IOWA 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ArmyHawkeye

New

IOWA 2011

Post by ArmyHawkeye » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:46 am

Didn't see a thread started yet. Good luck to all!

JOThompson

Silver

Re: IOWA 2011

Post by JOThompson » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:20 am

I'm a 1L at Iowa now. I'm happy to answer any questions about the admissions process or my experience here. The best advice I can offer is to apply early since Iowa saw a large jump in applications last cycle. People who would've normally gotten in with scholarship money at the beginning of the cycle were rejected or waitlisted after applying a couple or few months later.

Also, the school seemed to be more willing to weigh soft factors than other schools in the T20-T30 range. I know a couple applicants with interesting softs and personal statements who were accepted with scholarships despite being below median LSAT. I know that's anecdotal evidence but take it for what it's worth.

This fact may not be widely advertised, but you can qualify for instate tuition in your second and third years if you work quarter-time as an RA/TA. You're paid about minimum wage and receive subsidized healthcare. The positions seem to be available for nearly everyone interested. So if you're out of state and don't get a scholarship, Iowa still might be a financially attractive option. Good luck.

dstr15

New

Post by dstr15 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:28 pm

Thanks for the advice. I submitted my app a few days ago and was wondering how long it took for you to receive a status checker last year? Also do you know how much stricter out of state admission standards are compared to instate. The admission website said they took almost half their class from Iowa.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:50 pm

Last year, I sent my application on 9/12 and had an ISIS status checker account by 9/22. My admission letter came in mid-November or early December. Sent you a PM regarding your second question.

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:18 pm

dstr15 wrote: Also do you know how much stricter out of state admission standards are compared to instate. The admission website said they took almost half their class from Iowa.
Actually, can you help me answering this question as well (via pm or posting)? I am considering applying to U Iowa, but my numbers are not very competitive and I am an out of state resident. TIA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:30 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:
dstr15 wrote: Also do you know how much stricter out of state admission standards are compared to instate. The admission website said they took almost half their class from Iowa.
Actually, can you help me answering this question as well (via pm or posting)? I am considering applying to U Iowa, but my numbers are not very competitive and I am an out of state resident. TIA.

Me too-- about the residency question! I'm also out of state, applied on October 1st. I have no idea if my numbers are competitive or not haha :( I doubt it though.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:14 am

I've seen a broad range of LSAT/GPA numbers in other 1Ls. A few of my friends are splitters or reverse splitters. I didn't think I'd be accepted either (GPA > 75th, LSAT < median), but I was pleasantly surprised. Don't be too discouraged if one of your numbers is at or a bit below median. You may not have a strong chance at that point but you're still alive IMO. If both your GPA and LSAT are below median, that might be a different story, but it's still not impossible. I know one student (non-URM) with both numbers hovering around the 25th percentile. Only way you'll know is if you apply--and soon. I can't stress that enough. Collins Byrd said the school's applications went up by about 35% last year. I'll be away for the weekend but I'll attempt to answer any questions you all might have.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:49 pm

Under Review *

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:21 pm

I applied 9/2, application was "received" 9/20 and I am "in review" as of today.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Trip Coker

New

Post by Trip Coker » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:01 pm

I hadn't logged into the Iowa status checker yet but this thread made me curious. FWIW...

Admission Decision: In Progress

Good luck to everyone.

ns77770

Bronze

Post by ns77770 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:05 pm

Trip Coker wrote:I hadn't logged into the Iowa status checker yet but this thread made me curious. FWIW...

Admission Decision: In Progress

Good luck to everyone.
+1
Last edited by ns77770 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trip Coker

New

Post by Trip Coker » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:36 pm

Yes, the application is complete. Sorry for any ambiguity. Also, the "Admission Decision: In Progress" is from the ISIS site. I went through my old e-mails and discovered that they also have the more tradional status checker which said...

Current Status: In Review
Current Status Date: 10/19/2010
Decision Status: Application Received
Decision Status Date: 10/12/2010

I figured it would be worth it to clarify because I didn't want to start a discussion about the difference between a status of "In Progress" vs. "In Review". :wink:

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:45 pm

Trip Coker wrote:Yes, the application is complete. Sorry for any ambiguity. Also, the "Admission Decision: In Progress" is from the ISIS site. I went through my old e-mails and discovered that they also have the more tradional status checker which said...

I figured it would be worth it to clarify because I didn't want to start a discussion about the difference between a status of "In Progress" vs. "In Review". :wink:
Mine is exact same with dates :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ns77770

Bronze

Post by ns77770 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:11 pm

Trip Coker wrote:Yes, the application is complete. Sorry for any ambiguity. Also, the "Admission Decision: In Progress" is from the ISIS site. I went through my old e-mails and discovered that they also have the more tradional status checker which said...

I checked my email and can't find the other status checker... Can someone PM me a link?

EDIT: never mind I found it and am in review also... with the same dates as you all

Amir N

Bronze

Post by Amir N » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:57 pm

Hello to all. I noticed that Iowa's admission numbers seem to be lower compared to other similarly ranked schools in the T20ish range. Does Iowa have better job placement compared to those other lower ranked schools that have similar admission numbers to warrant its high ranking? Just curious...

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:30 am

Amir N wrote:Hello to all. I noticed that Iowa's admission numbers seem to be lower compared to other similarly ranked schools in the T20ish range. Does Iowa have better job placement compared to those other lower ranked schools that have similar admission numbers to warrant its high ranking? Just curious...
This data is a starting point, although it's not current: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

Iowa's job placement is relatively similar to its actual ranking (31 v. 26). Placement would undoubtedly be better if we had a large home market to fall back on. It's true that Iowa's admission requirements are more relaxed than those of other schools in the T20-30, but that won't put you at a disadvantage when searching for a job. If you look at the USNWR judge/lawyer assessment scores for Iowa, it's at 3.9/5.0, which is respectable for the T30. That's arguably a more important factor than the general rankings IMO.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:40 am

Amir N wrote:Hello to all. I noticed that Iowa's admission numbers seem to be lower compared to other similarly ranked schools in the T20ish range. Does Iowa have better job placement compared to those other lower ranked schools that have similar admission numbers to warrant its high ranking? Just curious...
Iowa 1L here. Iowa consistently has pretty high peer ratings and employer ratings, which is probably reflective of the great legal writing program here. I think this allows Iowa to take more of a holistic approach to admissions, like JOThompson said, and still be able to maintain its ranking. Iowa just has a good reputation throughout the Midwest.

Does any of this translate to better/worse job placement than other schools in the 25-35 range? Probably not, at least in this economy. If you know where you want to work, then go to school in that area. I wouldn't choose one school over another solely based on the fact its ranked 5-7 spots higher. That said, if you aren't sure where you want to work, Iowa places pretty well throughout the entire Midwest, whereas I think other similarly ranked schools may be a little more confined to their area.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:59 pm

Come to Iowa. It's sweet.

And listen to Trae and TO...they're good people...

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:30 pm

Submitted my app last week, and officially join this thread. Good luck everyone.

skirschner1

New

Post by skirschner1 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:40 pm

Just submitted my app today.

fedexmalcom

New

Post by fedexmalcom » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:56 pm

Just received an email. Is this an admission? I cant stand if it is an April joke.

Dear XXX

I am pleased to inform you that the Admissions Committee of The University of Iowa College of Law has voted to admit you to the first year class entering in August 2011. Within a short time you will receive more detailed information concerning your admission from the University Admissions Office.

We are happy to have you with us and look forward to seeing you in the fall. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call 1-800-553-4692 ext. 9095 (8:00 am to 4:30 pm) or 319-335-9095 or email law-admissions@uiowa.edu.

Congratulations on your acceptance to The University of Iowa College of Law and welcome to the legal profession.

Sincerely,

Collins B. Byrd, Jr.
Assistant Dean of Admissions

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fedexmalcom

New

Post by fedexmalcom » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:59 pm

I would like to share with you, assuming it is an admission instead of a joke.
If I find out it is a *** joke or a mistake, I will be deeply disappointed.
Last circle I saw someone received an offer from a famous law school by mistake
and it was shortly cancelled.

submitted 10/21
completed 10/22
decision rendered 11/5
lsat:167

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:59 pm

If this is a joke, it's cruel. If not, it seems like you got in. In that case, congrats!

Does your status checker change?

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:31 pm

fedexmalcom wrote:I would like to share with you, assuming it is an admission instead of a joke.

submitted 10/21
completed 10/22
decision rendered 11/5
I can't remember which school it was, but I do remember that I read that some people were admitted on accident last year. That would suck.

Iowa sent me an email earlier this cycle for transfer students, but sent me another email informing me to disregard the erroneous transfer email within a few minutes. I would think that this email you got is a real acceptance since you didn't get a follow-up email telling you to disregard. Plus, I met Collins at a law school fair and he was really cool. He would't punk you like this. So congrats! :)

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:48 pm

vegenator wrote:
fedexmalcom wrote:I would like to share with you, assuming it is an admission instead of a joke.

submitted 10/21
completed 10/22
decision rendered 11/5
I can't remember which school it was, but I do remember that I read that some people were admitted on accident last year. That would suck.

Iowa sent me an email earlier this cycle for transfer students, but sent me another email informing me to disregard the erroneous transfer email within a few minutes. I would think that this email you got is a real acceptance since you didn't get a follow-up email telling you to disregard. Plus, I met Collins at a law school fair and he was really cool. He would't punk you like this. So congrats! :)

i wonder why there has just been this one acceptance... i heard they wouldn't come til dec?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”