IOWA 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
smiller1

New

Re: IOWA 2011

Post by smiller1 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:13 am

You kids and your hip music...I just can't keep up.

(I do like it though!)

jgalgano

New

Post by jgalgano » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Is La Roux (mainstream song Bulletproof) considered dubstep?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:35 pm

jgalgano wrote:Is La Roux (mainstream song Bulletproof) considered dubstep?

La Roux is technically electropop, though they definitely have ties in the dubstep community. There are a handful of dubstep producers that work with La Roux for remixes and such.

Check out this remix of "In For the Kill" by Skrillex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emu0vQ4bUiw

As for your reference, Bulletproof, here is what it would sound like as a dubstep song. This remix is done by Chrispy, a pretty good producer. As you can see, the song is slowed down to 140 bpm or so, and has a lot more of the "wobble" kind of sound in the track. There are also a lot of level changes and bass drops.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jXiXGJUhfc

jgalgano

New

Post by jgalgano » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:50 pm

I like it, thanks.

maahs07

New

Post by maahs07 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:59 am

Chrispy's Inspector Gadget dubstep is pretty sick....one of my fave's.

I think some ppl mentioned this on the fb group, but did anybody order books yet? Where did you order from and what was the $$ damage?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:16 pm

maahs07 wrote:Chrispy's Inspector Gadget dubstep is pretty sick....one of my fave's.

I think some ppl mentioned this on the fb group, but did anybody order books yet? Where did you order from and what was the $$ damage?
Amazon, < $300 for me.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:50 pm

chrisbru wrote:
maahs07 wrote:Chrispy's Inspector Gadget dubstep is pretty sick....one of my fave's.

Amazon, < $300 for me.
I just ordered mine and I was well north of this. Granted there aren't used copies for some of the books in my section / I have different books / prices go up as people snatch up the cheap used ones. Respectfully I was far south of the book store listed prices.

Edit:

Traehekat or JOT or MOS etc; are there any recommendations on what classes to take second semester for the elective credit?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:03 pm

typ3 wrote:
I just ordered mine and I was well north of this. Granted there aren't used copies for some of the books in my section / I have different books / prices go up as people snatch up the cheap used ones. Respectfully I was far south of the book store listed prices.

Edit:

Traehekat or JOT or MOS etc; are there any recommendations on what classes to take second semester for the elective credit?
That's cuz yous a bitch who don't know deez interwebz.

I'm curious about the elective credit as well.

Anyone in ic tomorrow (Sunday) that wants to get drinks with me, brad, and sam?

goodgrief

New

Post by goodgrief » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:20 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Edit:

That's cuz yous a bitch who don't know deez interwebz.

I'm curious about the elective credit as well.

Anyone in ic tomorrow (Sunday) that wants to get drinks with me, brad, and sam?
Ugh, make it a week from Sunday and I'll be there. Still in Texas, packing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:32 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Amazon, < $300 for me.

Edit:

I took jurisprudence, it won't be offered this spring but I'm not sure I'd recommend it anyway. If you plan on doing Trial Advocacy, then take evidence. It's required. Though you can always take evidence the next fall and do Trial Ad spring of your 2L. Also, it should be noted that Trail Ad is not Moot Court (I didn't know that my first semester). The people I talked to who had negotiations really liked it. It's a skills class, you are required to have one skill class to graduate so that would be a good way to get it done early. People really liked family law too.

This is a link to the registration packet we got in the spring, it has the tentative list of classes available for the spring if you scroll down far enough. Things have changed, one professor died and two others are leaving. So classes taught by Raymond, Sidel, and Baldus will probably not be offered. Also, 1Ls are limited to certain classes.

Spring is more time constrained than the fall, so take something that will be interesting, not necessarily something you think is the most useful.

hawkeye22

Bronze

Post by hawkeye22 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:34 pm

MoS wrote: Spring is more time constrained than the fall
So true

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:11 am

I haven't checked this thread in a while but it looks like y'all are getting along...

Also, i'm going to be an orientation leader and I hope to have a few of you in my group. If you are, please don't act like a jacka$$ :D

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:36 am

How will we know it's you if you don't provide us a real name. Spell it backwards if you're afraid of the c&f board reigning down on you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:34 pm

typ3 wrote:How will we know it's you if you don't provide us a real name. Spell it backwards if you're afraid of the c&f board reigning down on you.
He will be the only one to tell you to stop acting like a jackass. So, my advice is to act like a jackass and see how your FYI leader reacts. Okay, that's probably a bad idea, but it will probably work.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:34 pm

MoS wrote:
typ3 wrote:How will we know it's you if you don't provide us a real name. Spell it backwards if you're afraid of the c&f board reigning down on you.
He will be the only one to tell you to stop acting like a jackass. So, my advice is to act like a jackass and see how your FYI leader reacts. Okay, that's probably a bad idea, but it will probably work.
I think this sounds like flawless advice.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:37 pm

PS - Anyone in town tonight? Hit me up. 515.360.4898

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:24 pm

MoS wrote:
Yo Mos, you know that's true, homie.

You in IC? I'll be there prob tomorrow-thurs. and then back around the 12th...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:47 pm

My place, people coming over starting at 5. 2076 south ridge drive, coralville. If you want to come and need a ride or anything, let me know. Pass this along to anyone else you know.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:28 pm

Sam or any other UI alums, is there a solid facebook group to sell / purchase student tickets on?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:15 pm

typ3 wrote:Sam or any other UI alums, is there a solid facebook group to sell / purchase student tickets on?
I think a lot of people just used the "Class of 2013" Facebook group, however that is obviously just going to reach law students. If there isn't a general one there should be, IMO.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:56 am

MoS wrote:
typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Amazon, < $300 for me.

Edit:

I took jurisprudence, it won't be offered this spring but I'm not sure I'd recommend it anyway. If you plan on doing Trial Advocacy, then take evidence. It's required. Though you can always take evidence the next fall and do Trial Ad spring of your 2L. Also, it should be noted that Trail Ad is not Moot Court (I didn't know that my first semester). The people I talked to who had negotiations really liked it. It's a skills class, you are required to have one skill class to graduate so that would be a good way to get it done early. People really liked family law too.

This is a link to the registration packet we got in the spring, it has the tentative list of classes available for the spring if you scroll down far enough. Things have changed, one professor died and two others are leaving. So classes taught by Raymond, Sidel, and Baldus will probably not be offered. Also, 1Ls are limited to certain classes.

Spring is more time constrained than the fall, so take something that will be interesting, not necessarily something you think is the most useful.
I took Evidence for my elective since it's a Trial Ad prereq. Whiston's teaching style was very scattered. He's a nice person but he hadn't taught the class in over a decade. The curve was a bit tougher than I'd expected too. I'd still say that it was the most important, although not the most enjoyable, class of my 1L year. Evidence issues will come up frequently in criminal law internships and you'll need a healthy understanding of it for the bar too. This year, Stensvaag is teaching Evidence again and he's excellent. There's really no downside to taking evidence.

If you do enroll in the class, I'd recommend the flashcards or Crunchtimes. It's a statutory class so get an aesthetically pleasing summary of the FRE and read it a million times. If Stensvaag's casebook is anything like the one we used, it is useless and only good for illustrations of the Federal Rules of Evidence.

I don't know much about the other electives but I did hear great things about negotiations. It's supposed to be a very practical and low stress class. Only bit of advice I heard is this: don't deviate much from the professor's in-class material.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:30 pm

I'm in Iowa for the day, basically just to unpack my stuff, and it's getting me excited for the upcoming year!

I look forward to meeting the 1L's! You guys will have a helluva time!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:27 pm

+1 to pretty much everything JOT said about Evidence. I basically took it because I know I needed to at some point so might as well get it out of the way. Wasn't terrible, wasn't great. I wouldn't suggest taking it with Whiston, however.
MoS wrote:
I'll go on the opposite end of the spectrum - just don't act like a jackass at all. :P

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:40 pm

traehekat wrote:+1 to pretty much everything JOT said about Evidence. I basically took it because I know I needed to at some point so might as well get it out of the way. Wasn't terrible, wasn't great. I wouldn't suggest taking it with Whiston, however.
MoS wrote:
I'll go on the opposite end of the spectrum - just don't act like a jackass at all. :P

So is there only one TLSer who is going to be a guide for orientation?

Grats on Northwestern, Matt. Did everyone else in the top 2.5%/1% from the 2013 class stick around or is it just that unknown to us 2014ers Iowa is like the titanic? :P

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:32 pm

Pre-party at my house at 5. Hit me up if you need directions or anything. 515.360.4898.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”