IOWA 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TurkeyDay

New

Re: IOWA 2011

Post by TurkeyDay » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:36 pm

chrisbru wrote:Sorry to derail the parking debate... But I'm bored. Anyone down to have a drunken board/card/other game night once a week or so?
So down for this. I'll bring Balderdash. Preferably + wine.

maahs07

New

Post by maahs07 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:42 pm

smiller1 wrote:
Just bring Sam with you everywhere... She'll make it so you're never embarrassing yourself by comparison.
This is true. And if you want to feel smart, hang out with Chris for that same effect.
And if I want to feel awkward, bring both and watch the magic unfold :D

Just bring Sam with you everywhere... She'll make it so you're never embarrassing yourself by comparison. And definitely on golf and such. When do you move? Week of aug 8th should be epic since most of us will be there with nothing to so but drink, golf, drink, hang out, drink, play games, drink and sleep.
I'll be down August 4th for good...and probably be down a couple of random days before then (RAGBRAI). But I think you covered the plan for the week of Aug 7 - 14th... minus the sleep.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:43 pm

What is the latest on a TLS meet up before classes start?

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:03 pm

So I am pretty sure you guys are going to get your registration info very soon if you haven't already. I was was on ISIS looking at classes and all the 1L classes have people registered in them. They didn't earlier this week. It looks like your sections have 17-18 people in them. That's kind of small. I wonder if they cut back on class size this year.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:52 pm

MoS wrote:So I am pretty sure you guys are going to get your registration info very soon if you haven't already. I was was on ISIS looking at classes and all the 1L classes have people registered in them. They didn't earlier this week. It looks like your sections have 17-18 people in them. That's kind of small. I wonder if they cut back on class size this year.
How large was Section 4?

P.S. Sup?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:19 pm

JOThompson wrote:
MoS wrote:So I am pretty sure you guys are going to get your registration info very soon if you haven't already. I was was on ISIS looking at classes and all the 1L classes have people registered in them. They didn't earlier this week. It looks like your sections have 17-18 people in them. That's kind of small. I wonder if they cut back on class size this year.
How large was Section 4?

P.S. Sup?
It was over 20. Seems like it was 22.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:36 pm

is there somewhere where we can view the class info before the packets arrive? I would think that you could check for us individually mos ;) <3
nvm I found what you were referring to..

Looks like the 2014 class size is 178.

That's a 10% class size cut since 2008, not sure if this was done because of the economy or just a bad year for matriculates.

skirschner1

New

Post by skirschner1 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:12 am

Not to get off track here but have you guys played Finkbine? I was up last week and played twice. Probably one of the harder courses I've come across, but I'm still down for a week of golf and other activities.

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:52 am

typ3 wrote:is there somewhere where we can view the class info before the packets arrive? I would think that you could check for us individually mos ;) <3
nvm I found what you were referring to..

Looks like the 2014 class size is 178.

That's a 10% class size cut since 2008, not sure if this was done because of the economy or just a bad year for matriculates.
I have an 8am class on Friday, which sucks! Does any know how we can find out our section number?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jgalgano

New

Post by jgalgano » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:15 am

So my 1L professors are:

Eric Anderson (Contracts), Sheldon Kurtz (Property), Christina Bohannan (Torts), and Caroline Sheerin (Legal Writing)

Any 2 or 3L's have any information about them?

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:37 am

jgalgano wrote:So my 1L professors are:

Eric Anderson (Contracts), Sheldon Kurtz (Property), Christina Bohannan (Torts), and Caroline Sheerin (Legal Writing)

The Iowa Student Bar Association collects student feedback on professors (or at least the did). Here is a link:

http://www.uiowa.edu/~isba/documents.html

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:38 am

I am in section 8 and have the same professors as Jglano.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:06 am

I haven't had Andersen, but he's a pleasure to work with outside of class. He's always friendly and helpful in administrative matters.

Kurtz is great but difficult from what I hear. Green book :P

Bohannan is a solid professor. Very engaging and bright. Count yourself lucky if you have her instead of her husband. Hovenkamp is cool but his lecture style is scattered.

I won't say much about my grievances with Sheerin but I will offer some advice. Pester her frequently, show her how important her advice is to you. Speak up loudly and frequently in class. Don't miss even one class period. Then you'll probably be fine.

Edited for civility.
Last edited by JOThompson on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jgalgano

New

Post by jgalgano » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:20 am

Wow thanks for the feed back JOThompson!

I am looking forward to meeting Bohannan as she was the one I was told to speak with in regards to IP law (plus she is a former Gator!)

Sheerin sounds sketchy but I guess one out of four bad professors is pretty good....

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:22 am

I think your professor lineup is pretty decent. You'll have fun.

I'm a little grouchy at Sheerin, but I do think she's a smart lady. I think she was fairly effective at teaching the topic. I just have issues with how she handles conflicts and mistakes.

smiller1

New

Post by smiller1 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:28 am

I have an 8am class on Friday, which sucks! Does any know how we can find out our section number?
I have an 8am Friday class as well, though I'm totally cool with that. After having to be at work everyday at 7 am, I've perfected the hungover get-your-ass-out-of-bed early routine. Plus, our weekends are going to start at 10 am! Which is awesome.

You can find out your section number by looking at the last 3 digits of your course number (ex. 091:364:002 would mean you're section 2. This last number will be the same for all of your classes.)

I'm section 2...anyone else out there? And how great is it we don't have Thursday classes?! :)

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:45 am

JOThompson wrote:

I haven't had Andersen, but he's a pleasure to work with outside of class. He's always friendly and helpful in administrative matters.

Bohannan is a solid professor. Very engaging and bright. Count yourself lucky if you have her instead of her husband. Hovenkamp is cool but his lecture style is scattered.

Sheerin is not ethically qualified to be a professor. She incorrectly entered my grade and then refused to explain it. I was no-offered for jobs on that basis. When she finally fixed it, she didn't even apologize to me. It took me weeks of appeals and meetings with other professors/staff to pressure her to spend a minute to talk to me about it.
I was in the same section, so I don't have a lot to add.

People really seemed to like Kurtz. My roommate had him. He really likes to call on people. He will joke around in class. And JO is right about the Green Book. Read it, read it again, then read it three more times for good measure. Final: All multiple choice, three hours, everyone says it takes the whole time.

I don't know much about Bohannan, except that if you are rude she will comment on it (from what I hear). Final: One or two issue spotter essays and multiple choice. (Not sure if it's open or closed book)

I had Sheerin. She's really nice in class. But I would agree with JO, don't expect to be a better writer after LAWR or LAWRII. They are teaching a format, that is it.

As for anyone who might be wondering about other professor I have actually had,

Gallanis (Property): Probably the best organized class I have had. He is also one of the nicest professors in the building, which is saying something, because everyone is pretty nice. Sometimes he forgets that he has called on you and you end up being called six days in a row. If you really don't want to get called on sit midway between the middle and leftside (from the view of the prof) I wouldn't recommend this. I do better is classes I get called on a lot. Oh and he uses a different book than the other property professors. Final:Open book, not open note. One part definitions (easy but a time suck if you don't read), One Policy essay, One issue spotter.

Linder: You will hate linder's class for the first two-four weeks, guaranteed. Some of you will begin to like the class, I did. Some of you will continue hating it. He has a plain language requirement for most of the class, meaning you have to explain the cases without legalese. Generally, he won't call on you if you don't raise your hand. I, for some reason, was the exception to that rule. BUT class participation is really important. It WILL help your grade. But its also almost guaranteed if you say something he will argue the opposite so be prepared to back up anything you say. Final: Eight hour take home exam. Two questions, two page max for each answer. It can be done in three hours, most people take 7-8. I'd recommend using as much time as you can.

Hovenkamp: As JO said, he has a very scattered lecture style. I wouldn't tune out during those side notes though. It likely they will matter either in the future or on the test. He will say he won't test on something, and he will test on it. In fact, he said he wouldn't test on the Coase theorem and there were three questions on the final about the Coase Theorem. On that note, maybe brush up on some basic economics if you have him. If you're a cute girl you will be called on and probably assaulted in some quasi sexual way in a hypo he comes up with. Final: Closed note, One essay (issue spotter) and multiple choice test. Maybe the funniest thing I have seen in class was someone asking for an example of a multiple choice test. Hovenkamp responded "Have you never taken a multiple choice test? There will be a question stem and then four or five possible answers, one will be correct."

Matsumotto (aka Barry): I didn't have him for property but I had him for Con law. Most people seem to think his grading style is random. He is a lecture professor, so he won't call on hardly anyone except for the first week or so. He teaches the class like an outline. So take good notes. My understanding is he doesn't like property so the class is really dry. Final: Closed book, all essay.

Falkoff: Her class is not at all helpful, this is pretty much the consensus. BUT if you meet with her outside of class, one on one, she is helpful. Again I should say, don't expect to be a better writer after LAWR.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:29 am

smiller1 wrote:helpful information
thanks. Also, awesome and helpful posts, JO and MoS. And I just realize I only have three weeks left of this summer. :(

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:40 am

MoS wrote:
JOThompson wrote:

Sheerin is not ethically qualified to be a professor. She incorrectly entered my grade and then refused to explain it. I was no-offered for jobs on that basis. When she finally fixed it, she didn't even apologize to me. It took me weeks of appeals and meetings with other professors/staff to pressure her to spend a minute to talk to me about it.
I was in the same section, so I don't have a lot to add.

People really seemed to like Kurtz. My roommate had him. He really likes to call on people. He will joke around in class. And JO is right about the Green Book. Read it, read it again, then read it three more times for good measure. Final: All multiple choice, three hours, everyone says it takes the whole time.

I don't know much about Bohannan, except that if you are rude she will comment on it (from what I hear). Final: One or two issue spotter essays and multiple choice. (Not sure if it's open or closed book)

I had Sheerin. She's really nice in class. But I would agree with JO, don't expect to be a better writer after LAWR or LAWRII. They are teaching a format, that is it.

As for anyone who might be wondering about other professor I have actually had,

Gallanis (Property): Probably the best organized class I have had. He is also one of the nicest professors in the building, which is saying something, because everyone is pretty nice. Sometimes he forgets that he has called on you and you end up being called six days in a row. If you really don't want to get called on sit midway between the middle and leftside (from the view of the prof) I wouldn't recommend this. I do better is classes I get called on a lot. Oh and he uses a different book than the other property professors. Final:Open book, not open note. One part definitions (easy but a time suck if you don't read), One Policy essay, One issue spotter.

Linder: You will hate linder's class for the first two-four weeks, guaranteed. Some of you will begin to like the class, I did. Some of you will continue hating it. He has a plain language requirement for most of the class, meaning you have to explain the cases without legalese. Generally, he won't call on you if you don't raise your hand. I, for some reason, was the exception to that rule. BUT class participation is really important. It WILL help your grade. But its also almost guaranteed if you say something he will argue the opposite so be prepared to back up anything you say. Final: Eight hour take home exam. Two questions, two page max for each answer. It can be done in three hours, most people take 7-8. I'd recommend using as much time as you can.

Hovenkamp: As JO said, he has a very scattered lecture style. I wouldn't tune out during those side notes though. It likely they will matter either in the future or on the test. He will say he won't test on something, and he will test on it. In fact, he said he wouldn't test on the Coase theorem and there were three questions on the final about the Coase Theorem. On that note, maybe brush up on some basic economics if you have him. If you're a cute girl you will be called on and probably assaulted in some quasi sexual way in a hypo he comes up with. Final: Closed note, One essay (issue spotter) and multiple choice test. Maybe the funniest thing I have seen in class was someone asking for an example of a multiple choice test. Hovenkamp responded "Have you never taken a multiple choice test? There will be a question stem and then four or five possible answers, one will be correct."

Matsumotto (aka Barry): I didn't have him for property but I had him for Con law. Most people seem to think his grading style is random. He is a lecture professor, so he won't call on hardly anyone except for the first week or so. He teaches the class like an outline. So take good notes. My understanding is he doesn't like property so the class is really dry. Final: Closed book, all essay.

Falkoff: Her class is not at all helpful, this is pretty much the consensus. BUT if you meet with her outside of class, one on one, she is helpful. Again I should say, don't expect to be a better writer after LAWR.
All well said.

A couple things I would add.

Linder: He may not volunteer this, but he does like to see case authority. I made plenty of conclusory arguments but backed them up with citations and I still did well (my best grade all year). Separate from your outline, I suggest making a list of every case holding (one sentence each). When you get the essay question, spot your issues and write down your initial thoughts. Then skim through your case holdings, pick out every relevant ruling, and structure your answer around those.

Gallanis: The definitions are basically free points. If you have committed everything to memory, then great. If not, have your index tabbed, look up the unfamiliar terms, and add detail plus some super brief analysis if you have time. If a term is ambiguous or has multiple applications, talk about both. Don't be afraid to challenge a definition that seems off. There was a typo on our test this year.

Falkoff: Yeah, she's cool during conference but otherwise not at all. I feel like like my skills actually devolved after LAWR I and II. Take anything she tells you with a grain of salt. One day, she'll tell you to make X change. On your final draft, she'll probably chastise you for making that same modification. There's really no way to win with her.

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:11 pm

It looks like I will have Lorie E Reins-Schweer for LAWR. Does any current student have her before? If so, how do you feel about her class?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:14 pm

Section 3 WOOT! Great schedule.

So, let's post full schedules so that we can figure out which sections are together in large group Lecture?

Contracts 2:20P - 3:40P MTW 225 BLB Steven Burton
Lg Anlys Wrt Rsch I 11:30A - 12:30P TW 275 BLB Lorie E Reins-Schweer
Property 10:30A - 12:30P RF 285 BLB Barry D Matsumoto
Torts 12:40P - 2:00P MTW 235 BLB Christina Bohannan

Any feedback on these professors that hasn't been given (I haven't read prior posts yet, whoops)

maahs07 wrote:
smiller1 wrote:
Just bring Sam with you everywhere... She'll make it so you're never embarrassing yourself by comparison.
This is true. And if you want to feel smart, hang out with Chris for that same effect.
And if I want to feel awkward, bring both and watch the magic unfold :D
Yup. Just wait.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:37 pm

Oh, and Carrasco didn't teach contracts last year, but I hear his class is really hard. A couple years ago he made a girl cry on the first day of class. But on that note, everyone says you really learn contracts in his class. He's not a very nice person if you ask me. But he doesn't get paid to be nice. I know one person who asked to be his RA and in the interview he asked her why she didn't make an A in LAWR.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:41 pm

MoS wrote:Oh, and Carrasco didn't teach contracts last year, but I hear his class is really hard. A couple years ago he made a girl cry on the first day of class. But on that note, everyone says you really learn contracts in his class. He's not a very nice person if you ask me. But he doesn't get paid to be nice. I know one person who asked to be his RA and in the interview he asked her why she didn't make an A in LAWR.
"Are you a poor writer or did you just not exert any effort in LAWR?"

lcw

New

Post by lcw » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:42 pm

So my 1L professors are:

Another 2L here. I was in a different section but had many of the same professors as JOThompson and MoS. I think their assessments of the professors are generally accurate. I also second their assessments of Falkoff but I actually really enjoyed Sheerin's teaching style. The gist of LAWR involves showing up to all classes, participating in class, giving some careful thought to your papers, and writing within the structure the profs. give you in class.

Kurtz was my favorite professor from all of last year. I had him for property and then picked him for my elective in the spring (Business Assoc.). Kurtz is great, keeps you on your toes, and actually makes future interest problems interesting. His property final is all multiple choice and will take the majority of people the full four hours. Make sure to read the Green Book multiple times once he assigns it (no need to do it before that time). Things start making sense around the third time through.

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:44 pm

chrisbru wrote:Section 3 WOOT! Great schedule.

So, let's post full schedules so that we can figure out which sections are together in large group Lecture?

Contracts 2:20P - 3:40P MTW 225 BLB Steven Burton
Lg Anlys Wrt Rsch I 11:30A - 12:30P TW 275 BLB Lorie E Reins-Schweer
Property 10:30A - 12:30P RF 285 BLB Barry D Matsumoto
Torts 12:40P - 2:00P MTW 235 BLB Christina Bohannan

Any feedback on these professors that hasn't been given (I haven't read prior posts yet, whoops)
I am Section 4. We have the same contract lecture, but an earlier section of property with Matsumoto and later section of LAWR with Reins-Schweer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”