowships."

Hope this helps! And good luck to those still waiting!


Congrats! I just got the same letter today.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby JOThompson » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:11 pm

Congrats on the acceptances. In my case, the scholarship letter followed 5-7 days after the admission letter.

User avatar
vegenator
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby vegenator » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:24 pm

JOThompson wrote:Congrats on the acceptances. In my case, the scholarship letter followed 5-7 days after the admission letter.


Thanks, JOThompson!
5-7 days is a really quick turnaround for scholarship info. I'm happy I got in, but it'd be absolutely fantastic to hear about schollies so soon! :)

brupe
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby brupe » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:30 pm

hey all, i never got a status checker, i just got my ISIS. anybody have a link to the status checker?!

User avatar
vegenator
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby vegenator » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:39 pm

brupe wrote:hey all, i never got a status checker, i just got my ISIS. anybody have a link to the status checker?!



The status checker email I got (containing password and user name) came 10 days after the email containing the ISIS links. You may have to email admissions to obtain your user name and password, but the checker itself is located under the quick links portion on the right hand side of the prospective student page.

http://www.law.uiowa.edu/prospective/

brupe
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby brupe » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:21 am

Thanks!

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby TommyK » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:33 am

JOThompson wrote:I'm a 1L at Iowa now. I'm happy to answer any questions about the admissions process or my experience here. The best advice I can offer is to apply early since Iowa saw a large jump in applications last cycle. People who would've normally gotten in with scholarship money at the beginning of the cycle were rejected or waitlisted after applying a couple or few months later.

Also, the school seemed to be more willing to weigh soft factors than other schools in the T20-T30 range. I know a couple applicants with interesting softs and personal statements who were accepted with scholarships despite being below median LSAT. I know that's anecdotal evidence but take it for what it's worth.

This fact may not be widely advertised, but you can qualify for instate tuition in your second and third years if you work quarter-time as an RA/TA. You're paid about minimum wage and receive subsidized healthcare. The positions seem to be available for nearly everyone interested. So if you're out of state and don't get a scholarship, Iowa still might be a financially attractive option. Good luck.


What's the town like? Can you speak to the QOL you've experienced? Are you from Iowa? If not, where do you hail from? What was the transition like?

User avatar
Xnegd
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:06 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby Xnegd » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:00 am

Thanks vegenator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope I get good news soon!!! I'm dieing to know!!!

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby JOThompson » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:02 pm

TommyK wrote:What's the town like? Can you speak to the QOL you've experienced? Are you from Iowa? If not, where do you hail from? What was the transition like?

Iowa City is a vibrant college town. Plenty of great bars and places to eat. For a town of its size, it offers a lot of amenities. It's also a pretty affordable town to reside in. People are friendly and it's generally been a very low stress place to study and live. I'm from the west coast and was terrified about adjusting to the new atmosphere (I'd wanted a big city school), but it's been great so far. I really couldn't imagine a better environment to be in for three years for me.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby TommyK » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:10 pm

JOThompson wrote:
TommyK wrote:What's the town like? Can you speak to the QOL you've experienced? Are you from Iowa? If not, where do you hail from? What was the transition like?

Iowa City is a vibrant college town. Plenty of great bars and places to eat. For a town of its size, it offers a lot of amenities. It's also a pretty affordable town to reside in. People are friendly and it's generally been a very low stress place to study and live. I'm from the west coast and was terrified about adjusting to the new atmosphere (I'd wanted a big city school), but it's been great so far. I really couldn't imagine a better environment to be in for three years for me.


Thanks for answering. Iowa is definitely on my list. Do you room with other law students? How much would one pay for rent for a two bedroom / two bathroom place?

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby JOThompson » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:23 pm

I live alone. I didn't want to risk the possibility of a distracting roommate. I spend about $670 including internet and all utilities. I live within short walking distance of law school, I probably could've saved money if I lived further out. Most people who have roommates seem to be paying about ~$500 a person. When I was scoping out the options, I found some 2BRs that were closer to $400 per person. The school has a roommate list that you can take advantage of.

hawkeye22
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby hawkeye22 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:25 pm

TommyK wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
TommyK wrote:What's the town like? Can you speak to the QOL you've experienced? Are you from Iowa? If not, where do you hail from? What was the transition like?

Iowa City is a vibrant college town. Plenty of great bars and places to eat. For a town of its size, it offers a lot of amenities. It's also a pretty affordable town to reside in. People are friendly and it's generally been a very low stress place to study and live. I'm from the west coast and was terrified about adjusting to the new atmosphere (I'd wanted a big city school), but it's been great so far. I really couldn't imagine a better environment to be in for three years for me.


Thanks for answering. Iowa is definitely on my list. Do you room with other law students? How much would one pay for rent for a two bedroom / two bathroom place?


Two bedroom/ two bathroom place would probably be about $750-800 month including utilities. I pay $715 for a two bedroom, which includes water, heat and AC. Once you know you're going to Iowa, don't delay in the housing search. There's a pretty significant undersupply.

/Iowa 1L.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby TommyK » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:27 pm

Thanks guys. Where else did you guys apply/get admitted? What made you choose Iowa? I feel like I'm derailing this thread into an "Iowa 1L/2L taking questions" thread. Sorry for those who had other intentions for this thread and thanks to you two who are willing to respond.

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby Slimpee » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:29 pm

TommyK wrote:Thanks guys. Where else did you guys apply/get admitted? What made you choose Iowa? I feel like I'm derailing this thread into an "Iowa 1L/2L taking questions" thread. Sorry for those who had other intentions for this thread and thanks to you two who are willing to respond.


Done and done.

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby Spinozist21 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:53 am

gdizz01 wrote:preliminary waitlist as well :(

3.714 UGPA, 3.51 LSAC GPA, 165 LSAT

I forget where their medians etc. are, but I'm too bitter to look at the moment...I wanted some GOOD news before thanksgiving!


Shit. I dont have a shot at all then! At least I wont get my hopes up :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
ZachOda
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:15 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby ZachOda » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:01 am

Spinozist21 wrote:
gdizz01 wrote:preliminary waitlist as well :(

3.714 UGPA, 3.51 LSAC GPA, 165 LSAT

I forget where their medians etc. are, but I'm too bitter to look at the moment...I wanted some GOOD news before thanksgiving!


Shit. I dont have a shot at all then! At least I wont get my hopes up :lol: :lol: :lol:



Well that's no fun...
What's interesting is that LSN has applicants with similar numbers getting a full scholarship... Guess this cycle is just that much more difficult (or someone on LSN wasn't being very truthful?)

hawkeye22
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: IOWA 2011

Postby hawkeye22 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:09 am

TommyK wrote:Thanks guys. Where else did you guys apply/get admitted? What made you choose Iowa? I feel like I'm derailing this thread into an "Iowa 1L/2L taking questions" thread. Sorry for those who had other intentions for this thread and thanks to you two who are willing to respond.


I applied to tons of schools, got admitted to a reasonable number of them. Some better than Iowa, some worse. I chose Iowa for two reasons: scholarship money and a suspicion that the student body was pretty cool. As it turns out, the people here are amazingly cool. Very little in the way of hardcore competitive, cutthroat bullshit. If you need to copy notes, borrow a book, etc. you'll have no problems. I'd imagine a lot of similarly ranked schools have a comparable ambiance, but for the love of god if law school was as competitive as some people/media make it out to be, it would be fucking horrible.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Assasindowntheavenue, Earlskies, JD_Kingfish, lillawyer2, nume2016, patrickkpaul, RickyBunny, Thelaw23 and 30 guests