IOWA 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
maggiesimonson

New

Re: IOWA 2011

Post by maggiesimonson » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:51 pm

Got my first packet about orientation, etc.! I thought it would be a little more informative. Any predictions what we do for a week of orientation?

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:05 pm

maggiesimonson wrote:Got my first packet about orientation, etc.! I thought it would be a little more informative. Any predictions what we do for a week of orientation?

According to previous posters, orientation is geared around a final test that everyone passes regardless of their performance. In light of this, the majority of TLSers will be grilling, golfing, and bar crawling before classes hit. I don't know about the normal zerg though- they'll probably be gunning for a trivial exam.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:21 pm

maahs07 wrote:
An Iowa grad might struggle to find even small firm work in Iowa without connections ITE. The OCI and Career Services at Iowa are pretty lacking, which only makes an already difficult job hunt even tougher. If you find a job, it will most likely be without any assistance from the school. I know several 3Ls who didn't have any job offers by graduation despite mass mailing and the emaciated OCI process. That's mainly a product of a horrible legal market and our geography though. We don't have a large home market to rely on and the other markets, i.e. Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis, etc. are increasingly competitive. Iowa is a good school for the immediate region, but I'd advise people to limit their optimism for mobility and/or type of practice.
It is ironic that a selling point during admitted students day was that Iowa has an advantage geographically as a midwestern hub between Chi, Mpls, Stl, KC, and DSM. Is this still the case or does it seem that less students are finding jobs throughout the bigger midwestern cities? Obviously the market is affecting placement everywhere so it is difficult to distinguish between geography and economy.
In a GOOD economy it a great attribute, but ITE it is a horrible one. Because Iowa isn't a local school for any of these markets, it is one of the first schools that gets cut from the list of schools firms plan to visit during OCI. Since we don't have much of a home market, that doesn't leave much. I wish I could give you all some more numbers, but I just don't have them. A 3L told me a couple weeks ago that he estimates about half of his class is looking at unemployment. The post from the recent graduate earlier in this thread suggests that is an understatement, and I wouldn't be surprised if that were true. I can tell you we have most of the major Iowa and Minnesota firms coming for OCI, and then a handful of firms from Chicago, Madison/Milwaukee, Kansas City, Omaha, etc. I estimate most of these markets are hard to crack without ties (hell, even Iowa, despite the fact you will be an IOWA student). All of them, btw, have the traditional GPA cutoffs (top third, quarter, 15%, etc.).

It's tough. Iowa is a great school and has even better people. But the economy is such that a school like Iowa, with its geographical location and non-T14ness, is going to struggle a lot.

maggiesimonson

New

Post by maggiesimonson » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:10 pm

typ3 wrote:
maggiesimonson wrote:Got my first packet about orientation, etc.! I thought it would be a little more informative. Any predictions what we do for a week of orientation?

According to previous posters, orientation is geared around a final test that everyone passes regardless of their performance. In light of this, the majority of TLSers will be grilling, golfing, and bar crawling before classes hit. I don't know about the normal zerg though- they'll probably be gunning for a trivial exam.
I just finished moving in and got a grill for my deck! Def. down. Burgers/Brats & Mikes <3

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:19 pm

typ3 wrote:

Yup, this is my plan. I also plan to LOL at the ones studying 6 hours a night after orientation days for this prelim pass/fail exam.

As for the ITE comments... Yeah, but whatever. Everyone is hurting, and no one knows what it's going to be like 2 years from now when us 0L's are thinking about OCI for 3L year. At least I'm going to a school that won't break the bank if I end up back in finance after graduation (which I really don't think will happen.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:23 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:

I also plan to LOL at the ones studying 6 hours a night after orientation days for this prelim pass/fail exam.
Laughing at frittatas? Shame on you Ruxin.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:29 am

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:

I also plan to LOL at the ones studying 6 hours a night after orientation days for this prelim pass/fail exam.
Laughing at frittatas? Shame on you Ruxin.
You. I like you.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:08 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:

As for the ITE comments... Yeah, but whatever. Everyone is hurting, and no one knows what it's going to be like 2 years from now when us 0L's are thinking about OCI for 3L year. At least I'm going to a school that won't break the bank if I end up back in finance after graduation (which I really don't think will happen.)
"Everyone is hurting" dangerously oversimplifies the problem. Law school is not the universally horrible choice that many TLSers claim it is, but it's still a significant risk even if you're not paying sticker or out of state. Other 2Ls on this forum are just pointing that out. If you're making a truly informed decision that fits your goals (not simply "yeah, whatever" or the slightly more excusable "I hope the market recovers in three years") and still want to matriculate, then that's awesome. Otherwise, do not say you weren't warned.

klm4634

New

Post by klm4634 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Edit: The information is really helpful, so thanks!
Last edited by klm4634 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:31 pm

Edit: Not going to say anything else on the matter. Good luck next year.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:19 pm

Thanks for your insight JOT.

maahs07

New

Post by maahs07 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:23 pm

Thanks for the input JOT.

Anybody gunna be in Coralville when RAGBRAI rolls through this year? I think it stops there on Fri July 29th. I'm def planning on being down there for that night (and maybe riding for a day). It stopped in my hometown a few years back and it was a blast.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:54 pm

maahs07 wrote:Thanks for the input JOT.

Anybody gunna be in Coralville when RAGBRAI rolls through this year? I think it stops there on Fri July 29th. I'm def planning on being down there for that night (and maybe riding for a day). It stopped in my hometown a few years back and it was a blast.
I'm thinking about doing Grinell to Coralville, and maybe the day before or day after that as well! I'll definitely be there to party either way.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jgalgano

New

Post by jgalgano » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am

Looks like everybody is gearing up for the Fall. I myself will be back in Iowa City the first week of August and looking forward to meeting everyone at orientation. I am a family man so will not be able to take advantage of all the wild and crazy times you all will be having, but will definitely looking forward to cracking beers with all of you at some point (any pilsner will do to answer a previous post on beer selections). Is everybody living in the Iowa City/Coralville area?

theothertiffany

New

Post by theothertiffany » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:07 am

typ3 wrote:According to previous posters, orientation is geared around a final test that everyone passes regardless of their performance. In light of this, the majority of TLSers will be grilling, golfing, and bar crawling before classes hit.
Speaking of golf, has anyone seen this? http://livingsocial.com/deals/48830-rou ... _4588email

lcw

New

Post by lcw » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:35 pm

According to previous posters, orientation is geared around a final test that everyone passes regardless of their performance. In light of this, the majority of TLSers will be grilling, golfing, and bar crawling before classes hit.
Hey, rising Iowa 2L here, I was addicted to this board last summer before I started so I thought I'd pop in and see what was happening with the new class. Just a word of caution re: orientation week, even though everyone passes test, the greater motivation for doing a reasonable amount of studying for Intro to Legal Reasoning is that the professors are going to teach the course as sort of a baptism by fire via the Socratic Method. The studying is more to avoid sounding like an idiot when you're called on (whenever that might be). This is not to say that you should go overboard with studying, but I wouldn't totally blow it off either.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:40 pm

lcw wrote:
According to previous posters, orientation is geared around a final test that everyone passes regardless of their performance. In light of this, the majority of TLSers will be grilling, golfing, and bar crawling before classes hit.
Hey, rising Iowa 2L here, I was addicted to this board last summer before I started so I thought I'd pop in and see what was happening with the new class. Just a word of caution re: orientation week, even though everyone passes test, the greater motivation for doing a reasonable amount of studying for Intro to Legal Reasoning is that the professors are going to teach the course as sort of a baptism by fire via the Socratic Method. The studying is more to avoid sounding like an idiot when you're called on (whenever that might be). This is not to say that you should go overboard with studying, but I wouldn't totally blow it off either.
the funny thing about that intro exam is that it is pass/fail, but they still give you an actual score and then provide data that indicates a correlation between having a high score on the intro exam and doing well your first year. very stupid, IMO, because all it does is freak people out before the semester even begins and gives a few others big heads.

you guys are all fine though, because there is also a correlation between reading stuff on TLS/doing well in law school :P

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:26 pm

Happy American Day, Hawkeyes! Who's celebrating?

I'm headed out now for brunch at a skeevy diner, then drinking a case of bud heavy.

goodgrief

New

Post by goodgrief » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:29 pm

Only one more month until I'm moved into my apartment in Coralville! Who all is getting excited for law school? And who is prepared for that excitement to be crushed under a mountain of reading and stress? :D

jgalgano

New

Post by jgalgano » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:45 am

Bring it!!! :P

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:31 pm

goodgrief wrote:Only one more month until I'm moved into my apartment in Coralville! Who all is getting excited for law school? And who is prepared for that excitement to be crushed under a mountain of reading and stress? :D
I am pretty strong so I don't believe the books will weigh me down. For everything else in life there is valium and bar night.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:12 am

typ3 wrote:
goodgrief wrote:Only one more month until I'm moved into my apartment in Coralville! Who all is getting excited for law school? And who is prepared for that excitement to be crushed under a mountain of reading and stress? :D
I am pretty strong so I don't believe the books will weigh me down. For everything else in life there is valium and bar night.
Valium is for pussies. Nerd.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:21 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:
Valium is for pussies. Nerd.
Well, it sounds like goodgrief is already scared of the workload and is probably stocking up on it.

My destresser of choice, as stated earlier, is Macallan18.

Drink on.

goodgrief

New

Post by goodgrief » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:10 am

typ3 wrote: Well, it sounds like goodgrief is already scared of the workload and is probably stocking up on it.

My destresser of choice, as stated earlier, is Macallan18.

Drink on.

I wouldn't say scared. Just realistic about the possibility, and prepared.

I've recently found myself loving Islay Scotch whiskies after I received a bottle of Laphroaig for my birthday. Of course, I can always turn to my good friend, the gin martini.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:28 pm

goodgrief wrote:
I wouldn't say scared. Just realistic about the possibility, and prepared.

I've recently found myself loving Islay Scotch whiskies after I received a bottle of Laphroaig for my birthday. Of course, I can always turn to my good friend, the gin martini.
+1 on the Macallan. Or any of the Glen's.

I haven't gotten into any of the Islay Scotches yet, but I may have to try.

As for gin... Bleck. Tastes like pine needles.

Summary of things Chris drinks:
1. Scotch, neat (Macallan 18 preferred, J&B if I'm feeling poor)
2. Bourbon, rocks (Makers preferred, but typically get Jim Beam)
3. Beer (bud/bud light/mich golden for drinking games, marathon drinking, when I'm driving, any other time it depends on my mood... But usually dark beers.)
4. Vodka w/ water and lime, for when wells are the special

I'll stray from that list from time to time, but not often.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”