IOWA 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisbru

Gold

Re: IOWA 2011

Post by chrisbru » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:45 pm

[quote="jam88"]Figured so much. I'm not terribly concerned, even without any scholarship it would probably still be the cheapest offer. I have a house in Iowa City so my COL will be significantly cheaper.

What's your take on finding a place that takes dogs? I'd like to not spend TOO much on rent so I can spend more on hawkeye gear and booze, and would like to be able to walk to class and the bars when it's nice out.

MalachiConstant

New

Post by MalachiConstant » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:50 pm

There is an extra form you need to fill out that the financial aid office will send you by either snail mail or email. It is a "verification" form and literally asks you the same things that FAFSA does.

Also, the ISIS financial aid award notification website updated yesterday... which is great because now I have another status checker website to obsess over.

legallyblonde:)

New

Post by legallyblonde:) » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:12 pm

amers73 wrote:^^ It can't hurt to try and negotiate. Do you have a top third stipulation on the scholarship?
Yea I have a top 1/3 stipulation. I've read all the negotiation stuff on the TLS forum but still don't really know how I would approach it. Minnesota offered me a little $ and still waiting to hear from WUSTL...is an acceptance to MN enough leverage? I guess the worst they could say is no...

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:03 pm

legallyblonde:) wrote:
amers73 wrote:^^ It can't hurt to try and negotiate. Do you have a top third stipulation on the scholarship?
Yea I have a top 1/3 stipulation. I've read all the negotiation stuff on the TLS forum but still don't really know how I would approach it. Minnesota offered me a little $ and still waiting to hear from WUSTL...is an acceptance to MN enough leverage? I guess the worst they could say is no...

No, unfortunately only a higher scholarship at MN will be worth anything... Especially since your tuition to Iowa is much loser to start with.

bbermud

Bronze

Post by bbermud » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:09 pm

just got wait-listed at northwestern with a 153. i figure the admissions board has read so many applications by now, they have resorted to smoking crack.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sebastian0622

Bronze

Post by sebastian0622 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:36 pm

I have a top 37.5% rider on my scholarship at U of I and my advice, honestly, is to bail on it and accept something else. I passed up Vandy and Cornell to take a U of I full ride and kind of regret it. I mean, I really like my peers and have no reason to believe that the quality of education is any lower here than anywhere else, but the scholarship requirement adds unnecessary stress to law school. I'm not saying I'm going to lose my scholarship: I'm saying that it doesn't matter. You're going to spend half of your first year stressing about it before you even get ANY feedback, then you're going to be stressing your rank for the rest of law school. You don't need any additional stress in law school considering that you'll have other attractive options at this point. Oh, and OCI and job prospects suck here from what I can tell. If you're good enough to get full ride at Iowa, take half-ride or walk on at a better school if Iowa has a requirement. Take it from the guy who has been there. :D

Other than that, I like Iowa, so for everyone else I'd say come on in and join the fun.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:46 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:
I have a top 37.5% rider on my scholarship at U of I and my advice, honestly, is to bail on it and accept something else. I passed up Vandy and Cornell to take a U of I full ride and kind of regret it. I mean, I really like my peers and have no reason to believe that the quality of education is any lower here than anywhere else, but the scholarship requirement adds unnecessary stress to law school. I'm not saying I'm going to lose my scholarship: I'm saying that it doesn't matter. You're going to spend half of your first year stressing about it before you even get ANY feedback, then you're going to be stressing your rank for the rest of law school. You don't need any additional stress in law school considering that you'll have other attractive options at this point. Oh, and OCI and job prospects suck here from what I can tell. If you're good enough to get full ride at Iowa, take half-ride or walk on at a better school if Iowa has a requirement. Take it from the guy who has been there. :D

Other than that, I like Iowa, so for everyone else I'd say come on in and join the fun.
Take minnesota with $ for job placement IMO.

A lot of UofI grads go to Minneapolis but they lose out to the home crowd kids for the best jobs.

Prairie

Bronze

Post by Prairie » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:15 am

sebastian0622 wrote: You're going to spend half of your first year stressing about it before you even get ANY feedback, then you're going to be stressing your rank for the rest of law school.
But, don't you stress about your rank anyway? Isn't that the stat that matters for jobs anyway? If you're going to be stressed about your rank anyway (because it seems like you should!--it's all about jobs!), why not do it for far less money?

So,
sebastian0622 wrote: You don't need any additional stress in law school considering that you'll have other attractive options at this point.
, this seems a moot point.
sebastian0622 wrote:Oh, and OCI and job prospects suck here from what I can tell. If you're good enough to get full ride at Iowa, take half-ride or walk on at a better school if Iowa has a requirement.
On the other hand, this seems like relevant feedback for us potential Hawkeyes.

sebastian0622

Bronze

Post by sebastian0622 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:01 am

Prairie wrote:
sebastian0622 wrote: You're going to spend half of your first year stressing about it before you even get ANY feedback, then you're going to be stressing your rank for the rest of law school.
But, don't you stress about your rank anyway? Isn't that the stat that matters for jobs anyway? If you're going to be stressed about your rank anyway (because it seems like you should!--it's all about jobs!), why not do it for far less money?

So,
sebastian0622 wrote: You don't need any additional stress in law school considering that you'll have other attractive options at this point.
sebastian0622 wrote:Oh, and OCI and job prospects suck here from what I can tell. If you're good enough to get full ride at Iowa, take half-ride or walk on at a better school if Iowa has a requirement.
Stress is not a binary. Yes, you are going to be stressed about your class rank "anyway." However, you are going to be stressed out more if your scholarship is dependent on your grades. Besides, I think a lot of people don't really care about grades. If you're not wanting a big-firm job or fed clerkship, grades are not unimportant, but they're not nearly as big a deal as they're made out to be. In this economy, your personality, interview skills, networking and prior work history are each just as important for the rest of the jobs out there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:16 am

sebastian0622 wrote:
Prairie wrote:

So,
Stress is not a binary. Yes, you are going to be stressed about your class rank "anyway." However, you are going to be stressed out more if your scholarship is dependent on your grades. Besides, I think a lot of people don't really care about grades. If you're not wanting a big-firm job or fed clerkship, grades are not unimportant, but they're not nearly as big a deal as they're made out to be. In this economy, your personality, interview skills, networking and prior work history are each just as important for the rest of the jobs out there.
Grades are most important for the people straight out of undergrad who have a light resume and the people vying for big law.

For every person in the top 50% there has to be someone who isn't. There are obviously people in Law school who may care about grades but don't care enough to make it an obsession like some.

Prairie

Bronze

Post by Prairie » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:08 am

I see both of your points. However, I feel I am already going to be so focused on grades that the "added" stress worrying about a scholarship will be only marginally higher than if I didn't have a stipulation attached to it.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:58 am

Prairie wrote:I see both of your points. However, I feel I am already going to be so focused on grades that the "added" stress worrying about a scholarship will be only marginally higher than if I didn't have a stipulation attached to it.
I've never heard anyone on scholarship with a stipulation say the added stress was marginal.

It might not be overwhelming, but it will certainly up the stakes.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:36 pm

Prairie wrote:I see both of your points. However, I feel I am already going to be so focused on grades that the "added" stress worrying about a scholarship will be only marginally higher than if I didn't have a stipulation attached to it.
This is irrelevant for almost every person on TLS... We're ALL going to stress the eff out about trying for top 10%, let alone top third.

There is no way that I can imagine taking $120k in debt at WUSTL with no stips to be a better idea than full at Iowa.

Or there's my TTT full-ride with no stips at St. Thomas.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mss455

Bronze

Post by mss455 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:54 pm

Went IR Friday 2/18 after sitting complete since 11/30 !!!

Prairie

Bronze

Post by Prairie » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:17 pm

chrisbru wrote:
This is irrelevant for almost every person on TLS... We're ALL going to stress the eff out about trying for top 10%, let alone top third.
Or there's my TTT full-ride with no stips at St. Thomas.
My point exactly. Also, unless you have a different full at St. Thomas than me, there is a very minor stip: a C average, if I remember correctly.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:25 pm

Prairie wrote:
My point exactly. Also, unless you have a different full at St. Thomas than me, there is a very minor stip: a C average, if I remember correctly.
I guess you're right... Although, a 2.0 stipulation might as well be no stip :-)

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:57 pm

In at Iowa via status checker. Any word on scholly info yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bbermud

Bronze

Post by bbermud » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:58 pm

drummerboy wrote:In at Iowa via status checker. Any word on scholly info yet?

Congrats!!!

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:28 pm

thanks. ill be visiting from s. florida in march. should be fun

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:43 am

Most of it has been given out, but they will likely send out another round to top candidates after the deadline has closed.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:10 am

typ3 wrote:
Most of it has been given out, but they will likely send out another round to top candidates after the deadline has closed.
How could you possibly know this for sure? Do you work in the Iowa admissions office?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:15 am

what deadline are you referring to.

bbermud

Bronze

Post by bbermud » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:08 pm

I just got this really nice and long email from a Iowa Law grad talking about his experience at Iowa and his experience in New York at his current law firm both relating to international law(the type of law i am interested in). he also invited me to call and/or email him if i had any questions that he could assist me with. is this the norm? has anyone else received something like this? while the gesture is really nice and makes me like iowa even more , i am somewhat confused because i am not scholly material..

bookofcarpetsamples

New

Post by bookofcarpetsamples » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:14 pm

i've actually received several really nice emails from professors, grads and current students (one from south florida, where i live now) telling me about their experiences and offering to answer any questions i have. iowa was already a really far reach for me, but they're still making a real effort to make me feel welcome...nice touch.

corvettekid

New

Post by corvettekid » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:50 pm

Last edited by corvettekid on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”